I am no longer receiving e-mail notifications for my subscriptions - please help!

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Florida said:
Teedie, that is the kind of PM Camper used to receive and now they seem to be changed to the Instant ones. She is not on AOL. I wish we could have read her post. When she was describing her notices had multiple or all the posts in them, I had no idea what she meant.

Jersey, I started getting the few emails I have (3) after I changed my settings as described in my PM to you. Agree with your hesitation.

I am going to change this thread to Daily and see what happens.

Teedie did you put ALL your threads on Daily and the default under Emails from the Forum options on Weekly?

Florida, thanks for helping me out!

I have one thread set on Instant, one on Daily, and one on Weekly.

And I will say, by far the simplest way to set the frequency of notices is when you make a post in that thread! It worked. But you do have to make a post for it to take effect.

I am wondering, at this point, what shape everyone is in? With their computers and notifications, I mean....

I'm going to look at Edit Options again, don't think I hit "go", but meanwhile, since you're here, Teedie or anyone who knows,

Do I want to enable or use SSL 2.0, 3.0, TLS 1.0 in Internet Properties? Can I also ask the following 3 questions?

(Q. 1) What the heck does all that, those three things, mean? (Q. 2) Do I for sure want to use "Warn if forms submittal is being re-directed? (Q.3) What exactly is Java and Java Script, and do I want to use Java 2. and the rest of the three or four things under it?

Okay, I'm making this Forum Finesse thread "Daily", temporarily at least, just as an experiment. And one I don't read much is now Weekly.

Congratulations, JerseyGirl! Are WS things getting better, generally speaking?

We've all received at least one notification. Just in the last couple of days.

Eagle, I had no idea what you were talking about with all those settings. I went into Internet Explorer and clicked on a lot of stuff just to see what was there. Way, way over my head. I did see 2.0 and 3.0 enabled, TLS 1.0 was not. TEEDIE, when in doubt do you use Default Settings?

I need Java in Chat as I am not on MIRC. I need Java at some sites I go into like local government sites and property listing sites too. I think I have Sun Java. Interesting they wanted to update it today, and I didn't do it right so it was not downloaded. They started asking too many questions I didn't know the answers to during the process. Java can be a problem, or give you problems, it is not as good as being able to use MIRC. That's all I know about that. In chat they keep telling me I should download MIRC and get off the Java there. I might try it with this computer.

I did discover once you leave the forum it takes a while to have your name taken off the list of people at the forum. At least it did for me. I was in chat, clicked off the forum, and it took awhile for my name not to show. Since I could have the person in chat check it out for me, I wanted to determine if I showed at being in the forum when I was in chat. Seems that is not the case. I figured it would be one more fluke with my system if that were the case.

Batting zero for any emails today since I changed my settings to Daily. Oh my, I am just so tired of this problem. Will be anxious to know how you all are doing with the email notices.

SSL 2.0, 3.0 enabled is default. Tls 1.0 disabled is default.

SSL means Secure Sockets Layer. What does that mean? I dunno. So I looked here:

http://www.webopedia.com/

SSL (pronounced as separate letters) Short for Secure Sockets Layer, a protocol developed by Netscape for transmitting private documents via the Internet. SSL works by using a private key to encrypt data that's transferred over the SSL connection. Both Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer support SSL, and many Web sites use the protocol to obtain confidential user information, such as credit card numbers. By convention, URLs that require an SSL connection start with https: instead of http:.

Think about PayPal - their URL starts with https.

Warn if forms submittal is being redirected. Well, I looked that up, some say enable, some say disable. I had enabled mine - so I think disabled is default. But .. I'm not sure. So, now I have disabled it.

I have left a question about this at a computer forum.

My Internet Option settings don't show anything for Java. I wonder if I disabled it? If so, I wonder why? LOLOL

Anyway, I left a question on the puter forum about Java, too.

If you all made a thread Daily, you probably won't get your list until tomorrow morning!

And - Eagle, I hope the thread you made Weekly doesn't have a lot of traffic, from anyone! You could be overwhelmed when you get the notification, if it's a busy thread!

I put the Georgia toddlers thread on Daily yesterday, and this morning that email notification contained 219 posts, from yesterday, and Print Preview was 90 pages!

Florida .. remember, if you changed your settings to daily, that really means once a day ... tomorrow morning your email program may be really stressed out! :D

I rarely ever change any defaults, unless I know what I'm doing, and I don't usually know what I'm doing! And sometimes I don't even know I've done it!

Keep the faith! :)

And, JerseyGirl ... looking forward to hearing from you in the morning!

Thanks Teedie. I decided to use Quick Reply and see what happens. I can't believe how adventurous I am becoming, lol.

Oh, you click the pencil icon to activate Quick Reply. Monkey see, monkey do, I thought I'd try it too, and it's helpful to be able to scroll back up to someone's previous post to jog your memory about what you want to say. There's no Notifications box with it unless editing.

And Java vs. MIRC? I have no idea what that is, hope Teedie's post defines them both. I have no idea what I was talking about either. The one thread I made Weekly is a really old one that I never was much interested in. In a day or two I'll change the Daily back to Instant, probably.

It's Thursday morning and nobody but Teedie, in the CENTRAL TIME ZONE, received any Notifications, correct JerseyGirl?

We're all three in EASTERN. I forget where Camper is, anyone remember? CENTRAL? You suppose that has anything to do with all this?

At least we're learning a lot. And we need to know who sends out the WS notifications, vBulletin, xMission, or someone we know, or if maybe they're sent from FFJ. And if so, what will that mean?

Florida said:
Jersey, congratulations. Yes, I have been leaving them in my Inbox too, just in case I need to refer to them. So you have not changed any settings, or done anything lately. Are you on Instant notification or Daily?

