Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree that an abduction of a runner during daylight in a residential area is brazen, but it happens. There have been unsuccessful ones where the victim got away and/or someone was there to witness it. Then there are the unfortunate times that the perp is lucky and gets away with it without a witness. I guess it's a risk they are willing to take? (Hard to put yourself in their mind frame, as I would never try to abduct someone to begin with).

If something happened on her run, (and I say this with the caveat that obviously I don't know Mollie), I have a hard time seeing her getting in to someone's car to go do something else. Even if she knew them, even if she knew them well. She had just started her run and to just stop the run to go somewhere? I don't know; I suppose if they said there was an emergency, she might. The longer this goes on, the more I lean toward a stranger or near-stranger (someone who she may have been aware of but not known well).

We’ve been lead to believe that the dogs were in their normal state, and undisturbed. I also haven’t heard that there was evidence of them having been “freshly fed.”

I would think if someone violently took her from the house, the dogs would have scratched the heck out of the door separating them. It doesn't sound like that was the case or else they would have probably counted as the house being disturbed.

this is not a possibility with Snapchat. Snap is a mobile based app which is mostly aimed towards sending a photo/selfie of a moment in time that literally lasts (I think) 15-30 seconds to the receiver. If they choose they can replay the snap. (I use Snapchat a lot... more so than I should admit)

I used to use Snapchat a lot when it first came out. I think it's important to understand like EmilyVan said it's a unique app where you just take pictures of your ordinary day and send them to all your friends. It's not meant to convey anything important, and many people snap tens of times a day. People snap their commutes, walks to work, birds, sunrises, sunsets, funny faces, something funny on TV. On the weekends people will snap every second of a party or concert. It's not similar to Facebook where you might post your engagement pictures or new baby photos. It's just boring monotonous everyday things. A way to keep in touch with your friends without texting "hey what's up?". I'm sure people send rowdy private messages and you can tell sometimes who is having too much fun at a party, but most people are blasting out continuous boring pictures to everyone on their list (or to their story).

So I don't think it's odd at all for DJ to say he doesn't really remember what was in the snap - it was likely one of thousands he received from Mollie, and he expected to receive thousands more.

I’m surprised Mollie was happy there being she was a CA girl who grew up living in Oakland. Its completely 360° from Brooklyn. I used to work in Oakland as an outside sales rep for a cosmetic company in my 20’s. I did a lot of traveling daily for my job in the Bay Area mostly Oakland, Pleasanton, Walnut Creek, San Jose and San Francisco. There are so many fun, trendy places for a gal her age. I’m surprised she isn’t living near her Dad they seem to be very close. I wonder if she was truly happy living in Brooklyn surrounded by pig farms. I believe I read she’s getting her degree in psychology. I wonder if she had any plans after graduation to leave the state? Why did she leave Oakland in the first place? I’m surprised shes not living with or near her Dad in CA. Maybe her Mom wants her close. I moved up to be near an old BF in Big Bear Lake, CA it was nice for awhile but I commuted 2 hrs every morning to college in Orange County. I just could not take it anymore living in the mountains, it was nice for awhile. I got to waterski every morning before heading off to school and snow ski in the winter. People were friendly but I hated how all the people were so darn snoopy and gossiped about everything and everybody. Plus false rumors would be started that were not true. I had to get out of there and never looked back. I wonder if MT ever felt trapped and wanted to move somewhere else?

Most of the cases of women abducted or assaulted while jogging happen during the day. A woman in Bridgewater, MA was assaulted while jogging at 7:30am on a sunny residential street. Look at the surveillance video - right in front of houses with white picket fences. It happens.

SURVEILLANCE VIDEO: Man Attempts to Kidnap, Assault Jogger
I definitely agree that it happens during the day...the Rachel Cooke disappearance springs to mind. I don't believe that most abductions occur on residential streets in daylight due to the perp's increased odds of being seen/caught. In the case you linked, for example, at least two witnesses tried to help, one running over to the woman being attacked and the other chasing the suspect in his vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to use Snapchat a lot when it first came out. I think it's important to understand like EmilyVan said it's a unique app where you just take pictures of your ordinary day and send them to all your friends. It's not meant to convey anything important, and many people snap tens of times a day. People snap their commutes, walks to work, birds, sunrises, sunsets, funny faces, something funny on TV. On the weekends people will snap every second of a party or concert. It's not similar to Facebook where you might post your engagement pictures or new baby photos. It's just boring monotonous everyday things. A way to keep in touch with your friends without texting "hey what's up?". I'm sure people send rowdy private messages and you can tell sometimes who is having too much fun at a party, but most people are blasting out continuous boring pictures to everyone on their list (or to their story).

So I don't think it's odd at all for DJ to say he doesn't really remember what was in the snap - it was likely one of thousands he received from Mollie, and he expected to receive thousands more.

This made me chuckle. I’ve received 3 snaps while perusing this thread. None of them memorable!

Right, but if they (family) knew to expect any of those scenarios they would have known by, say, 8am that something was wrong when she hadn't gotten the car. Family not starting the search early in the day implied they hadn't expected her to come get the car, OR that she was often so changeable in her plans that the car not getting picked up by MT didn't set off any red flags even if they had thought she was intending to come get it.

JT was up late that night, per his Twitter activity, so his text to MT in the morning may have been prior to his sleeping. It's a possibility that he sent the text and went to bed (or back to sleep) and didn't take note of the nonresponse until he awoke. So, in his case, her lack of response probably didn't even get noticed until after he received the call from DJ.

We’ve been lead to believe that the dogs were in their normal state, and undisturbed. I also haven’t heard that there was evidence of them having been “freshly fed.”

With my guys (1 big Catahoula and 2 small terrier mixes) I used a Bistro feeder and waterer, they look like a little office water cooler bottle and would hold several days of food and at least a day of water which I would change daily. They were OK free feeding. No where have I heard a definitive statement about the feeding arrangements for the dogs MT was sitting. Did they free feed, or were there timed interval feedings. One of my guys was peculiar, in that he would go to the kitchen, get one piece of kibble, walk to the living room, lay on the rug, eat the one bit of food, and then do it again! Can't tell a darn thing, with the lack of definitive detail available in this situation!

I've seen numerous people post this so this isn't directed at you Mom24, but why does everyone think he was arrested? The article only says he was kicked out of school. Is there an article about the arrest? Or a record from LE that I could look up? Thanks!
It's sloppy on my part, but you're right, he wasn't held and wasn't under arrest. Complaints were filed, he was brought in once on the 8th (according to campus police reports) and it's now "inactive". Complaints were also filed at Iowa City and those are being investigated as well as previous complaints filed in April 2018 and Dec 2017. Not sure why the campus investigation is "inactive", I'm assuming Iowa City took over since the complaint was filed by a female that is not a student at the University.

you just take pictures of your ordinary day and send them to all your friends. It's not meant to convey anything important
So true. My son is almost 16 and he shows me the snaps he sends while we're, just, watching Live PD (for example). His snaps to his homies are FREQUENT and sometimes sideways shots of our TV with a random caption - JUST for the sake of continuing the "conversation".

IF she was working on a paper for her summer class she would likely be using a program such as Word or Google Docs. I’d be interested in knowing when the last auto-save time was on the file and/or if she saved the file and shut down the laptop.

I'm trying to include a link but everything tech says otherwise. Great article in USA today about putting Snapchat on your Mac or pc and the benefits, which include scheduling messages.

You can Google 'send Snapchat from computer' for details on your own. I don't want to get too far off base here.

I’m fairly certain the only thing you can schedule in advance on Snapchat is a story, not an individual snap like the only MT sent to her boyfriend. You have to have another app or program separate from Snapchat. It’s what marketers use to post ads and whatnot.

Was it said somewhere that they were freshly fed? I don’t recall reading that, but there have been so many articles, it’s difficukt to keep up.

I have 3 dogs. I feed them in the morning and evening, but it’s not uncommon for them to ignore the food and eat when they get hungry.
It didn't say, but for all we know they had food and water towers. Or like some dogs are only fed once a day.

With my guys (1 big Catahoula and 2 small terrier mixes) I used a Bistro feeder and waterer, they look like a little office water cooler bottle and would hold several days of food and at least a day of water which I would change daily. They were OK free feeding. No where have I heard a definitive statement about the feeding arrangements for the dogs MT was sitting. Did they free feed, or were there timed interval feedings. One of my guys was peculiar, in that he would go to the kitchen, get one piece of kibble, walk to the living room, lay on the rug, eat the one bit of food, and then do it again! Can't tell a darn thing, with the lack of definitive detail available in this situation!

Very true.

Haaaaa. You’re exactly right, the lack of detail isn’t conducive to forming a coherent theory. I’m just taking the statement that indicated the dogs were in their normal state, at face value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member