Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #18

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What Mollie’s dad speculated is the absolutely best possible option at this point...why wouldn’t he put all of his hopes on that? Does not make it real or true...he can only hope. I think he knows that.

Long time reader – first time poster! And I may have missed a few of her threads so I apologize if any of this has already been discussed. There has been no evidence released. But there is one point of evidence – the involvement of the FBI.

If I have this correct, because she is 20 yrs old, they would only “monitor” the kidnapping. I think with 40 agents, they are doing far more than monitoring… If you look at the cases the FBI does get involved in, the only ones that would relate to Mollie would be – crossing state lines, involving cyber stalking, involvement of local law enforcement, or a serial killer, correct? If it was just a friend or family member and it stayed within Iowa, the FBI would not have 40 officials involved (unless it was officially a murder case). If they had a suspect to search for, they would release their photo, correct? Example - If it was a former teacher, they’d release their face and we’d all be on alert to find that person. They would not release their face if they did not know who took her. They would not release their face if they thought Mollie may have gone with them on purpose.

Something occurred in or around the WC farm area – but they’ve clearly stated that’s not where she is. Perhaps… They know she is no longer in the area because she’s outside of state lines (the where). They know she is with someone that had some interaction with her in some way (the who). They know the day and timeframe when she went missing (the when). They just don’t know if she is there willingly or being held against her will (the why).

I know it’s weird… but if she was with someone that thought she wanted to stay and let’s say be a subordinate (possible misinterpretation of conversation online) and they were holding her across state lines, would the FBI “go get her”? Would the FBI release information on that person? Not until they knew 100% that she was being held against her will – which is probably a very difficult thing to prove. Is that why her family keeps pleading for her safe return and keeps talking about a misunderstanding?

Apologies if this has already been said. It’s very hard to keep up! Praying they can bring Mollie home very, very soon!

Here is what I have (relative to WC and pig farms). I also included when FitBit and cell info was received to see what it looked like together:

JULY 25
  • Fitbit data received (1)
  • Search on Wednesday night in southern Poweshiek County along Iowa Highway 21 (2)
JULY 26
  • Detectives search pig farm Thurs am, boyfriend cleared (3)
  • WC questioned for the 1st time and property searched, cell phone taken (4)
  • Search teams accompanied by dogs, scoured ditches near a pig farm after finding a red shirt (4)
  • Timeline of Mollie's run reconstructed using FitBit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses (5)
AUG 3
  • FBI agent is seen with WC for 5-10 minutes, WC said he refused Polygraph, FBI to return Sunday (6)
  • 8/5 An FBI agent questioned WC for the third time around 5:30 p.m. for roughly 5-10 minutes. (7)
(1) Authorities tell KCRG they have received information from Fitbit after filing a search warrant. Authorities receive Fitbit information in Mollie Tibbetts investigation

(2) One of those searches took place Wednesday night in southern Poweshiek County along Iowa Highway 21, but it did not result in anything, he said. "There was nothing of investigative value last night that was discovered with the search," Mortvedt said. The search was the subject of speculation Wednesday and Thursday on social media.
Mollie Tibbetts: 'We follow through on everything,' investigators say of search
When Tibbetts' Fitbit pinged at a hog farm about 10 miles southeast of the house in Brooklyn, IA, where she was last seen, police searched the area but found nothing, Mortvedt said. Everything We Know About The Disappearance Of University Of Iowa Student Mollie Tibbetts

(3) According to Mortvedt, local, state and federal officers are following up on a number of leads. He confirmed that detectives were searching a pig farm in Guernsey on Thursday morning. Boyfriend Ruled Out as Suspect in Iowa Student's Disappearance — as Police Search Pig Farm

(4) Investigators arrived at his home July 26 and asked to search his property without a warrant. They were there for nearly two hours, taking photos of the interior of the home and also searching his garage. They asked to interview him away from the property and kept his cell phone overnight to check his records. On Thursday, search teams scoured ditches near a pig farm after finding a red shirt. FBI speaks to pig farmer for second time about missing Mollie Tibbetts
FBI officers, accompanied by search dogs, continued their search Thursday evening, acting off a new tip. Pig farm searched for missing Iowa student; FBI gets new tip - WDEF

(5) Late Thursday, investigators said they had completed reconstructing their timeline of Mollie's run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses. Investigators turn to Fitbit data for clues about missing Iowa college student

(6) An FBI agent was seen by Fox News arriving and speaking to Wayne Cheney for about five to 10 minutes Friday afternoon. Cheney also said that that law enforcement asked him Thursday to take a polygraph test and he refused. He said the FBI agent told him he would return Sunday for more questioning. FBI speaks to pig farmer for second time about missing Mollie Tibbetts

(7) Also on Sunday, an FBI agent questioned the owner of a nearby farm for the third time in connection with Tibbetts' disappearance, although it's unclear why. The agent questioned Wayne Cheney around 5:30 p.m. local time for roughly five to 10 minutes. Body found miles from where Mollie Tibbetts was last seen not missing college student, police say
Nice work, well documented. Thanks

Slightly OT
Yeah that was creepy the way the Golden State Killer would break in earlier in the day and leave a window adjar and also sometimes left items for himself in the house to use later on that night for the rape/murder.

Im with you and lock everything all the time. I even lock my car doors the moment I get inside my car. LOL

To me its such a simple step and I want to make it as difficult as possible on a potential criminal.

I honestly saw on the nightly news about a week ago that some car item thieves hit a whole neighborhood and they were running around and just checking any open car doors and then pillaging in them for any valuables. They skipped any cars that were locked. It was like a blitz attack on the block. There were 3 or 4 of them and they started on one end of the block and ran down the block hitting as many cars as possible. A home security camera caught them in action so you could see how fast they were moving.

Having a locked car on that block saved those homeowners.

Totally agree on the locking - at all times!

I lock my car while its in my attached garage as well - and I live in a very, very low crime area.

I've also started to pull my registration and insurance card from vehicle when leaving my car at the airport parking lot while traveling.

Paranoid? - no - just trying to fake a simple step to save myself any grief!

Thanks for this post as I've searched Media thread (nothing disproving), and also don't know where the "debunked" claim is coming from -- especially since this sighting was allegedly reported to FBI: Between 11:30 p.m. and 1 a.m., the woman said she observed the suspicious vehicle. She told Fox News that she reported it to the FBI when she was questioned.

Link please?
I'm not sure the debunking came from any official source. But I thought I read the owner of this site had posted something about the black suv incident? I will see what I can find.

Reporting back. In thread 15 Tricia said,
NO MORE POSTS ABOUT THE BLACK SUV. PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC.

THANK YOU

Tricia, Monday at 7:49 PMR

I think this is the same black SUV we are talking about here but correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps this has been mentioned in one of the previous threads, but does anyone know where all they looked when they were including volunteers in active searches? I know the farm, corn fields but did it go as far as creeks, abandoned buildings, private property and dumpsters? I’m not familiar with the area, but am speculating in rural Iowa, there would be more than a few places to hide someone, dead or alive.

Long time reader – first time poster! And I may have missed a few of her threads so I apologize if any of this has already been discussed. There has been no evidence released. But there is one point of evidence – the involvement of the FBI.

If I have this correct, because she is 20 yrs old, they would only “monitor” the kidnapping. I think with 40 agents, they are doing far more than monitoring… If you look at the cases the FBI does get involved in, the only ones that would relate to Mollie would be – crossing state lines, involving cyber stalking, involvement of local law enforcement, or a serial killer, correct? If it was just a friend or family member and it stayed within Iowa, the FBI would not have 40 officials involved (unless it was officially a murder case). If they had a suspect to search for, they would release their photo, correct? Example - If it was a former teacher, they’d release their face and we’d all be on alert to find that person. They would not release their face if they did not know who took her. They would not release their face if they thought Mollie may have gone with them on purpose.

Something occurred in or around the WC farm area – but they’ve clearly stated that’s not where she is. Perhaps… They know she is no longer in the area because she’s outside of state lines (the where). They know she is with someone that had some interaction with her in some way (the who). They know the day and timeframe when she went missing (the when). They just don’t know if she is there willingly or being held against her will (the why).

I know it’s weird… but if she was with someone that thought she wanted to stay and let’s say be a subordinate (possible misinterpretation of conversation online) and they were holding her across state lines, would the FBI “go get her”? Would the FBI release information on that person? Not until they knew 100% that she was being held against her will – which is probably a very difficult thing to prove. Is that why her family keeps pleading for her safe return and keeps talking about a misunderstanding?

Apologies if this has already been said. It’s very hard to keep up! Praying they can bring Mollie home very, very soon!

Welcome to Websleuths Wis-ski it is great to have you here. Thank you for joining us and for caring about Mollie.

When I think about the fact so many FBI are on this case, it can’t be a simple situation. The FBI knows everything. Heck, they know stuff before it happens! You can bet they have absolutely every social media post ever sent and received with mollie. Every phone ping. Every everything. Yet, here we still are.

Her mom seemed to speak frankly last week, revealing certain things LE would not. I doubt very much they are being “coached”. I doubt they know much more than we do. Especially if all the people close to Molie are being investigated. Jmo

bbm
Agreed. I just can't see LE coaching the family to say anything, especially her dad. I don't think I could do it -- I'd probably break down, and then where would that lead?

Further, if I had kidnapped Mollie, and if she were still alive, I would think about getting rid of the evidence and going farther on down the road -- the evidence being Mollie. IMO, mum's the word. Don't give a bad guy any hints or help. In order to do this, LE also won't give anyone outside the investigation any info either. So, we wait.

I must have missed that one somewhere....was there a carnival held nearby that week? Also if there was, were carnival workers brought in to run rides?
I can't find a link about it, but IIRC there were fairs/carnivals in the area (not in town but nearby) - something to do with corn tassellers/tasselling? competition and a carnival was mentioned. Very early threads discussed both if you know how to search closed threads you could find out more (I don't know how to search efficiently).

So there were extra people in town who came for these events around the time she went missing.

And then the big bike ride came right through town and passed the areas where LE was searching with some riders saying on SM or MSM they would be on the lookout for her when passing through. Although the bike ride came through after Mollie disappeared, I know cyclists who will go ahead of time to places they're going to ride through to check the route out and places to stop or stay, and there were hundreds of people on this ride.

Thanks for this post as I've searched Media thread (nothing disproving), and also don't know where the "debunked" claim is coming from -- especially since this sighting was allegedly reported to FBI: Between 11:30 p.m. and 1 a.m., the woman said she observed the suspicious vehicle. She told Fox News that she reported it to the FBI when she was questioned.

Link please?
- Tricia posted about the SUV on Monday - I don't know if this is still in effect now.
NO MORE POSTS ABOUT THE BLACK SUV. PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC.

THANK YOU

Tricia, Monday at 2:49 PM Report
#388 Like

But then, you’re dealing with an insurer which will not be happy about the easy entry to your home...they also should be happy not to have to pay for a busted door

Just opinion, I would be shocked if anyone would stay in that sized home without securing it while staying alone.
I just wonder if he has stalked or is stalking other women in the community in addition to his ex and her daughters. Not accusing this man of anything.

According to the girlfriend's interview this situation is ongoing and has involved following and harassing her daughter as well. Her interview is chilling.

It's been a few threads since I last contributed anything, but over the past day or so, that attempted abduction of a jogger in Miner, Missouri (which was caught on CCTV) the day before Mollie's disappearance has been bothering me. I wonder if and when they will identify that guy.

Even if Mollie's disappearance is not connected to that attempted abduction, there's no doubt that the guy in the van intended to commit a crime against THAT jogger. So he's still dangerous IMO.

I believe the article said Miner is about 7 hours from Brooklyn. But if the perp, say, lives somewhere between the two cities, it's not much of a stretch to imagine driving a few hours from "home" to Brooklyn the day after the failed abduction attempt. Not to mention, I'm sure he knew his attempted abduction would be reported to police, and that would be a good reason to cross over to a different state to try again (possibly in a different vehicle or in a different "disguise"). Surely, info is shared between police departments in different states, but it stands to reason that Missouri would be on higher alert for the guy than would Iowa police, before Mollie disappeared.

Miner, Missouri Jogger Video: Mollie Tibbetts Link? | Heavy.com

This is somewhat OT, especially if it seems that she disappeared during her run, but for those of you in/from small towns where people don't lock their doors--do you not lock them overnight, either? Or when you leave the home? I'm a city gal (well, suburbanite, at least), and our house is locked up tight during the day, whether we're home or not, and we have a security alarm on at night. I cannot fathom leaving the house unlocked while I'm at home sleeping. Even out in the country, that would totally creep me out. And staying at the house alone? I guess having large dogs in the house makes people feel safer, but I wouldn't even count on that.

ETA--I don't usually bother locking my car's doors when it's in the driveway, but my sister's husband recently found a man in their minivan in their driveway, looking for something to steal, so now I'm even a little more careful about locking my car doors as well!

Same here about locking-up, but I also lock my car whether I am in it or not.

Welcome to Websleuths, ventuc!!

I doubt LE would tell the family who, if they have a suspect. Fear of her brothers going after him, etc...from being on WS we hear often that families are told nothing...one of their biggest frustrations.
Agree. LE's priority is Mollie. They will not release any info to anyone that could get in the way of helping her.

Dad is being coached, scripted. Mom is suffering, and speaking from that place inside. It speaks to our worst fears, every one of us. I believe that we dissect it, examine it, to avoid the fact that it could be any one of us. :'(

If Dad is being scripted to say someone took mollie and please give up, bring her back, what would that be a cover for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member