Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #17

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder if people get confused sometimes and call it an SUV too. Which makes me wonder if there is any truth the alleged black vehicle seen in Mollies town around the same time and could it be this same Missouri vehicle.

Im siding with the chief of police here about this.

"“I think it’s well within the possibility that there could be some sort of connection with Mollie’s case,” said Miner’s chief of police, Chris Griggs, according to Inside Edition."

That Missouri attempted abduction was very scary and it sounds like the guy was definitely after the jogger until she managed to get away. He is on the loose. Missouri is not all that far from Iowa considering that the guy knew she would go to LE and he probably left the state of Missouri to avoid being arrested there.

ETA Checked the map and from Miner, its a straight shot north on I55 to Peoria, Illinois and then I74 northwest to I80 west to right near Brooklyn Iowa.

Footage Emerges of Jogger Abduction Attempt Just One Day Before Mollie Tibbetts Disappeared

This seems like one of the best leads yet.

I am very excited to join this website. As a native Iowan and someone with some experience in both science and the law, here are my 2 cents worth. Iowa, sadly, has had it's list of outstanding cold cases involving involuntary disappearances and/or abduction/murder. Mollie's case reminds me in many ways of Michael Klunder's MO in that he kidnapped women, sexually abused them and ultimately killed and disposed of them in hog confinement facilities. If you go back even to the early 80's, Iowa has had kidnappings (disappeareances) in both urban areas (the Des Moines Paper Boys) and rural areas (most recently Jake Wilson), Mollie, Jodie Huisentruit, Elizabeth Collins/Lyric Cook (found), Evelyn Miller (found) etc etc. For being a rural state, we sadly have our sickos. I've been to rural towns in central Iowa including Grinnell, Newton etc. Even in a semi-urbanized setting like that, it drops off into rural areas and corn fields/hog lots quickly. There is ample area in Iowa to dispose off someone and it doesn't have to be a cornfield. Hog confinements are now all in a building and the discharge/effluent pond is outside the building. It is a teaming cesspool and thick and nothing in there would be found even if dragged. I'm assuming the Iowa State Patrol, which does have aerial assets, using forward looking infrared (FLIR) to search the corn fields to detect a heat signature earlier in Mollie's disappearance. Even if she was deceased, her ambient temperature would be higher (initially) than a cool Iowa evening. I think people are over analyzing this disappearance. I am praying that Mollie is alive but all of these towns have one or two or three disaffected sexual degenerates. You can check that by looking at the Iowa Sex Offender Registry. I don't think she's that far from her home and I believe that whomever took her was either local or in a town or two over. I do hope she is found (safely) for the family to have closure. Other families like the Gosch's, Martins and Huisentruit's have literally been waiting decades. If you have Iowa questions you want answered, post em. I'll take a crack!

Welcome to this thread, Briangriffin,

Very kind of you to offer to answer questions about Iowa and to help us visualize the lay out of the area.

Everyone shares the same hope as you do - that Mollie is found safely.

I'm glad you are here.

Thanks for the link.
Honestly at this time I see the DITCH next to the pig farm as relevant but so far nothing points toward any other part of his property for me since LE didn't find Mollie. There were two different men I thought initially who had something to do with the hog business whom LE interviewed and searched their properties and the properties were close to each other.

Fully understand why they did it in both instances- each man had histories, and the biz itself and properties have been in the news before where there has been a missing person. But it seems to me that there is a disconnect between either of them and Brooklyn or Mollie at this time (could be we are out of the loop).

I can't help think the connection is more about the way local LE views their precincts/districts/ I don't know what they call them in Poweshiek County and why that shirt wound up in that ditch. Things can blow out the back of a pickup truck. The winds and rain were fierce the 19th. It's a ditch, it moves water. There was not actual grid search done in Mollie's case and time lapsed. Not sure if LE travels that road routinely? Not sure who else does?

A Kinston NC woman Laura Ackerson, was killed by her ex-boyfriend and the boyfriend's wife in Raleigh, chopped up in their Raleigh apt (not a first floor or basement apt so neighbors on all sides,btw) bathroom, put in coolers and carried to TX where the wife's sister lived and parts of the victim's body were found among pigs. It was so horrific. Evil can be so close. We have to apply common sense anticipating the worse imo.

