Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #13

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a polygraph once. We had a thief in our corporation. I was in a position of handling lots of money so I volunteered. I thought it would be interesting. One of the questions they asked me was 'did you ever take anything over $25. I guess that one eliminated the paper clips, pencils and maybe an envelope somebody might feel guilty about. It was short and sweet. If I was being looked at as a killer I think I would say nothing and lawyer up. I watch a lot of shows where they get you on what you say more than what they know!

Does Brooklyn, IA not have a city police department?

A quick google search makes it appear as though it is patrolled by the county Sheriffs department so I'm assuming they do not. I know this isn't uncommon in the rural Midwest where small towns can't afford their own PD so they either contract with the county or join up with other small towns to form a PD.

The city website links to the Sheriff's Department. So I would guess that they contract with the county.

LE should be doing exactly what they’re doing - looking for evidence, trying to establish what actually happened, and locating Mollie.

I don’t really “think” anything, I’m just like a lot of us here trying to look at the evidence and interpret what it tells us. Strip away the speculation and all that’s left is a scenario where Mollie put the dogs away and left.
Except, we aren't privy to all of the evidence that officials may or may not have. JMO

I would love for you to elaborate on this.

I wonder if she told the people she worked with about having to dog sit? Some of the people she worked with were surely connected to other people in her town and the surrounding towns.
As for the Fitbit, if the perpetrator is older, there's a very good chance they thought it was nothing but a bracelet and she is still with it. One of the reasons I've been wanting the same Fitbit, is because they're more delicate looking.

From looking at the call log, it seems like most of the towns go through the county. It also looks like Grinnell has its own police department, but there is a university there so that makes sense.

Edited to include that this is a response to @mnnative

Regarding the electric co-op next to the house where Mollie was staying, I read somewhere that they do have CC security cameras but that they were inoperable for some unknown reason on the night/morning of her disappearance. Can't attest to this as fact.

I believe that an employee of the co-op lives nearby as well, not sure if he was the one who gave the info about the cameras or not.

Regarding the cameras at the electric co-op. My husband has to frequently visit electric co-ops like this in rural towns for work. I was talking about how the camera wasn’t working (unverified information at this point I think) and he said that was really weird for an electric co-op. All the co-ops he visits frequently talk and brag about their level of security and the cameras they have. Based on this it makes me wonder if someone broke it that day/night before Mollie went missing, someone who knows how good those cameras usually are. It would be interesting to know how long that camera has not been working.

Regarding the cameras at the electric co-op. My husband has to frequently visit electric co-ops like this in rural towns for work. I was talking about how the camera wasn’t working (unverified information at this point I think) and he said that was really weird for an electric co-op. All the co-ops he visits frequently talk and brag about their level of security and the cameras they have. Based on this it makes me wonder if someone broke it that day/night before Mollie went missing, someone who knows how good those cameras usually are. It would be interesting to know how long that camera has not been working.

Yes, I can't stop thinking about how weird that is. I hope that is really looked in to.

MSM doesn’t have a choice here. There’s a public demand for news/stories about MT but LE is keeping everything so tight lipped they don’t have anything else to go report. So they write stories with misleading headlines like “CONVICTED STALKER INTERVIEWED BY POLICE IN TIBBETS CASE”.

Even though there is currently no concrete connection between WE and the disappearance, articles are written that way to infer that and thus induce general public who doesn’t follow the case or know better to click thinking they will be reading a juicy scoop that breaks the case open.

I disagree with the idea that 'MSM doesn't have a choice here' and so has to report because there is a public demand for information. MSM always has a choice about what it reports and how it reports. Based on the reporting so far it seems like the bar for quality is low and sinking fast IMO!

Sadly media oftentimes seems to take the easy way or cheap way out to create a story and generate traffic on their websites and this guy truly made it so easy to go this route as he is virtually a made for TV character.

The 'JC Show' for lack of a better description seems like a side show or distraction to me. The reason I think this is that so little in this case has played out in the public eye for us to see. All the sudden a person with a well documented past is found and visited 3x by LE (assuming he was visited today like they said they would be doing) and has a mike put in his face by local TV after having answered the door following what most likely was a long nap in his doublewide? Too convenient perhaps?

I do agree with the prior comment here that perhaps JC knows about some of the local shenanigans and they are trying to sweat him for details. He and his family seem like they have been around a long time and just might know some of the local secrets. But, stranger things than this have happened in this case so maybe he has a key to unlock this case but I am not convinced of that as yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
By "Efforts," do you mean physical searches? I think someone asked this earlier and I've been wondering that as well.

From the news reports and a few people I know in the area, LE/FBI is still in Brooklyn. Searches have been going on daily. I really feel if it were human trafficking they still wouldn't be concentrating there. The main town portion is only a couple streets of businesses, there are a few larger businesses on the outskirts, and everything else is residential and farm land. The "back roads" cut through to other towns without having to get back on the interstate.

Off the interstate exit, there is a convenience store and gas station - this is a few miles from before entering town.

I have a question... We've all seen that WC had his home searched, along with the assertion that it was voluntary and without a warrant... But, I've also read that he no longer owns the property, that he sold out years ago... So, the property that was searched, is it his, or did the actual owner of the property grant LE the okay to search it without a warrant..?

I think that this would depend on his legal rights to be there. I've rented a fair number of apartments and condos and in every lease I ever signed it states that the landlord can't enter the property without usually 24 hours notice. Even though someone doesn't own a property doesn't mean they don't have privacy rights... but as a disclaimer I am not a lawyer and I don't even watch much TV

I have been following along and reading these posts for awhile now. All of this talk about search warrants has me wondering about something. So we have been told that WC gave permission for a search without a warrant. Would anything they find without a search warrant be allowed in a trial? I read an article stating that
FBI served a search warrant to go in the house Mollie was staying when she disappeared. I'm not bringing this up to go down the rabbit hole of suspicion against those who live in the home. I'm wondering if those with more knowledge about search warrants can explain if they would need one if the owners gave consent in the event that a crime occurred in the home for trial purposes? Basically, was having to serve a search warrant to search the home a way to cover their bases in the event they find something of evidentiary value?
Boyfriend of missing Iowa woman vows to 'never stop' searching

A search warrant will have time, place, and object restrictions. Some warrants are more broadly or narrowly written than others. Since all states have judges on call 24/7 to sign a warrant, no reason for anybody to agree to a consensual search. Also, It's the only way for you to know what's going on in an investigation that involves your property so wait for the warrant. If you think you're being a good guy to cooperate and give access without warrant, you'll change your mind when suddenly you find yourself left in the dark with NO information on the investigation which may involve your loved one (i.e., Mollie), etc. Absolutely agree why DJ home searched under warrant. As for evidence obtained without warrant, it will not be admitted if the the search is deemed "illegal."

It is so frustrating to read all the posts on which people wonder why WC is being interviewed so many times and why it is the case since he lives in a town other than Brooklyn and not being able to write anything about this as this could be considered a breach of TOS.

Please dear fellow posters read in other forums, FB groups etc not just focus on one site. It was reported 3 days ago -with evidence- what the connection is: just an acquaintance in common.
Search in other pages and you can read all the details. My own opinion nothing to do with this case and mere coincidence.

I have read as much of these 13 threads as I possibly could before chiming in with thoughts. Like several of you, I believe WC is not guilty of anything in the disappearance of Mollie, except guilty of having a rap sheet that surely raised the eyebrows of any good LEO. I also believe the perp is someone her age, and someone well-known to her. I do not believe this was just a random crime of opportunity, and sadly, I do not see a happy ending to this. All JMO, based on gut feelings.

I agree with this and others who have said maybe he has a connection that they want to find out more about. There are connections out there that- if we can find-LE definitely has found (and not just with WC, by the way). Has anyone thought that maybe HE was the one who initiated the discussions and called the tip line? And then, unfortunately, media dug up his past and ran with it? Would explain his behavior—includIng allowing the search and giving the interview then abruptly stopping it. And yes-he may not be able to divulge what LE asked him without jeopardizing the reward, thus the “don’t remember” comments. Just trying to look at him a little differently. There are other folks who have been casually mentioned who I’m more worried about.

Mollie Tibbets: FBI to question hog farmer for third time in connection with missing college student

The first round of questioning for hog farmer WC, 56, of Deep River, occurred on July 26, days before authorities searched an area close to a hog farm between Guernsey and Deep River on Thursday.

On August 3, an FBI agent showed up on the doorstep WC’s Deep River home again. The agent stayed around 10 minutes before leaving, but it’s still unclear what was discussed.

WC indicated that the FBI agent said he would return on Sunday to question him further.

If someone is on probation/parole, conditions of probation or parole can include agreeing to warrantless searches. So LE may not need a warrant to search a probationer's property or person. Keep that in mind everyone.

In this case it seem clear that LE has been drawn to a square mile radius area that includes where WC lives. But I don't think that is necessarily because he lives there. They've searched numerous properties that overlap that area and have been searching "non-stop" according to another farmer, including waterways, etc.

Of course LE will question everyone with a criminal record that lives near where Mollie went missing. They may even have reasons to concentrate for awhile on a specific person but ultimately determine that he or she is not a suspect as happened in Abby and Libby's case.

And that doesn't mean they don't have an unrelated suspect in mind or that they're narrowly focusing on one person to the exclusion of others.

This early in a case they're likely still looking at all angles at the same time, no matter what evidence they have.

That being said, one thing that caused me pause was WC saying he "didn't notice" extensive searching going on across the road from him.

I don't believe that for a moment and the statement was strangely evasive and defensive IMO.

But I have no feelings about what happened at this point - whether stranger, neighbor, someone she knew, etc.

I think telling him that they will be back on Sunday is to see if he will panic and try to get rid of evidence by Sunday.

Unless they suspect WC knows who the actual perp is and LE is trying to put so much pressure on him that he cracks and leads them to the people/person that he's protecting. Consider his phone is probably now bugged with GPS and listening devices since it was in FBI possession all night. I would guess he's under surveillance of other types as well. He may not be who they're after, but he might associate with them.

Reward for bringing back Mollie Tibbetts now at $260,000

Snipped and BBM from above article for focus:

Posted: Aug 05, 2018 08:17 AM CDT
Updated: Aug 05, 2018 08:17 AM CDT

BROOKLYN - The reward to bring back Mollie Tibbetts safely has climbed up to $260,000 in less than a week.

IMO, one of the reasons the reward $$$ won't make a difference in MT's case is that she cannot be returned safely and the reward stipulates this as a condition. Sadly, I think foul play is the likeliest scenario given what we know, so they could offer a reward 10 x this amount and it wouldn't help generate tips leading to her safe return...because I don't think that's possible. Again, JMO. :(

Wednesday night (July 18th) was the second night that Mollie was alone in the house.

Her boyfriend stated he left for work on Tuesday, July 17th.

This could have been noticeable to either someone who was already watching Mollie or someone who happened to notice over the time period .

Others in the community could also have noticed or known that she was away. Her social media may have also indicated this in some way.

It is important to note that there were no vehicles in that driveway - even the usual work trucks during that time period.

The perp could have realized that Mollie was home all by herself or have thought that there was no-one at all there. Depends, of course, what the perp's motivation was.

Excerpt from news article (below):

"Jack told ABC News Monday that he last saw his girlfriend on July 16. The next day, he went to Dubuque for his job at a construction company."

Brother of missing jogger believes she is 'fighting her best to get back home'

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members