Found Deceased IA - Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif, 18, Des Moines, 17 Jan 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the article:

According to IM [Abdi's sister], Abdi told his family he was called in for a shift at Target that day, so their mother drove him to the mall around noon. They later discovered that Abdi was not on the schedule that day.

[...]

IM said she knows Abdi was at Target around 5 p.m., because his location data was on when he posted to Snapchat at that time. His snap referred to "bad, bad news."

“I’m not sure what that meant or if it had anything to do with why he’s missing,” IM said. “My brother and I are close. He’s a great brother. But I don’t know all his secrets. I just don’t know what it means.”

[...]

The family thought he might have met up with a friend. But they said Abdi would have told someone if plans had changed and that he no longer needed to be picked up from work.

[...]

Whatever was bothering him must have happened before he left the house. Why else would he deceive his mom? What's confusing is how Target was part of this. I can't get past that. In my experience, a job like that can produce a love interest or a friendship or someone who might sell or buy pot or another drug.

Whatever was bothering him must have happened before he left the house. Why else would he deceive his mom? What's confusing is how Target was part of this. I can't get past that. In my experience, a job like that can produce a love interest or a friendship or someone who might sell or buy pot or another drug.
To me it is not unusual for a teen to hang out at their work place if they were not scheduled. My daughter loves hanging out at her work on her days off since she works at a bowling alley BUT he lied to his family about working that day and that is a concern. Did he hang out with ppl that his parents had concerns about? Does target have a policy of not hanging around if your not working that day? So many questions and anything these days can have a teen announce a post on SM that says bad news even if it wasn't bad news . JMO

MOO..... This one hurts my heart Abdi remind me of one of my very best friends, with a very similar name. We met when we were freshmen in college and I see a lot of similarities between my friend and Abdi. I will say this, what my friends parents thought my friend was doing and what he was actually doing were NEVER the same thing. So "working or tutoring" was frequently code for smoking way to much weed and napping, or as we got older legal Happy Hours. I use to joke that he even faked his accent for his parents. Years later, and he still hides a lot of his personality and does not have a very active social media presences because he doesn't want it getting back to his parents, out of respect. His little sister has a social media and acts a fool but she was born in the states the rest of the brothers were born in Africa and show a lot of respect to their parents in terms of behavior. Basically my friend would NEVER go out to bars in his hometown because it would get back to his parents, but outside of his hometown he is himself totally.

MAR 3, 2020
Iowa Teen Still Missing 6 Weeks After Leaving Job at Target: 'We Just Want Him to Come Home'
[...]

“Just call us, Abdi. Just get in touch with me … or someone, and let us know that you’re OK. My mother is especially worried,” sister IM told Dateline, per NBC News. “She prays every night. Even when I tell her she should get some sleep, she continues to pray. We just want to know that Abdi is safe.”

[...]

He was dropped off at the store around noon, and though his family later learned he was not on the schedule that day, his sister reportedly said that it wasn’t atypical for him to just go and hang out at the store even when he wasn’t working.

[...]

Des Moines Police Sgt. Paul Parizek told NBC affiliate WHO-DT that after Abdi left Target, “on his own and apparently voluntarily,” his phone powered off.

[...]

To help in their search, the family has hired private investigator Stephanie Kinney, who told Dateline the case was “one of the hardest” she’s ever worked.

[...]

MAR 4, 2020
Abdi Sharif's social media being searched Des Moines police
[...]

The Des Moines Police Department confirmed to KCCI that subpoenas and search warrants for Sharif's social media are in and police detectives are painstakingly going through them for clues.

[...]

Stephanie Kinney, a private investigator hired by Sharif’s family, spent Tuesday searching Prospect Park in Des Moines. Sharif’s phone pinged in the area the day his disappeared.

“I am trying to put what is relevant in this location or why would he be walking or taking a ride in this location,” Kinney said.

[...]

Police said they will not yet reveal the content of the social media records they subpoenaed.

[...]

Stephanie Kinney, a private investigator hired by Sharif’s family, spent Tuesday searching Prospect Park in Des Moines. Sharif’s phone pinged in the area the day his disappeared.

“I am trying to put what is relevant in this location or why would he be walking or taking a ride in this location,” Kinney said.

[...]
(snipped by me) the more I think about it the more I wonder if Prospect Park would have even been possible. I’ve never been there or on Prospect Road after a heavy snow... but since that road is not necessary for travel I wouldn’t be surprised if it was still snowed in for hours after. And the parking lots were surely inaccessible, right? I don’t get it.

(snipped by me) the more I think about it the more I wonder if Prospect Park would have even been possible. I’ve never been there or on Prospect Road after a heavy snow... but since that road is not necessary for travel I wouldn’t be surprised if it was still snowed in for hours after. And the parking lots were surely inaccessible, right? I don’t get it.
Yeah, makes me think he got in a vehicle, vs. a bus. MOO

Starting with what very little we know for sure (that he was last seen in the AT&T store parking lot), we know he had to cross two streets to get there (Merle Hay Rd and Douglas Ave). If he got into a car at some point which I would suspect he did, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to think that car would then go East. I don’t think it’s even possible to pull out of that lot or any nearby and cut across traffic to go west or south. North would be possible, but I’d think if I were driving and I wanted to meet up with somebody to go somewhere north I’d want to meet in one of those lots north of the intersection. East makes sense and a ping near Prospect Park supports that.

All that to say: I think he left the area Eastbound on Douglas Ave. Knowing the side streets would be a mess, I don’t think it’s likely the car was actually on Prospect Rd at all. Maybe near Prospect Rd? MLK and Hickman would have been clear early, could he have been going somewhere down by Wells Fargo Arena? No idea what was going on that night, but there’s always something going on down there on a Friday night.

Just thinking out loud...

Attachments

• AE9F6B8B-745C-4D3C-BE0E-B760FBF5892D.jpeg
    AE9F6B8B-745C-4D3C-BE0E-B760FBF5892D.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 6D3801A6-CDEE-4051-8FE9-9F6FE4B27B5D.jpeg
    6D3801A6-CDEE-4051-8FE9-9F6FE4B27B5D.jpeg
    174.5 KB · Views: 16
I just want to get this clear, it was confirmed he was not on the scheduled and confirmed he did not work that day.

I ask, because when I did payroll, if someone was called in to cover a shift, they STILL would not be on the schedule but they would've worked.

I just want to get this clear, it was confirmed he was not on the scheduled and confirmed he did not work that day.

I ask, because when I did payroll, if someone was called in to cover a shift, they STILL would not be on the schedule but they would've worked.
I do not think that’s been clarified. The initial report I heard is that he was “called in” to work which makes sense. He would not have been scheduled as it was a school day.

What kind of things might have happened that he would feel that he had so dishonored himself or his family that he might choose to leave, especially after sending the "bad, bad news" message? Or could he have become aware of something a friend had done that he could not be part of or turn the friend in? I guess I am just looking for reasons for his being missing that isn't foul play.

MAR 8, 2020
Third search party scheduled to find Abdi Sharif
The third search party has been scheduled for Sunday to find any signs of missing Roosevelt High School senior Abdullahi "Abdi" Sharif.

[...]

Sunday's search starts at Prospect Park at 12:30 p.m.
Just to be clear, that was last Sunday (March 8). I’m kind of disappointed that either there wasn’t much advance notice or word just didn’t get out. I didn’t hear about it until just a couple hours before they started.

Just to be clear, that was last Sunday (March 8). I’m kind of disappointed that either there wasn’t much advance notice or word just didn’t get out. I didn’t hear about it until just a couple hours before they started.
Yeah, I just wanted to document it but I should have noted that.

It is disappointing. I expected to see a couple of articles, some photos of the search, etc. but that was all I found.

Maybe we'll hear something when LE gets finished reviewing all the video. MOO

When Makenzie Lueck was murdered, her college friends used their social media savvy to secure national and ongoing headlines- which helped find her- & solve the case. Families of other missing people asked them how they did it. They formed “Mackenzie’s Voice” to help people with that. Idk how things are coming along with their non-profit goals (less than a year old) but if I were Abdi’s fam, I’d contact them for help. MacKenzie’s Voice

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackie&Tim
Back