GUILTY IA - JoEllen Browning, 65, found stabbed to death in home, Iowa City, April 2019 *husband arrested*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
JoEllen Browning stabbed to death, preliminary autopsy report shows

Anyone have any info about what happened here? Such a sad story! The police are being very tight lipped about it.
Welcome to Websleuths, emaj61. :) LE is still investigating, so I don't expect to hear many details at this point, but sometimes they surprise us. What I've noted so far:
  • JoEllen Browning was 65 years old, employed by University of Iowa Health Care since 1977 (42 years), and was planning to retire next February.
  • On Friday, April 5 at 6:59 a.m., emergency responders were called to the home owned by her and her husband at 114 Green Mountain Drive, Iowa City where JoEllen was found deceased.
  • Her death was ruled a homicide on Sunday, April 7.
  • As of April 10, The Iowa DCI and Iowa City PD had between 15 and 20 investigators on the case continuing to review tips and information. Processing of the crime scene was complete.
  • Her funeral was held on Thursday, April 11, at St. Mary's Catholic Church.
  • The preliminary autopsy by the Johnson County Medical Examiner's Office indicates that she died as a result of sharp force injuries.

Last edited:
APR 10, 2019
Slain Iowa health official died from 'sharp force injuries'
[...]

Browning, 65, was found dead April 5 in her Iowa City home, where she lived with her husband of 42 years, businessman RB. The couple has two adult children.

Police have released few details as the investigation continues. They have not said who called 911 to report Browning being unresponsive and have withheld audio of the call.

[...]

CS director of the Johnson County Medical Examiner's office, says sharp force injuries are those caused by a sharp object such as a knife. He declined comment on whether the autopsy was able to identify the object used to harm Browning.

[...]

(names changed to initials by me)

JoEllen Browning Obituary - Visitation & Funeral Information
JoEllen Browning
February 6, 1954 - April 5, 2019
Thumbnail.jpg

[...]

JoEllen was director of operating budgets for UI Health Care. She planned to retire in February.

JoEllen was a Eucharistic minister at the Newman Center and an avid Hawkeye and Chicago Cubs supporter. She enjoyed time spent gardening and traveling, especially on the Hawkeye cruises and family trips to Wisconsin. Most important to JoEllen was the love she had for her family.

[...]

APR 7, 2019
‘Suspicious death’ of UI Health Care employee being investigated as homicide
[...]

The neighbor said an authority from the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation stopped by on the evening of April 5 and told their family there was no danger to anyone else in the neighborhood from the incident at the Browning household. The neighbor added that authorities towed two vehicles away from the crime scene, that police had used metal detectors in the yard at one point, and that detectives canvassed the neighborhood on April 5.

[...]

Roughly 100 interviews have been conducted during an investigation into the killing of JoEllen Browning, police said Friday.

Four weeks after the longtime University of Iowa hospital budget executive was found stabbed to death in her Iowa City home, the homicide investigation continues and no arrest has been made.

“The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation and the Iowa City Police Department are continuing to investigate this case,” police said in a statement Friday evening. “Approximately 20 agents and investigators have been involved in conducting upwards of 100 interviews.”

Police said they are awaiting lab results from evidence at the scene.
Month later, few answers in Browning homicide

@AlwaysHopeToHelp, Can you tell me if you would expect to see a death by sharp-force injuries categorized as "unconscious/fainting?" I get that Ms. Browning was unconscious, but given that it was undoubtedly a bloody crime scene, it just sounds odd to me. Thanks for any help you can provide. :)

From the quoted link:

According to police, that call for service is categorized as “unconscious/fainting.” Iowa City police Sgt. Derek Frank said he could not disclose who made the call for help.

I believe that the categorization of “unconscious/fainting “ must have been chosen by the dispatcher when he or she took the call, based upon what the caller told them. If the caller had reported heart attack or loud noise or fire, that’s how the call would go out, regardless of the true nature of the situation. At the time of the call, the only information available comes from the caller or possibly other sounds, if any, that might be heard in the background.

JUN 6, 2019
Two months after JoEllen Browning's death, homicide investigation is ongoing
It's been two months since JoEllen Browning, 65, a University of Iowa administrator, was found dead in her home on Iowa City's east side.

Investigators say the homicide investigation is active and they can't answer questions about whether or not they have made arrests, identified suspects or when they'll have an update on the case.

The Iowa City Police Department and the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations are still following leads and say to protect the integrity of the investigation, they can't comment on lingering questions and concerns.

"Every case is unique," said DCI Special Agent In Charge Rick Rahn, based in the Quad Cities. "We have to look at each case on its own. We can't compare. We have to do what we can with what's handed to us."

[...]

25 photos at the link

JUL 31, 2019
JoEllen Browning slaying investigation in Iowa City 'not on the back burner,' DCI says
Nearly four months have passed since JoEllen Browning was found stabbed to death in her Iowa City home, but the case is far from cold.

In fact, Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation Special Agent in Charge Rick Rahn said investigators were actively working the case as recently as this week.

[...]

Authorities announced in May that roughly 100 interviews had been conducted in the case.

[...]

Rahn said Wednesday investigators are still following up on leads in the case.

“We’re looking up to things and trying to wrap things up as quickly as possible,” he said. “These things take time.”

This reminds me of the early morning break in and murder of Amanda Blackburn, pregnant wife and Mother. IA - JoEllen Browning, 65, found stabbed to death in home

In this crime, the 911 call was made at 6:59 a.m., by an unknown person (did someone return from a run or had someone been in the shower while JEB was being mrudered). Beautiful neighborhood, but I don't know if there had been previous breakins in their neighborhood .... there had been previous breakins in the AB case.

Just trying to make sense of another totally senseless crime Would love to find out they have a suspect.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ashnic86
Back