IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #36

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is an article about the girls. I'm trying to link it using my tablet so I hope this works!

http://m.kcci.com/news/2-years-later-where-investigators-are-in-case-of-evansdale-girls/30028578

For those of you having trouble opening the link, it basically says that today is the two-year anniversary of their bodies being discovered they have exhausted all of their leads and that a potential suspect in the case has been cleared and no arrest is imminent. :( They were asking for anyone with information to please come forward. It also mentions that they are continuing to ivestigate if the murders were in any way related to one of the family's drug dealing.

For those of you having trouble opening the link, it basically says that today is the two-year anniversary of their bodies being discovered they have exhausted all of their leads and that a potential suspect in the case has been cleared and no arrest is imminent. :( They were asking for anyone with information to please come forward. It also mentions that they are continuing to ivestigate if the murders were in any way related to one of the family's drug dealing.
Thanks for the synopsis, and sorry the only link I have is a mobile link.

I often think of these girls and hope that justice is found for them.
They should be getting ready and excited about Christmas right now! This perp better not be enjoying anything in his life after stealing theirs.

MOO!!

Here is an article about the girls. I'm trying to link it using my tablet so I hope this works!

http://m.kcci.com/news/2-years-later-where-investigators-are-in-case-of-evansdale-girls/30028578

Thanks for the new article!

From the link..

"While no arrests have been made, state investigators said how close they are to solving the case.

The pain people felt in Evansdale two years ago is still felt today as authorities continue to investigate who kidnapped and murdered 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins and 10-year-old Lyric Cook.

"I wish I could say that there is an arrest that's imminent. But there is not at this time,” said Mitch Mortvedt, assistant director of the DCI.

Mortvedt said hundreds of people have been interviewed and police have looked into hundreds of leads.

"Those leads are exhausted and ran out to the ninth degree,” he said.

The cousins disappeared while riding bikes near a lake in Evansdale. Five months later hunters discovered their bodies at a county park about 20 miles away.

“We are constantly reviewing the evidence that we have, and at times searching the areas again,” Mortvedt said".

Video from link..

http://www.kcci.com/news/2-years-later-where-investigators-are-in-case-of-evansdale-girls/30030002

I feel that the investigators are truly dedicated and are devastated that they have not caught the monster responsible for this unforgivable crime. My heart goes out to them and I pray they have the strength to resolve this soon. :heartbeat:

It is shocking and almost unheard of, at least it is new to me, that someone who sexually assaulted a young girl, would then actually hire a hitman to murder her!
Could someone have done a similar thing in this case ?
Thinking of other sex offenders in prison in the area, and wondering if any might have info. about the troubles in the L and L families and sold/ traded that information to a would - be offender on the outside?
Family problems can often render a child more vulnerable, at least in the eyes of a predator, imo.
Maybe someone was even paid to" deliver "the girls to someone else, considering that a hitman was hired to "brutally" murder Donnisha, a mere child!
Did someone, perhaps in a position of power/money/influence, utilize the desperation of a drug addict to procure the girls in exchange for money/drugs?
speculation, moo.
Jumping off your post.

I have never been convinced that sexual assault was the primary motive behind the abduction of Lyric and Lizzy. I think the girls were possibly taken and offered as payment to someone who may or may not have sexually assaulted them prior to killing them.

I have tried to remove the whole meth thing from this case but just can't. It seems to be a major factor in what happened to these two little girls, IMO. I know Lizzy wasn't exposed to the drug world on a daily basis, but Lyric was.

I found it interesting that the article I linked earlier specifically mentioned the drug element was still being looked into.

All JMO, of course!

Jumping off your post.

I have never been convinced that sexual assault was the primary motive behind the abduction of Lyric and Lizzy. I think the girls were possibly taken and offered as payment to someone who may or may not have sexually assaulted them prior to killing them.

I have tried to remove the whole meth thing from this case but just can't. It seems to be a major factor in what happened to these two little girls, IMO. I know Lizzy wasn't exposed to the drug world on a daily basis, but Lyric was.

I found it interesting that the article I linked earlier specifically mentioned the drug element was still being looked into.

All JMO, of course!

I have wondered the same Marilynilpa just like the horrific Shaniya Davis case which I will never forget. I hope this is not the case.

smh .... I still find it quite the coincidence in the similarity of victims and hope this dude has been thoroughly checked out! He is the former Mayor of Oelwin (18 miles east of 7Bs); "Joseph Manus" who is a heavy equipment operator (physically fit to transport bodies from a vehicle to a location within the woods of 7Bs ... IMO) and moved to the area six years ago. He was arrested on 11-AUG-2014
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st.../oelwein-mayor-charged-sexual-abuse/13906535/
(snipped)
Sheriff's deputies arrested Jason Manus at his home in Oelwein, a city of 6,400 people where he has been mayor since January. Manus is charged with five counts of second-degree sexual abuse for allegedly assaulting a 14-year-old girl four times and a 9-year-old girl once in July and August 2010 at his home. Each count carries up to 25 years in prison and placement on Iowa's sex offender registry.

