GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, found deceased, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
From the second link:

[...]

In Friday’s ruling, Judge Joel Yates says the defense’s first request regarding evidence related to sex trafficking investigations involving James Lowe or others was overly broad and would likely “contain confidential information about a variety of people, and Defendant’s examination of those investigations would be nothing more than a fishing expedition.”

The second request by the defense asked for evidence regarding any pending investigation of James Lowe from the time Mollie Tibbetts went missing to the present. Yates says “a motion for new trial is not an opportunity for the Defendant to investigate third parties unassociated with this case.”

The final request by the defense requested access to any pending investigations involving Gavin Jones because Jones’ alleged confession is “newly discovered evidence.”

Yates said in his ruling that “Further evidence regarding Jones would be a fishing expedition and unnecessary for this procedural mechanism.”

Yates has ordered the hearing on the motion for a new trial and motion in arrest of judgment to take place at 9 a.m. on July 27, in Poweshiek County.

The condition of MT's, body, with leathering of the skin, and liquifacation of the organs, was consistent with a body that had been in a corn field for a month, not several days. This meaning that the part of the new narrative of the crime, involving MT being held in the Trap House for a month, before being killed, is not possible, based on the advanced decomposition of MT's body. Also, MT had on the same clothes as the day she went missing, including her shoes. Not likely, if she were in captivity. Women in Lockdown for sex slavery are not allowed clothes, especially shoes. It is part of the conditioning to keep them naked, and it makes it harder for them to run away. MT was most likely killed by CBR on the same day as her abduction, the same day he left her body in the corn field, anything else is pulp fiction.

Unfortunately, I'm in the EU - and these 2 articles aren't allowed here... :rolleyes:

If someone could give a 10% synopsis on both - would be nice! :) Especially the 2nd one where the Judge has denied defense's request. TIA!
animated-smileys-waving-002.gif.pagespeed.ce.NgmNDJ18zj.gif

edited to add - okay just saw PommyMommy's post on the 2nd article -

how about the first one?! :)

The condition of MT's, body, with leathering of the skin, and liquifacation of the organs, was consistent with a body that had been in a corn field for a month, not several days. This meaning that the part of the new narrative of the crime, involving MT being held in the Trap House for a month, before being killed, is not possible, based on the advanced decomposition of MT's body. Also, MT had on the same clothes as the day she went missing, including her shoes. Not likely, if she were in captivity. Women in Lockdown for sex slavery are not allowed clothes, especially shoes. It is part of the conditioning to keep them naked, and it makes it harder for them to run away. MT was most likely killed by CBR on the same day as her abduction, the same day he left her body in the corn field, anything else is pulp fiction.
Do you have a source for that month part? Either I completely missed that or my memory gave out on me.

Wasn't it stated that 10 people were missing in such a small area or did I miss hear?
It sounds like a lot but, unfortunately, there are a lot of people who go missing everywhere. Most of them just do not rise to a high enough profile to garner media attention or they are runaways who rarely get any media attention. It's very sad.

That said, I don't think any of the missing in Iowa have anything to do with this case.

Iowa duo named as suspects deny involvement in Mollie Tibbetts' death

July 16, 2021

Two childhood friends named by defense lawyers as alternate suspects in the killing of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts said Friday they had nothing to do with the crime.

Lawyers for Cristhian Bahena Rivera, the man convicted of killing Tibbetts, named Gavin Jones and Dalton Hansen as perhaps responsible for Tibbetts' 2018 stabbing death in court filings this week.

[..]

Reached by phone separately Friday by The Associated Press, Jones and Hansen said they had no involvement in Tibbetts' disappearance from her hometown of Brooklyn, about 50 miles west of Iowa City, or her violent death. They said they hadn't spoken with investigators but were eager to do so in order to clear their names.

"The cops haven't talked to me. No one has talked to me. You are the first person that has called me," said Jones, of Oskaloosa. "I wasn't involved in anything. I have alibis and everything. I am just waiting for someone to come talk to me."

He ended the interview without answering whether he had made prior statements about Tibbetts' death.

@Niner

Sex traffickers prefer low profile victims, easy to find. Kidnapping an attractive young woman, who has a strong family base, that will lead to a high profile search just isn't worth it, when there are plenty of other victims, that won't lead to a search and publicity.

Every time I think I’ve seen crazy in a case, another case comes along and says hold my beer.

