IA IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that were the case, I don't think this guy would have made mention of seeing David's truck in the first place. Would have just kept his mouth shut instead of involving himself with the obvious if he had knowledge of what happened or was going on.

JMO
I tend to agree. The passing friend didn’t send up any serious red flags for me.

I'm not going through to find all of their WS threads but here is a good start and you can just search there names in websleuths to see if they have a thread : 25 Missing People That Were Mysteriously Found Alive
Also this man who was in the news recently, although he was 20 when he ran off after robbing a bank. Didn't leave a family (wife/children) behind, but did start over with a new identity.

Also this man who was in the news recently, although he was 20 when he ran off after robbing a bank. Didn't leave a family (wife/children) behind, but did start over with a new identity.

I have seen it now with a couple of people, this one is semi local to me, Brenda Heist: https://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/pennsylvania-woman-reappears/index.html#:~:text=A Pennsylvania woman who mysteriously,be wanted in another county.

and I just watched his Disappeared episode for Robert Hoagland, granted he was eventually killed he lived a decade at least as someone else.

I think all was OK to and past the 126. No deviation, off route, wide travel time variance, until the right turn, slow speed, stop.
Hope I am wrong, but think foul play, due to drug situation in area. He was involved, or vehemently refused to be involved.
A friend deeply involved tried recruiting, he threatened to report him/them. Smacks of sending a message.. Resist us, disappear. Actually, disappearing is more frightful than just a body along side a stopped rig. No explanation, like where we are. Hope I am way off.
I've been thinking about a drug situation as well. What if DS was involved in something like that and was supposed to meet up with someone at a certain time? (say...12:40ish), at the very spot his truck was found. It is desolate there. He was running late to load pigs, but was early to meet up. So he stopped at the truck stop to kill some time. When he reached the exit, he knew he probably didn't have enough time to unload then meet up, so decided to meet up first. But was still a bit early, thus the 20 minutes to drive 4 miles. When he reached his destination, shut the lights off and got out of the cab and into a waiting vehicle parked in the field drive. The situation turned bad, and DS didn't get back out of that vehicle. Another person in the vehicle got out and grabbed his jacket, thinking he may have still had something and then threw it in the ditch when nothing was there. Or when, DS got out of the cab, his coat fell out?? Would this also explain the need for jeans with a deeper pocket? This is MOO and I am in no way insinuating anything. Just trying to come up with another possible theory.

If that were the case, I don't think this guy would have made mention of seeing David's truck in the first place. Would have just kept his mouth shut instead of involving himself with the obvious if he had knowledge of what happened or was going on.

JMO
You'd think so but Some perps involve themselves in the investigation!!

I have seen it now with a couple of people, this one is semi local to me, Brenda Heist: https://www.cnn.com/2013/05/01/us/pennsylvania-woman-reappears/index.html#:~:text=A Pennsylvania woman who mysteriously,be wanted in another county.

and I just watched his Disappeared episode for Robert Hoagland, granted he was eventually killed he lived a decade at least as someone else.
from article
Friends and family were convinced that something bad had happened to her.

While they couldn’t determine how she disappeared, they all agreed on one thing: There was no way Heist would ever leave her children, or so they thought.

everyone says that. i basically discard that phrase at this point

also this is interesting....
LaDonna Meredith, president and co-founder of Let’s Bring Them Home, an organization whose mission is to “provide safety education for children and adults as well as critical resources to families with missing loved ones” said a missing person case in which the adult chooses to leave is rare.

“It happens less than 5% of the time,” Meredith wrote in an e-mail to CNN.

JMO
Totally innocent, but on his route to and from work. In/after later "discovery" conversations, he could not appear as totally ignorant of it being in the road. Sort of if seen, why?

Unquestionably they do. But more often than not, perpetrators who insinuate themselves into the investigation seem to be lone nuts.

If you know about--or are involved with--drugs or gangs, and believe your friend Dave has been the victim of a "hit," you'll probably keep quiet to avoid joining him.

I've been thinking about a drug situation as well. What if DS was involved in something like that and was supposed to meet up with someone at a certain time? (say...12:40ish), at the very spot his truck was found. It is desolate there. He was running late to load pigs, but was early to meet up. So he stopped at the truck stop to kill some time. When he reached the exit, he knew he probably didn't have enough time to unload then meet up, so decided to meet up first. But was still a bit early, thus the 20 minutes to drive 4 miles. When he reached his destination, shut the lights off and got out of the cab and into a waiting vehicle parked in the field drive. The situation turned bad, and DS didn't get back out of that vehicle. Another person in the vehicle got out and grabbed his jacket, thinking he may have still had something and then threw it in the ditch when nothing was there. Or when, DS got out of the cab, his coat fell out?? Would this also explain the need for jeans with a deeper pocket? This is MOO and I am in no way insinuating anything. Just trying to come up with another possible theory.
while i can definitely appreciate ur theory -i feel like if this was the case dave would've just had them meet up with him at the truck stop. not on some desolate random road.

Unquestionably they do. But more often than not, perpetrators who insinuate themselves into the investigation seem to be lone nuts.

If you know about--or are involved with--drugs or gangs, and believe your friend Dave has been the victim of a "hit," you'll probably keep quiet to avoid joining him.
Nobody knows if drugs or gangs were involved here. We're talking rural Iowa... definitely not gang activity IMO!!! or MOO! whatever you guys say here for opinions lol

I'm not going through to find all of their WS threads but here is a good start and you can just search there names in websleuths to see if they have a thread : 25 Missing People That Were Mysteriously Found Alive
I looked through those and came to the conclusion most, where not missing on their own accord and others were running and hiding from someone or something they have done while still others were being held against their will or taken not by choice. I guess the one guy that was living as a hermit for 20+ years qualifies, but I don't see David doing that.

There is a big difference between walking away on your own and being kidnapped, trafficked, taken away with a parent when your in second grade, perhaps living under the control of someone else and yet being found many many years later.

Haven't heard David is wanted in connection to any crime, ect. Still looking for that missing person case where someone walked away with nothing but their cloths, just because they apparently didn't like the company they kept. Throw in the reason why David would have parked his truck smack dab in the middle of the road with no lights or flashers on, in the middle of no where, without his wallet containing a supposed considerable amount of cash, and the walked away from it all theories just don't make much sense in my eyes. And he obviously would have needed someone else's help to pull that off. He didn't just start out walking from there to Happyville where ever that is supposed to be, and far enough away that no one has or would recognize him.

JMO

I looked through those and came to the conclusion most, where not missing on their own accord and others were running and hiding from someone or something they have done while still others were being held against their will or taken not by choice. I guess the one guy that was living as a hermit for 20+ years qualifies, but I don't see David doing that.

There is a big difference between walking away on your own and being kidnapped, trafficked, taken away with a parent when your in second grade, perhaps living under the control of someone else and yet being found many many years later.

Haven't heard David is wanted in connection to any crime, ect. Still looking for that missing person case where someone walked away with nothing but their cloths, just because they apparently didn't like the company they kept. Throw in the reason why David would have parked his truck smack dab in the middle of the road with no lights or flashers on, in the middle of no where, without his wallet containing a supposed considerable amount of cash, and the walked away from it all theories just don't make much sense in my eyes. And he obviously would have needed someone else's help to pull that off. He didn't just start out walking from there to Happyville where ever that is supposed to be, and far enough away that no one has or would recognize him.

JMO
Yep! just doesn't make sense for him to have went off the radar this way.
As my last post stated -
a missing person case in which the adult chooses to leave is rare.

“It happens less than 5% of the time,” Meredith wrote in an e-mail to CNN.

Voluntarily disappearing would be hard. Maybe even harder than being a fugitive on the run. Always wondering if someone will recognize you. Not like you could just go get a job and start working somewhere, IRS records would expose you quickly. Would almost need to start an entire new identity. How would someone make money to live, rent an apartment, buy a house, bank accounts, credit cards, loans, buy and register a vehicle without a new identity?

How many missing persons cases have turned out to be someone who walked away from their life? See threads on WS all the time with the title "Found Safe" but they usually turn out to be ones that were people who were just lost or out of contact for a while. A lot of those threads of people that returned get deleted too. I to would want to come back and read about what was written about me, by all of you. Although it may be interesting to see just how many outlandish theories there were and how accurate everyone was as to what really happened.

If someone knows of threads here on WS of missing persons who it ended up being a case of someone leaving on their own and walking away for a better life, with only the cloths on their back, please post a link here. I would be interested in looking at it or them. TIA

JMO

Nicholas Francisco is one. When a Family Man Disappears: Tale of a Deadbeat Dad

Left his pregnant wife and 2 children, abandoned his car.

I couldn't find an archived thread, but there was a poll on whether people thought he was alive or dead. At the time, it was about 60% alive 40% dead.

There was another lady who left her daughter duct taped to an ice machine or something very strange like that. She turned up states away, months later, but that was clearly a mental breakdown.

So while there are examples, I do agree that it's very rare but sometimes the improbable does happen. Personally though I'm more in the self harm camp, sadly.

Nicholas Francisco is one. When a Family Man Disappears: Tale of a Deadbeat Dad

Left his pregnant wife and 2 children, abandoned his car.

I couldn't find an archived thread, but there was a poll on whether people thought he was alive or dead. At the time, it was about 60% alive 40% dead.

There was another lady who left her daughter duct taped to an ice machine or something very strange like that. She turned up states away, months later, but that was clearly a mental breakdown.

