Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly don’t know how to answer any of your questions really. I could be wrong, stats could be wrong. I totally get your points, but think they are a bit nit picky to a degree. I believe FBI should be on the case, not sure if I believe that the number of them that are, should in fact be on the case. I never said I know anything for a fact, I have just followed enough of this stuff for a long enough time to realize that the amount of resources being used is unusual and I believe that if resources had to be pulled back that that would be reasonable to expect. You are far more technical than I, and I don’t have the energy to go head to head with you, nor do I disagree with anything you have said. But I am going to leave this part of our conversation at that. I hope you are able to get the gist of what I am trying to say.

Thank you so much for helping me get a better understanding.

I am going to call it a night all. I hope and pray Mollie is found before the sun comes up!
Tomorrow will make it 3 weeks - 21 days!

Did anyone else think it was odd that her Missing Person poster includes a pic of her with her mom and brothers? It struck me as odd when I first saw it, but after dad’s interview, it really made me think. I understand using the pic with her boyfriend because it’s a good close-up, natural shot of her and helps give a clear image of her. But why use a pic taken from a distance with 3 other people? It doesn’t show her very well. Someone else brought up the fact that the brothers are always wearing HS football shirts. One of the brothers is wearing one in that pic as well. Made me wonder if they really are sending some message to someone associated with their HS football team.

Another thought I had is that they might no suspect the pig farmer, but they could be questioning him because he’s associated with the POI. Maybe someone who works on his farm or a friend/relative. Perhaps he knows something that’s suspicious about the person but doesn’t want to tell LE. That would explain why he is ok with searches but not polygraph.

I’m also wondering if they have been looking at people she met in college who are from Utah, since Utah was told to be on the lookout for her.

I have watched the video of WC many times. I wanted to see if his arms might of been cut from being in the corn fields. By now I am sure they would of healed. Many people detassel corn in Iowa & they wear long sleeve shirts to not cut there arms up.

Also there is no mention of any prior boyfriends she may of had. Just a thought.......

Did anyone else think it was odd that her Missing Person poster includes a pic of her with her mom and brothers? It struck me as odd when I first saw it, but after dad’s interview, it really made me think. I understand using the pic with her boyfriend because it’s a good close-up, natural shot of her and helps give a clear image of her. But why use a pic taken from a distance with 3 other people? It doesn’t show her very well. Someone else brought up the fact that the brothers are always wearing HS football shirts. One of the brothers is wearing one in that pic as well. Made me wonder if they really are sending some message to someone associated with their HS football team.

Another thought I had is that they might no suspect the pig farmer, but they could be questioning him because he’s associated with the POI. Maybe someone who works on his farm or a friend/relative. Perhaps he knows something that’s suspicious about the person but doesn’t want to tell LE. That would explain why he is ok with searches but not polygraph.

I’m also wondering if they have been looking at people she met in college who are from Utah, since Utah was told to be on the lookout for her.
I think those photos were chosen for two reasons. One, that that show what Mollie looks like. Two, because they show that she is loved and missed by her family and boyfriend. I don’t think there’s any other message trying to be sent here, as that poster was released early on in the disappearance.

I have watched the video of WC many times. I wanted to see if his arms might of been cut from being in the corn fields. By now I am sure they would of healed. Many people detassel corn in Iowa & they wear long sleeve shirts to not cut there arms up.

Also there is no mention of any prior boyfriends she may of had. Just a thought.......
Yeah. WC’s wounds would have healed by then (if he was involved and if he had them). I’m sure LE is looking into all prior relationships, they wouldn’t be doing their jobs if they didn’t.

Magical thinking. I pray to God to never be in that position. And pray for Mollie's family.

There is another case here at Websleuths where the person has been missing for over five years and a man has been convicted of the person’s murder but the person’s family still believe they are alive and hopefully coming home. I don’t want to name the case out of great respect for the victim and their family but I can understand families not wanting to believe their loved one is dead.

Many of the MH370 families believe their loved ones are being held hostage somewhere and are coming home.

I have great respect for Mollie’s family too I just hope she is found no matter what and if a crime has been committed against her that the person is convicted.

There is another case here at Websleuths where the person has been missing for over five years and a man has been convicted of the person’s murder but the person’s family still believe they are alive and hopefully coming home. I don’t want to name the case out of great respect for the victim and their family but I can understand families not wanting to believe their loved one is dead.

Many of the MH370 families believe their loved ones are being held hostage somewhere and are coming home.

I have great respect for Mollie’s family too I just hope she is found no matter what and if a crime has been committed against her that the person is convicted.
Good point. We have the benefit of emotional distance and thus a measure of objectivity. Grieving families have no such luxury.

Hi this is a wonderful forum and very respectful. This is my first time posting. I just wanted to follow up with a post earlier in this thread where a poster said that MT's parents are working under the assumption that she is alive because the alternative is just so horrible. I tend to agree with you. Also someone commented that the police would have to approve of what is being said. That really is not so. Of course if they had a suspect in mind they would surely not allow them to speak of that person if the family was even TOLD there are people of interest. More then likely they would not tell the parents if there were unless they had a physical evidence to believe they had a very strong suspect and were basically just looking to recover her body.

I believe both of her parents are in denial, especially her father and I can totally understand that. If it were my child I would probably be in the same place until there was proof otherwise or a significant amount of time had passed. Certainly much longer then 3 weeks. But most people understand and LE say all the time the first hours a person is missing are the most crucial ones because in cases of abduction the victim is usually killed within the first 12 -24 hours from the time of abduction. If it's a child it's sooner.

One thing that stuck out of this new article on Daily Mail Reward for missing Mollie Tibbetts hits $260,000 | Daily Mail Online

'It's totally speculation on my part, but I think Mollie is with someone that she knows, that is in over their head,' Rob Tibbetts said.

'My two cents is that no one went into that house to hurt her,' he added.

If he did not misspeak it appears perhaps not LE but HE believes that she willingly left the house with someone she knew. Now again, I don't know if that is something LE believes and has told him or he just believes it because he can't or won't believe she was abducted while out jogging or enroute to her mom's house because that had a more sinister possibility (stranger abduction) rather then a "friend". So the burning question... is this what LE believe or just dad's is own theory derived from MT's computer being signed on to her online course. For a desperate parent that is a morsel one might cling to. Honestly if I were in his shoes I would want to believe she was at home doing homework until late in the evening too.

The chance of that is highly unlikely due to her not making any arrangements earlier on with her brother in regards to the car. She would have had to pick the car up as it appears she usually did the night before or in the very least contact her brother and tell him she would be there in the am so he wouldn't take off with the car for the day if she in fact needed it. She would definitely have touched base with him about the car either way.

No one to our knowledge has come forward to say they had planned to give her a ride in the AM because that would have been another important timeline factor and would have been released in the early stages I think. Her not there in the morning before work could only mean she was already taken between the time after her last sighting on her jog and whatever time her "ride" showed up. It firms up a timeline. It would have been released.

Finally, WC, an oddball for sure but I do not necessarily find him anything other then a convenient suspect. He did allow free access to his property and especially allowing them to take his cell phone so he was very cooperative. Him refusing to take the poly means nothing as far as I'm concerned. I would never take one in a million years. I am a nervous person and I would probably fail one myself and I've never committed any crime ever. No lawyer would ever advise a client to take it and I do not believe if someone denies it you can assume they have something to hide. It is plain common sense not to because it can not help you if the police already have you in their crosshairs whether you did something or not.

Last edited:
Susan Constantine, a psychologist body language expert and the author of “The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Reading Body Language,” spoke with Nancy Grace on Sunday, and described how she thought 56-year-old Wayne Cheney, who lives around 15 miles from the area Mollie disappeared from, seemed to only be concerned for himself while he spoke to local Iowa station, WHO13.

“If you listen to him when he’s talking, he’s talking about how it’s affecting himself,” Constantine said. “He’s not at all concerned about what happened to the victim.”

Constantine also touched on Cheney’s body language during the interview, which to her, seemed to be movements of deception.

“He has this increased anxiety, which is causing all these physiological responses of itching the ears to adjusting his glasses, to stroking his hair, to, you know, crossing his arms and uncrossing them. So what happens is that, when you’re under anxiety, it increases blood flow and causes irritation to his capillaries. Those are all deceptive indicators.

Mollie Tibbetts Mystery: Body language expert analyzes hog farmer’s interview, says he’s nervous and shows deception

Hope it’s ok to post this here and I apologise if it has already been posted. I have the same concerns the body language has. But law enforcement has not charged WC with anything or indicated he is connected with Mollie’s disappearance so he should be presumed innocent.

I'm getting caught up and have now read today's remarks by her father. He may be creating the appearance of being understanding and offering an out because he wouldn't want to compromise her release in the unlikely event that she's alive, but I think he honestly knows her life was taken and his remarks are more about motivating the person to reveal where she can be found. That's what I read between the lines and in his remarks about 'she's somewhere/we can go get her'.

Hi this is a wonderful forum and very respectful. This is my first time posting. I just wanted to follow up with a post earlier in this thread where a poster said that MT's parents are working under the assumption that she is alive because the alternative is just so horrible. I tend to agree with you. Also someone commented that the police would have to approve of what is being said. That really is not so. Of course if they had a suspect in mind they would surely not allow them to speak of that person if the family was even TOLD there are people of interest. More then likely they would not tell the parents if there were unless they had a physical evidence to believe they had a very strong suspect and were basically just looking to recover her body.

I believe both of her parents are in denial, especially her father and I can totally understand that. If it were my child I would probably be in the same place until there was proof otherwise or a significant amount of time had passed. Certainly much longer then 3 weeks. But most people understand and LE say all the time the first hours a person is missing are the most crucial ones because in cases of abduction the victim is usually killed within the first 12 -24 hours from the time of abduction. If it's a child it's sooner.

One thing that stuck out of this new article on Daily Mail Reward for missing Mollie Tibbetts hits $260,000 | Daily Mail Online

'It's totally speculation on my part, but I think Mollie is with someone that she knows, that is in over their head,' Rob Tibbetts said.

If he did not misspeak it appears perhaps not LE but HE believes that she was abducted from the house. Now again, I don't know if that is something LE believes and has told him or he just believes it because he can't or won't believe she was abducted while out jogging or enroute to her mom's house. So the burning question is simply Is this was the police believe or is this his own theory possibly derived from MT's computer being signed on to her online course. Honestly if I were in his shoes and it was my daughter, I would want to believe she was at home doing homework until late in the evening too. The chance of that is highly unlikely due to her not making any arrangements earlier on with her brother in regards to the car. She would have had to pick the car up as it appears she usually did the night before or in the very least contact her brother and tell him she would be there in the am so he wouldn't wonder in the morning when he woke to see the car there. If she needed it she would have let him know in advance so he didn't take off with it for the day.

No one to our knowledge has come forward to say they had planned to give her a ride in the AM because that would have been another important timeline factor and would have been released in the early stages I think. Her gone by morning before work could only mean she was already taken or left after her last sighting on her jog and whatever time her "ride" showed up. It firms up a timeline.

Finally, WC, an oddball for sure but I do not necessarily find him anything other then a convenient suspect. He did allow free access to his property and especially allowing them to take his cell phone so he was very cooperative. Him refusing to take the poly means nothing as far as I'm concerned. I would never take one in a million years. I am a nervous person and I would probably fail one myself and I've never committed any crime ever. No lawyer would ever advise a client to take it and I do not believe if someone denies it they have something to hide. It is plain common sense not to because it can not help you if the police already have you in their crosshairs whether you did something or not.
I agree with everything you said here. To add, the father called his theory “total speculation on my part.” It’s a guess on our part if LE told him anything that supports this sentiment, but if we take his words at face value, it’s his theory, and his theory alone.