If I’m ever fighting for my life as an innocent person in a murder case, I can’t imagine any scenario where I would know where the body would be, not mention it until facing arrest, wait until trial to mention masked men accosting me in my living room and making me drive the crime car, and await sentencing to mention the real murderer’s confession.

Who wrote this script?

JUL 16, 2021
Fact check: Looking into Rivera's attorney's claims about missing children in Poweshiek County (kcci.com)
[...]

"There's something rotten in this community," Chad Frese, Rivera's attorney said. "We want to know why there's 10 missing kids in this area of the state that's getting glossed over that we think may have something to do with the disappearance of Mollie Tibbetts."

[...]

KCCI combed through pages and pages of the DCI's online database -- The Missing Person Information Clearinghouse -- and only found one currently active missing person case out of Poweshiek County, which is Xavior Harrelson's case.

So what about the other nine cases Rivera's attorney is referring to?

We reached out to the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation -- they said they don't know where that number came from.

[...]

Do you have a source for that month part? Either I completely missed that or my memory gave out on me.

Disappeared July 18, 2018 (aged 20) Brooklyn, Iowa, U.S.

Body discovered August 21, 2018 Poweshiek County, Iowa, (A little over a month, 33 days)

I read (somewhere, can't cite the source) that the jailhouse "confession" said MT was kept for a month in the Trick House, before being killed, as she was too hot to handle. Now, I am reading varying, shorter times of a week or so. The question to ask, is how long would that take? One, two, three weeks? Each week becoming more and more inconsistent with the state of the body when found. And, why was she in the same clothes and shoes, with her panties and shorts pulled off? If she had been in lock down, for any length of time, rape would have been old business, long before her body was dumped. Also, you don't need to take some stranger at gun point, to dump a body in a corn field in Iowa. That is what pick-up trucks are made for!

Last edited:
Disappeared July 18, 2018 (aged 20) Brooklyn, Iowa, U.S.

Body discovered August 21, 2018 Poweshiek County, Iowa, (A little over a month, 33 days)

I read (somewhere, can't cite the source) that the jailhouse "confession" said MT was kept for a month in the Trick House, before being killed, as she was too hot to handle. Now, I am reading varying, shorter times of a week or so. The question to ask, is how long would that take? One, two, three weeks? Each week becoming more and more inconsistent with the state of the body when found. And, why was she in the same clothes and shoes, with her panties and shorts pulled off? If she had been in lock down, for any length of time, rape would have been old business, long before her body was dumped. Also, you don't need to take some stranger at gun point, to dump a body in a corn field in Iowa. That is what pick-up trucks are made for!
I never saw any timeframe stated. I assume she would have been kept for a very short period of time because the search began so quickly. You assume she was brought to the trap house looking good; that may not have been the case. Maybe she was in such bad shape that JL just wanted her gone.

I don't believe all of the three stories we have heard but I do believe parts of all three. In the end, IMO, it won't make any difference for CR because he talked and the State got a conviction and he'll pay for this crime no matter how it happened.

I followed Mollie's case from the beginning, but not the trial so much. I may be in the minority here, but I do believe that it's possible that Mollie's murder is connected to the trap house and to Xavior. CBR may or may not be the actual murderer, but he is involved. Maybe CBR kidnapped Mollie and delivered her to the trap house, and maybe this Lowe person did decide to kill or have her killed (because of the high profile) and basically had his goons involve CBR in getting rid of her, since he was the one who kidnapped her in the first place. That could explain CBR's weird testimony. Lowe may have had Xavior disappeared to get back at the Mom for whatever reason. I don't believe in coincidences. This is a plethora or criminal activity! A whole lot of people need to be behind bars. JMO MOO

Prayers for Mollie's family and friends...

There was evidence presented at the trial that would make that theory very unlikely, perhaps impossible. The story told by the jail informants does not match up with the evidence we saw at trial. For example, CBR led police to the body in the cornfield. And we saw evidence that CBR kidnapped her. They also tracked his phone/GPS. There is NO EVIDENCE that he went to a trap house and gave her to someone else in between the kidnapping and the cornfield.

