IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually see temp. guardianship of Lyric was given to Heather Collins (Elizabeth's Mom) 8/01/2003.

Temp guardianship of Lyric's brother (D) was given to Grandma Wylma Cook 3/12/2001.

Trying to figure out where the girls live and with whom.

So under both kids the filings go until July 2007 and end with "ORDER CLOSING PROBATE". So at that point, it is unclear who their guardian is legally.

So what are we thinking here - that Elizabeth lives with her parents in Evansdale - and Lyric lives with her Grandma in Waterloo. And Grandma was watching the girls at Elizabeth's house in Evansdale when this happened?

I am so confused.

ETA: Per this acticle: "Collins is a student at Poyner Elementary. Cook is a student at Kingsley Elementary in Waterloo."

http://www.kwwl.com/story/19023342/evansdale-police-searching-for-two-missing-girls

Looking at the court records, it looks like the guardianship ended in 2007. I cannot tell you why it ended, but there are only four reasons why it would end. (1) The child turned 18 (which isn't the case). (2) The child was transferred to another guardian (which there is no court record indicating the happened). (3) The child was legally adopted by the guardian (I see no indication of that, though those records may not be available on line). 4. The child was returned to the care of the biological parent (which seems like the most likely).

Ok, so whoever they live with, we know they were being watched by their Grandma Wylma Cook at the Collin's home in Evansdale.

Lyric often stays at the home of her 8-year-old cousin, Elizabeth Collins, in Evansdale while Misty Cook-Morrissey is at work.

Read More: http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ev...d32-11e1-a656-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz20kQEO5fN

snipped

In the care of their grandmother, Wylma Cook, the girls went bike riding Friday morning as they often do.

<snipped for space>
Lyric's height and weight are a bit confusing to me. Is she really 4'10/4'11 and 145 pounds? If that's true, then she's an obese child (I'm not making any snarky judgments here). It would be difficult for her to scale an 8 foot tall fence, or to run fast, bike long distances, etc. In her photos, she does not appear to be obese. Is this height and weight correct? If it is, then physical activity would not be as easy for her as it would be for her younger cousin.

No snarky judgments here either but I agree and wish they'd show more pictures of her that aren't so zoomed in on her face. I did see one picture that showed more of her where it was much clearer that the height/weight were probably correct or at least close. When I saw that pic I was surprised how thin her face looked. I'll try to find it again and will post a link if I can.

I sure hope they're found soon. None of this sounds good.

Looking at Iowa Road Conditions, I'm refreshing my memory. I drove 380/20 both ways last weekend for the 4th. Right along Meyers Lake there, its two lane only. Have to be pretty hard to stop/pull over along there for whatever reason.

Do you mean divided highway with two lanes in each direction?

SE_MeyersLake_dividedhighway.jpg

Second Full Day of Searching for Missing Girls Finds Only Frustration

EVANSDALE, Iowa - Another day of searching produced no new leads to explain the disappearance of two Black Hawk County girls.

Authorities said Elizabeth Collins, 8, and her cousin Lyric Cook, 10, were apparently riding bikes near Meyers Lake in Evansdale on Friday afternoon. No one has seen them since and another full day of searching Sunday with more than 900 volunteers added no new information.

Searchers found the bicycles and a purse with a cell phone belonging to one of the girls on Friday. Crews in boats finished dragging the 5-acre lake and now believe the girls are not anywhere in the water. Although the search began around the lake area near I-380 it has now expanded to an estimated 12 square miles.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Seco...g-Girls-Finds-Only-Frustration-162539746.html

From the pictures, it looks like they may have hopped over the fence to get to the lake. But why throw the purse and the cell over and not retrieve it?

I haven't seen anything that proves to me that Lyric lived with her grandmother. All I've seen is that Elizabeth lives in Evansdale and Lyric lives in Waterloo. It's been reported that "Lyric often stays at the home of her 8-year-old cousin, Elizabeth Collins, in Evansdale while Misty Cook-Morrissey is at work." That seems to indicate that she lives with her mother.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ev...cle_18411a90-cd32-11e1-a656-0019bb2963f4.html

That's what I had read that lead me to believe that the grandmother was at Elizabeth Collin's house looking after Elizabeth and Lyric Cook was there that day as well.

No snarky judgments here either but I agree and wish they'd show more pictures of her that aren't so zoomed in on her face. I did see one picture that showed more of her where it was much clearer that the height/weight were probably correct or at least close. When I saw that pic I was surprised how thin her face looked. I'll try to find it again and will post a link if I can.

I sure hope they're found soon. None of this sounds good.

At 4'11" and 165 lbs, she would have been a big girl compared to her cousin, who was 4'1 and 65 lbs. I have a 6'4" athletic brother that was 170 lbs in his late teens and twenties. In terms of recognizing the two girls, it would be much better if photos of them standing were released to the public. If they were abducted, they may still be alive, but if a head shot is misleading - better photos need to be released.

From the pictures, it looks like they may have hopped over the fence to get to the lake. But why throw the purse and the cell over and not retrieve it?

Two things are possible. They met someone that grabbed the phone and tossed it away, or they tossed it over the fence themselves because they were planning to get to the other side. If they are not in the water, then they must have gone towards the highway. Walking through the park to one of the nearby roads seems so exposed ... a couple of hundred feet across the grass. I doubt that happened. If there is a hole in the fence, then that would most likely be where they went ... it has to be luring ... most likely through the internet/phone.

The search party swelled to about 1,100 Sunday afternoon, officials said.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ev...d32-11e1-a656-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz20kQEO5fN

That is the Iowa way. It is no surprise to me that that many people turned out to search.

I don't know what to think about these girls disappearance. It seems to me one person could not take two young girls. At least I wouldn't think. Unless one got scared and just did what the perp told her.

It's so baffling with the lake being right next to interstate 380 that someone didn't see something. There is always traffic going by. Praying they are found soon.

I would like to know where Grandma lives and if she has been watching them most of the summer at regular times. Kids have a tendency of habit, places they like to go and hangout while being babysat by grandma.
I would ride my horse nearly everyday in the summer and I would take the same route everyday coming and going...

I would like to know where Grandma lives and if she has been watching them most of the summer at regular times. Kids have a tendency of habit, places they like to go and hangout while being babysat by grandma.
I would ride my horse nearly everyday in the summer and I would take the same route everyday coming and going...

Back at the start of this thread, someone said that Grandma told LE to go look at the lake for the girls. So she must have known they liked to go there, or had gone there before.

The search party swelled to about 1,100 Sunday afternoon, officials said.

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ev...d32-11e1-a656-0019bb2963f4.html#ixzz20kQEO5fN

That is the Iowa way. It is no surprise to me that that many people turned out to search.

I don't know what to think about these girls disappearance. It seems to me one person could not take two young girls. At least I wouldn't think. Unless one got scared and just did what the perp told her.

It's so baffling with the lake being right next to interstate 380 that someone didn't see something. There is always traffic going by. Praying they are found soon.

Looking at google maps ... it doesn't look like the road is all that busy all of the time. I think that if the younger one was grabbed, the older one would do something to help ... and then she would be caught up in it. One person could accomplish this, especially if it was planned.

If what I have found on whitepages is correct, Grandma lives in Waterloo. Lyric's Mom lives in Waterloo. And Elizabeth lives in Evansdale. We think Grandma was watching the girls at Elizabeth's house.

Two things are possible. They met someone that grabbed the phone and tossed it away, or they tossed it over the fence themselves because they were planning to get to the other side. If they are not in the water, then they must have gone towards the highway. Walking through the park to one of the nearby roads seems so exposed ... a couple of hundred feet across the grass. I doubt that happened. If there is a hole in the fence, then that would most likely be where they went ... it has to be luring ... most likely through the internet/phone.

If it is through the internet/phone, possible that LE has a good lead... hope so...

This might have already been asked but what type of construction is going on in town? Is it road construction?

This was just tweeted a little bit ago

Matthew Wilde &#8207;@MWildeCourier
Authorities announce no full-scale volunteer search Monday in Evansdale for missing girls.Law enforcement search continues.

https://twitter.com/MWildeCourier

I do agree we need better pictures of them. However, I don't think her size would make her unable to do athletic stuff.

SOURCE-Me being a very chubby kid who was still very athletic, could scale any fence in the world, ride my bike forever, and was one of the fastest kids in my class.

The weird thing is it was reported that the girls do not go that far. They usually stay on their block or street I think. I am beginning to think the bikes were staged there by the lake. I do not have a good feeling about this.

It is weird that they looked at the lake so soon. LE was called at 3 and they located the bikes at approx 4. Although someone on FB did say they called in a tip that they saw the bikes (not girls) at the lake on the path just before 12:27. Apparently that tip was called in as soon as he heard the girls were missing (and I don't know when that was). No one has claimed to have seen the girls at the lake/path. But I would think if someone picked them up in town people would have seen someone putting bikes in their vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member