I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications for my subscriptions - please help!

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Eagle1 said:
I don't think the first "bug" applies to us. The second one basically says that if you click the "report spam" button accidentally, "you will cause yourself to be removed from that mailing list."

I'm not sure but it sounds as if this happens when you block a specific user, (and not the list itself), from contacting you through e-mail, (even if you hit the "report spam" button by accident), but the bounce back goes to the list administrator, and not to the specific user. I could be reading this incorrectly because I'm not real clear on things of this nature but if it is as it seems to read, then it doesn't apply to my situation, and probably not yours either. I know for a fact that I haven't blocked anything from WS, and I have always been careful with my SPAM button.

"The reply to the blocked post goes to the list ERRORS-TO address and not to the person who is blocked. So, the list member thinks they've successfully blocked posts from that person, yet what happens is the bounces come to the list's administrative box. Therefore, the list administrator removes the person who put the block up (many lists cause this to be done automatically) rather than deal with error messages every time an individual posts to the list."

http://www.darsys.com/panth/aol.html

BUG#2: Mail Delivery and/or Unsubscription Issues

There is another bug caused by a new feature in AOL versions 8 and higher for the PC and version X for the Macintosh. I do not believe AOL is aware of this bug.

These new versions have a "REPORT SPAM" button. If you use it -- even accidentally-- on a piece of mail from this mailing list (actually any mailing list running from Majordomo or Mailman), you will cause yourself to be removed from that mailing list. An explanation follows:

If you click the button, the person who posted the message is added to your PERSONAL block list and the legitimate mail is reported as spam to AOL. That part is what one would expect. However, here's the bug: When that person posts again, their mail to you is blocked just as you wanted. AOL's mail software (correctly) attempts to send a "You have been blocked" message -- and therein lies the bug.

The reply to the blocked post goes to the list ERRORS-TO address and not to the person who is blocked. So, the list member thinks they've successfully blocked posts from that person, yet what happens is the bounces come to the list's administrative box. Therefore, the list administrator removes the person who put the block up (many lists cause this to be done automatically) rather than deal with error messages every time an individual posts to the list. Be careful with your REPORT SPAM button.

Best Regards,
<Signed>
Eric A. Seiden, List Administrator
---------------------------------------------------------------
I am wondering if I hit the Report Spam button now on an email from WS? There is always that possibility. But if I understand this correctly, I cannot correct this error, only WS can?

Florida said:
But if I understand this correctly, I cannot correct this error, only WS can?
That's what it sounds like to me ... that WS administration would have to check to see if we are actually on their mailing lists or not.

I just noticed when I hit Submit Reply the Thread Subscription box goes from Instant Email Notification to Blank while the reply is loading.??

The more I am thinking about it the more I think I just may have reported such an email. You see xmission.com is a domain I would not have been familiar with, and I am not smart enough to think Wbsleuth would belong only to Websleuths.

Shoot. Since I post rarely, and run in spurts, I am wondering if these notifications coming from xmission.com is something new, or did they always come from there?

Florida said:
The more I am thinking about it the more I think I just may have reported such an email. You see xmission.com is a domain I would not have been familiar with, and I am not smart enough to think Wbsleuth would belong only to Websleuths.
I wouldn't beat yourself up over the possibility. I am not receiving e-mails either, and I know for sure that I never hit the "report spam" button by accident. So it's probably unrelated to that.

This is a copy of an email I sent to Tricia.

Hi, AOL suggested I send an email to this domain and see if I can receive one back. They suggested once again that the forum owner call AOL and ask to be whitelisted. This is the link I found on that subject at AOL.
http://postmaster.info.aol.com/tools/whitelist_guides.html

Have you contacted AOL regarding our problem?

They also suggested I get a yahoo account or gmail account to see if I received my subscription notices but I am not rushing into that until I hear what the forum can do. I don't know what you allow and don't allow now. Another suggestion was to change to another one of my screen names and see if that worked. I would try that if I could change it back to the screen name I use most of the time. None of these suggestions really appeal to me.

Would appreciate knowing if you had any luck with AOL before I do any more experimenting. Thanks.

A quick email to see if I receive it will be greatly appreciated. Florida

JerseyGirl, I started with the Live Tech site and this is a copy of part of the conversation.

TechLiveKAGA says, It seems that the domain has been blocked by the CAT department you will need to call them and I am sure that this issue will be resolved.
You say, not sure that is what i need
You say, oh so you can see it is being blocked?
You say, is that just for me or all aol users?
You say, CAT stands for ?
TechLiveKAGA says, You will need to call the CAT department at Toll Free 1-888-265-3733.
TechLiveKAGA says, CAT stands for Community Action Team .
You say, oh ok, tks
TechLiveKAGA says, You're welcome.
You say, and you say they can resolve this, good
You say, hopeful here
TechLiveKAGA says, i am sure that this issue will be resolved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

MANY TRANSFERS LATER ONCE CALLING THAT NUMBER DID NOT RESOLVE THE PROBLEM. FLORIDA

Edited to add:

Just made another call to CAT department and they say the domain has not been blocked. I have rec'd a reply from Tricia, and I am sending her the link to this thread.

There's still three of us.

The problem started right around Daylight Savings time change, for all three of us, correct? In about three weeks, I've had a total of three notifications trickle through whatever block there is wherever, so I guess I didn't accidentally hit the Report Spam button or anything.

An AOL tech contact said their postmaster could unblock. The link to their postmaster is in the email from Florida.

There's still three of us, everyone please remember.

Yes Eagle, around the change of time. I did have to change the time at one forum, but I didn't think it was this one. It took me ages to get it right cause I didn't know if it was + or - . I hate to appear so stupid. Notice the word appear, lol. In this thread it points out all I don't know about computers. Sending you a pm by the way.

Now I will sign off and see if I get an email notice when you PM me back, as part of my experiment. Tks.

Well Eagle, I did not get an email notice of your PM. So, I would assume I am not getting any email notices from Websleuths. Did you get an email notice of my PM to you???

Tricia, if you read this thread, you may find this information useful.

Tricia, also from Eagle's pm, she is only receiving subscription notices very sporadically, so there are three of us still having problems. I think the problem lies with Xmission if they send out notices of pm's too.

Florida said:
Tricia, also from Eagle's pm, she is only receiving subscription notices very sporadically, so there are three of us still having problems. I think the problem lies with Xmission if they send out notices of pm's too.

No, Xmission has nothing to do with the notifications.

The software sends you your notifications to the email you registered with.

Florida said:
Just made another call to CAT department and they say the domain has not been blocked.
Oh no, then what the heck is going on?????? I didn't change anything!!!! :waitasec: :( :waitasec: :( :waitasec: :(

Eagle1 said:
The problem started right around Daylight Savings time change, for all three of us, correct? In about three weeks, I've had a total of three notifications trickle through whatever block there is wherever, so I guess I didn't accidentally hit the Report Spam button or anything.
Yes, it was around daylight savings time. In about three weeks, I've received nothing at all.

Florida said:
Yes Eagle, around the change of time. I did have to change the time at one forum, but I didn't think it was this one. It took me ages to get it right cause I didn't know if it was + or - . I hate to appear so stupid. Notice the word appear, lol. In this thread it points out all I don't know about computers. Sending you a pm by the way.
I don't know about the whole plus or minus thing either ... lol! :)

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - Something is wrong with this site.

Check out this thread ... it's from March & it's not very long. What has me curious is the first post. When she checks a box, nothing happens. I wonder if all of these problems are related to a software issue at WS that just manifests itself differently for all of us based on our own settings/ISP/configurations?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexoing
Back