Was that a notice from MailerDamon? And it was not an email you sent? They are the ones that return mail for AOL, need to read down on the message to see who it went to etc. I assume you did that?

WOW, I have never rec'd a notice from"our" thread. You were not signed on to WS, therefore got an email?
Only that one e-mail; nothing more. I have it on instant notification, BTW.

Yes, a mailerdaemon message - not an e-mail I sent. I read through the details but can't say that I understand them.

Yes, I was signed on to WS at the time - I've always gotten them while I was signed on.

teedie2 said:
I am wondering, at this point, what shape everyone is in? With their computers and notifications, I mean....
Only that one e-mail for me yesterday, teedie. :(

Honestly though, that one e-mail was all I needed to see that my computer is, indeed, set up to receive these messages. I haven't had any problems with any other sites or people that send me e-mail so I am going to assume for now that it is a software issue with WS.

teedie2 said:
SSL 2.0, 3.0 enabled is default. Tls 1.0 disabled is default.

SSL means Secure Sockets Layer. What does that mean? I dunno. So I looked here:

http://www.webopedia.com/

SSL (pronounced as separate letters) Short for Secure Sockets Layer, a protocol developed by Netscape for transmitting private documents via the Internet. SSL works by using a private key to encrypt data that's transferred over the SSL connection. Both Netscape Navigator and Internet Explorer support SSL, and many Web sites use the protocol to obtain confidential user information, such as credit card numbers. By convention, URLs that require an SSL connection start with https: instead of http:.

Think about PayPal - their URL starts with https.

Warn if forms submittal is being redirected. Well, I looked that up, some say enable, some say disable. I had enabled mine - so I think disabled is default. But .. I'm not sure. So, now I have disabled it.

I have left a question about this at a computer forum.

My Internet Option settings don't show anything for Java. I wonder if I disabled it? If so, I wonder why? LOLOL
If I'm not mistaken, SSL is the technology that encrypts the data before it is transmitted so that it cannot be intercepted by hackers. I am not certain but surely wouldn't disable it on my computer.

"Warn if forms submittal is being redirected" sounds scary to me. I don't know what the default is but it sounds like it COULD also be related to Internet security. Again, I would keep that setting where it is without knowing more.

Java is also important. I believe it has to do with Web browsing. I had a Java issue on an old computer, and pages wouldn't open, etc. It was a real pain in the *advertiser censored*s until I finally got it all put back together.

Bottom line ... never change settings unless you are 100% sure ahead of time the impact that the change is going to make. I certainly wouldn't suggest you guys changing all kinds of settings regarding these issues at WS because we're not even certain that the problems are within our settings. Like I said, I got e-mails from WS, and then I didn't. Nothing else had changed.

My Internet settings are all set for the default.

Except one.

Under Browsing: Reuse windows for launching shortcuts. Default is enabled.

If it is enabled, and you want to open another page, it closes the page you are on. Just boots you right out. Most inconvenient. I usually have several browser pages open, back and forthing, etc.

So, that's all I disable.

Having a bad thought here. Have you all run Housecall or Panda free virus scanners? Norton's et al can be disabled by some viruses, and you can't tell it. But Housecall and Panda are downloaded each time you use them, and they are not infected. Free! :) I always double check with one or the other.

As for Java, I don't know why it is not on my Advanced settings tab. There is a program that checks your computer for Java, and gives you the version:

http://www.michaelhorowitz.com/javatester.results.html

I am running Java Version 1.1.4 from Microsoft Corpration.

Nice to know.

Actually .. if you have WinXP with SP 2, is Java stuff listed on your Advanced settings tab?

No Emails of any kind since 4/26 at 5:40 pm. Changing to Daily from Instant has made no difference at all except back to batting 0. Guess I'd rather have our problem than Camper's problem posting, etc.

From Teedie: Having a bad thought here. Have you all run Housecall or Panda free virus scanners?

Answer is No. I ran Norton last night. No viruses. I always check the icons and make sure they say enabled when I sign on. The only trouble I have had is when you download a large PDF file, the Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect gets disabled and you have to put it back on. I found this out by accident when on my son's laptop and went into Auto-Protect to read help stuff. Now I always check after using Adobe and reading a large PDF file.

Java - Sun is my Java program. 2.1 (I can't remember what number the update had - the one that I couldn't download)

I got two more MailerDaemon e-mails today for messages that I didn't send. I wonder what that's about all of a sudden.

Malware? A worm?

Are the email addys unknown to you? Does daemon tell you what the emails say? If you open them, that is.

teedie2 said:
Malware? A worm?

Are the email addys unknown to you? Does daemon tell you what the emails say? If you open them, that is.
I honestly think that there is no possible way for anything to get into my computer at this point. I have every security measure that I can use in conjunction with each other, I never download anything. It happened in the past, and also on my old computer but this is the 3rd in two days.

There is no message within the e-mails. They only say Mailbox Not Found, contain several addresses that I don't recognize, and have titles like "Old Pictures". Now I'm paranoid about what was said earlier on the thread about posting our settings on this thread! lol!

I had the same problem Camper is having earlier today. Lost a post to Angellique about her quilt. System could not find server when I hit submit...

From Teedie: Under Browsing: Reuse windows for launching shortcuts. Default is enabled.

Okay this was checked when I went into Advanced settings. I assume that means enabled. So I unchecked it. I stopped receiving notices from another forum of replies to posts. So, I went back in and checked it and am now getting the emails (from another forum).

I am very tired of trying to figure this out. We all need to email Tricia and ask if she has contacted Xmission regarding our problem.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseHase
Back