Found Deceased IA - David Schultz, 53, Wall Lake, 21 November 2023 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I would really like to know on this and have some clarity. Reason it bothers me is he stopped at home to get, or change into before leaving ,clean jeans. But did not take an additional pair with him. I would think if he was going to take on another job after this last load, he would have needed to stop home for clean jeans. Family apparently thought he was still working up until 10:00 AM when found out differently. There were several adults in the house at that time, more than usual. He should have been home by 2:00 AM at least, if this had been his last job. If took on another job, I would think would need to stop and get more jeans and someone would have heard him come in you would think, especially in the room where jeans are most likely kept. Maybe I am looking at this wrong or there could other explanations I have not thought of.
If he did this, then law-enforcement would’ve been able to track his cell phone going and coming from his house.

If he did this, then law-enforcement would’ve been able to track his cell phone going and coming from his house.
I had not thought on it that way. I was just wondering why family would think still working if would have needed to stop home before going to another job. Most people do not have to stop at home while working. Hog haulers may if do not have clean jeans in truck and are mandatory for that next job, which he did not have.

I also had the question of who the heck is loading in the middle of the night? Again a hog hauler out in that area question. Is there places that load 24/7 in the vicinity and common to do? Would be logical for someone to not come home and take on another load, would have done so in the past probably?

Last edited:
I agree the wallet may have been hidden out of sight and it would really help us WSers if we had clarification on this issue as if it was sitting in plain sight, or in his jacket pocket, then it would change the dynamic.

Observe_dont_Absorb said;
"Also, they'd have certainly taken DS $2,000".

Shrug. But did anyone ever say where he kept his
wallet and phone? Some truckers might keep it
in a pouch, say between the seats, or maybe the
passenger seat had one of those back pouches that
a driver could easily lean across and take anything
he needed out of. People seem to be assuming the
wallet or phone was sitting in plain sight, but if it
was out of sight.. well, I assume the criminal driver
wasn't in the cabin long enough to think about doing
a seach. Good point made by a previous poster,
however - how did the criminals know the truck
wasn't GPS'd? Maybe they thought (correctly) a single
small truck operator like David wouldn't have a it
GPS'd, maybe someone tipped them off the truck
wasn't his main truck. Yes, good question...
Maybe someone that knew David and knew his truck didn't have GPS. Or it was someone that was told by someone that knew David very well that his truck didn't have GPS and there was nothing to worry about as far as the truck being tracked.

Maybe LE should be looking at people that know David, very well, to know about how his truck was set up.

I would really like to know on this and have some clarity. Reason it bothers me is he stopped at home to get, or change into before leaving ,clean jeans. But did not take an additional pair with him. I would think if he was going to take on another job after this last load, he would have needed to stop home for clean jeans. Family apparently thought he was still working up until 10:00 AM when found out differently. There were several adults in the house at that time, more than usual. He should have been home by 2:00 AM at least, if this had been his last job. If took on another job, I would think would need to stop and get more jeans and someone would have heard him come in you would think, especially in the room where jeans are most likely kept. Maybe I am looking at this wrong or there could other explanations I have not thought of.

I'm not sure when he came home to get washed and changed it was related to needing clean kit for transporting the piglets, so much as he was in between jobs, came home for food, wash, change of clothes and start out again. We'd need to know more about how long he'd been at home, albeit we do know he 'rushed' out.

I recall from this thread there's strict rules re handling the livestock load to prevent contamination and biohazards etc. However, to my mind, that being the case, at each drop off point, the loader / offloader would be asked to put on boot covers and a coverall that are kept at the location itself. Surely? Can hardly expect truck drivers to change clothes in the cold and dark.

I once had a friend who worked in a different industry but they had to shower and change into a special biohazard suit on arrival and vice versa on the way out in order to maintain safety standards.

RSBM

What LE knows that we don't, is the exact movement of the truck (or at least David's phone GPS) from the highway intersection to where the truck was found. It may not have paused at the intersection at all, in which case LE would be fairly sure nothing happened there.

Was the truck driven at a slow, steady pace? Did it stop and start repeatedly? Did it stop for an extended period of time somewhere along Union Avenue?

LE know this information and it's probably guiding how they treat the investigation.
I wouldn't know why atm, but can it be, that David's truck was towed by criminals, when it seemed to be too much time for DS to have driven his truck? Not driven by a criminal, but with DS on the wheel towed to the point, where the truck got parked in an irregular way?

I wouldn't know why atm, but can it be, that David's truck was towed by criminals, when it seemed to be too much time for DS to have driven his truck? Not driven by a criminal, but with DS on the wheel towed to the point, where the truck got parked in a irregular way?

Would be a big job to tow a truck and a load of pigs. But possible. But why?

I'm not sure when he came home to get washed and changed it was related to needing clean kit for transporting the piglets, so much as he was in between jobs, came home for food, wash, change of clothes and start out again. We'd need to know more about how long he'd been at home, albeit we do know he 'rushed' out.

I recall from this thread there's strict rules re handling the livestock load to prevent contamination and biohazards etc. However, to my mind, that being the case, at each drop off point, the loader / offloader would be asked to put on boot covers and a coverall that are kept at the location itself. Surely? Can hardly expect truck drivers to change clothes in the cold and dark.

I once had a friend who worked in a different industry but they had to shower and change into a special biohazard suit on arrival and vice versa on the way out in order to maintain safety standards.
And we know he was all ready running late. Logic would say was not home long. I can not remember if wife said was running late before stopped at home? I think so but would have to go back and read on that. Or was stopping at home causing lateness? An argument maybe which I would completely understand not mentioning.

Would be a big job to tow a truck and a load of pigs. But possible. But why?

I don't know myself, why. I thought about the time, DS needed more than normally to drive a certain part of the route. And I thought about it, whether it got noticed later on by the mechanic, who also towed the truck for LE.
Maybe, someone here would know a reason, why. I tried .... ;)

Last edited:
I am stuck on why it took DS so long to drive that last 3-4 miles after exiting the highway. This is going to sound crazy, but this is a scenario that might make some of it make sense. What if he was being followed? What if he turned north instead of south to throw off whoever was following him? What if he drove that 3-4 mile northbound stretch with his lights off (which would explain why lights were off when the truck was found), so that whoever was following wouldn't see him? Driving that stretch with no headlights would definitely mean needing to drive more slowly and cautiously. What if whoever was following eventually caught up to him and he jumped out of the truck and began running only to be caught and involved in a scuffle where his coat was found before being forced/coerced/dragged into the follower's vehicle? Of course, none of this would explain why he would be followed in the first place. Also, I do think the idea of him jumping out of the truck and running on foot is pretty flimsy. But it might explain the slow pace and why the lights were off on the truck when found.

And we know he was all ready running late. Logic would say was not home long. I can not remember if wife said was running late before stopped at home? I think so but would have to go back and read on that. Or was stopping at home causing lateness? An argument maybe which I would completely understand not mentioning.

She said he was rushing in to scrub up and change between jobs, came home didn't even have time to shower, just washed up and got clean clothes, asking for jeans with deeper pockets. When she put it like that, it did make me wonder if he is obliged to wash and change between different farms and drop offs?

I don't think she was implying that he was late for anything so much as this is how he often behaved, taking back to back jobs, working long shifts, so always hurrying around. She sure made it clear he didn't have time to hang around.

JMO MOO

I don't know myself, why. I thought about the time, DS needed more than normally to drive a certain part of the route. And I thought about it, whether it got noticed later on by the mechanic, who also towed the truck for LE.
Maybe, someone here would know a reason, why. I tried .... ;)

IIRC, I believe the truck was towed back to its usual parking spot because the wife asked the mechanic to, as LE 'weren't doing anything'. Later, LE took the truck from the parking spot for a few days and later again returned it.

Why did the mechanic tow the truck and not just drive it?

Somebody must have driven the piggies to the drop off point at Weikmann's before they all froze and died of dehydration and became worthless - who and how? Did they not drive the truck itself there and offload? Did they disconnect the truck from the cargo (which would involve needing to drive the truck a little way anyhow) and use a different truck to take the load? I'm confused.

IIRC, I believe the truck was towed back to its usual parking spot because the wife asked the mechanic to, as LE 'weren't doing anything'. Later, LE took the truck from the parking spot for a few days and later again returned it.

Why did the mechanic tow the truck and not just drive it?

Somebody must have driven the piggies to the drop off point at Weikmann's before they all froze and died of dehydration and became worthless - who and how? Did they not drive the truck itself there and offload? Did they disconnect the truck from the cargo (which would involve needing to drive the truck a little way anyhow) and use a different truck to take the load? I'm confused.
I believe SS said they unloaded the pigs and reloaded them onto another trailer right there where the truck was found. I can't recall if that was in an interview, maybe?

It also seems to me that she said DS was running late from his previous load, which made him late for the new load in EG. They knew he would be late, so pushed his load until last. JMO.

I believe SS said they unloaded the pigs and reloaded them onto another trailer right there where the truck was found. I can't recall if that was in an interview, maybe?

It also seems to me that she said DS was running late from his previous load, which made him late for the new load in EG. They knew he would be late, so pushed his load until last. JMO.

I wonder how this happens, logistically? I imagine the trailer in its own right weighs absolute tonnes, weighed down with piggies, even more. If livestock rules are as strict as some here say, then chances are once those pigs are loaded into a sanitized trailer, it's considered 'sealed'. There must be some paperwork palaver in order to open up the trailer and reload piggies into a different trailer.

I have no idea how they're loaded in and out except a few videos posted here -but- to load them from one trailer to another in the middle of a road? Seems unfeasible or at least, exceptionally difficult.

Who do the trailers belong to? The original loading company? Gosh it's all so confusing.

She said he was rushing in to scrub up and change between jobs, came home didn't even have time to shower, just washed up and got clean clothes, asking for jeans with deeper pockets. When she put it like that, it did make me wonder if he is obliged to wash and change between different farms and drop offs?

I don't think she was implying that he was late for anything so much as this is how he often behaved, taking back to back jobs, working long shifts, so always hurrying around. She sure made it clear he didn't have time to hang around.

JMO MOO
He was definitely running late which did not get explained. He had to switch load spots with another driver because he was running late and is why he was the last one loaded.

@buyerninety - Just wanted to say thank you for gathering those interior shots of a 1999 Peterbilt as well as your commentary on it.

Looks like a 1960s interior to me, LOL. I would have pictured it looking much more modern!

The switch on the gear shift is interesting…

Trucking 101:

Brakes:

Red and Yellow knobs are for controlling the parking brakes.

Yellow knob controls the brakes on the truck.
Red knob controls the brakes on the trailer.

When the knobs are pushed in and air is applied the brakes release. Pulled out the brakes are applied. Loose air and the brakes will automaticly be applied.

If driving a truck with no trailer, only the yellow knob is pushed in and the red knob is left out.

When there is a trailer attached to the truck both knobs need to pushed in. If only one knob is pushed in the brakes on either the truck or the trailer will not be released. If the red knob was not pushed in and the truck was driven, the wheels on the trailer would skid and eventually blow out the tires if driven far enough. I have seen that happen in less than a mile. David's trailer had two axles with eight tires. All eight tires would have been locked up if the red knob was not pushed in. To an experienced driver this would be very noticeable. Skid marks from this would be very noticeable as well.

On the truck there are only parking brakes on the rear axles. David's truck had two rear axles and one front axle. David's truck also had what is called a pusher axle, that is an extra axle that is added ahead of the rear two axles. This axle is used to haul extra weight, but does not have parking brakes. Most trucks you see don't have a pusher axle. Some trucks have parking brakes on both the main rear axles and some only have parking brakes on one of the rear axles. Normally if there are only brakes on one rear axle they are on the forward rear axle. If the yellow knob is not pushed in the truck could still be driven and the power from the engine through the drive train would turn the wheels, but it would cause considerable drag. If would be similar to driving a car with the parking brake on. Something noticeable to an experienced driver. Some trucks also have lights on the dash which tell you if the truck parking brake has not been released, and also some trucks will also warn you if the parking brakes are not applied and the key is turned off so the truck doesn't roll away. Trucks are normally always left in neutral when parked.

Sarah mentioned there were skid marks on the exit. I believe this was in a FB post. It was not mentioned if it was known if these were from David's truck or not. If someone that wasn't familiar with driving a truck took off in the truck from at stop at the exit and didn't release the brakes, the trailer would have left skid marks. It would be very obvious if the skid marks were left by a truck traveling down the exit and suddenly stopped or if they were from a truck that was parked and then driven with the parking brakes applied (wheels locked up).

Transmissions:

The most common transmissions found in trucks such as David's are 9, 13 and 18 speed transmissions. There are also 10, super 10 and 15 speeds but those are not as common. Manual truck transmissions haven't really changed any in the past 60+ years as far as gears and shift patterns.

Shifting without using the clutch is called "Floating Gears". Manual transmissions used in large trucks are not synchronized like a manual transmission in a car or pickup truck. There is an input shaft and an output shaft on all transmissions. Input shaft is connected to the engine through the clutch. Output shaft is connected to the drive shaft which turns the differentials gears, which turns the rear wheels. In order to shift gears the input and output shaft speeds need to be matched. Some truck drivers will double clutch, some don't use the clutch at all, while others just push in the clutch and then grind the transmission gears until the shaft speeds match and transmission goes into the next gear. Not very good for the transmission, and they probably won't be a driver for long when the truck needs to have the transmission overhauled and their boss fires them.

To up shift without using the clutch you let off the throttle pedal, pull the transmission into neutral and wait for the engine RPM to decrease, since the clutch is still engaged the input shaft speed will also decrease and then match the speed the next higher gear spinning at the same speed of the output shaft. When those speeds match the transmission is put into the next higher gear and the throttle is pressed.

To down shift you let off the throttle pedal, put the transmission onto neutral, bump the throttle to increase the engine RPM which increased the input shaft speed to match the speed of the next lower gear being spun by the output shaft and the transmission is then shifted in to the next lower gear. The throttle is press and up the hill you go or slow down to a stop.

To shift up through the gears the driver would normally start out in 1st gear, then shift up through 4th gear and then flip the range lever up and shift into 5th gear and then shift up to 8th gear if its a 9 speed transmission.

Shifting a 13 or 18 speed is very much the same but with a 13 speed each of the high range gears can be split. So it would be 1st to 4th, flip lever, 5th low, 5th high, 6th low, 6th high.and so on. On an 18 speed each of the low and high range gears can be split. So 1st low, 1st high, 2nd low, 2nd high and so one.

That's a lot of shifting when driving a 13 and 18 speed. Either of these transmissions can be shifted like a 9 speed not using the high side of each gear and usually the only reason for using all the gears would be when pulling a heavy load or going up a steep hill. Or for the clowns that make Y-tube videos and think they are cool to show themselves shifting up and down through all those gears.

Then there are the clowns that think it's really cool to shift using the Jake Brake (thing that makes a lot of noise and slows the truck down using the engine), which decreases the engine RPM speed faster for quicker up shifting. Those people in my opinion are complete idiots, same with the guys that think it cool to down shift through every gear while using the Jake Brake with straight pipes just so they can hear the sound.

If a person who didn't know how to how to shift the transmission into the high range (flipping lever to use gears 5-8) the maximum speed the truck might be around 30 MPH. That along with what ever time it took to attack David at the exit may explain the lapse in time.

JMO, hope you enjoyed the show.

9.jpg
13.jpg18.jpg

Last edited:
I wonder how this happens, logistically? I imagine the trailer in its own right weighs absolute tonnes, weighed down with piggies, even more. If livestock rules are as strict as some here say, then chances are once those pigs are loaded into a sanitized trailer, it's considered 'sealed'. There must be some paperwork palaver in order to open up the trailer and reload piggies into a different trailer.

I have no idea how they're loaded in and out except a few videos posted here -but- to load them from one trailer to another in the middle of a road? Seems unfeasible or at least, exceptionally difficult.

Who do the trailers belong to? The original loading company? Gosh it's all so confusing.
Trailer was unloaded where the truck was found. This is pretty simple. They just back an empty trailer up to the loaded trailer and the piggy's walk from one trailer to the other. Trailers were owned by the guy David worked for Les Brown. It was likely his responsibility to get the pork chops onto Wiechaman's and had the equipment to do so. Whether or not they used a clean trailer or not and had paperwork or needed paperwork is anyone's guess. I would say no considering the circumstances. Get the piglets to a nice warm place where they have food and water was probably the main concern.

Sarah said David's mechanic drove the truck to his shop from where it was found. LE then had the truck towed from the mechanics place two days later to process the truck for evidence and told her she could come get the truck when they were done. Apparently LE didn't tell her they were having the truck towed and when they later told her she could come get it, she was handed the keys in an envelope which was marked "Evidence" which upset her.

JMO I conclude that only 'the thing' the perp wanted was to get DS out of the picture.

They didn't want his truck. They didn't want his load of livestock - I suspect you'd have to be in a very niche market to know what to do with a 100 baby pigs and plenty of road traffic cameras would spot your journey!

They didn't even want his $2,000 or his debit card (in my country you can 'tap and pay' £100, approx $120, per transaction in stores with no checks on a debit card). They didn't want his ID papers or heavy vehicle truck driver licence, or his mobile phone, etc. Because they wanted nothing of his about their person IMO, because they know him and they knew they might likely be searched / questioned.

What else could they have wanted? To drain / syphon his expensive tank of diesel or gas - we know this is of value? Was there any sign of that?

I assume the perp didn't want his body for nefarious reason in the same way as a woman would be kidnapped and kept alive for abuse but since his body is unknown location I suppose it cannot be ruled out.

JMO but this was 100% personal. He was either targeted by someone he knew very well, knew his route etc and lay in wait in a particular spot knowing he'd be slowed down at a turn off, luring him to stop on a false pretence. OR he stopped to help a friend in need or someone who was genuinely in trouble and in the process, they got into conflict the one lost their temper and took him out.

They drove his truck slowly but proficiently, insofar as it didn't come off the road into the verge or such, just far enough away from the original incident that they could walk back to their vehicle 3 miles back, a very walkable distance and doesn't leave their vehicle abandoned too long. If they're local with good knowledge of the roads, maybe they also put it on a road that had far less passing traffic and would be way less likely to be noticed for many hours to come so they also 'bought time'.

If they understand how Weikmann's works then they know that the piglets won't be missed until operations begin in the morning (what time 0800?) and even then it'll be a little while before anyone identifies that it's DS's 100 hogs not in the pen.

It's either deeply personal, someone who wanted DS out of the picture (for example business competitor), someone he knew so well that a huge argument turned into a rageful murder, or total random lunatic did something inexplicable. My argument against random lunatic is they usually target the vulnerable or 'easy prey' and someone in a huge truck is not that. Maybe random passing gangsters needed help with their vehicle, he provided it, they said thanks for that, shot him dead, ditched his body away from the scene of the shooting?

JMO MOO
I agree. It was 100 percent personal

Trucking 101:

Brakes:

Red and Yellow knobs are for controlling the parking brakes.

Yellow knob controls the brakes on the truck.
Red knob controls the brakes on the trailer.

When the knobs are pushed in and air is applied the brakes release. Pulled out the brakes are applied. Loose air and the brakes will automaticly be applied.

If driving a truck with no trailer, only the yellow knob is pushed in and the red knob is left out.

When there is a trailer attached to the truck both knobs need to pushed in. If only one knob is pushed in the brakes on either the truck or the trailer will not be released. If the red knob was not pushed in and the truck was driven, the wheels on the trailer would skid and eventually blow out the tires if driven far enough. I have seen that happen in less than a mile. David's trailer had two axles with eight tires. All eight tires would have been locked up if the red knob was not pushed in. To an experienced driver this would be very noticeable. Skid marks from this would be very noticeable as well.

On the truck there are only parking brakes on the rear axles. David's truck had two rear axles and one front axle. David's truck also had what is called a pusher axle, that is an extra axle that is added ahead of the rear two axles. This axle is used to haul extra weight, but does not have parking brakes. Most trucks you see don't have a pusher axle. Some trucks have parking brakes on both the main rear axles and some only have parking brakes on one of the rear axles. Normally if there are only brakes on one rear axle they are on the forward rear axle. If the yellow knob is not pushed in the truck could still be driven and the power from the engine through the drive train would turn the wheels, but it would cause considerable drag. If would be similar to driving a car with the parking brake on. Something noticeable to an experienced driver. Some trucks also have lights on the dash which tell you if the truck parking brake has not been released, and also some trucks will also warn you if the parking brakes are not applied and the key is turned off so the truck doesn't roll away. Trucks are normally always left in neutral when parked.