The assaults allegedly took place in a basement cellar and on a living room couch, where Manus held the girls against their will and covered their mouths to muffle their screams, according to criminal complaints. Both girls feared for their lives and were allegedly warned "not to tell anyone" about what happened, ..."

Check out the travel route from Oelwein to Evansdale and note that 7B is 1/2 way: http://mapq.st/1Apx9Gi

This article was dated back in August. Have we already discussed this? I cannot remember. Maybe I was still too hung up on Klunder at the time.

Has anyone been able to find any update to the Jason Manus arrest in August?
These crimes happened back in 2010 in his own home. Where was his wife and children?
How brazen was he?
His location and familiarity of the area fits as well as the age of his victims.

I would think that all LE depts across the state and Arizona would be aware of this and would hope that Black Hawk LE have been investigating him at least since his arrest by Fayette County LE though latest news releases imply there are no suspects, ties, etc.

In your link, it said that the Oelwein officials and police department were unaware of any allegations until the arrest was made. I realize Fayette County wanted to keep things under wrap until they had gathered all their evidence and made the arrest, but if no department is communicating with another, it is worrisome. BH has not released any statement clearing him like they did of Klunder, have they?

I think it's well worth calling in a tip on this man just to cover the bases.

City officials had no knowledge of JM's investigation until he was arrested, the bombshell hit the media, and then resigned ... well, I wonder how this all became knowledge and what caused the arrest. Is it possible .... that LE suspects him in the disappearance of Lyric and Lizzy (L&L). Could it be that during the investigation, LE learned of these other incidents and upon speaking with the victims were able to make this arrest. (These witnesses have a voice.) Is LE still building their case of his involvement with L&L. Just thinking out loud here, what do you all think?

I wish. When I heard of this man, the 1st thing I thought of was Elizabeth & Lyric. Every time someone is arrested in the area for sexual abuse of a child, I always say maybe they killed the girls. He does have ties to Waterloo, so time will tell. And he's not too far from Seven Bridges...

It wouldn't be the first time LE has nailed somebody for a different crime when they either don't have enough evidence on the major crime or need more time to prepare the case. (Not that sexual abuse is a minor crime, I just mean it's got a shorter jail term than murder.)

That happened back in January.
Found this update from August that describes the crime as child stealing. I haven't heard that term before. Is that a lesser charge than kidnapping or abduction?
Article was too short to copy but says he is being looked at as a possible suspect in four other cases. I wonder what those are?

http://www.jrn.com/kmtv/news/Nathan-Busse-in-court-270334481.html

ETA - This post doesn't make sense since it was in reference to a post that has now disappeared.
A man was arrested back in January for trying to take a 10 yo girl in Council Bluff which happened back in Jan.
Here is another link to that story.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/10-Y...r-Outside-School-188815721.html?m=y&smobile=y

That happened back in January.
Found this update from August that describes the crime as child stealing. I haven't heard that term before. Is that a lesser charge than kidnapping or abduction?
Article was too short to copy but says he is being looked at as a possible suspect in four other cases. I wonder what those are?

http://www.jrn.com/kmtv/news/Nathan-Busse-in-court-270334481.html

ETA - This post doesn't make sense since it was in reference to a post that has now disappeared.
A man was arrested back in January for trying to take a 10 yo girl in Council Bluff which happened back in Jan.
Here is another link to that story.

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/10-Y...r-Outside-School-188815721.html?m=y&smobile=y
Sorry for that...I deleted it because I thought it was a recent article and since it was older I figured the police would have checked by now to see if there was any connection to lyric and Elizabeth....I didn't find any more articles relating to reference that this wasn't his first time :...it looks like his last name is scattered in bremer county though.

Sorry for that...I deleted it because I thought it was a recent article and since it was older I figured the police would have checked by now to see if there was any connection to lyric and Elizabeth....I didn't find any more articles relating to reference that this wasn't his first time :...it looks like his last name is scattered in bremer county though.

That is very interesting. I didn't know anything about a possible Bremer County connection. What triggered my interest besides the attempted abduction in IA was his age and looks. Links above put his age at 19 which would probably have put him at 17 when the girls were taken and killed. I would think it would be very easy for them not to fear a teenager at that age.

Just looked for latest updates and found that the suspect who they now say is 21 will not be on trial for some time. Apparently he has now been found incompetent and has been sent for evaluation and treatment at Oakdale Prison in Coralville which is between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City.

http://www.nonpareilonline.com/news...cle_91cda812-74a8-5b5b-8e3f-50ba3b031268.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tomevertonfc