IN IN- George Curtis, 54, data processor, last seen leaving the Unicorn Lounge, fatally bludgeoned & stabbed, @ home, Lawrence, 19 December 1993.

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Plantlover96

Reaction score
My great uncle George Curtis was brutally murdered in Indianapolis, Indiana December 19-20,1993 in his apartment. They are unsure of his exact date of death. He was a gay man in his 50s. He was strangled, stabbed, and left with a piece of his skull missing. He lived on the east side of Indianapolis, and was within a couple miles of I-70, and within 10 miles from one of the bars Herb was known to lure victims. I have contacted Marion County numerous times trying to get answers about my uncles case, and recently about how I believe Herb could have killed him. I always have to leave a message to no avail. I also cannot find my uncle listed on any cold case websites, and oddly enough only one news article that was VERY difficult to find from 1993 briefly mentioned a man was found slain in his apartment. It’s like he never existed or was murdered to them. You can easily find other information from around the same time period of others in Indianapolis that had been murdered, but nothing on my uncle. My grandmother (his sister) has said from day one they never treated this as a true investigation and it never went very far, she felt they truly didn’t care at the time because he was an older gay man. I have reached out to multiple different organizations in hopes to get some help. If any of you can offer any advice as to what I should do to help this get moved in the right direction quicker would be amazing and so appreciated. Thank you!

My great uncle George Curtis was brutally murdered in Indianapolis, Indiana December 19-20,1993 in his apartment. They are unsure of his exact date of death. He was a gay man in his 50s. He was strangled, stabbed, and left with a piece of his skull missing. He lived on the east side of Indianapolis, and was within a couple miles of I-70, and within 10 miles from one of the bars Herb was known to lure victims. I have contacted Marion County numerous times trying to get answers about my uncles case, and recently about how I believe Herb could have killed him. I always have to leave a message to no avail. I also cannot find my uncle listed on any cold case websites, and oddly enough only one news article that was VERY difficult to find from 1993 briefly mentioned a man was found slain in his apartment. It’s like he never existed or was murdered to them. You can easily find other information from around the same time period of others in Indianapolis that had been murdered, but nothing on my uncle. My grandmother (his sister) has said from day one they never treated this as a true investigation and it never went very far, she felt they truly didn’t care at the time because he was an older gay man. I have reached out to multiple different organizations in hopes to get some help. If any of you can offer any advice as to what I should do to help this get moved in the right direction quicker would be amazing and so appreciated. Thank you!
DNA forensics have come a long, long way since 1993. IMHO, your best chance is to see if you can get crowdfunding to have Othram (miracle workers) to retest any DNA evidence.

Amateur opinion and speculation

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-indianapolis-star-man-slain-in-lawre/153964009/
By Erica Franklin STAR STAFF WRITER
'' A Lawrence man found slain in his home died of blunt force injuries and multiple stab wounds in the upper body, investigators said Tuesday. The slaying of George Curtis, 54, a data processor for the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission, probably was the work of someone who knew the victim, Lawrence police said. Curtis was struck in the head, said Lawrence Lt. J.D. Bush, although the detective would not specify what object was used.''
The Indianapolis Star Archive

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the-indianapolis-star-lawrence-man-found/153963984/
Indianapolis, Indiana • Tue, Dec 21, 1993Page 21

''A Lawrence man was found dead in his apartment Monday morning, the victim of an apparent homicide, police said. The body of George Curtis, 54, was in a pool of blood on the living room floor, said Lawrence Police Lt. J.D. Bush. Bush said there were no cuts on Curtis' body, but he declined to elaborate on the cause of death pending an autopsy.
The Indianapolis Star Archive
Curtis' boss contacted police after the victim failed to show up for work Sunday and Monday. Curtis, who lived alone at Frenchman's Court Apartments, 8719 Rue Riviera, was employed by the Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission. "He was punctual," Bush said. Commission member Frederick Corban said Curtis worked in data processing for several years. Bush said it was too early to determine a motive in the death.

Some wonder if George may have been a victim of SK HRB..

''By the summer of 1993, employees of Baumeister noticed his increasing volatility and long periods of absence during the workday. Financial strain and lawsuits against the company for nonpayment of services hampered business.  

As Sav-A-Lot spiraled out of control, a series of macabre events occurred. Between 1992 and 1994, numerous gay men had been reported missing in the Midwest. ''

@dotr

Did you have a map going on Jerry Williams-Comer (potential HB victim)??

I believe the Unicorn Lounge where George was last confirmed sighted outside of his apartment is relatively close to the Club where Jerry was seen.

I include this map below with three points of interest:
- HB residence;
- The Unicorn Lounge location (closed in June of 2012);
- George's apartment location (now known as the "Marten Court Apartments"); and
- His car found at 4214 N Post Road.

Interesting to note that the Unicorn Lounge is only a 36 minute drive from HB's residence.

Another very interesting item that I've managed to locate on the Unicorn Lounge was that it was the only Gay Bar, at the time, that featured Male Strippers.
Today, at 77, Eckert covers all the bases, owning the Unicorn Club, 122 W. 13th St., which features male strippers, as well as Club Venus, 3535 W. 16th St., which has female strippers.

This post on QueerCity also includes newspaper photos of a story covering the disappeared men and talks to how it was the Gay Press who was getting the word out on the street with very little help or coverage by the MSM (also pis of the 501 Club etc). You don't need an account to view the post on Instagram as I don't have one:

Is it possible that HB sometimes visited the bars (501 Club & Unicorn Lounge) in search of something 'different'? Ie: entertainment of watching Male Strippers at the Unicorn Lounge, again the only gay bar in Indiana that featured them?

Travelling certainly wasn't an issue for him given that the victims were from Indiana and some were dumped in Ohio.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sharlafields
Back