Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This could mean someone who has a reason to come to Brooklyn but does not live there. So does Brooklyn have any kind of business that would draw people to come there to work but not live there? A family member they visit often? What else?

I know I said this earlier, but I think a trail of “breadcrumb” evidence may have been left to lead LE believe someone took her out of state or far away. I have a giant feeling this is local. Nobody would be stupid enough to leave that many clues or dump things, etc. while smart enough to abduct a person in daylight without a trace, regardless of the area. I think she’s in the area close to Brooklyn, NOT far at all.

Brooklyn locals, can you determine if cameras are currently installed at the D & M Car Wash? If expect though that if there were LE would have been attempting to locate customers from the evening of and days after the event. As of this last presser there is no indication of such attempts.

Look at Needle's video #4 on page 1. He drives right by the D & M, and it shows what I think are cameras We know they have some from the owner's interview (turned over video and receipts).

I’m trying to come up with a comparison analysis to MT’s case and that of other similar ones where the victim was outdoors and abducted by a stranger. The only ones I can think of are Sierah Joughrin, Libby & Abby, and Evansville, IA girls. Does anyone know where I can find any others on this here? I want to compare mileage from where the victim’s remains where found and where they were abducted, if it was a serial abducter, motive, evidence used to find and convict the perpetrator, type of town crime occurred, etc. I figure this may be helpful to the MT case.

I can think of 2 off the top of my head (abducted while outdoors) that occurred more than 30 years ago—around the 1980’s—they haven’t ever found their bodies though. Tara Calico (biking alone in NM), Johnny Gosch on his paper route in Iowa.

More recently:
1-Vanessa Marcotte abducted while out jogging in Princeton, Massachusetts (body found)

2-Katrina Vetranno (attacked & was killed trying to fight off the perp) while out jogging in Queens, NY

3-Alexandra “Ally” Brueger (gunned down during her jog while trying to fight off her killer) in Rose Township, Michigan (outside of Detroit)

4-There’s also Jennifer Kesse out of FL (body never found)

Last edited:
A meth head would probably be a disorganized offender and would probably leave a mountain of evidence. I can't see Mollie's abductor being a meth head.
Doesn't necessarily have to be the methhead him or herself, but someone associated with that 'lifestyle' - on the periphery who crossed paths with her.

Don't underestimate the property crime & the violent crime perpetrated by people in Iowa desperate for drug money. I mean, are the 1/3 of crimes that go unsolved in the U.S. all clean? The 50% in Iowa that go unsolved?

I think this is why LE is asking about car washes.... car detailing, etc. Gotta clean it up if a driver hit her. Additionally, evidence could have gone unnoticed. It happens.

I want to preface this theory by saying I believe Mollie was taken by someone she knows. However, I do have a theory suggests a stranger abduction. Please bear with me as this is longer than I wanted it to be, but have much information to share. I’d love to hear anyone’s thoughts on it.

There was much talk during the Elizabeth and Lyric case about construction going on nearby, I believe on Hwy 20. On their thread #18, a poster mentioned that they were staying at a nearby campground the weekend after the girls went missing & it was almost full. They had been told that many of the construction workers were staying there while on the job. The possibility that a construction worker took the girls was discussed a lot on their threads.

So I was looking at the DCI map for Mollie yesterday, specifically the red areas south and southeast of Brooklyn. Since there are two areas in this direction, I was thinking that possibly the perp traveled from the south either on the way to Brooklyn or back, or both.

I then went to the Iowa DOT website and looked up current construction projects. Interestingly enough, there is a current highway construction project in Sigourney, approximately 40 miles southeast of Brooklyn. There’s also a campground called Belva Deer Recreation Area near Sigourney. Looking at the DCI map, the 2 shaded areas to the south of Brooklyn would be great areas for the perp to travel from if they were coming from there.

Google Maps shows 3 routes from the Sigourney area to Brooklyn. One route via B Ave can be thrown out as a possibility as you have to travel further east. The first route suggested is via Hwy 21, which is 8-10 miles due west of Sigourney & the campground, respectively. The perp could hop on Hwy 21 & go north, head west on I80 and get off of I80 at 398/V18, which is a straight shot north to Brooklyn. This exit is where the southern shaded area is on the map that mentions the area of the TA Truck Stop. The third route suggest by Google Maps is via V18. Again, perp heads west to Hwy 21. While this route on the map has you get off on 420th St and go west to V18, it looks like you could just as easily get off at 430th St and go west until you hit V18. Once at V18, its a straight shot north to Brooklyn (and this route has you go through the TA Truck Stop area as well). The southeastern area shaded on the map is on 430th St between Hwy 21 and V18, so along this suggested route.

So, let’s say a construction worker gets off work around 4:30 or 5 and travels to Brooklyn to commit some evil deed (maybe going further away from his home base to deflect suspicion). It would take about 45 minutes to an hour to get to Brooklyn. He trolls around a bit in Brooklyn, maybe even the TA Truck Stop or other towns before getting to Brooklyn. He sees Mollie around 7:30pm and then takes her to the northeastern shaded area. Once done, he goes north a few miles to Hwy 6 going east, then takes Hwy 21 all the way south. Back at the campground around 10pm and no one thinks anything of it.

