Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, back on track...

Is it possible that the girls were taken from the lake then the perp weighed down their bodies and put the in the lake AFTER it was drained and they moved on to other options?

I wouldn't think so, but that's JMO because I believe LE planted cameras out there to see if anyone could be caught doing just that...getting rid of evidence in the same location to "play" LE if discovered later, or just the perp coming back to visit the area.

Please provide a link to any police statement regarding the direction that the children went at 12:15.
SBM

Charlottecat included one a bit ago.

"It looked kind of grainy, I mean just zoom they were by the thing and so it's very hard to really make much out of the thing," Black Hawk County Chief Deputy Rick Abben said. "The girls were less than a block from the house when this camera captured them riding by, important to note they were riding away from Meyers Lake."
[B]http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing...elizabeth-collins-lyric/story?id=16850676[/B]

My first post here. Hope that helps.

BBM

Just catching up on this case but my gut is telling me one or two teenage boys out during the summer. Don't know why...just can't seem to get that idea out of my head.

The FBI stated on about July 23 that they believed the girls were alive. That was at the same time that Elizabeth's father discovered a message on his cell phone from Elizabeth stating "daddy, I miss you".

I don't think I'd heard about this- was this a message left before the girls went missing that he discovered when he checked his voicemail or something? Had he not checked it in 10 days (I don't check mine for weeks or months sometimes, I admit).

Haven't been following the thread super-closely so would appreciate it if someone could/would fill me in. :)

The FBI stated on about July 23 that they believed the girls were alive. That was at the same time that Elizabeth's father discovered a message on his cell phone from Elizabeth stating "daddy, I miss you".

Looking for a link but it was reported that the voicemail was made to the phone on July 12th. Drew hadn't checked his voicemail until July 19th (give or take a few days)

"It looked kind of grainy, I mean just zoom they were by the thing and so it's very hard to really make much out of the thing," Black Hawk County Chief Deputy Rick Abben said. "The girls were less than a block from the house when this camera captured them riding by, important to note they were riding away from Meyers Lake."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/missing-io...deo-elizabeth-collins-lyric/story?id=16850676

My first post here. Hope that helps.

Thanks! I stand corrected. I still don't understand how Abben figures they were riding away from the lake.

I would say the girls were riding away from the lake because they were riding NORTHWEST on Brovan. Brovan runs northwest/southeast so they were riding AWAY from the lake and not towards it. But with the information we have we do not know if they turned left onto river forest road and headed towards the lake or if they turned right on river forest and looped around the block and headed back south towards the lake.

The only information we have is the video showing them riding northwest which is away from the lake.

I would say the girls were riding away from the lake because they were riding NORTHWEST on Brovan. Brovan runs northwest/southeast so they were riding AWAY from the lake and not towards it. But with the information we have we do not know if they turned left onto river forest road and headed towards the lake or if they turned right on river forest and looped around the block and headed back south towards the lake.

The only information we have is the video showing them riding northwest which is away from the lake.

Maybe from a local perspective, riding West on that road means away from the lake, but from an aerial perspective, it doesn't appear to make any difference. In fact, riding West appears to take the children closer to the trail at the lake, but perhaps Abben was thinking about the start of the Evansdale Nature Trail off Lafayette.

meyerscamera.jpg

Maybe from a local perspective, riding West on that road means away from the lake, but from an aerial perspective, it doesn't appear to make any difference. In fact, riding West appears to take the children closer to the trail at the lake, but perhaps Abben was thinking about the start of the Evansdale Nature Trail off Lafayette.

meyerscamera.jpg
I'm surprised no one has picked up on this yet. But maybe Abben is unintentionally telling us which way the bikes were pointed on the trail by telling us the girls were going the wrong way on Brovan.

It's so frustrating. I just re-read a bunch of the early articles and the first one I found said the girls left at 12:30. Then once the surveillance camera video was released it showed 12:15, and the next story said they were seen leaving for their bike ride at about 11:30... so it seemed to me like she hadn't seen the girls for awhile and wasn't exactly sure. The next one said that the Grandmother last saw them at about 12:15. Did she SEE them or did she think that was probably them on the camera? I don't read anything into it other than uncertainty, I think everyone's just upset and confused and I have no doubt some of it's fuzzy reporting, but it sure makes it hard to narrow down when something might've happened.

The threads/posts are all linked on the first post of this thread if you want to go bang your head against a wall like I just did. :( So sad they're not home yet.

I am positive that WC (the grandmother) said that they left the home around 11:30 and that at around 12:15 she looked outside to check on them and she saw them on the street. I am confident that she said that before either of the two videos were released. I have read here on WS that she said she saw them after 12:00 after the first video came out. But, I don't think that is correct. I can't find a link to prove it, but I am sure about it.

(And before someone reminds me again that there is only one video, yes, thank you, I understand that... :crazy: In this case, 2 videos = 1 videos.)

That River Rd looks like it has a road that runs to Hanson Lake. I think they need to look back in there.

The girls are almost always on my mind but even more so on Sundays when I'm in church. Yesterday we left church and went out to eat afterwards. The ride from the church to where we ate was about 35 minutes and they were heavy on my mind the whole time during the trip. I was praying for them so hard and asking God if my prayers made any difference because if the girls are no longer alive then there's not any chance they will come home "safe & sound". So I was literally in such deep thought that I was walking kind of absent-mindedly into the restaurant. A sweet young lady came along to seat us and gave us a huge smile. I looked at her name tag and her name was "Lyric"! Oh my goodness, I began to well up with tears and I told her I had never heard that name before until recently when I heard about a little girl with that name from Iowa who is missing. I told her it is a beautiful name. She then got tears in her eyes and she started to cry and I cried and so we both just hugged each other and cried a little bit. It was such a strange thing to happen but very sweet. She told me she would pray for Lyric.

Just thought I'd share. It just took my breath away to be standing there all alone but in a crowd and look up and see this name tag and sweet smiling face. I really never have heard that name before hearing about Lyric. And, it is definately a pretty name.

meyerscamera.jpg

I was just basing it off of google maps, Brovan doesn't run east/west it runs NW/SE, so heading NW is technically away from the lake, not towards it. I realize you can get to the lake going either way, but if they'd been riding their bikes right around the house then suddenly with great speed headed northwest, it may lend to the idea that they were not headed towards the lake. Then again, we don't know what their regular riding habits were like or which route they would typically take to the lake.

I honestly have no idea and was just trying to offer another reason the detective stated they were riding away from the lake.

I could be completely wrong, it's happened before, at least once. ;)

Was that van parked up there? It has what looked like three windows on the passenger side and the lettering looked like it was in lower case letters. shutters, charlies not those words but tall short like that.

It had to be moving. I looked for stopped vehicles up there when I took the pictures. But those white vans sure do seem to follow this case around, don't they?

Maybe Erin Kay Pospisil missing from Cedar Rapids sine 2001. She was 15 yrs old at the time.

IA IA - Erin Kay Pospisil, 15, Cedar Rapids, 3 June 2001 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

In reply to Bootsctr.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I live about 45 minutes away from cedar rapids, and I don't remember this case at all. There is also another missing case of a little boy, a toddler, who wandered away from his home and was presumed to have drown in therr cedar river. He was wearing a snowsuit. He was never found.

I live about 45 minutes away from cedar rapids, and I don't remember this case at all. There is also another missing case of a little boy, a toddler, who wandered away from his home and was presumed to have drown in therr cedar river. He was wearing a snowsuit. He was never found.

Guy Heckle?

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/heckle_guy.html

ETA: My bad, he wasn't a toddler, but he is believed to have drowned in the Cedar River and was wearing a jacket when he went missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow