Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #19

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess we're all different. I am much more confident in the digital data that LE might be privy to than on eye witness testimony regarding times they may have seen Mollie out jogging. Eye witness testimony is notoriously terrible and unreliable where a digital record is hard data.
i definitely agree the technology is more accurate but until LE confirms for us, i remain skeptical. for example, if at tomorrows presser LE were to tell us the snap was sent at 945 from a location 2 hr away, id definitely value that and start to question the jog sightings (i have no reason to think this, just giving an example of why LE info re technology would trump eye witnesses for me)

It's interesting that so many "feel" that Mollie encountered a 'gentleman abductor" who kindly arranged an appointment with her or offered her a ride, suggested that she SnapChat her boyfriend, and then completely disappeared her.

Drew Sjodin was walking across a parking lot talking to her boyfriend on her cell phone. She encountered a murderer with a knife (significant to realize that not all abductors have a gun). He pulled his knife out of a sheath, dropped the sheath in the parking lot, and Dru vanished. If the sheath had not been left behind, people might imagine that she met a kind friend who offered her a ride, but that is not how abduction happens. Abduction means taken against will.

If we include in the known facts that Mollie was "abducted", shouldn't we move beyond scenarios that put some responsibility on Mollie for her disappearance? That is, can we accept that Mollie did not set up a meeting with her abductor or willingly hop in the vehicle of her abductor?

I haven’t heard anything about a burglary. Doesn’t mean it isn’t possible.
I can't think of anything these young kids would have of value. That's usually the old ones that get robbed. With that said maybe Blake kept tools from his company back in the barns. Those can be valuable.

A quick search says that snapchat cannot be accessed from 2 phones simultaneously. Given that most people using snapchat keep the app open and running even when not actively sending snaps this seems unlikely. MOO.

This is correct, you cannot be logged in simultaneously on the same SnapChat account.

If her phone is still logged in, and someone logs in on their phone using her account username and password, it will automatically log her out on her phone. But if a snap is opened on her phone, it's no longer viewable. Now, if there are unopened snaps, you can certainly view those and whenever she logged back in on her phone, they wouldn't show. The only thing you'd be able to view after it being opened is if there are any chats saved. (I believe, though, you have to click something that will save each personal chat).

I have my childrens snap info and do randomly log in on my phone to view who the have on their friends list, make sure they're in "ghost mode" and to see if there's any inappropriate chats.

ETA: another thought ... My kids mainly use SnapChat to communicate and take photos. Each photo taken thru the SnapChat app, you can save into a photo album. It's possible that Snap she sent her boyfriend is also saved in her album.

Why would the police coming to see your horse, voluntarily letting them in, when you were the last person to see a missing person startle someone? That is really something to be expected. That story makes 0 sense.<modsnipped against TOS>

Totally disagree - case in point - some people are frightened by snakes - while others have them as pets.

Just because you might not be startled - doesn't mean everyone else would react like you!

Last edited:
Don't shut down the thread now. The hours before a presser often produce leaks.

Just another thought: Maybe LE has too many suspects? I had one case where a couple was killed. Police had a whole row of suspects: people who the couple owed money to for dope, people who were "swinging" with the couple, even a guy who was hiding items from his bankruptcy case on their property. It was years ago, and no one has ever been charged. To the outside world, this couple seemed like regular people with regular occupations.

It doesn't seem that MT would have anything that crazy in her life, but you never know -- there could be a handful of acquaintances who, for one reason or another, have drawn the interest of LE. Maybe they just need a little bit more to get a search warrant, or a little bit more to narrow in on someone.

The fact that they haven't asked the public for help finding a certain type of vehicle, or help finding someone who was wearing certain clothing, or perhaps even help finding a person in a sketch, makes me think the investigators are doing just fine on their own -- or they have zilch.

One thing for sure: If she's alive, she didn't leave voluntarily. She would have at least logged into her social media by now to check things out, and LE would know it.

I have been thinking that too but then I go back to “how were they communicating?” Has LE been able to check her phone records or social media? If so, I would imagine that they would be able to locate this person. JMO
Maybe she knew who this person was but, she never associated with them on Social Media ?

If LE will not "confirm or deny" speaking with the guy who said he saw her around 9, it is probably because it is part of the timeline that they are refusing to publicize. It sounds to me, with what info there is, that she may have stopped texting around 7:30, started some school work, decided to jog before dark and pick up the car for the next day....jogged past the witnesses house around 9 (dusk) and was only one tenth of a mile from her moms when she was abducted. If its true that LE via FitBit has her 10 miles south of Brooklyn, she may have been in a vehicle passing by. As for the 10pm snapchat.....that is sketchy. No evidence of it and no idea when it was sent. I think she was abducted around 9pm, jogging very close to her destination.....her moms house, to pick up the car. JMO

And since barely any info is being released, (and rightfully so) we don't really know when she actually stopped texting.

I hope the possibility of a church acquaintance has not been ignored. Church and church activities are places where perps of this ilk can hide in the tall grass undetected. Not talking about clergy or church employees and I’m not suggesting anything is out of order for local churches in Brooklyn. Just talking about a generic congregant who attends to have social contact with or just observe people he admires or covets or finds otherwise appealing. He would not offend in church, just watch, maybe smile, nod, shake hands or sit in proximity to the person he admires. Perhaps he could be volunteer laity or participate in the same activities. Church and its activities can be a venue for social interaction in a smaller community with everyone being welcomed and trusted. Not casting stones, just mentioning it as a possibility. It has happened before.

Opinion - They are going to pat themselves on their LE backs for their many long hard hours of dedicated work in this investigation. They will promise to never give up and persevere on for justice for Mollie and her family. They will then not give any new or old info, because they do have any, or are unwilling to share what they have, because of the ongoing investigation. They will ask for the public's continued help........Opinion - Until Mollie comes home, a body is found, or an arrest is made, we aren't going to learn much new.

Except that didn't LE state that they would be giving out new info? MOO but I think it relates to a possible timeline of events so the public can call in anything they may have seen during the time in question. I think an arrest is also possible..even if unlikely. Who knows maybe something toward a resolution will happen today.

Opinion - They are going to pat themselves on their LE backs for their many long hard hours of dedicated work in this investigation. They will promise to never give up and persevere on for justice for Mollie and her family. They will then not give any new or old info, because they do have any, or are unwilling to share what they have, because of the ongoing investigation. They will ask for the public's continued help........Opinion - Until Mollie comes home, a body is found, or an arrest is made, we aren't going to learn much new.

Same old, same old in my opinion.

so Mollie did NOT turn up at her mother's for dinner that night, correct? Or is that another thing we don't have a solid answer to?

I do think if she intended to meet this person the night her boyfriend was gone she wouldn’t tell anyone which is kinda what happened. Not saying she was going to cheat but he’s gone and the opportunity is there. She wouldn’t tell anyone in my opinion she was going to meet a guy as she had a boyfriend. Dogs put away as she knew she was going to be gone for a while. Maybe someone nearby she use to date or saw occasionally when she had opportunity.

Back in my day - which wasn't really all that long ago - it wasn't uncommon at all for a kid to have a casual BF/GF at college while maintaining a relationship with a steady at home. Not knowing this girl at all I'm not going to speculate as to whether or not that's the case here, but if she did have a side flame at school what better time for him to visit than when both her boyfriend and his roommate/brother was out of town?

Mollie Tibbetts: Fox News takes a look at the location where the missing girl is last thought to have been

We had a discussion on here last night. I believe the reason they go that direction instead of toward town is because of tsa rules and there is an airport within 5 miles or Fox News was trying to make it really creepy for dramatic purposes. I would love to see footage along her running route.

They took the drone over what I believe is classified as a "Class B" road - you can see the yellow sign in the video - those type of roads are maintained on a scheduled basis - it's basically an - enter at your own risk type if a road.

No one in their right mind would jog down a road like that!

And yes - the airport is northeast of the house and the drone headed due west.

It's interesting that so many "feel" that Mollie encountered a 'gentleman abductor" who kindly arranged an appointment with her or offered her a ride, suggested that she SnapChat her boyfriend, and then completely disappeared her.

Drew Sjodin was walking across a parking lot talking to her boyfriend on her cell phone. She encountered a murderer with a knife (significant to realize that not all abductors have a gun). He pulled his knife out of a sheath, dropped the sheath in the parking lot, and Dru vanished. If the sheath had not been left behind, people might imagine that she met a kind friend who offered her a ride, but that is not how abduction happens. Abduction means taken against will.

If we include in the known facts that Mollie was "abducted", shouldn't we move beyond scenarios that put some responsibility on Mollie for her disappearance? That is, can we accept that Mollie did not set up a meeting with her abductor or willingly hop in the vehicle of her abductor?
And also leave the door open. Why do we say he abducted her. Could be a woman

I assume the police wanted to check out what type of view he would have from inside his house.

Exactly. As a retired LE, I know that any witness claims, are investigated to determine their validity. To determine IF witness observations were actually possible. Well meaning people sometimes, make inaccurate sightings.

Except that didn't LE state that they would be giving out new info? MOO but I think it relates to a possible timeline of events so the public can call in anything they may have seen during the time in question. I think an arrest is also possible..even if unlikely. Who knows maybe something toward a resolution will happen today.
I very much hope that you are right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member