IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That was my thoughts too until it was reported that the bikes were saw on the trail only 17 minutes after they were saw in town, 2 miles away, later. I know that it only rumor at thIs point but if it turns out to be true there is no way they got to the trail on their own. They either accepted a ride from someone in town or were abducted in town or not far from there. I'm not liking this at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you know if the trail that is being spoken about on FB (Gilbertville to Meyers Trail) is the same as the Evansdale Nature trail that is marked on my map? I am unable to locate the Gilbertville to Meyers Trail.

That was my thoughts too until it was reported that the bikes were saw on the trail only 17 minutes after they were saw in town, 2 miles away, later. I know that it only rumor at thIs point but if it turns out to be true there is no way they got to the trail on their own. They either accepted a ride from someone in town or were abducted in town or not far from there. I'm not liking this at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bikes were found at about 3:30, the girls were last seen downtown at about 12:15.

Where did you read that the bikes were seen on the SE tip of the lake at 12:30?

Do you know if the trail that is being spoken about on FB (Gilbertville to Meyers Trail) is the same as the Evansdale Nature trail that is marked on my map? I am unable to locate the Gilbertville to Meyers Trail.

The trail crosses Gilbert Dr. I'm guessing it's the same trail.

He and another Child RSO live across the street from one another. I have both on my map. I am inclined to believe that they may have gone that way, down South Evans Road, instead of via River Forest Road, toward the lake.

I can't believe how many there are. There's one right next to the elementary school one of the girls attended! His victim was a young girl, too. What is wrong with people?

I am actually worried about that lake... have they used side scan sonar yet? It has been hot everywhere lately.. I hope they did not go swimming and had an accident... it has been so hot over most of the country lately... I could see them throwing down their bikes to take a dip... how far were the bikes from the water? Had they swam there before? Could they swim?

I just saw an article the other day that said that drowning related deaths are up this summer related the the extreme heat in the nation and people flocking to pools, lakes, and oceans.

Hope they are found safe and sound!

He and another Child RSO live across the street from one another. I have both on my map. I am inclined to believe that they may have gone that way, down South Evans Road, instead of via River Forest Road, toward the lake.

How is that even possible?!? :banghead:

Do we actually know that their grandmother called the cell ? Or that the 8 year old even had a cell phone ?

One of them had their cell. And I am pretty sure the grandmother would have had that number and tried to reach them before calling LE.

I am a little confused on the timeline. G'ma last saw them at 12:15.
They were seen at a store in town at 12:15.
The missing poster says they were seen riding bikes at the lake about 2.
Some else mentions their bikes were seen at the spot by lake at 12:27.
Bikes found at 3:30.

Have we confirmed which home they started from?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

One thing that has not been discussed is the possibility of a bike crash which led to a little girl and her cousin going to a home near the crash site for a bandage, ice, etc.

I am actually worried about that lake... have they used side scan sonar yet? It has been hot everywhere lately.. I hope they did not go swimming and had an accident... it has been so hot over most of the country lately... I could see them throwing down their bikes to take a dip... how far were the bikes from the water? Had they swam there before? Could they swim?

I just saw an article the other day that said that drowning related deaths are up this summer related the the extreme heat in the nation and people flocking to pools, lakes, and oceans.

Hope they are found safe and sound!

There were 3 boys in MD who drown in the river near their house just last week. They'd never set foot in the water before, but it was so terribly hot that they believe the boys went in for a dip. None could swim. So sad!

The lake has been searched. I believe it was searched with sonar. It's in one of the earlier articles in the thread. I also posted an article from a few years ago where they show the lake after it was drained. That lake empties into another lake. It's been super, super dry in the Midwest. My guess is that the lake level was really low. Plus, one girl had high tops. And they haven't been accounted for.

I was looking at the street view of that trail again and does it look like there is fencing on both sides of that trail right around where the bikes were found? If you follow the street view a little further west you can see what I mean.

Maybe someone who has searched or is local can answer this?

According to a poster on the Facebook Group, the girls bikes were seen on the Gilbertville to Meyers Trail just prior to 12:27 pm on Friday, the biker did not see or hear the girls at that time, the tip was called in to LE, fwiw.

Wonder if this tip was called in after the missing posters were made because it says they were last seen riding bikes at the lake about 2 pm. Were they seen there at that time or is that where they were supposed to be (as in told G'ma where they would be)?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Kamille, I mentioned the skate park to someone else earlier- I too wonder if a local knows if it is a busy place in the afternoons...I have seen my fair share of unusual folks hanging at them-- NOT that ALL that go there are 'bad'
Wonder if the older girls had any crushes on older guys??

Also wonder if either of the girls ever had any problems ever being bullied by peers

Here's the map I started...

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...0.204844,0.308647&iwloc=0004c4d406effc9c7306f

Anyone have any other locations to add? I don't have the grandmother's address. Anyone?

hollye.. this is an incredible map... THANK YOU!!!!:rocker: (you are one of the best map makers around!!!!!)

sure looks like they could have ridden on the nature trail around the lake and decided to take a dip :-(

when I was a kid we would ride a five mile loop at that age to nearest little store to buy candy.. I don't see the distance from the home as being odd.. I do however wonder what their knowledge base of the lake was.. (re: had they been there before?).. I also noticed on that map there is a skate park right in that same area.. wondering if they had stopped there in between?

I can't believe how many there are. There's one right next to the elementary school one of the girls attended! His victim was a young girl, too. What is wrong with people?

Iowa has residency restrictions on RSOs:

http://www.iowasexoffender.com/SORregistration.pdf

In short, RSOs may not live within 2000 feet of schools, daycares, public libraries, parks, etc. There are ways to get exceptions, however.

It was one of those ideas that sounded good on paper but has turned into a fiasco in real life. RSOs are now pushed away from cities and towns and out into rural areas.

Understandably, us rural folk wish we could slap the legislators who thought that our areas would be good areas for RSOs to congregate.

My guess is that the residency requirements will be changed within the next decade, as rural residents get madder and madder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow