Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #20

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did the home MT was at have Wifi, and assuming she connected her phone to that, and didn't have an unlimited data plan or tower coverage was spotty, would something like a router log show the times her phone,laptop connected to the network?

Presumably, this data could be accessed through the ISP...and has, or they're in the process of getting it.

I’m confused as how some are saying the lack of evidence points towards her going somewhere willingly. I believe the lack of evidence points towards a random abduction.

Whenever someone goes willingly, there is almost always some sort of electronic trail of some sort. There would also probably be video surfacing of them stopping at stores for snacks or gas. You can see other random abductions that work out that way, such as the teacher that took the teenage girl a year or two ago.

If she was abducted suddenly by a stranger or slight acquaintance, there would be zero electronic evidence. There would be very little physical evidence. There would be zero video evidence because she was probably killed within 24 hours (probably less). And the body could literally be anywhere in the country.

I have seen several posts which mention lightning, but I have yet to find an authoritative post (maybe I missed it) that attributes that information to LE or someone from the co-op. Seems important.
I had seen the camera being out mentioned and asked about what happened yesterday, I believe, and someone replied it was either lightning or (?). I don't remember what the other possibility was. I don't know for a fact that the camera was out, or whether or not there was one, but if anyone does know the answer, I would very much like to know the source and if it is correct.

^^^This. The two biggest things that strike me are:
1) the missing jogging clothing and shoes which indicate she never finished her jog. The homework log in could have happened at any point before jog due to there being date stamp but no time stamp, as I recall reading somewhere. Not sure what to make of the Snapchat, but from reading how they work that could also have been sent earlier as I don’t think there’s been a reputable direct confirm from LE on time sent. I also don’t think a neighbor’s statement that LE told him that MT made it home from jog should be relied on as neighbor could have interpreted wrong and there has been no confirm from LE directly on that to my knowledge.

2) While it very well could be a stranger abduction on her run, I feel like if LE thought this was even a remote possibility, they would have warned the public, telling people to be aware of their surroundings when out, take precautions, etc. Yes they want to solve this case but they also have a duty to protect public and prevent other similar abductions from occurring. I have not seen LE do this in this case which would lead me to believe that they are pretty confident it is not random stranger.

I am new here following this case and it hits close to home. My hubby and I are both from Iowa and just spent 2 weeks last month with my kids visiting family across the state.

Welcome,

KarmaKazi.

Thanks for joining and for taking the time to share your well considered thoughts.

I hope you keep going on WS.

Karen MacLeod, great to have you here with your succinct take.

Last edited:
Work has kept me away from the threads for a few days, I have no hope of reading everything I've missed but the finding of the wallet would be huge. Does anyone have a link they could help me out with please
The wallet, ID, bankcard were all located at the BF house, as reported from the beginning. Nothing new here...

No, just the likely POI's if one vanishes or has an untimely / suspicious demise.

No, that would be highly misused by people who wanted their perceived enemies or hated family members to get into trouble after their death.

If you are scared of somebody, just tell someone or leave a note somewhere. Get a restraining order. Let police know you feel threatened.

I’m confused as how some are saying the lack of evidence points towards her going somewhere willingly. I believe the lack of evidence points towards a random abduction.

Whenever someone goes willingly, there is almost always some sort of electronic trail of some sort. There would also probably be video surfacing of them stopping at stores for snacks or gas. You can see other random abductions that work out that way, such as the teacher that took the teenage girl a year or two ago.

If she was abducted suddenly by a stranger or slight acquaintance, there would be zero electronic evidence. There would be very little physical evidence. There would be zero video evidence because she was probably killed within 24 hours (probably less). And the body could literally be anywhere in the country.

LE has reported they have obtained her electronic records and also that they are confident of their timeline. Just because LE has not released evidence to the public, doesn't mean they have none. MOO.

Mollie is a smart girl and being an avid runner I’m sure she was fully aware of all the risks that comes along with a woman jogging alone at night. Shes young and we all know young folks think they know everything and us adults don’t. Im sure she was at a comfortable level running alone at night for years as she never had a bad encounter. I think that night she was running happy and carefree looking forward to her trip and the wedding. She let her guard down and she wasn’t prepared for what happened and therefore vulnerable to a bad person. I pray she’s found soon and alive.
If you figure in the comfort of small-town familiarity you’ve got a completely different dynamic. There would likely be no hesitation to getting into a vehicle with somebody she thinks she knows and can trust.

Reward for Mollie Tibbetts' safe return now up to $332,000

DES MOINES - The current reward fund to bring Mollie Tibbetts home safely is at $332,253 as of noon today. 210 individual donors have contributed.

JMO
This is the highest reward amount I have seen in any case. Its gotten to the point it would be like hitting the lottery if someone was to claim it.

Since she is still not returned safely then it tells me either she is deceased already or the only people that really know where she is is the perp(s) themselves.

I think if anyone on the sidelines that was not responsible and knew she was still being held that they would come forward by now for this kind of money. Someone would turn in their own mother for that kind of money.

The other thing hard about rewards is most families would want news either way to find their relative whether deceased or not and I think the reason that is hardly ever done on a reward is because there is no good way to do it. Because if you say something like 50% of the reward if location of a body given then a perp and his friend may coordinate to go ahead and kill her and the sideline friend try to claim the reward saying he just stumbled upon a body while hunting or something.

There is one way I think a reward would have better success. Kind of like crimestoppers but it would have to be even better. Have some kind of system that would guarantee a person total anonymous and be able to still collect money. I dont think anyone has really come up with something that a shady individual would ever feel comfortable that they could get money and not be identified. If that was ever invented I think rewards would have more success.

I apologize if this has been addressed, but it’s been nagging at me. The brother said he messaged her about using the car (the night before I believe) and no response from Mollie...what I don’t understand is A.) is that typical that she doesn’t respond and no one follows up? I have 2 brothers and if we were sharing a car for the summer he would have at least messaged back and said “okay I’m taking it” or something. Maybe her brother did, but I guess I just think that would be something you would want an answer on and would follow up until you got one! B.)if she didn’t take the car how did she get to work; I’m doubting there is public transportation where she was; so did she walk, jog, ride a bike, did someone swing by and pick her up. I’ve not seen addressed anywhere how she typically got to work if she didn’t use the family car.
Which is leading down this road of what if someone who knew her schedule swung by unannounced to take her to work ( a friend also home from college, an old HS friend, maybe a co worker, but doubtful) under the whole “hey thought you might want a ride” type thing.

I know I’m rambling!! It’s really been bothering me.

This is a very important point,imo. Because LE does have a responsibility imo to warn the public if they suspect an active predator operating, especially nearby (of course there are always predators among us that we don’t know about). They will possiblyrelease this suspicion to the public should they have any inkling towards this in order to help get information from the public (maybe releasing a standard FBI profile, etc.).
And as I mentioned before imo a big giveaway is if they say “the community must remain vigilant.” (If you ever hear that, it is NOT good.)

So the fact that no active danger warning to the community possibly tells me that:

A) they have a poi under surveillance
B) do not suspect a random predator and/or suspect someone close to them which is maybe it maybe not related to a motive of SA
C) have no idea what the deal is (which in that case the possibility of a random predator still should be mentioned imo).

Any other possibilities?

BBM

This is a very good point and does differ from what Winker said (2nd press conference, I think?) which was that he would encourage everybody to just take some standard precautions and be cognizant of their surroundings. Further, he said, if you see something, say something. If you observe suspicious activity, don't be afraid to report it.

Last edited:

Going willingly - meaning she got in a car with someone she trusted, spur of the moment. That's my take when I theorize she left willingly.

M0000

Reagan Tokes was taken from the middle of downtown Columbus, a trendy little area known as the Short North. She walked out to her car around 9:45 pm and was abducted and apparently nobody saw a thing. If she fought back, there didn't seem to be any evidence of a struggle. She was forced into her own car, taken to ATMs to withdraw money, raped and murdered.

So I think that this seems like pretty weak evidence to construct a theory of willingly leaving on, that such a thing wouldn't happen when it clearly does. And I think it overlooks a lot of other things that argue against her being voluntarily gone.
I remember that case because I went for a drive in the Google car on that one too. (I do that a lot) The area behind the restaurant was a residential area...and it doesn’t look too friendly. So, basically, yes, if someone is abducted in a residential area, it can happen anywhere.

Did the home MT was at have Wifi, and assuming she connected her phone to that, and didn't have an unlimited data plan or tower coverage was spotty, would something like a router log show the times her phone,laptop connected to the network?
I would absolutely assume so and that LE has that factored into their timeline.

I apologize if this has been addressed, but it’s been nagging at me. The brother said he messaged her about using the car (the night before I believe) and no response from Mollie...what I don’t understand is A.) is that typical that she doesn’t respond and no one follows up? I have 2 brothers and if we were sharing a car for the summer he would have at least messaged back and said “okay I’m taking it” or something. Maybe her brother did, but I guess I just think that would be something you would want an answer on and would follow up until you got one! B.)if she didn’t take the car how did she get to work; I’m doubting there is public transportation where she was; so did she walk, jog, ride a bike, did someone swing by and pick her up. I’ve not seen addressed anywhere how she typically got to work if she didn’t use the family car.
Which is leading down this road of what if someone who knew her schedule swung by unannounced to take her to work ( a friend also home from college, an old HS friend, maybe a co worker, but doubtful) under the whole “hey thought you might want a ride” type thing.

I, too, have wondered what the backup plan was supposed to be in the event she didn't "need" the car. Again, though, I am just rolling with the assumption that they had the family had their system and apparently, it wasn't an immediate red flag that she didn't show up to eat brats, or didn't respond to her brother's text re: needing the car. So, I doubt its an important question to answer in terms of the investigation. However, you may be right that someone who has at least a cursory familiarity with this routine could have used it as an opportunity to give Mollie a ride...and things went south from there.

when I was a bit younger than Mollie I willingly got into a car with a man that said he would give me a lift. It was really hot and I had been waiting for a bus with groceries for a long time and I just wanted to get home.

I dont know why I got in.. the moment I did he drove the wrong way. The car was rigged so I couldn't escape, but I did...for the life of me I will never know why I got in that car.

years of hitch hiking with friends around our neighborhood, I don't know , just a moment of WRONG.

He was going to rape and murder me, he told me so. I broke his nose, he tried to run me over..I got away.

just a split second of weakness. MOO

Thank God you did! Life lesson learned right there. Your post hit me because I did the same stupid thing. My friends and I used to hitchhike to a park that was in town. It was the 70's and people just did. Here were were 2 or 3 blonde girls in tiny denim shorts and believe it or not, bathing suit tops! How STUPID were we.

We never had a problem until one day a guy pulled up in a camaro. It obviously had only 2 doors and me and another friend climbed in the back and the last girl sat in front with the driver. A guy in his late 30's I'd say. As we were driving he turned to my friend and also looked at us in the rearview mirror. He asked us how smart it was for three pretty girls to be hitchhiking and told us you have no idea who I am do you. My heart started pounding and it finally dawned on me that I was trapped in the back with NO way to get out. No window to lower to jump out. NOTHING. There was absolute dead silence in the car and my friend looked back at us and motioned like she was going to open the door and be ready to jump out. He saw this and said listen, I am a police officer. He reached into his pocket and pulled out his wallet that had his badge on it. He said I DID try to attempt to scare you to get you girls to see this is really a dumb thing to do. I could be a bad guy and I would have three pretty girls right now that I can take anywhere I wanted to. Needless to say even seeing his badge at that point I was NOT convinced we were safe. He did what he set out to do. Scare the heck out of us and make us understand you need to THINK before you do things.

There is a funny conclusion to this but has nothing to do with the story. Let's just say NONE of us ever hitchhiked again. After this happened to us there were a lot of "missing" hitchhikers out west in the 70's. Their stories did not end well. It really was a turning point in society at that time. We went from Leave it To Beaver to Helter Skelter in a short period of time. I really miss those simpler times where you could pretty much trust your neighbor.

Great question and it has come up here before. What was the typical way she got to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB