IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if there was a guest at Jodi’s the night before her disappearance, and if so, how did he or she escape detection? I believe Jodi’s parking lot facing apartment to have been as much of a crime scene venue as the parking lot itself (think: timeline data, DNA not Jodi’s from empty beer cans, miscellaneous receipts, etc). If there was a guest he or she would be another vital witness to question but we’ll never know because no such person has come forward.

I wonder if there was a guest at Jodi’s the night before her disappearance, and if so, how did he or she escape detection? I believe Jodi’s parking lot facing apartment to have been as much of a crime scene venue as the parking lot itself (think: timeline data, DNA not Jodi’s from empty beer cans, miscellaneous receipts, etc). If there was a guest he or she would be another vital witness to question but we’ll never know because no such person has come forward.
I'd think if there was a guest, the guest was the perp. Because any sane non-complicit guest, upon learning later that day the horrifying, shocking news that Jodi had been assaulted, taken and very likely murdered, would have promptly come forward both to try to help and to avoid the appearance of trying to hide. A guest complicit in Jodi's disappearance would, of course, not have come forward. And *supposedly* Jodi had been seeing someone at the time of her disappearance. Was that someone her guest that evening?...

Last edited:
I'd think if there was a guest, the guest was the perp. Because any sane non-complicit guest, upon learning later that day the horrifying, shocking news that Jodi had been assaulted, taken and very likely murdered, would have promptly come forward both to try to help and to avoid the appearance of trying to hide. A guest complicit in Jodi's disappearance would, of course, not have come forward. And *supposedly* Jodi had been seeing someone at the time of her disappearance. Was that someone her guest that evening?...
Just for a moment there, could almost imagine the wife/gf. of a cheating partner, listening at JH's door for the male voice she suspects is in there, recognizes it - then waits to ambush Jodi in the parking lot.
speculation, imo.

Just for a moment there, could almost imagine the wife/gf. of a cheating partner, listening at JH's door for the male voice she suspects is in there, recognizes it - then waits to ambush Jodi in the parking lot.
speculation, imo.
Yes- a cheating spouse, or jealous, enraged partner of a cheating spouse would be very hesitant to come forward. Especially in smaller farming town where everyone knows everyone. Jmo.

Maybe Ladonna’s alleged friend was married too. Maybe the friend’s spouse, or even Ladonna’s husband. I wish they could run thermal imaging on LW’s farm. Jmo

Weird how LW's friend - JV's then girlfriend - somehow managed to stay completely out of the public eye in this very high profile case. Who is she? Is she alive today? Did she perchance recently confess to Steve Ridge to having destroyed key evidence relating to Jodi's disappearance back in '95?
Or does the gf even exist? If not why fabricate her? So LD can appease her own husband’s suspicions or that of the community? To hide her own affair or attraction to JV? Imo she’s all made up, fictional character. Otherwise the findjodi team would have located her long ago & reported on it- even if they kept her ID anonymous. Moo, jmo...

Welcome to WS, by the way!
Thank you!

From 48 Hours

JVS quotes:
"I just loved watching her have fun"
"I tried to watch over her. I tried to check on her once in a while. Not all the time. Just once in a while. See how she's getting along."
"If you ever go in her apartment and you see men's clothes, they're mine. If I had a shirt she liked, you know, I'd wear it for a while then I'd give it to her."

According to Ladonna, JVS described Jodi's Miata as a "gift" from a "boyfriend" but that Jodi "didn't like it and was going to give it back to [the boyfriend]". Jodi's best friend denied this and the car has been verified by FindJodi as a purchase of Jodi's own.

Police have DNA.

Chief Brinkley: "I don't want to let the cat out of the bag"
Anchor: "Is there a cat in the bag?"
Brinkley: "...No" LOL

Interesting how these bits of information fit in with what's being discussed here...

Thank you!

From 48 Hours

JVS quotes:
"I just loved watching her have fun"
"I tried to watch over her. I tried to check on her once in a while. Not all the time. Just once in a while. See how she's getting along."
"If you ever go in her apartment and you see men's clothes, they're mine. If I had a shirt she liked, you know, I'd wear it for a while then I'd give it to her."

According to Ladonna, JVS described Jodi's Miata as a "gift" from a "boyfriend" but that Jodi "didn't like it and was going to give it back to [the boyfriend]". Jodi's best friend denied this and the car has been verified by FindJodi as a purchase of Jodi's own.

Police have DNA.

Chief Brinkley: "I don't want to let the cat out of the bag"
Anchor: "Is there a cat in the bag?"
Brinkley: "...No" LOL

Interesting how these bits of information fit in with what's being discussed here...
It seems likely to me that someone spent the night with Jodi, her last night in that apartment. Prolly had something to do with why she overslept, why toilet seat was up, why there were six to eight beer cans of not one but two brands ( three or four Lowenbrau or Leinenkugel, and three or four Bud Light tallboys) in the sink. This presumed guest is not known to have admitted to having been there that night, which reticence would seem to suggest that he may have been the perp. Was this individual the driver of the late model sedan that a jogger says nearly struck her as it raced out of the Key Apts. lot onto Kentucky Ave. at around 4:35am that early morn? Why the hurry? Here, Jim Feldhaus, a private sleuth who worked the case on his own, is interviewed 16 years ago in 2004 before he passed. He mentions the apartment scene, and continually points the finger at one suspect, though he never utters the guy's name...

Last edited:
For me, the "who was the late night guest?" is the single most intriguing aspect of this case and by now appears to implicate whoever it was in Jodi's disappearance. Any guest that night not involved in Jodi's disappearance surely would have come forward by now.

Guys with a female partner usually put the toilet seat back down after use, the ones who do not- in my experience, are of a particular, perhaps less than respectful breed, or possibly a tipsy teen/young adult.

No idea how others view it, maybe it is generally accepted that the seat should be returned to its position, especially if one is a guest in a proper young lady's home.

Not exactly a "smoking gun", but it would be interesting if any male in Jodi's circle, usually leaves the seat up, did LE notice that in any of the homes of potential suspects?
speculation, imo.

It seems likely to me that someone spent the night with Jodi, her last night in that apartment. Prolly had something to do with why she overslept, why toilet seat was up, why there were six to eight beer cans of not one but two brands ( three or four Lowenbrau or Leinenkugel, and three or four Bud Light tallboys) in the sink. This presumed guest is not known to have admitted to having been there that night, which reticence would seem to suggest that he may have been the perp. Was this individual the driver of the late model sedan that a jogger says nearly struck her as it raced out of the Key Apts. lot onto Kentucky Ave. at around 4:35am that early morn? Why the hurry? Here, Jim Feldhaus, a private sleuth who worked the case on his own, is interviewed 16 years ago in 2004 before he passed. He mentions the apartment scene, and continually points the finger at one suspect, though he never utters the guy's name...

Those beer cans would have had fingerprints all over them. Whose? Jodi's and who else's? Did MCPD screw that up? "What'd ya do wit dem beer cans, Sarge? I cashed 'em in for 40 cent, Chief..."

BBM...I wonder if before he passed, he disclosed to anyone the name of his suspect?

Guys with a female partner usually put the toilet seat back down after use, the ones who do not- in my experience, are of a particular, perhaps less than respectful breed, or possibly a tipsy teen/young adult.

No idea how others view it, maybe it is generally accepted that the seat should be returned to its position, especially if one is a guest in a proper young lady's home.

Not exactly a "smoking gun", but it would be interesting if any male in Jodi's circle, usually leaves the seat up, did LE notice that in any of the homes of potential suspects?
speculation, imo.
I view it kind of like marking one’s territory. So that any other man would know another man was in the apartment. Ditto for the cans.

I don’t think he’s our perp though. Why grab her in a public parking lot at the last minute if you’ve had access to her in her private apartment all night? My guess is that he’s been un-ID’d all these years because he’s married. Just my guess.

What do we think the evidence that is hidden or destroyed is ?
Excellent question. Her body would be at the top of the list. Personal belongings. Her clothes. Perp’s clothes. Chloroform rag. Murder weapon. Documents that could reveal everything. I wonder if any pages from her diary were missing. And if that diary was EVER in the evidence room. Just some ideas. Brainstorming here...

ETA: Jodi’s briefcase with 2 notebooks/ address books was never located- maybe that’s it?

Last edited:

I saw this vid years ago & still have zero idea what to make of it. Lots of conversation about Jodi & the perp, then a reference to remains with good dental work that he asked to be compared to Jodi’s dental records, followed by references to Newton, IA & Branson, MO, and final film footage of farmland with no narrative or subtitles. Interview seems to start & stop a lot- omissions?

Here’s what I could gather...

Although he never states a name, he does state that this suspect, that has never been cleared:
-passed a polygraph
-lived alone
-no wife
-drank only 16 oz cans Bud Light
-Jodi didn’t like this guy, wouldn’t have let him stay all night, was afraid of him

Jodi collected cans for aluminum refund.
-she drank Löwenbräu beer
-her briefcase with notebooks/ address books were missing

Sounds like JV except for the “feared him“ part- where’d that come from? I’ve not heard any of Jodi’s friends or fam say she feared JV. IF he was referencing JV.

Not sure the toilet seat or beer cans are significant, but the missing notebooks sure could be.

Speculation...

ETA: JV was divorced when all this went down. Anyone ever hear who his ex-wife was or her experience with JV? Interviews? Statements? She’d be one of the first people I’d interview...

I saw this vid years ago & still have zero idea what to make of it. Lots of conversation about Jodi & the perp, then a reference to remains with good dental work that he asked to be compared to Jodi’s dental records, followed by references to Newton, IA & Branson, MO, and final film footage of farmland with no narrative or subtitles. Interview seems to start & stop a lot- omissions?

Here’s what I could gather...

Although he never states a name, he does state that this suspect, that has never been cleared:
-passed a polygraph
-lived alone
-no wife
-drank only 16 oz cans Bud Light
-Jodi didn’t like this guy, wouldn’t have let him stay all night, was afraid of him

Jodi collected cans for aluminum refund.
-she drank Löwenbräu beer
-her briefcase with notebooks/ address books were missing

Sounds like JV except for the “feared him“ part- where’d that come from? I’ve not heard any of Jodi’s friends or fam say she feared JV. IF he was referencing JV.

Not sure the toilet seat or beer cans are significant, but the missing notebooks sure could be.

Speculation...

ETA: JV was divorced when all this went down. Anyone ever hear who his ex-wife was or her experience with JV? Interviews? Statements? She’d be one of the first people I’d interview...
This will answer the question on Newton, Iowa reference:

Closing the book on Copper Dollar • Find Jodi Huisentruit

Steve Ridge met with John Vansice in 2019. One thing Ridge said afterward was:
"What has never been known all this time is the fact that he did in fact have a steady girlfriend at his own age," said Ridge. "But due to some circumstances that I can't disclose yet, he was not able to see [his girlfriend at the time] in public."

New in Jodi Huisentruit case: Corridor man speaks to person of interest

But we know that LW already had said that JV had a GF in 1995, and that the GF was LW's friend. What circumstances might have prevented JV from seeing this GF in public?! And what are the circumstances that Ridge says keep him from disclosing why JV was not able to see this GF in public? Strange.

Steve Ridge met with John Vansice in 2019. One thing Ridge said afterward was:
"What has never been known all this time is the fact that he did in fact have a steady girlfriend at his own age," said Ridge. "But due to some circumstances that I can't disclose yet, he was not able to see [his girlfriend at the time] in public."

New in Jodi Huisentruit case: Corridor man speaks to person of interest

But we know that LW already had said that JV had a GF in 1995, and that the GF was LW's friend. What circumstances might have prevented JV from seeing this GF in public?! And what are the circumstances that Ridge says keep him from disclosing why JV was not able to see this GF in public? Strange.

Ridge would not say one way or the other whether he thought JV abducted Jodi: if he didnt' think that was the case why not just say no i don't think he did. hmmmm

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crunchy Riff
Back