So while there are examples, I do agree that it's very rare but sometimes the improbable does happen. Personally though I'm more in the self harm camp, sadly.
My goodness. I had not heard of his case. So sad because all of these stories create the same situations - becoming suspicious of a spouse, whether for monetary reasons or not, possible drug use, ENDLESS AMOUNTS OF WASTED TIME by countless searchers, and so on.

If you know about--or are involved with--drugs or gangs, and believe your friend Dave has been the victim of a "hit," you'll probably keep quiet to avoid joining

IIRC the guy was 70+ years old. Most people that involve themselves do so for the attention, to keep up with the investigation or as you say are nut jobs.

This 70+ year old farmer guy out doing morning chores, probably doesn't even have any social media accounts, maybe has internet, might have a smart phone and doesn't pay any attention to what is gong on around him other than what is happening in his rural agricultural landscape, and certainly doesn't know anything about if there are drugs, gangs and people being "knocked off" because of being involved with it and if asked would be like "what are you talking about".

Just an innocent guy who when he learned David was missing put two and two together and said he had seen David's truck sitting in the middle of the road, but didn't think much of it as he went to feed the livestock on the north forty.

JMO

IIRC the guy was 70+ years old. Most people that involve themselves do so for the attention, to keep up with the investigation or as you say are nut jobs.

This 70+ year old farmer guy out doing morning chores, probably doesn't even have any social media accounts, maybe has internet, might have a smart phone and doesn't pay any attention to what is gong on around him other than what is happening in his rural agricultural landscape, and certainly doesn't know anything about if there are drugs, gangs and people being "knocked off" because of being involved with it and if asked would be like "what are you talking about".

Just an innocent guy who when he learned David was missing put two and two together and said he had seen David's truck sitting in the middle of the road, but didn't think much of it as he went to feed the livestock on the north forty.

JMO

Totally agree. I don't (at this point, at least) believe the friend had any involvement whatsoever, other than happening to drive by the truck after it was parked up.

At most David might have chosen to park the truck in that location thinking the friend would see it.

If someone knows of threads here on WS of missing persons who it ended up being a case of someone leaving on their own and walking away for a better life, with only the cloths on their back, please post a link here. I would be interested in looking at it or them. TIA

JMO
ETA- cellphone, wallet, medications all left at home. He was missing and presumed dead for 10 years. Eventually he did die, in NY, and his family in CT had no idea he had been alive and really quite close by all that time.

Nobody knows if drugs or gangs were involved here. We're talking rural Iowa... definitely not gang activity IMO!!! or MOO! whatever you guys say here for opinions lol
Apparently in the nearby small cities, though, gangs are a smallish problem. Just a few links below.

Fort Dodge, which was on his route and near the M126 stop:

“As it relates to the gang-related graffiti, we have come across similar vandalism incidents over the years. However, while we have responded to similar incidents, we do not feel the gang element has increased over the years. During all investigations we examine elements that could possibly be related to those crimes to include gang activity. As investigations have unfolded, we have discovered that any gang element to crimes committed in Fort Dodge have been reserved to a very small group of individuals who have claimed some type of affiliation to a gang. That affiliation has ranged from individuals perceiving themselves to be part of a gang, while others have been identified as confirmed members."

"Quinn said that there are some gangs active in Fort Dodge, but it’s hard to put a number to it because some are just small “clusters” of people and aren’t affiliated with any larger, well-known gangs like the Bloods or the Gangster Disciples. Those smaller gangs without a larger affiliation can be hard to track, he said."

"FORT DODGE, Iowa —
A federal fugitive is in Webster County Jail after being wanted on outstanding warrants related to a federal investigation based out of Omaha, Nebraska.

Cameron D. Carodine is known as a Bloods criminal street gang member."

Because I can't get this case out of my mind...
Here's my question -
Possible the truck or trailer is used to transport drugs without DS knowing? Maybe he found something and there was a confrontation?
Does that happen?

Are there trees near DS's truck? Like a little stand of trees? I ask because there has been a case or two where a missing person was not found for a long time because seemingly none of the searchers looked up to where the person had sadly hung themself in a tree.

There was a case a few years ago in the UK (Wales, I think) with a youngish man, maybe even just a teenager. That case was here on Websleuths but I can't find it atm.

Edited to add: Found it now, it was Frankie Morris. The case was ruled "suicide by hanging" but the idea that searchers hadn't looked upwards enough was a posit by a mbr here rather than mentioned in the inquiry. So I'll just put a large MOO here.

I hope this isn't the case with DS! But it's possible.

MOO JMO
This MSM video is a good depiction of the area where DS's truck was located. I don't think there was a suicide by hanging here that would not have already been detected. JMO

12/11/23 -- KCCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member