If he did not misspeak it appears perhaps not LE but HE believes that she was abducted from the house. Now again, I don't know if that is something LE believes and has told him or he just believes it because he can't or won't believe she was abducted while out jogging or enroute to her mom's house. So the burning question is simply Is this was the police believe or is this his own theory possibly derived from MT's computer being signed on to her online course. Honestly if I were in his shoes and it was my daughter, I would want to believe she was at home doing homework until late in the evening too. The chance of that is highly unlikely due to her not making any arrangements earlier on with her brother in regards to the car. She would have had to pick the car up as it appears she usually did the night before or in the very least contact her brother and tell him she would be there in the am so he wouldn't wonder in the morning when he woke to see the car there. If she needed it she would have let him know in advance so he didn't take off with it for the day.

No one to our knowledge has come forward to say they had planned to give her a ride in the AM because that would have been another important timeline factor and would have been released in the early stages I think. Her gone by morning before work could only mean she was already taken or left after her last sighting on her jog and whatever time her "ride" showed up. It firms up a timeline.

Finally, WC, an oddball for sure but I do not necessarily find him anything other then a convenient suspect. He did allow free access to his property and especially allowing them to take his cell phone so he was very cooperative. Him refusing to take the poly means nothing as far as I'm concerned. I would never take one in a million years. I am a nervous person and I would probably fail one myself and I've never committed any crime ever. No lawyer would ever advise a client to take it and I do not believe if someone denies it they have something to hide. It is plain common sense not to because it can not help you if the police already have you in their crosshairs whether you did something or not.

Welcome to Websleuths RavenCC2020 thank you for joining us and for caring about Mollie.

Many years ago, when LE was getting ready for the murder trial for Carrie Culbertson (body never found) I remember reading that one of the prosecution stumbling blocks was that they had to convince her mother to admit on the stand that her daughter was dead, she had been missing for years, her assailant was known to all (Bf or on-off Bf) but mom could not say it. I guess she finally did, he was convicted though uncertain if he ended up with new trial etc...it was a mess. Anyway...I am sure my point is clear.

P.S his conviction stands

I don’t think L.e was involved in either Mom or Dad’s interviews with media, were they?

I agree with everything you said here. To add, the father called his theory “total speculation on my part.” It’s a guess on our part if LE told him anything that supports this sentiment, but if we take his words at face value, it’s his theory, and his theory alone.
I did notice that his statement was gender neutral -- talking about "someone" and using the pronoun "they" rather than "he". I found that interesting since my mind automatically goes to a male perpetrator.

If LE has all the data from the cell towers, which shows the approximate last location and time MT's phone or fit bit were online, probably near the pig farm, wouldn't they also know who else's phone was in the same place at the same time? So if the perp had their own phone and it was turned on, LE might know exactly who they are, but just don't know where they are.

I did notice that his statement was gender neutral -- talking about "someone" and using the pronoun "they" rather than "he". I found that interesting since my mind automatically goes to a male perpetrator.
Just playing the odds, it’s highly unlikely that the perpetrator isn’t a male here. Whether the father is intentionally leaving the door open for the perpetrator to be a female, whether he believes it to be a female, or that’s just the way he speaks, we can only guess. Good catch on your part though, as you can sometimes learn a lot from word choice. I missed that myself.

If LE has all the data from the cell towers, which shows the approximate last location and time MT's phone or fit bit were online, probably near the pig farm, wouldn't they also know who else's phone was in the same place at the same time? So if the perp had their own phone and it was turned on, LE might know exactly who they are, but just don't know where they are.
It’s been done before. One way is to subpeona Google to obtain user data of Google apps used in a particular geographical area at a particular time. This allows LE to look at all phones that have location data turned on, who were in the area. Almost everyone has location data turned on for one app or another, and there’s a high likelihood that it will be a Google one. This allows LE to look at phones from all providers, and in turn, simplifies the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova