Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed. I believe she came upon her trouble at the driveway of the house. As a dog owner when my dogs are "put away" and I come home the first thing I do is bring them out. It's just routine.

Although I am disturbed by the comments that the dogs were in perfect condition, freshly fed. If Mollie never made it home from the jog that means the dogs were "put away" from 7-730 in the evening until late in the afternoon the next day? No scratches at the door, no upturned food bowls ---and I'm not talking about eating, my dogs don't eat when I'm gone---but they do get bored when left for a long time. It just doesn't make sense to me. Then I find myself wondering if she was taken in the morning as she headed out the door to go to her mom's to get the car for work. I keep going back and forth.

Everyone's "routine" is different, what makes sense for one person, another wouldn't do. I keep my dogs put away also, and while I usually let them out first thing, sometimes I don't. If I have groceries or something else I don't want them getting into, or if someone is coming in with me, they stay up until it's safe. She could have let someone she knew in with her when she came back from a run and kept the dogs in the basement thinking she would let them out when the person left.
But like you pointed out, the dogs were fed and in good condition and that makes me think something happened in the early morning. Just moo, all speculation, toss it in the speculation pile with everything else :rolleyes:

I wouldn't describe it as negotiating but if they have a person of interest or a suspect, they've likely conducted a number of interviews (with or without an attorney) to get enough information for an arrest warrant. What the person says can also provide leads to physical evidence. LE is going to keep this under wraps particularly if they're still trying to piece together evidence to know what happened. IF there is a POI, and that POI does have an attorney, the attorney is probably working with him or her to understand the situation and advise of potential consequences.
And there must, even in this day & age, be ways of communicating with LE without LE knowing ones precise location.

Everyone's "routine" is different, what makes sense for one person, another wouldn't do. I keep my dogs put away also, and while I usually let them out first thing, sometimes I don't. If I have groceries or something else I don't want them getting into, or if someone is coming in with me, they stay up until it's safe. She could have let someone she knew in with her when she came back from a run and kept the dogs in the basement thinking she would let them out when the person left.
But like you pointed out, the dogs were fed and in good condition and that makes me think something happened in the early morning. Just moo, all speculation, toss it in the speculation pile with everything else :rolleyes:
You make a good point here about everyone’s routine being different. Once again, this goes to the notion of “getting to know Mollie.” What was normal for her?

PC with nothing to report, then 2 cancelled PCs, no evidence leaked, no leads from LE. Here’s one I’m going to try on for you fellow WSers: LE is negotiating with whoever took Mollie, perhaps thru an attorney, to turn himself in. Terms may include leading police to Mollie in exchange for leniency. Plausible?
That is plausible and especially so if a minor is possibly involved.

This talk of "negotiating" makes me think of Bruce Willis in The Fifth Element. It also makes me think - what would I do if I had Mollie held captive right now? I can think of over 300,000 reason$ I'd want to get her returned safely, but I'd also be trying to find a way to not be going to jail. So yeah, I'd be trying to find an attorney to negotiate Mollie's safe return, anonymously claim that reward money, and figure out something so I wouldn't go to jail.

I’m surprised Mollie was happy there being she was a CA girl who grew up living in Oakland. Its completely 360° from Brooklyn.
Yes, she moved a long way from Oakland. She moved to Iowa when I believe she was in 2nd grade. So Iowa is where she grew up. It sounds like she did visit her dad but its not clear how often the kids went back to CA as they were growing up.

It's sloppy on my part, but you're right, he wasn't held and wasn't under arrest. Complaints were filed, he was brought in once on the 8th (according to campus police reports) and it's now "inactive". Complaints were also filed at Iowa City and those are being investigated as well as previous complaints filed in April 2018 and Dec 2017. Not sure why the campus investigation is "inactive", I'm assuming Iowa City took over since the complaint was filed by a female that is not a student at the University.
I missed this, who are you talking about please?

I have seen the video, but I haven’t watched it closely enough to make a determination of where a roadside abduction likely could have occurred. If we are going with the likely scenario that she went jogging before dark, then pretty much any roadside abduction is still pretty brazen. Screams travel, and suspicious vehicles can be spotted. I know we’re talking about a pretty sparsely populated town, but you can never count on someone not driving by as you attempt to attack an unsuspecting jogger, or even offer this jogger a ride. I’m totally perplexed.

I'm completely baffled also, primarily b/c of the risks (to the attacker) in a roadside abduction...if she was forced involuntarily into a vehicle, the perp would have had to have stopped the vehicle either along a road or in a road...who isn't going to notice that? Even if she stopped to get into a vehicle voluntarily with someone during her jog, there's still a risk of being seen by a passing motorist, at the very least. That reward being as high as it is would have brought ANYBODY out of the woodwork who thought they had seen anything even remotely suspicious that evening.

I think those factors, along with what is missing and what left behind, proves she never came back from her run. Jmo
I'm with you.

Abduction location possibilities IMO
• Inside the house < 10%
• Driveway to house as she returned from her run 10%
• Somewhere along her run -- perhaps in the direction of the hog farm 90%

Agreed. I believe she came upon her trouble at the driveway of the house. As a dog owner when my dogs are "put away" and I come home the first thing I do is bring them out. It's just routine.

Although I am disturbed by the comments that the dogs were in perfect condition, freshly fed. If Mollie never made it home from the jog that means the dogs were "put away" from 7-730 in the evening until late in the afternoon the next day? No scratches at the door, no upturned food bowls ---and I'm not talking about eating, my dogs don't eat when I'm gone---but they do get bored when left for a long time. It just doesn't make sense to me. Then I find myself wondering if she was taken in the morning as she headed out the door to go to her mom's to get the car for work. I keep going back and forth.
This is good. The truth is, we don't know a thing about the dogs or the condition of the house. Not ultimately. One or two or more things could have been amiss, & LE did not let that be known. The boyfriend could have provided LE with details that he thought unimportant- maybe even about the dogs- details that LE interpreted very differently. I guess I'm taking so much with a grain of salt at this point. There could have been those signs of boredom for all we know. Despite what has or has not been said in the mass media or by LE publicly.

This talk of "negotiating" makes me think of Bruce Willis in The Fifth Element. It also makes me think - what would I do if I had Mollie held captive right now? I can think of over 300,000 reason$ I'd want to get her returned safely, but I'd also be trying to find a way to not be going to jail. So yeah, I'd be trying to find an attorney to negotiate Mollie's safe return, anonymously claim that reward money, and figure out something so I wouldn't go to jail.

It remind me more of National Treasure when Cage's Ben Gates character says, "Is there a door that doesn't lead to prison?" :-)

This is of course contingent upon Mollie being alive. If she was taken as part of a sexually motivated plot, this is unlikely. And no perpetrator is going to release Mollie for any reason, unless they want to spend the rest of their life in jail.

I used to use Snapchat a lot when it first came out. I think it's important to understand like EmilyVan said it's a unique app where you just take pictures of your ordinary day and send them to all your friends. It's not meant to convey anything important, and many people snap tens of times a day. People snap their commutes, walks to work, birds, sunrises, sunsets, funny faces, something funny on TV. On the weekends people will snap every second of a party or concert. It's not similar to Facebook where you might post your engagement pictures or new baby photos. It's just boring monotonous everyday things. A way to keep in touch with your friends without texting "hey what's up?". I'm sure people send rowdy private messages and you can tell sometimes who is having too much fun at a party, but most people are blasting out continuous boring pictures to everyone on their list (or to their story).

So I don't think it's odd at all for DJ to say he doesn't really remember what was in the snap - it was likely one of thousands he received from Mollie, and he expected to receive thousands more.

Alethea, so it's sorta like Skype.

You make a good point here about everyone’s routine being different. Once again, this goes to the notion of “getting to know Mollie.” What was normal for her?

Even a very strict routine follower does something out of the ordinary every now and again. This could be the one time she didn't follow routine and "something happened".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member