Thanks for the link. I wonder if our highway reader boards have cameras or could have them added? Why couldn't the signs which tell us about food, gas, lodging have cameras? The highway cameras we can use to view traffic doesn't allow us to view reader boards. And I don't see where one can click on an icon for reader boards along a route. I think that would be a good thing. How hard could it be to add? Could the travel/traffic map with the little camera icons you click to view a particular piece of road also be designed to open an alert about a missing person?

Just trying to figure out how with so many having tiny computer phones these days - some answer calls hands free while driving, how could or does a missing person alert reach folks who are moving along our roadways?

Wonder if any of those camping places are known for their privacy, no cameras? Like some hotels - which to me is reason to stay away from them but could/would be a draw for criminals right? Is there any law requiring campsites to have cameras? Maybe to prevent fires or illegal drug activity? Makes sense.

Just wondering outloud.

I agree that they seemed focused on a very small area (ditch) according to reports and photos. So many possible explanations that may or may not involve direct knowledge or involvement of anyone living near that location.

O/T: I just listened to Laura's case on sword and scale yesterday, too. Horrific is an understatement. I was left feeling horrible for her and her poor children.

Last edited:
Sure they do. At a minimum they know if a red shirt was found and if it was consistent with the shirt she had. They also have her cell phone info so they know her direction of travel and her approximate location at certain times. They also have her Fit Bit info.

That is not a lot, but do we even know for a fact that they have that much? Has it been confirmed that they got information from her cell phone or the Fitbit? We can guess that they tracked it down to the hog farm, but that might be all the information they got from it. As for the red shirt, personally I doubt it was related. The truth might be that they have absolutely no leads. Which is what I'm leaning toward.

I just don't think the boyfriend or brother did it. Initially, I thought they might be suspects; but they don't pass the smell test. The brother has a fiance and I don't think he needs his brother's gf to satisfy his physical needs. Also, there is no information to suggest Mollie's bf was not in a stable relationship with her. I can't see them planning this and executing this on the fly. They just seem too intellectually unsophisticated to pull this off. Besides, if they tried, some physical evidence of wounds would be there on them. We Iowans are not that stupid to check for defensive wounds. Even a girl of Mollie's size would have fought hard and I'm sure that house where she lived has been searched with a fine tooth comb for evidence of blood stains (Luminol) etc. I sense this was done by more of an adult. Early 30's to 40ish. Deviant.

i can't even imagine the anxiety of her family with possible sightings, the body (Sadie) being found in southeastern Iowa, etc. Their heart probably skips a beat wondering if it's her, and then sinks when it's not. What hell to go through. I really hope this ends for them soon.

Sadie's family & friends were devastated when her body was found. They were irate when they heard people say, its not MT thank God! Like MT was more special. Felt so sorry for Sadie's family. She was awesome......RIP Sadie! I personally knew her family!

I'm not sure what you mean by "dark backdrop," but this is how Dalton's mother described it: “There was light as he could tell she was indoors. It just did not have anything noticable in the background. He looked at it briefly before he went to bed. And since it was a picture message it disappeared. It is not fishy that it was just her face. They sent snaps and texts like that all the time.”

Mollie Tibbetts Boyfriend Dalton Jack: 5 Fast Facts to Know | Heavy.com

I read a report that he said was a plain backdrop and couldn’t tell but appeared indoors. I think the snap is irrelevant as it could have been taking before her jog at 7:30 and Dalton didn’t open it till 10. Timeline on that I don’t think plays a role in solving this. Also the computer being on really doesn’t tell us anything unless key strokes happened after she left her house for her jog which I haven’t heard that be the case other than being logged in. She didn’t have her wallet or Id or anything so she wasn’t planning on driving or leaving for long if u ask me without that stuff and even her glasses.

One day, as I was walking to elementary school, someone- a stranger- tried to snatch me. He only didn't succeed because my mother had told me to "be polite and say no thank you" to anyone I didn't know who offered me something. In this case, it was candy.

In the 40 years hence, I have run into *countless* people who told me a similar story. I believe, from my own life experience, attempted stranger abductions are more common than even the FBI knows, at least back in the 60s, 70s, when there was far less media awareness. Mine was never reported. My point is I wonder how often even these days kids don't tell their parents about someone creepy, who tries to suss them out. I never told until I was an adult & realized how close a call that was on my life. Just saying.

I was almost kidnapped. Twice. One time I was four and my mom watched me walk down the street to the neighbor's house to play with the six girls who lived there. She couldn't see me walk to the door because their garage blocked her view. But I didn't reemerge so she figured I went in.

Unbeknownst to her, I sat on the porch and thought I'd wait and they'd come home. I remember that.

After what seemed an eternity, I gave up and went to the sidewalk to walk past the four houses between mine and the girls. But there was a man in a station wagon on the street. Staring at me. He then pulled into the driveway next door, blocking me from going through on the sidewalk. He stared. Saying nothing.

I felt weird.

He then backed out and backed up the street as I walked past. He stared. He then pulled into the next driveway and stared again. Blocking the sidewalk so I couldn't go past.

He did this three times and then after reversing while staring at me as I got to the yard between my house and the neighbor's, he held up an empty candy jar and asked if wanted any candy and to get in his car.

I had a sense of dread but just stood there and couldn't move.

At the same time my mom was inside doing laundry. True story, she suddenly bolted up with fear, gasped, "Anna!" and ran out the door, finding me standing there frozen with a man in a car talking to me. She yelled at me, grabbed me, threw me inside, turned on the tv, told me to sit there, locked the door and chased the dude, in her little VW. She got his licenses nd came back home.

He was apprehended. We went to the police station and I got a lollipop. (Which I remember. That was exciting.).

My mom tells me that he had priors for molesting kids but he got away with it by saying he only asked me to lift my skirt (I guess that was okay on the 70's?) and did not try to get me in his car. So he wasn't charged.

I think he would've killed me if he got me in his car.

On another occasion when I was 11 a man approached me and two friends on the street and said he was looking for his "lost dog" and could we help him! One friend seemed about to. Me and one other knew he was a perv and screamed "run!" And we did.

Despite these experiences I actually think the stats as to successful stranger abductions are accurate and it remains quite rare!

Actual conversation with my 17 year old:

Me: what is Vee Ess See Oh [spelling out VSCO because what do I know]?
17 year old: [blank stare]
Me: you know, the social media site?
17 year old: [rolling eyes] Oh, you mean Visco [how it is actually pronounced]

I feel old.

Keeping this on topic - I hope today is the day Mollie's loved ones gets answers.
This is almost the exact same conversation, nonverbals and all, I had a few days ago with my 14 year old. I feel old, too! I'm still trying to understand Twitter...

Sadie's family & friends were devastated when her body was found. They were irate when they heard people say, its not MT thank God! Like MT was more special. Felt so sorry for Sadie's family. She was awesome......RIP Sadie! I personally knew her family!
I'm sorry if I also came off that way. I agree with you. I was just mentioning it since this thread is about Mollie. But Sadie's death is absolutely awful and horrific as well and my heart also goes out to her family and friends. I'm very sorry for your loss.

That is not a lot, but do we even know for a fact that they have that much? Has it been confirmed that they got information from her cell phone or the Fitbit? We can guess that they tracked it down to the hog farm, but that might be all the information they got from it. As for the red shirt, personally I doubt it was related. The truth might be that they have absolutely no leads. Which is what I'm leaning toward.

It has been reported that they have information from her cell phone and FitBit:

JULY 25: Authorities tell KCRG they have received information from Fitbit after filing a search warrant.
Authorities receive Fitbit information in Mollie Tibbetts investigation

JULY 26: Late Thursday, investigators said they had completed reconstructing their timeline of Mollie's run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses. Investigators turn to Fitbit data for clues about missing Iowa college student

Again with the black suv. It has been said repeatedly that this has been debunked

Can you point to anything in MSM that debunked the alleged local girls sighting of a black vehicle in MTs town? The only thing I saw seemed to validate it did occur and she supposedly shared with Fox news about it.

"Over the past few days, reports have emerged of a local woman recalling a black SUV slowly circling the neighborhood in which Mollie went missing on the night she disappeared. The claimed sighting was alleged by a young woman who lives a block away from the home of Tibbetts’ boyfriend, where Mollie was staying on her own while her partner was working out of town. Between 11:30 p.m. and 1 a.m., the woman said she observed the suspicious-looking vehicle lurking around the small neighborhood. She told Fox News that she subsequently reported her information to the FBI when questioned."

Footage Emerges of Jogger Abduction Attempt Just One Day Before Mollie Tibbetts Disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ray@Payton