Hurricane Matthew - Sept-Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm in Savannah - a bit worried about what to do if this hits. Is there anyone in this community from Savannah?

Otto, I hope that you are getting out of the area. Please be safe.

One of my sons is stationed in Mayport (Jacksonville). He *finally* evacuated yesterday around 1pm, headed to Pensacola to stay with his dad and twin brother, along with his roomie and the roomie's dog.
Took them four extra hours to get there due to traffic getting out of JAX.
If the storm surge is as bad as they think it will be, I don't know when he'll be able to get back into the city.

Good morning. Just checking in before the power goes out. WJXT is showing photos of damage as close as Orange Park (trees down on houses, causing bad damage).

Thankfully it doesn't look like it will be worse case--but will be bad enough. Thinking of everyone in the path. Be safe everyone.

Just starting to get the first bands (on the westside). Tornado warning just issued this second.

I have been following you as best I can, Jax49. Hope all stays reasonably well for you, no major scares or damage.

Otto, trying to check on you often. Hope you get out of there before long. Sounds pretty scary. Be safe.

''Sending "be well" hopes to all in the path of this monstrous weather.

Dropping by to check on otto and others. You guys be safe. I just heard them say it is still a category three. That's unreal.

Good morning. Just checking in before the power goes out. WJXT is showing photos of damage as close as Orange Park (trees down on houses, causing bad damage).

Thankfully it doesn't look like it will be worse case--but will be bad enough. Thinking of everyone in the path. Be safe everyone.

Just starting to get the first bands (on the westside). Tornado warning just issued this second.

Stay safe Jax! I am in the New Berlin/Yellow Bluff (Oceanway-ish) area and hadn't heard about the tornado watch. Our lights have flickered quite a few times but, thankfully, are still on. My sister lives off Monument and has been without lights for a while now. I did see that they closed the Dames Point Bridge around 11 so I am guessing if the wind picks up much more the other bridges will follow. Please stay safe everyone!!

My daughter left Orlando late yesterday afternoon with a friend and 2 cats, and made it safely to the Naples/Marco Island area and is staying with family.

She said that all hotels are fully booked up and down the gulf side of Florida and there were lots of people who fled with no place to go and begging last night to sleep in hotel lobbies.

Just popping in to check on everybody! Family in Titusville with 8 kittys are fine and my friend is doing good too. They still had power. I'm ready for Matthew to go away... dissipate.

Over 800 dead in Haiti :rose:

I'm still keeping Florida, Georgia and South Carolina in my thoughts and prayers. The flooding is going to be bad. Be safe EVERYONE! It is comforting to see Websleuth members checking in and being okay! My :heartbeat: is pounding for all of you in Matthew's path.

Anybody who needs a dog-friendly place to stay in SC, I have a couch and plenty of wine! :seeya:

Anybody who needs a dog-friendly place to stay in SC, I have a couch and plenty of wine! :seeya:

Awww! You're so kind! I am reading some great stories of kindness here! WebSleuthers are AMAZING people!

Rumor here, is that Matthew's winds may push Nicole north and produce a nor'easter! It's too early to tell, of course, but that's what some are starting to report.

Hurricane Nicole, a newer system gathering strength in the Atlantic, is currently no threat, but some forecasting models leave open the possibility it could point toward New Jersey. Some forecasters say it could merge with elements of Matthew and produce nor'easters that could impact the Northeast.

http://patch.com/new-jersey/oceancity/n-j-primed-worse-storms-sandy-another-hurricane-forms-experts

I have to leave shortly and wont be back until this eve. Please be safe all. I'll check in later. And yes so many big hearts here.

Praying for you! We are just starting to get some steady rain here in southeast Georgia.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Prayers for everyone in the path of this hurricane. As I stated before, my son evacuated a few days ago with his 2 dogs and is safe and sound. He is planning on probably heading back tomorrow. I must say as a mom of a son in a hurricane area I give HUGE kudos to the governor. I have had his twitter site open for days and he doesn't mince words, he keeps everyone informed as to what is going on, he had federal approvals for things BEFORE this hurricane even got to FL, and he seems to geniunely care about the people in FL. Honestly, he has helped calm me down by keeping everyone informed, links, info, etc. I wish he was the governor here - we need people like him who really don't put everything into politically correct terminology and talks to the people and keeps them informed up to the minute.

We have offered to open our home to anyone seeking shelter We have 2 extra bedrooms and looking for Pet people.. Don't leave them behind. If anyone knows of someone shoot me a pm

842 deaths now in Haiti being reported.

(per weather channel..live..no link as is on tv)

Am hoping all continue to remain as safe as can be who are in its path still, or are in potential flood and surge areas.

The image is from yesterday afternoon:

NASA sees Hurricane Matthew develop concentric eyewalls
Phys.Org
Oct 7 16

13-nasaseeshurr.jpg

~

From NASA area http://phys.org/news/2016-10-hurricane-matthew-roofs-nasa-center.html

"...About an hour earlier, around 8:30 am, Category 3 Matthew shaved past the NASA launchpad just 26 miles (42 kilometers) off the tip of Cape Canaveral.
Winds gusting up to 107 miles (172 kilometers) per hour followed by weaker tropical storm force winds are expected to continue until late Friday.
Officials warned that Cape Canaveral could see eight to 12 inches (20 to 30 centimeters) of rain, with storm surges of one to five feet.
Most employees were evacuated, but a skeleton crew of 116 people rode out the hurricane at Kennedy Space Center.
Their mission is to report on significant events to the Emergency Operations Center, located in the Launch Control Center at Complex 39, and take any actions needed to keep the facility secure..."

As an aside, on Nicole

If you scroll down to Hotels and accomadations in this statement the governor states "Airbnb is expanding activation of the Disaster Response Tool beyond coastal South Carolina to include portions of Florida. Please visit https://www.airbnb.com/disaster/florida to find available lodging.
Airbnb is asking hosts to aid in this effort by listing their available rooms or homes on the platform to help house the growing number of evacuees.
Local residents impacted by Hurricane Matthew will be able to secure emergency accommodations through the tool free of charge from now through October 12th"

Since Airbnb is letting people utilize this free during the hurricane - maybe you can post there - God Bless you for doing this and opening your home to someone.

copy of FL governors statement: http://www.flgov.com/2016/10/07/gov...efforts-as-storm-continues-to-impact-florida/

oops this was supposed to be a reply to Katrina1978's post, but I goofed up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back