Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think perp must be local, also

"A large reward is being offered for information leading to the recovery of Mollie."

You maybe remember before it said “safe return” of Mollie

Pastilla said:
"I thought the same. Talking to your dad for three hours when everything is great in your life (and his?) ... Not impossible, but certainly not typical ..."

Marie224 said:

I posted an article earlier and Dad explained, they were used to having long conversations, weekly, because that's how he co-parented from a distance/California and how he kept up his relationship/bond with his 3 children after the divorce. He didn't talk to them every day but when he did connect with them, it was a meaningful conversation.

I'd only add to Marie224's reply that these days they probably are not having an actual phone call. It's more common among people to FT with people so you can actually see them. I could see them doing this, especially RT since he wants to feel a part of their lives. All three kids are probably there sitting around have a family conversation together vs a one on one with dad speaking individually with each kid. When you think of it that way, it's like the family spending an afternoon together so 3 hours is not long at all.

Owutatangledweb said:
After viewing sharonneedles videos, I'm in line with MrTs opinion about looking for a Truck or someone who bought a lot of beer or alcohol that night or within the days before. The only trucks I can imagine going through there are grain trucks. The town had a fairly large grain elevator. sharonneedles can correct that assumption if I'm wrong but that's what it looked like

LE can't and won't assume to look exclusively for grain haulers. The highway 80 I believe it is called is actually a highly traveled trucking route so long haul/cross country truckers carrying various hauls would be aware of it and frequent it. That is what makes that particular possibility very overwhelming when you consider the transporting that goes on during that area on any given day. It is not just the truckers with full loads but you could have truckers ahead of schedule on a pick up or drivers that have already unloaded and hanging around that might do a layover there.

Someone on the last thread made a comment that they are paid to do this job. I can't believe some people believe this. Not only local LE but that of all the other agencies involved DO have a vested interest in bringing this investigation to a conclusion. For goodness sakes folks, these are people we are talking about here. They have wives and kids and family members. They entered LE to SERVE AND PROTECT not just THEIR family but your's as well. They signed up for this. Do not forget that some agencies actually were not asked to join the investigation but volunteered to assist. That is not just someone doing their job. That is up and beyond the call.

Over the years I have had close friendships with several in LE at various levels local and federal and I can honestly say that I have no doubt in my mind some of those men and women go home at night unable to sleep and are willing and do put in extra hours to solve this. Remember you and I can walk away at any time. They can't and are not. They are living and breathing this case and any other one they work on the entire time. Not to mention the cases that end sadly. One of my investigators I knew worked personally on the Martha Moxley case when it happened. He remained tortured about it for the 30 years it went without prosecution. He was right there when MS was arrested and followed things until he passed away. Please, never say this is just a job to them or if they can not have a quick resolution, it is because they do not have enough skin in the game. They have more skin in the game then you or I and we aren't giving up. Have faith. Things take time.

I’m so glad Mollie’s Dad got to have a long conversation with Mollie a couple of days before given what has happened.

Yes...where are the searches? Call for farmers to search their lands? Everyone to check out buildings? Those are basics I did not hear mentioned by LE. They almost always ask the locals to check their properties, esp in rural areas.

Ok not to quote myself but...I can’t assume LE left off this bit for a reason after taking almost a month to ask the other most basic questions for the public to consider. Unless I missed it? But asking people to check land, sheds, barns is missing people 101. Please tell me I missed it.

Her college was over in early May. She would have been jogging in town for weeks. Something triggered it that night. She had spent the previous night there alone also.

There are very few places to park up and not get noticed if you are watching her at the house. You run the risk of being clocked if you are making repeated slow loops around town. Have no idea if she had her car with her the previous evening.

There are 376,320 acres in the county, or 588 square miles. If each of the county's 18,533 residents (and several of those would be under 18) took an acre to search.... well you see where this is going.

Also on the FBI flyer:

"Mollie Cecelia Tibbetts was last seen on July 18, 2018, running on Pershing Drive in Brooklyn, Iowa. She was wearing shorts and a sports bra, though the color of the clothing is unknown."

I just watched the presser. Didn't they say (again) that the general public was not at risk?
Correct.

Early in the case the family posted the form to donate money to the reward fund on their official Finding Mollie Facebook page. We've discussed it before but the contract is a donation for the safe return of Mollie. The money could not, contractually, be paid out if she's deceased. There may be donors who requested a different contract and offered to donate the money for the recovery of a deceased Mollie or information leading to the conviction of someone responsible for her death, but that is not in the terms of the $366k reward.

Outstanding press release!

My take-away : this is very bad news for anyone who expects the safe return of Mollie, and we know that she disappeared in the evening, that she was abducted from the street in a vehicle, and the person responsible probably lives within a several mile radius of Brooklyn. Police are counting on tips from the public to reveal any individual who has had a change in appearance, behavior, or habits since her disappearance, and they want to know what people saw in the few days prior to her disappearance.

Agreed that the term has multiple meanings. I submit however, that its use in the context of a case involving the FBI and, presumably an abduction, is an unusual choice and adds emphasis. Deliberate choice? Could be. I don't really believe that she has left the country. I believe she is within several hours drive of where she was last seen.
She was planning a trip abroad right? So many threads I can’t remember. I wondered if the word abroad slipped because of a possible connection to someone she recently met or got introduced to, even via social media, to meet on their trip. I travel for work so I get friends all the time telling me “HEY my friend or cousin or whatever, live there. Look them up on FB, or they will tell that person I will be in town.” I never thought twice about it but now I’m thinking hmmmm that person I NEVER PERSONALLY met knows I’m going to that town for 3 months... just an idea

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but, my two cents:

LE didn't display the new website's map (the one with the interact-able red circles) at the PC. They could have. They had a satellite image map propped up there, all it was missing was the red circles. They gave the website, a .gov website, mind you -- not a .org website -- meaning the website has restricted access, and allows governmental agencies to monitor its traffic.

I suspect LE is watching the website's traffic very closely, in the hopes that the perp will visit it - to see the map. The map that you can only see by clicking on a website. LE can track the IP, address, etc. of the people who visit the site.

I think LE just set a brilliant trap.

SharonNeedles' videos of the area:

What time was this filmed? Was it early in the morning while everyone was sleeping? I saw 3 people in all those vids driving around except one with Mollies Dad. One man getting in his truck, two people driving in a golf cart and a guy on a scooter. No kids anywhere, no kids playing in the front yards or neighborhood, no one riding bicycles, no one coming or going in their houses, walking on the driveways, no one taking a walk, walking dogs or jogging. Even driving through town their were cars parked but no people anywhere!!! Where is everyone? It’s like totally dead. This is just so bizarre to me. I’ve lived in some small towns but it was nothing like this. All those big corn fields that’s where she is if she didn’t purposely get out of this town. I would go insane living there. Where do people work around there? The homes are very pretty but I would be miserable living there as a teen or young adult. I got to get off here watching these vids has depressed me. Ugh.

I think perp must be local, also

"A large reward is being offered for information leading to the recovery of Mollie."

You maybe remember before it said “safe return” of Mollie

Is there a link for that, since it's a quote, Jazz?

They did not say those particular words, but apparently reward money is now for the "recovery" as opposed to safe return ( not sure how it was worded before) but to be clear, no, they did not say those words. We don't want to start any rumours!
I don't know that the reward donation agreement has been revised (legally addressing recovery vs safe return), but I do recall the PC emphasizing this was still a "Missing Person" investigation. BBM

They gave the website, a .gov website, mind you -- not a .org website -- meaning the website has restricted access, and allows governmental agencies to monitor its traffic.

This isn't even close to being true.

I suspect LE is watching the website's traffic very closely, in the hopes that the perp will visit it - to see the map. The map that you can only see by clicking on a website. LE can track the IP, address, etc. of the people who visit the site.

I think LE just set a brilliant trap.

Wrong.

They did not say those particular words, but apparently reward money is now for the "recovery" as opposed to safe return ( not sure how it was worded before) but to be clear, no, they did not say those words. We don't want to start any rumours!
Thank you for clarifying as I missed the start of the PC - and once I realized they weren't likely to provide much in the way of details - I was bummed and lost a significant amount of interest in the PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michelemelton03