Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #22

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One other possible significant thing about her being home alone---no other cars or work trucks in the driveway. That could have signaled to a stranger, who had followed her home, that there was no one else hime at the time.
It also could be that someone overheard her or someone close to her mentioning that she would be staying at the house dog sitting because everyone else would be away.

Last edited:
Sorry I think I need my own rant now. I apologize in advance for anyone who might be offended by my comments because they are not meant to offend ANYONE.

I will stick my neck out here and even say that every 20 year old person today is aware of Tinder and how it is used. I live in a multi college area and my daughter's friends range in age from 19-25. College aged students. My daughter is in college. Every one of them has played on Tinder creating false account out of CURIOSITY. They are 20 for goodness sakes and are curious! I have no doubt at that age if it were available I myself would have been curious enough to make a fake account to try it out. These girls do it for fun and laugh about their results together. These are not skid row, trashy girls, they are wonderful girls from wealthy families for the most part. Just curious.

I am a realist who is open and honest to discussing all REALISTIC possibilities and this IS one....

Rant over...

As far as your daughters and their friends are concerned, just because they are curious and seemingly unconcerned about contacting strangers on what are basically hookup sites is what every single predator is looking for. I don't know, maybe you might want to mention that the next time they are "curious".

I don't think it's very kind to imply that if a girl is from a poor or non-wealthy family they are trashy or from skid row. I winced when I read that. There are plenty of criminal, badly behaving people from "wonderful wealthy families". This is the time to be caring about actual human beings, not pretending to be someone else just for kicks. It may be a trend among this generation, but so was smoking once. Just because they are doing something does not make it healthy. And I am not referring to Mollies' social media patterns, because from what I saw they were very, very tame and conservative.

This is very true. I've always been interested in abnormal psychology. The whole nature vs nurture thing I think is generally misunderstood. Often people will say well he this SK or that was mistreated by his mom growing up and grew up to hate women etc but reality is if someone is not wired correctly they could grow up in the Cleaver's household and still end up committing horrific crimes. The condition already exists in the individual. Their childhood experiences can be factors in how they act out as adults as abusive childhoods can and do exacerbate one's present and future behavior but are not necessarily the root cause of it.

What I found extremely interesting is that many attorney's and politicians in fact share similar personality traits to psychopaths. It is very common for both attorney's/politicians/psychopaths to be narcissists. The very traits that allow them to seek out these jobs are the very ones that allow them to effectively perform in their jobs. This particular combination of traits in a person allows them the ability to disconnect from shared human emotion and not concern themselves with the havoc their actions cause on not only society as a whole but the individual as well. I say disconnect because there is proof that functioning psychopaths can indeed feel some emotion it just isn't the normal wide range that most people are born equipped with. Their emotions are very limited and almost exclusively self serving. Harm done to them can cause them to feel and express emotion such as crying and pain but it usually segues into rage or the need to act out to kill that emotion. Very, very complex individuals when you study their motivations/behaviors and actions. So unlike the average person.

That is why profiling came to be. Normal people attempt to try to solve crimes by using logic exclusively. These people are not normal nor are they logical so in order to understand them you have to think like them. I recall one of the first profilers, not sure if it was John Douglas or this other guy whose last name started with an S but I can't recall it now, said that in order to solve these crimes you must put yourself into the killers mindset. Doing that over and over again is mentally exhausting and does have an effect on your own mental health. I thought that was interesting and it makes sense. If you have to live in crazy people's minds day in and day out, doesn't that make it the norm for you. Scary if you really think about that. How do you shut it off when it's time to go home to your wife and kids.
Narcissists have to be on some sort of spectrum, which as far as I have read has yet to be determined and just that personality disorder alone is complex enough to make my head spin.

where/what is your theory?
I posted it above. Sorry. I'll post it again. My theory is that that LE has enough video surveillance to know the who. They have a great timeline and know the when. They just don't know where Mollie is and they want to bring her home for family closure. That's why they aren't giving out any info on anything.

If I was MT mother, I would demand LE to tell me the # of steps from the fitbit app and I would retrace her steps in every dam direction from the BF house and place a flag/marker and start looking/digging/smelling etc. to find a trace of evidence of MT. I would be out there with lights, crawling on my knees with tweezers looking through grass or dirt or whatever... Every single day I would count those # of steps and walk and keep walking/looking until I found her or a trace of her left.

The only reason I am still open to the possibility, although it is not my main one, is that I have seen many examples of cold cases, where years later, they found out the perp was a total stranger---an opportunity predator.

Many of these cases were not solved for years. And boyfriends and ex husbands and creepy neighbors were often the prime suspects, but not enough evidence to be charged.

Then later on, through weird coincidences, they would find it was a passerby, seeing a woman taking out her dogs alone at night, or seeing a young woman through an open window, and seizing the opportunity to kill and escape.

So I cannot rule out the slight possibility, that she was seen jogging, and was grabbed by a serial predator. I know it is a small town. But evil people find their way to small safe towns way too often.
This is absolutely true and certainly a viable theory. Law enforcement, families, and the community believe that a particular person committed a particular crime, only to be proven wrong by DNA evidence decades later. Sometimes it simply is a random crime perpetrated by a complete stranger.

Narcissists have to be on some sort of spectrum, which as far as I have read has yet to be determined and just that personality disorder alone is complex enough to make my head spin.
I've often thought that, too. Degrees of that disorder- character disorder? biological brain issue? both?- are so prevalent, imho, in my country (U.S.).

There was an accident in the 60's at the Corning plant in NY where an employee transported hydroflouric acid in a large glass container .. It ate through the glass and poured onto his torso where in ate through until it reached Calcium(bones) he passed away.

In the olden days, when Websleuths was a toddler, people would say "Gruesome Comment" before writing about hydrofluoric acid eating someone to death. Some would then scroll by. Cheers.

If my fitbit alarm is set for 6 am to vibrate but my phone died at 3 am my fitbit will still vibrate at 6 am. Phone off doesn’t turn the fitbit off.

Edit.. the fitbit alarm clock is setup through fitbit app not the actual phone alarm clock every phone comes with... If i had my phone alarm clock set, it wouldn’t sync to my fitbit and alert me. It’s solely a fitbit alarm clock option.
I am wondering more about the GPS location tracking. I have had a Fitbit in the past and I realize it stays on without a phone and continues to record data but where does that information go if the phone is destroyed or dead? I recall others saying that if the device isn't paired to a phone there is no way for LE to get the data from the Fitbit device Mollie was wearing.

If the above is true, then I would assume Mollie could have still been wearing the device without the perp realizing it had GPS tracking but I would think the phone was disposed of rendering the information from the Fitbit useless after it lost contact with the phone.

I cannot recall exactly, but speculation was that 'signal' was coming from South of Brooklyn along HWY 21. Area was searched, albeit with the problems discussed here. Nothing.

Thus, a perp disposed of the obvious digital clues. Now what? Continue further south? Double back? Head out on I-80?

I am speculating that someone who knows enough to jettison the digital info now knows enough to use that misdirection. So evidence is not going to come from that area on 21 (with it's spotty LTE coverage).

Last edited:
For those still in the stranger abduction court, can you explain why? Also, by stranger abduction, I mean absolute stranger, like immediate attack or grab and run... not someone she’d seen or spoken to a couple of times and would feel ok taking a “friendly ride” from. I just feel that this isn’t an absolute stranger, just like dad said, someone thought something... felt something... probably inaccurately, and got in over their head. But without more info, I’m open to possibilities, so stranger abduction folks, what does your gut say?
Look at the Karina Vetrano case. A completely random guy who she had never met killed her jogging close to her home. Yes her body was found very quickly, but not the killer. He was found months later through a random stop and frisk report.

I posted it above. Sorry. I'll post it again. My theory is that that LE has enough video surveillance to know the who. They have a great timeline and know the when. They just don't know where Mollie is and they want to bring her home for family closure. That's why they aren't giving out any info on anything.

Dear Cardinal47,

Thank you for sharing your theory. Your posts have been such an integral part of these threads. I've appreciated reading them as they've been compassionate as well as greatly insightful!

I agree. Moo.

What I found extremely interesting is that many attorney's and politicians in fact share similar personality traits to psychopaths. It is very common for both attorney's/politicians/psychopaths to be narcissists. The very traits that allow them to seek out these jobs are the very ones that allow them to effectively perform in their jobs..

The most recent study I read was by a Neuroscientist who diagnosed his own psychopathic disorder. One of the conclusions was that it's not just the fact that attorneys and politicians share some of the traits of psychopaths and sociopaths, but that they are in fact sociopaths and psychopaths who are just not violent and have found a proper outlet for themselves. The man who diagnosed himself was James Fallon, who if he was not Psychopathic, would probably have found it humorous he has the same name as a comedian. You can see the article here on MSM, and if the link doesn't work for some, it's an ABC program called All In The Mind:

Child psychopaths and the man who diagnosed his own psychopathy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member