Sarah mentioned there were skid marks on the exit. I believe this was in a FB post. It was not mentioned if it was known if these were from David's truck or not. If someone that wasn't familiar with driving a truck took off in the truck from at stop at the exit and didn't release the brakes, the trailer would have left skid marks. It would be very obvious if the skid marks were left by a truck traveling down the exit and suddenly stopped or if they were from a truck that was parked and then driven with the parking brakes applied (wheels locked up).

Transmissions:

The most common transmissions found in trucks such as David's are 9, 13 and 18 speed transmissions. There are also 10, super 10 and 15 speeds but those are not as common. Manual truck transmissions haven't really changed any in the past 60+ years as far as gears and shift patterns.

Shifting without using the clutch is called "Floating Gears". Manual transmissions used in large trucks are not synchronized like a manual transmission in a car or pickup truck. There is an input shaft and an output shaft on all transmissions. Input shaft is connected to the engine through the clutch. Output shaft is connected to the drive shaft which turns the differentials gears, which turns the rear wheels. In order to shift gears the input and output shaft speeds need to be matched. Some truck drivers will double clutch, some don't use the clutch at all, while others just push in the clutch and then grind the transmission gears until the shaft speeds match and transmission goes into the next gear. Not very good for the transmission, and they probably won't be a driver for long when the truck needs to have the transmission overhauled and their boss fires them.

To up shift without using the clutch you let off the throttle pedal, pull the transmission into neutral and wait for the engine RPM to decrease, since the clutch is still engaged the input shaft speed will also decrease and then match the speed the next higher gear spinning at the same speed of the output shaft. When those speeds match the transmission is put into the next higher gear and the throttle is pressed.

To down shift you let off the throttle pedal, put the transmission onto neutral, bump the throttle to increase the engine RPM which increased the input shaft speed to match the speed of the next lower gear being spun by the output shaft and the transmission is then shifted in to the next lower gear. The throttle is press and up the hill you go or slow down to a stop.

To shift up through the gears the driver would normally start out in 1st gear, then shift up through 4th gear and then flip the range lever up and shift into 5th gear and then shift up to 8th gear if its a 9 speed transmission.

Shifting a 13 or 18 speed is very much the same but with a 13 speed each of the high range gears can be split. So it would be 1st to 4th, flip lever, 5th low, 5th high, 6th low, 6th high.and so on. On an 18 speed each of the low and high range gears can be split. So 1st low, 1st high, 2nd low, 2nd high and so one.

That's a lot of shifting when driving a 13 and 18 speed. Either of these transmissions can be shifted like a 9 speed not using the high side of each gear and usually the only reason for using all the gears would be when pulling a heavy load or going up a steep hill. Or for the clowns that make Y-tube videos and think they are cool to show themselves shifting up and down through all those gears.

Then there are the clowns that think it's really cool to shift using the Jake Brake (thing that makes a lot of noise and slows the truck down using the engine), which decreases the engine RPM speed faster for quicker up shifting. Those people in my opinion are complete idiots, same with the guys that think it cool to down shift through every gear while using the Jake Brake with straight pipes just so they can hear the sound.

If a person who didn't know how to how to shift the transmission into the high range (flipping lever to use gears 5-8) the maximum speed the truck might be around 30 MPH. That along with what ever time it took to attack David at the exit may explain the lapse in time.

JMO, hope you enjoyed the show.

View attachment 476298
View attachment 476302View attachment 476303

So while someone could perhaps drive it in low gear without even having to use the clutch, tho not ideal, they’d have to be smart enough to know to apply both parking brakes at the destination site, or at least one, so the truck wouldn’t roll away if on a slight incline, and we saw through some pics that there was a slight incline, at least near the intersection. I don’t recall if there was one closer to the house where it was found.

My point being, if this was a novice driver, could they have gotten away with not using either of the red or yellow brake knobs at its final location if the ground was completely flat there? I don’t recall if anything had been mentioned about it being parked properly in that regard, so this is just me wondering if perhaps the reason it was left there is that if someone else drove it there, they had to roll onto the flattest part of the road they could find if they had no clue how to park it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cancerkilla
Back