Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
De-tasseling. :)

You take them off, not put them on. :)
I’ll give you a hypothetical: A person decides to confess to the crime. They explain what happened, including when and where. If they tell LE only things that LE knows, then they can conclude that this person is being truthful. “I abducted Mollie at this time, from this location.” This is also true when it comes to tipsters, who perhaps have heard someone confess to the crime. Law enforcement can determine if there is any veracity to the call, based on the timeline that they have kept a lid on.

Being that I am a retired LE officer, I know that it is standard procedure, to with hold key, vital information, from public disclosure. This is true in ANY criminal investigation. Why? Because, often times, individuals will FALSELY confess to incidents. LE will know it is a legitimate confession, if the suspect reveals the undisclosed information, that only the real perp could know.

I highly recommend you get her the the app I use. It is called the Road ID app and it is free. It sends a text to up to three different numbers when I start out. It then texts this numbers an "e crumb" which is a link to a map that tracks me live. If I stop for more than two minutes it sends an alert to my chosen contacts. My husband and I both use this.

Thanks for this tip. It sounds amazing.

This is one reason I like to follow these cases. We can learn so much from them on how to be safer ourselves.

Mollie Tibbetts Case: Missing Woman's Dad, Boyfriend Urge Witnesses to Come Forward

So I read above or on another page that she was dog sitting for Aimee at her house, But I just read that news link saying it was at her boyfriends house. Which is the proper
I think you mean Allie (I believe). It is both her and the boyfriend's house. Her boyfriend lived with his brother, and his brother's fiancee, Allie.
OMG thank you! I am definitely going to have her download that app. She knows I am a worrier so has refrained from jogging as much as she likes which of course makes me feel bad. I don't want her to stop doing something that makes her happy. I just want her to be as safe as possible as she is doing it.
RoadID also makes an awesome bracelet - not tech related at all - they're about $12, plus $10 a year for the website access, and you can put some basic info on the metal piece on top (imagine something similar to the medical alert bracelets), but the underside, against your arm has a website, phone number, and code engraved. If someone inputs that code into the website or calls the number, it will give a ton of info about you, that you input into the system in advance. Name, address, emergency contacts, doctor's name, allergies, blood type...the list goes on. I wear mine non-stop, but especially while jogging or biking. I got it after I met a man who was hit by a car biking, and thrown into a ditch/culvert. He wasn't found there for nearly 6 hours, and was unconscious. He ended up in a coma for 3 weeks, and the hospital was able to use that to contact his family, and also provide immediate medical care at the scene because they could pull up important medical info right in the ambulance.

Sometimes when I think about this case, it seems like the perpetrator was either incredibly crafty or, alternatively, just had dumb luck ... pulling off the perfect abduction. I am not convinced one way or the other, but the implications of each scenario are very different.

If it were dumb luck, which happens more often than people think in life, it could be a large number of people. In fact, it could have been any mentally deranged opportunist. They could be local or not.

If the perpetrator is crafty, it pares it down considerably. Somebody had to do some planning, dotting their i's and crossing their t's:
For instance, the people talking about purposely dropping evidence near WC because of his record. Knowing Mollie's jogging route. Avoiding detection during the abduction. Knowing to avoid spots with cameras. Having the local LE and FBI unsuccessfully, as far as we know, chasing leads. This person would have to be or have an LE background to pull this off. Or simply have a mind like a chess player. Or part of some sort of larger network.

Again, I am not convinced of either at this point.

Most of the crimes involving the missing seem to be one of two things. Family, acquaintances or dumb luck. I always wonder how nobody saw anything when a girl is plucked right off the streets.

Hmmm...seems I could be in the minority here as far as having a high hinky meter reading on WC. I always appreciated my fellow posters’ readings and assessments. It will be interesting to see if he is ruled out, left open or eventually charged. He could be like an RL or DN in A and L’s case. Whatever the case, I hoooooope this guy has nothing to do with her disappearance, that’s for sure.
You're definitely in the majority.

Most of the crimes involving the missing seem to be one of two things. Family, acquaintances or dumb luck. I always wonder how nobody saw anything when a girl is plucked right off the streets.
The perpetrator may have had the cover of darkness, it may have occurred in a remote area, or she may have initially gone willingly. Without knowing where/when she was abducted, there are countless reasons why nobody saw a thing.

The perpetrator may have had the cover of darkness, it may have occurred in a remote area, or she may have initially gone willingly. Without knowing where/when she was abducted, there are countless reasons why nobody saw a thing.
I guess I would disagree in this case because I have always thought Mollie was abducted on her jog on her way to her mothers home for dinner. Actually somebody was nice enough to earth google it and I took the jog myself. :)

Okay, so I believe they searched several pig farms and hog confinement areas, but these were not WC ‘s? I guess they searched his farm and home, according to him. It just gets a little muddy refering to him as the pig farmer when he actually is not.

I originally asked if it was ok to call him the pig farmer, as that is what the media calls him and the headlines say. I actually feel worse referring to him by any personal identifying like initials because if he had absolutely nothing to do with it, he is better off being called a random anonymous pig farmer than by something that could keep dragging his name in the mud(I seriously do not mean any pun by that.).

Sometimes when I think about this case, it seems like the perpetrator was either incredibly crafty or, alternatively, just had dumb luck ... pulling off the perfect abduction. I am not convinced one way or the other, but the implications of each scenario are very different.

If it were dumb luck, which happens more often than people think in life, it could be a large number of people. In fact, it could have been any mentally deranged opportunist. They could be local or not.

If the perpetrator is crafty, it pares it down considerably. Somebody had to do some planning, dotting their i's and crossing their t's:
For instance, the people talking about purposely dropping evidence near WC because of his record. Knowing Mollie's jogging route. Avoiding detection during the abduction. Knowing to avoid spots with cameras. Having the local LE and FBI unsuccessfully, as far as we know, chasing leads. This person would have to be or have an LE background to pull this off. Or simply have a mind like a chess player. Or part of some sort of larger network.

Again, I am not convinced of either at this point.

The more I think about it, this dichotomy goes towards exactly why I'm not really feeling WC as a suspect. IF he is responsible, then at least to me, based on known information, half of his actions have been very shrewd, while the other half have been very stupid.

As a generality, if a potential suspect must have engaged in a combination of especially shrewd and especially stupid actions to pull off an unsolved crime, in my eyes they are unlikely to have committed it. I wish I could take credit for this concept but I can't, it came from Bill James' Popular Crime.

Obviously there are exceptions; whoever killed Missy Bevers seems to be one such smart/stupid lucky perp. And also obviously there could be more information known to LE that converts some of WC's hypothetical actions from "smart" to "stupid".

I thought right away they cleared her two brothers and her bf. That's all I have heard. No more.
Yes, both Mollie's family and the Jack family (including Allie) have been cleared. No POI has been announced. So far it appears they've just interviewed people who may have seen her that night to establish a timeline and they brought in WC for questioning but haven't named him as a POI.

I guess I would disagree in this case because I have always thought Mollie was abducted on her jog on her way to her mothers home for dinner. Actually somebody was nice enough to earth google it and I took the jog myself. :)

My theories flip all over the place. One day I'm convinced she was abducted on the way to Mom's, next day I'm convinced she left with someone willingly - but thinking they were just going somewhere or hanging out, and that person abducted her.

I too think it’s probable that she headed towards her mother’s house. But since you’ve navigated the route, you don’t think it’s possible that she could have been abducted quickly under the cover of darkness, while traveling that route?

If dogs haven't picked up her scent she was probably taken away in a car or truck.

More than likely this is the case. Who was in town during the summer visiting relatives/ home from college that is not there any longer. I see either 2 possibilities. 1. Someone relatively local ( within say 50 miles) knew her daily jogging routine, lay hidden, subdued her quickly and then took off with her ( I've been thinking taser or stun gun) or 2. she voluntarily took off because she was tired of small town Iowa life and she made an online connection with someone from a metropolitan area who picked her up and now she is either voluntarily or involuntarily in a large metropolitan setting ( think NYC) I vacillate back and forth between thinking which one is more likely.

Thank you for this post on your professional expertise. I think LE has plenty of info they are keeping close to the vest as to not compromise the integrity of the case. Apparently even if her iPhone battery was dead or powered off you can still get last known location info from find my phone cloud services.

Here’s a link
How to Find Your iPhone Even If It’s Dead (with & without Find My iPhone)

That particular method works only if the app was installed and enabled tracking previous to the "date gone dead" (phone powered down or dead battery/battery removed). LE has searched areas where MT's iPhone last reported (extracted from carrier network data) as its location(s) and, AFAWK, no joy. Come harvest, LE may focus on those broader areas again, urging farmers to be aware of what to spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova