Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
HLN news just said they would cover the news conference live when it happens
I was about to say the same thing. If you have to watch it on tv, watch HLN. CNN and Fox may break in to cover it, but they will likely pull away before it is over. HLN will cover it in its entirety.

I wonder if they have an "Alexa"? Mine tells me where my phone was last seen. Even if it is turned off, it will say where it was last active.

I was wondering about OnStar. The car satellite tracking system. Even if you don't have a subscription, it still tracks vehicles. Well, GM vehicles.

Those are the ones I wear but I have dry eyes and still take them out every night before going to bed. If I don't they irritate my eyes. My doctor told me that is common.
What would matter more is if her contacts were in the case with solution. That would mean she had taken them out, therefore likely made it home and later left in a hurry.
ETA Judging from her SM photos lately, she does seem to wear her glasses quite often, so she may have issues wearing contacts.

Glasses are almost a fashion statement these days. They are "cool" again. My girls, who both wear contacts, would not have been caught out wearing their glasses in high school but now they both have multiple pairs of cute, quirky glasses. It could be that she is doing the same? Who knows. I realize that some do not find this topic worthwhile, but you just never know what small detail could be important.

I agree that it would matter a great deal if her contacts were in the case with solution. It could indicate that she was in for the night.

My guess is that her family knows exactly what type lenses she wears and if she wore overnight lenses they would not have mentioned her lenses being left behind. JMO.
Do they still prescribe those? My sister wore those 30 years ago. My lenses can be slept in but my eye doc frowns on it and does not recommend it.

I don't know. I have worn contacts and glasses for 50 years. No one in my family would know a thing about the type, how long they can be worn, or how to care for them. It's between the ophthalmologist or optometrist and the person.

Again, depending upon the type, people can get boxes of contacts. (btw I find the new ones rip easily)

Welcome to small towns in Iowa

Pretty much the same thing happened after Lizzy and Lyric went missing. I still don't see people outside in Elk Run/Evansdale like I did prior to their disappearance. Kids used to always be at the park/riding their bikes. A few weeks ago when I was in the area, I literally walked all over the area and didn't see a single soul other than a person in their car playing Pokemon Go (which made me feel uneasy, for obvious reasons).

Bringing this over from the last thread :) Hi, @SharonNeedles, thanks for the tour! That large group of trees along the road at W. 2nd, is that at the intersection of Orchard & 2nd? Thanks!
I believe you’re talking about this? 2nd Street become Historic Hwy 6 West of Jackson where it intersects with Orchard

Attachments

• 427912DC-BA29-4B85-B8B9-A6E0532E3B99.jpeg
    427912DC-BA29-4B85-B8B9-A6E0532E3B99.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 23
I will say the police in Iowa City, at least, do take stalking seriously and will show up immediately and act on it, esp. if you have documentation with them, as I had. Then they will remove that person from your presence, depending.

I'm rdg some posts here today that shock me, but I understand I was naive as a teenager on through at least my early 20s. Several public encounters I'm rdg here are common experiences if you are female in America. Mollie may or may not have been aware it's a bright red flag if an unknown male comes up & starts talking smack about your looks. *Any* comment is a problem for me if I don't know you prior.

I think for me, anyway, the Q. regards how much any woman is willing to suffer a fool in public. A few seconds? A few minutes? You going to let him talk at you an hour? Or are you ok with getting called a by men? I'll go with "", Monty, behind the door that says I'm safe because I protected my body space, etc. Read The Gift of Fear, and any time a male you don't know approaches you out of the blue in public, get your antennae up. Especially parking lots.

Yes, females can have bad intent, too. And btw I'm constantly referred to as friendly, outgoing, very nice, helps anybody, etc. However, I'm also proud to get called a when the sitch clearly calls for my reacting a certain way. Girls aren't taught how to navigate public. I hope Mollie was. Good luck, ladies. T-45 minutes.

I will say the police in Iowa City, at least, do take stalking seriously and will show up immediately and act on it, esp. if you have documentation with them, as I had. Then they will remove that person from your presence, depending.

I'm rdg some posts here today that shock me, but I understand I was naive as a teenager on through at least my early 20s. Several public encounters I'm rdg here are common experiences if you are female in America. Mollie may or may not have been aware it's a bright red flag if an unknown male comes up & starts talking smack about your looks. *Any* comment is a problem for me if I don't know you prior.

I think for me, anyway, the Q. regards how much any woman is willing to suffer a fool in public. A few seconds? A few minutes? You going to let him talk at you an hour? Or are you ok with getting called a ***** by men? I'll go with "*****", Monty, behind the door that says I'm safe because I protected my body space, etc. Read The Gift of Fear, and any time a male you don't know approaches you out of the blue in public, get your antennae up. Especially parking lots.

Yes, females can have bad intent, too. And btw I'm constantly referred to as friendly, outgoing, very nice, helps anybody, etc. However, I'm also proud to get called a ***** when the sitch clearly calls for my reacting a certain way. Girls aren't taught how to navigate public. I hope Mollie was. Good luck, ladies. T-45 minutes.

In Iowa, two episodes of stalking can result in arrest, and a trial. Only two.

Uhhhhh if the press is everywhere, where are the interviews and updates???
With nobody anywhere I would think if one person heads outside that sneaky press guy will nab him then he will end up on SM as a suspect. It happens...ask the guy that said "I saw Mollie run by my house". Heck they even searched his home for heavens sake.

Unfortunately, the CSI effect (of overhyped TV whiz-bang forensic science) presented in a 60 minute crime drama setting makes people want to believe in Star Trek tech that can scan for "life signs" from orbit. That Science Fiction world is set 250 years in the future. Current aviation and telecommunication tech is a bit over a 100 years old, the Space Age is around 60 years old. There are fantastic things that we can now do, and our abilities are increasing at an incredible rate, but there are limits to our current tech. There is an old saying that "old age and treachery will always defeat youth and skill". Our current tech is good, but unrefined when compared to the 10's of thousands of years that humankind has had to develop the skills of skullduggary, deceit, guile and even murder. We are, unfortunately or fortunately, still bound to the needs of human skills of observation and the lucky break to find an answer. Or to at least narrow the search down to a scale that our current tech can deal with!
And however good tech gets, it will never compete with a human's gut instinct. Yeah, just remembering to take it srsly.

I think I’m more fearful of never finding her at all and the case going cold. I don’t know why I’m so interested in this case. Maybe it’s because I’m a mom or a runner but I can’t stop checking for updates. I’m holding out hope that they find her alive.

Same here, mother of two daughters, one of which runs marathons and trains daily (and also listens to podcasts while she runs). I held out hope for the first two weeks but it's been steadily draining this past week.

I think for me, anyway, the Q. regards how much any woman is willing to suffer a fool in public. A few seconds? A few minutes? You going to let him talk at you an hour? Or are you ok with getting called a ***** by men? I'll go with "*****", Monty, behind the door that says I'm safe because I protected my body space, etc. Read The Gift of Fear, and any time a male you don't know approaches you out of the blue in public, get your antennae up. Especially parking lots.

Yes, females can have bad intent, too. And btw I'm constantly referred to as friendly, outgoing, very nice, helps anybody, etc. However, I'm also proud to get called a ***** when the sitch clearly calls for my reacting a certain way. Girls aren't taught how to navigate public. I hope Mollie was. Good luck, ladies. T-45 minutes.
EVERYONE should read that book, “The Gift of Fear,” by Gavin DeBecker. It’s in the Kindle Unlimited store for free, (if you have it). It just might save your life.

Moo
I agree too much emphasis has been put on her contacts being left behind. My guess is that she still had in the ones she wore to work. Also, I think too much emphasis on plans to get to work the next day. My guess is that she was going to pick up the car that she shared with her brother, when she went to her mom's house to eat a brat. I imagine her keys were there with the car.
IMO these plans were changed by whatever happened to Mollie. I feel that she disappeared late in the evening and I don't think she left voluntarily.
I'm kind of wondering if her case status has been upgraded from missing person to abduction? Moo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member