Also, what you described does not fit with what the informants said. They said they had Mollie tied up BEFORE they looked for a Hispanic male to frame for her murder. We KNOW it didnt happen that way. So that doesn't fit with your theory above and it doesn't fit with the evidence we saw at the trial. JMO

Last edited:
The Prosecutors stance on the investigation files is an odd one, if there is 'nothing' in them, just hand them over, playing 'hardball' over 'nothing' is futile. I understand their isn't an obligation for the Prosecutor to hand them over (needs a Judge's Order), but if they want CBR sentenced swiftly, then it makes sense to hand them over.
Well, I think it is more complicated than that. Handing over your entire investigative file opens a Pandora's box to the defense team. It would be an endless stream of 'new leads' and excuses and explanations for the defense to use to try to exonerate this killer. JMO

I never saw any timeframe stated. I assume she would have been kept for a very short period of time because the search began so quickly. You assume she was brought to the trap house looking good; that may not have been the case. Maybe she was in such bad shape that JL just wanted her gone.

I don't believe all of the three stories we have heard but I do believe parts of all three. In the end, IMO, it won't make any difference for CR because he talked and the State got a conviction and he'll pay for this crime no matter how it happened.
She was NEVER held in a trap house. We know that because there was video evidence at trial, showing her on her regular routine jog that day. She was seen by others before that jog, and we see her running, as the kidnapper begins stalking her with his vehicle.

After he throws her in his trunk, he goes to the remote cornfield to dump her body. We have GPS evidence of that---THERE IS NO TIME FOR A TRAP HOUSE VISIT.

I didn't follow Mollie's threads here thru the course of the trial so I'm wondering if someone that did could clear something up for me. I think I've seen comments in recent posts that indicate LE had found a GPS track from one of Mollie's devices that day as she was out for her run. First, is that correct? And second, if so, did that track follow the expected path down the road where CBR had stated that he approached her, and then continue to the location in the cornfield where he led authorities to her body? And was it an uninterrupted course which did not include a layover at a trap house? ...if so, I would think that would kill this whole line of BS the defense is trying to scrape together.

I followed the trial closely and I do remember something like that. But I am going to go back to the trial threads to see if I can find it. I just found the pages where the trial begins---

Found Deceased - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

And I found something interesting to start with. There is a link to the Arrest Warrant,

DocumentCloud

and it says, when referring to how Rivera led them to the body:

The defendant was able to use his phone to determine the route he traveled from Brooklyn. He then later guided them from memory.

So they did have some kind of GPS available from his phone.

She was NEVER held in a trap house. We know that because there was video evidence at trial, showing her on her regular routine jog that day. She was seen by others before that jog, and we see her running, as the kidnapper begins stalking her with his vehicle.

After he throws her in his trunk, he goes to the remote cornfield to dump her body. We have GPS evidence of that---THERE IS NO TIME FOR A TRAP HOUSE VISIT.
Don't get all up in the air; he was kicking his thoughts around and I was offering mine.

Once again I'll plead: either I didn't read it or I completely forgot it but I wasn't aware that we had the exact path he took and the exact time he got to the corn field. Did his GPS show where he went afterward?

Klaver lays out timeline of disappearance of #MollieTibbetts, including her run and failing to show up the work the next day and the five-week search for her.
@KCCINews
8:59 AM · May 19, 2021·Twitter Web App

This^^^ reminded me that the search for Mollie didnt begin until the day after she was kidnapped. It wasn't until she missed work that they knew something was wrong.

So that disproves the two inmates version of events.They say they didn't decide to kill her until the search began getting too close. But she was dead and dumped in the cornfield before the search even began.

Don't get all up in the air; he was kicking his thoughts around and I was offering mine.

Once again I'll plead: either I didn't read it or I completely forgot it but I wasn't aware that we had the exact path he took and the exact time he got to the corn field. Did his GPS show where he went afterward?
I think we had a lot of evidence, but I am going through it from the trial thread now. But I am 99% sure that the phone evidence showed that the drive to the remote cornfield was pretty soon after the abduction---and then he hightailed it back to home for his alibi. But I will drop links to any of this as I go through the old trial notes.

Found Deceased - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

Here^^^ is the very start of the trial testimony

Deputy Simpson received missing person call on July 19th, called to Blake Jack's home.
11:40 AM · May 19, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Report at 5:56 pm, Deputy Simpson says.
11:41 AM · May 19, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"I believe I talked to her mom, Laura Caulderwood, had communication with her the previous night about 5:30 about having supper. Believe that was the 18th."
11:42 AM · May 19, 2021·Twitter Web App

SO THEY DIDN'T EVEN REPORT HER MISSING UNTIL 24 HOURS LATER---so the inmates story makes no sense with this evidence we know of

they claimed that they didn't decide to kill her until the search came too close to the trap house.That does not fit with the evidence of CBR dumping her the first day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth
Back