Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Differences between stalking and aggravated stalking?

From the above article:

Secondly, aggravated stalking requires the accused to have “the intent to place that person in reasonable fear of death or bodily injury.” While stalking simply requires essentially repeated unwanted contact, it does not require the intent and fear issues. More often than not, aggravated stalking will involve some sort of written threat to satisfy the intent requirement. In our experience, these threats are often made electronically, which makes it somewhat difficult to defend because electronic records are so carefully maintained these days. We have also seen aggravated stalking charged where the accused makes some sort of violent threat or action toward the victim.

Thanks!

I would think if you were an evil person doing bad things, you would have a burner phone or two. You can get them at walmart, 7-11, etc. I do wonder if even burner phones will ping off of cell towers - I don't understand that technology but I would think the phone still has to register somewhere to make calls and text messages?
Yes, a burner phone would transmit and receive signals the same way as any other cell phone.

I was wondering yesterday if LE had done a cell tower dump to determine who was in the area of Brooklyn that Mollie was that night. I have no idea how many cell towers there are and if that would yield any useful information.

Here are some of his charges:

August 12, 2009, Harassment 1st degree (aggravated), Poweshiek, Iowa

December 28, 2009, Burglary 3rd degree, Class D felony, Poweshiek, Iowa

March 16, 2010, Harassment by personal contact, Poweshiek, Iowa

July 1, 2010, Violation of No Contact Order, Poweshiek Iowa

February 7, 2011, Violation of PO/No contact, Jasper, Iowa

January 3, 2014 Stalking, 1st offense (Aggravated), Marion, Iowa

May 3, 2015 Harassment 3rd degree, Iowa, Iowa

Marion County Sheriff's Report
I really don’t see a point in rehashing this guy’s history. The legal system has dealt with those incidents. I guarantee you he’s not the only man in the area with a history like that, but if LE could tie him or anyone else to Mollie’s disappearance they’d do more than follow up with 10 minute chats. Bottom line: there’s no reason to think this dude did anything to Mollie.

I do think Mollie’s dad had advice as to what to say...but I don’t think LE prompted or directed the statement. What he said is textbook as far as “giving perp an out” etc...you can even google for such info.

Meanwhile, LE is going about their business of whatever they want from WC, plus any searches and interviews they have yet to complete...nothing they have been doing indicates any kind of “rescue” operation in the works, Imo.

Her dad’s scenario is absolutely the only one that allows Mollie to be safe and relatively unharmed, i,e if she knows the person, etc...but nothing really points to this being likely. The way she vanished (jogging attire, no ID, etc) presumes accident or abduction and imo, she would not leave that impression if she just wanted to flee. With LE being so determined not to say a word, no way they sent Dad forward with this theory...jmo

5. I mentioned previously that the southern edge of Brooklyn is approx. 2 miles north of interstate 80.

6. A semi would stick out like a sore thumb in Brooklyn - unless - it's down by the Brooklyn Grain Elevator - as its not a town that's a common thoroughfare!!!

Hope that helps clear things up - and I'm not trying to be a jerk - just stating the obvious!

Yes, you are correct the I-80 exit is a couple of miles from Brooklyn with a truck stop right off the exit. Semi's are NOT uncommon to see in town. There are multiple businesses that have fleets in the town, there is more there than the grain elevator. I won't name business names.

Sorry if this has been discussed but what qualifies as "aggravated" stalking?
It goes in levels, kind of. The lowest is harassment, then stalking, then aggravated stalking, then especially aggravated stalking. Aggravated could mean that it happens after an order of protection, or it could mean that the stalking involved a weapon or threats, or that it was done to a minor, or if someone has previously been convicted of stalking in the past 7 years. In this case, because there were two instances, the second instance would have been "aggravated".

And after I posted my third bullet point, I questioned myself. I do suppose it's true that she could've entered into a companionship/relationship with someone that was completely unbeknownst to anyone else. Who her family portrays her to be and who she is portrayed as on social media doesn't mean she has zero secrets...
Very true. But also if it’s someone she knows and they don’t it doesn’t mean she entered a relationship they don’t know about. She seems to be a very outgoing girl. And she’s beautiful with a big smile. Her BF isn’t around at school. So she meets people at college and is friendly with them. Some guy gets the wrong idea. She thinks they are friends. He thinks she’s into him. She’s nice and doesn’t make it really clear. This isn’t a criticism. It’s typical of woman, especially young women, to try to be kind. So he shows up in Brooklyn to visit her and she says ok we can go for coffee, dinner, whatever. But he realizes she’s counting the hours until she’s engaged to Dalton and freaks. Or maybe he planned it. Either way. Now her dad thinks back to a passing mention she made of a guy from school who liked her and wonders/hopes it’s him and he hasn’t killed her but is just overwhelmed with the situation and doesn’t know how to get out. Of course I think someone like that would be easy to trace but I can see Mollie’s dad clinging to hope that a college kid over his head is less of a threat to murder than a guy who would abduct a woman while jogging.

I’m inclined to write off WC as a weird dude who probably acts “suspicious” every minute of his life, and not just when he’s being interviewed by the FBI.

However, yesterday I started to feel a little weird about him. I mean... the fitbit basically died on his property somewhere, somehow. AND he has a history of stalking. IMO that is a little bit of a creepy coincidence. What are the chances that someone threw her fitbit out and it just so happened to land on the property of someone who has a similar background history as the crime being committed? How possible could it be that the hog farm holds some nasty secrets? How possible could it be that the stalking charges were only the ones actually caught by police or turned in by women, and there could be more unreported stuff going on?

On the other hand, stalking charges can be posted by angry ex girlfriends and nasty divorces, so I’m not accusing WC of anything. However I’m saying there is enough creepy coincidence going on that hopefully they search that land VERY well, including finding out if any other girls went missing in the general area over the past 25 years or so.

As far as LE giving him so much attention...I remember a case over in my general area of some teens that went missing, and LE almost immediately honed in on a large piece of property owned by a wealthy family who were parents of a friend of the boys. Sure enough, after weeks of investigation, the boys were found buried on the property. So I tend to believe that often, if LE hones in quickly on a suspicious property, there is a good chance the answer will lie there. It might just take awhile to prove it.

IF - LE knows where she is and who she's with - why wouldn't they go to that location and get her?

If they're willing to go to WC's, et al - they would go get her - if they knew where she was.

Thus - I don't think they don't know where she is - or who she's with!

I really don’t see a point in rehashing this guy’s history. The legal system has dealt with those incidents. I guarantee you he’s not the only man in the area with a history like that, but if LE could tie him or anyone else to Mollie’s disappearance they’d do more than follow up with 10 minute chats. Bottom line: there’s no reason to think this dude did anything to Mollie.
That may be, but as the victim of a stalker, it is a terrible place to be. I could never completely dismiss someone with a history like that until the real truth is uncovered.

It depends, I had an ex who invited me over and when I got there she was sitting in the car with some other guy. Needless to say I was not happy and she preceding in calling the cops on me. Who in turned said I could be charged with stalking. I stopped getting involved with her after that.

Right. You stopped getting involved because you’re not a stalker. I believe that stalking is about power. I think that the stalker is delusional in his/her belief that the act of watching is an act of control. It makes sense that over time the stalker would need to increase the level of control in order to satisfy that need (because just watching isn’t enough). So much probably happens in the stalker’s mind that the stalked person has no idea that it’s happening.

I wouldn’t be surprised if whoever took her, watched her and stalked her. Not sure for how long, but if a ride was involved, I think she knew the person enough to get in the car. It’s also possible that she was knocked down, drugged, incapacitated in some way. IF this happened, I think it would have to have happened when it was dark outside. There are neighbors on her route, cars that go by, and she is well known. It is perplexing that if she got into a car during the daylight hours even with someone she knows, that no one saw her. Sunset wasn’t until 8:45 pm that night. This makes me wonder about whether she made that walk to her mom’s early the next morning. I keep going back between the evening before of the morning.

Someone said this in an earlier thread: If LE have her FitBit data, they know if she slept that night.

As far as who did the abducting, I have no idea. Maybe her cell phone pinged near WC’s house, but that is highway 21. This looks to be a major backroad artery out of town. There is a cell phone tower there, and his prior conviction definitely drew the attention of LE. This doesn’t actually mean much. It’s circumstantial.

The fact that they keep searching that area tells me that perhaps something has been found in addition to the a cellphone ping that indicates that something happened there. Something corroborated their suspicion that MT was in that area. It could be a dumping of some item that LE knew she had, or something seen or heard on the night in question, or unexpected tire tracks. Or something else. Pure speculation. No idea.

Wow. This post became a lot longer than I expected. I’ve apparently been thinking a lot about this, and needed to get it out!
MOO

I’m inclined to write off WC as a weird dude who probably acts “suspicious” every minute of his life, and not just when he’s being interviewed by the FBI.

However, yesterday I started to feel a little weird about him. I mean... the fitbit basically died on his property somewhere, somehow. AND he has a history of stalking. IMO that is a little bit of a creepy coincidence. What are the chances that someone threw her fitbit out and it just so happened to land on the property of someone who has a similar background history as the crime being committed? How possible could it be that the hog farm holds some nasty secrets? How possible could it be that the stalking charges were only the ones actually caught by police or turned in by women, and there could be more unreported stuff going on?

On the other hand, stalking charges can be posted by angry ex girlfriends and nasty divorces, so I’m not accusing WC of anything. However I’m saying there is enough creepy coincidence going on that hopefully they search that land VERY well, including finding out if any other girls went missing in the general area over the past 25 years or so.

As far as LE giving him so much attention...I remember a case over in my general area of some teens that went missing, and LE almost immediately honed in on a large piece of property owned by a wealthy family who were parents of a friend of the boys. Sure enough, after weeks of investigation, the boys were found buried on the property. So I tend to believe that often, if LE hones in quickly on a suspicious property, there is a good chance the answer will lie there. It might just take awhile to prove it.

WC's place is quite small and wouldn't be hard to search every inch of it - hog confinement building on adjacent piece of land to the east would also be easy to search.

Thought I remember reading a quote that stated they've searched WC's and MT is not there.

If LE has something on WC - he'd be questioned for more than a 5 or 10 minute stretch, etc.

The two hour meeting/questioning was done - I believe - without him having a lawyer present - given his past deeds that tells me volumes about his involvement - or lack thereof.

I'd have a lawyer if I were him - but he doesn't - I wonder why not???

Here are some of his charges:

August 12, 2009, Harassment 1st degree (aggravated), Poweshiek, Iowa

December 28, 2009, Burglary 3rd degree, Class D felony, Poweshiek, Iowa

March 16, 2010, Harassment by personal contact, Poweshiek, Iowa

July 1, 2010, Violation of No Contact Order, Poweshiek Iowa

February 7, 2011, Violation of PO/No contact, Jasper, Iowa

January 3, 2014 Stalking, 1st offense (Aggravated), Marion, Iowa

May 3, 2015 Harassment 3rd degree, Iowa, Iowa

Marion County Sheriff's Report

Maybe (besides the red shirt, which we still don't know is Mollie's) local law enforcement suspected him in the burglary that was near the bf's home close to the time Mollie went missing.

ETA: Not burglary, as I don't see one on the Poweshiek Sheriff's daily call logs and was apparently mistaken.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member