IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would have been worried if I was the grandmother. They are only 8 and 10 yrs old and that's almost two hours. That seems like a long time to me for a bike ride for kids that age unless they were planning on going to a friend's house or something similar. I do wonder if they had plans to go to a nearby store (to buy candy, soft drinks, etc.) since at least one of them had a purse. Still, I wouldn't expect that to take almost two hours.

Exactly. And the rule at that age is usually CALL ME WHEN YOU GET THERE. So if they were going to a friends house or a candy store, they should have checked in. If they didn't, then you would start to worry. What reason would an 8 yr old have NOT to answer her cell when mom calls? No good reason.

Where are these precious girls? :(

missing+girls.jpg

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/Volunteers-Searching-for-Missing-Girls-Sent-Home-162488276.html

50010091c957d.preview-699.jpg

5001002f0dd1b.preview-699.jpg

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/up...0-cd32-11e1-a656-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=image

I would have been worried if I was the grandmother. They are only 8 and 10 yrs old and that's almost two hours. That seems like a long time to me for a bike ride for kids that age unless they were planning on going to a friend's house or something similar. I do wonder if they had plans to go to a nearby store (to buy candy, soft drinks, etc.) since at least one of them had a purse. Still, I wouldn't expect that to take almost two hours.

I would agree if it turns out that their Grandmother usually expects them to go out on their bikes only for a couple of hours. If she is just into making sure that they stay very close to the house. The fact that one girl had a purse is interesting. Wonder how much $ she had on her ? Sounds like they planned on going to a store someplace.

I do wonder about the distance from where they were last seen and the place where the bikes were found. If the bikes and phone were dumped there by the lake,where were the two girls when this was happening ? It's not an easy scenario to envision...were there a couple of abductors involved ? Or were the girls taken to the home of someone who lives near the lake ? Maybe the latter...

Exactly. And the rule at that age is usually CALL ME WHEN YOU GET THERE. So if they were going to a friends house or a candy store, they should have checked in. If they didn't, then you would start to worry. What reason would an 8 yr old have NOT to answer her cell when mom calls? No good reason.

Do we actually know that their grandmother called the cell ? Or that the 8 year old even had a cell phone ?

Lyric Morrisey is 10 and Elizabeth Collins is almost 9. Lyric is the daughter of Mysti Cook Morrisey and Dan Morrisey & Elizabeth is the Daughter of Drew Collins and Heather COOK Collins. You may know Drew and Heather from Johnsons Bakery & Planetary Tree Service. Both Families attend Vineyard Churches and are active in the community.

This is completely out of character for either of the girls and time is running out to bring them home safely. At this time, it appears to be an abduction. But there are really no more details. It isn't believed that the girls are off with a friend and or got lost.

Please continue to share this and bring as much awareness as you can so that if they are spotted you know to call 319*291*2515 or 911.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-815345

This case needs National Media Attention pronto.

Those girls could be anywhere by now.

According to a poster on the Facebook Group, the girls bikes were seen on the Gilbertville to Meyers Trail just prior to 12:27 pm on Friday, the biker did not see or hear the girls at that time, the tip was called in to LE, fwiw.

Do we actually know that their grandmother called the cell ? Or that the 8 year old even had a cell phone ?

No, I think that all we know is that by 2 something had not happened that should have and that caused the grandmother to be concerned. Whether the girls were due home by then, had failed to checkin by then or had failed to answer their phone has not been clarified. I would assume that if it was one of the first 2 their Grandmom would have tried calling to find out why though. It they were reported missing without the family trying to call their cell I would be very suspicious but the family doesn't set off my hinky meter at all.

At this point, I am leaning toward abduction. My thought is that the girls were riding along the Evansdale Nature Trail and were stopped by someone, near where the bikes were found. One of the girls possibly tried to use her phone and the abducter/s tossed the phone and purse over the fence toward the highway.

JMOO

According to a poster on the Facebook Group, the girls bikes were seen on the Gilbertville to Meyers Trail just prior to 12:27 pm on Friday, the biker did not see or hear the girls at that time, the tip was called in to LE, fwiw.

Wow! So if they were seen in town at 12:15 and their bikes were saw abandoned 2 miles at 12:27 they couldn't have got to the trail alone, right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This case needs National Media Attention pronto.

Those girls could be anywhere by now.

Hopefully NG picks up this story when she goes live after the weekend. Well actually I hope she doesn't have to and that the girls are back home safe and sound by then. :(

MOO

At this point, I am leaning toward abduction. My thought is that the girls were riding along the Evansdale Nature Trail and were stopped by someone, near where the bikes were found. One of the girls possibly tried to use her phone and the abducter/s tossed the phone and purse over the fence toward the highway.

JMOO

Can any of the locals tell us how busy that skatepark would be on that trail just north of where the bikes were found?

JMOO

That was my thoughts too until it was reported that the bikes were saw on the trail only 17 minutes after they were saw in town, 2 miles away, later. I know that it only rumor at thIs point but if it turns out to be true there is no way they got to the trail on their own. They either accepted a ride from someone in town or were abducted in town or not far from there. I'm not liking this at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. When the two girls had not returned at 2 p.m. their grandmother started looking for them. It seems like a fairly short period of time,from 12 :15 to 2 pm. Especially if the girls had already eaten lunch. I wonder if their grandmother told them to be back before 2pm for some reason ?

SBM

The severe heat in Iowa has let up for a few days but it's still hot and humid here in Iowa (I live not so far from Evansdale). Highs in the 80s rather than the high 90s.

I know that when I was a child of that age (about 10 minutes after the dinosaurs went extinct), my mom expected us to check in every hour to two hours. It wasn't such an imposition since we got thirsty quickly. And of course, drinking a lot of fluids leads to needing to use the bathroom frequently as well.

In short, it doesn't seem unusual to me for Grandma to expect to see the girls every hour or two, if only for a quick drink.

I read some of the posts on that last news update and one poster said there are several SO'ers in the area.... Somehow that does not surprise me
Only several?

I'd be more worried about them stumbling across a shake'n'bake meth lab in the woods than a sex offender. If the meth heads thought they had license plate numbers, well, terrible things have happened to people in the past who found meth labs by accident.

Or a pot grow, although that is not as common in Iowa since we really don't have the climate for pot (hemp, yes; but pot has different environmental requirements).

I would agree if it turns out that their Grandmother usually expects them to go out on their bikes only for a couple of hours. If she is just into making sure that they stay very close to the house. The fact that one girl had a purse is interesting. Wonder how much $ she had on her ? Sounds like they planned on going to a store someplace.

I do wonder about the distance from where they were last seen and the place where the bikes were found. If the bikes and phone were dumped there by the lake,where were the two girls when this was happening ? It's not an easy scenario to envision...were there a couple of abductors involved ? Or were the girls taken to the home of someone who lives near the lake ? Maybe the latter...

That caught my attention too ... a 10 year old with a purse. I too am trying to figure out how the bikes got to the SE tip of the lake. It seems like a long way for them to ride bikes without a reason, but maybe there was a reason - like maybe they were going to meet a friend they met on the internet. It seems like an unlikely place for someone to toss the bikes if the girls were taken from another location. The phone and purse over the fence suggests that someone threw them over the fence to prevent the girls from using the phone. That leads me to believe that they met someone in that area where the bikes were found. If one of the girls was grabbed, I think the other one would have become compliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926