I'm responding here for my own use too, but is this also the date/time that the heavy and aggressive FBI presence was called in? I keep wondering how it went from 1 agent to 30-40FBI?
I'm curious what changed? So what did LE find at the Kwik Star?

Notes to self; Pulled from previous post and thread showing date of FBI coming in to Brooklyn in response.

jmo
I was under the impression that it was something like 14 FBI agents and 40 investigators overall? I think a likely possibility for FBI involvement, is that local LE realized that they had something that was beyond their abilities to handle, atleast on their own. Perhaps they uncovered evidence of foul play. Or realized that there was a trove of digital evidence that the FBI would be better equipped to harvest and analyze.

Last edited:
Could you, or anyone else who is focused on "recovery", please quote the use of "recovery" in this website to clarify why we should assume that the search for Mollie is a "recovery" rather than a "missing person".

https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/

Mollie very well be could be alive and being held against her will, like AH, Jaycee Dugard, Elizabeth Smart, Castro’s victims, TK’s victim, Amish Girls, etc...As I mentioned yesterday, LE has indeed clearly referred to Mollie’s case as a MP investigation, and to date has not mentioned that this is a recovery mission or homicide investigation. The only way they would change this title is if they have concrete evidence which indicates otherwise, such as blood evidence or a witness/confession/arrest, etc.

On that note, here is a recent, clear and sad example of such (upgrading a MP investigation to a homicide investigation/recovery mission):
Longmont police believe Rita Gutierrez-Garcia is dead, have ID'd 'person of interest'

Last edited:
I don't know anything about iPhones, but I have an Android phone with Wifi enabled. I have Wifi at home through my cable provider (Comcast) and Wifi at work. I also have 'Smart network switch' enabled. When I look at my Wifi settings at home, I see all of the available Wifi networks in range (I'm sure that some of those are my neighbors' and that they are password protected like mine.) When I am at work, my phone automatically connects to the work Wifi network. The Wifi settings screen also shows me all of the Wifi networks that I've ever connected to; for example, the Wifi for a hotel on a recent trip.
I assume that iPhones have similar capabilities.

This is a good read (for Android):

https://www.howtogeek.com/327532/ho...youre-near-a-trusted-network-in-android-oreo/

Eh, what evidence? She wasn't carrying much with her. What evidence would there be? There was well over 2 inches of rain in Brooklyn, IA overnight between July 18th/19th which surely would wash away any trace evidence. Not saying I think that is what happened, but it certainly can't be ruled out.
NICE CATCH. I forgot about that rain. Good thinking.

Note those Google images are from 2013, taken during when the car wash was being constructed. Looking at those images I see no outside camera installs but that doesn't mean they weren't added afterward.

Brooklyn locals, can you determine if cameras are currently installed at the D & M Car Wash? If expect though that if there were LE would have been attempting to locate customers from the evening of and days after the event. As of this last presser there is no indication of such attempts.
The car wash owner stated during his interview that he provided LE video and receipts from there already.

I'm responding here for my own use too, but is this also the date/time that the heavy and aggressive FBI presence was called in? I keep wondering how it went from 1 agent to 30-40FBI?
I'm curious what changed? So what did LE find at the Kwik Star?

Notes to self; Pulled from previous post and thread showing date of FBI coming in to Brooklyn in response.

jmo

Yes, this is the same time FBI was called in. I also can’t get past the fact that the call for something recovered/found on Pershing near her boyfriends home had no responding agency listed and if I am recalling correctly, it was one of, if not THE ONLY thing listed without the agency.

I also recall the friend of Mollie who mentioned not receiving the typical "Fact of the Day" Snapchat was wearing one as well. It caught my attention. I don't remember where I saw that video.

It’s not uncommon for people from small towns to identify with school mascot/sports teams long after they have graduated. I moved away to go to school and have lived on both coasts since I graduated almost 50 years ago but remain a loyal Husky to this day. Not unusual for people to wear clothing with school mascot as a sign of unity and community support.

I can think of 2 off the top of my head (abducted while outdoors) that occurred more than 30 years ago—around the 1980’s—they haven’t ever found their bodies though. Tara Calico (biking alone in NM), Johnny Gosch on his paper route in Iowa.

More recently:
1-Vanessa Marcotte abducted while out jogging in Princeton, NJ, (body found)
2-Katrina Vetranno (attacked & was killed trying to fight off the perp) while out jogging in Queens, NY,
3-Alexandra “Ally” Brueger (gunned down during her jog while trying to fight off her killer) in Rose Township, Michigan (outside of Detroit)

Not to be too nitpicky or anything, but Vanessa Marcotte was murdered in Princeton MA, not the famous Princeton.

More recently:
1-Vanessa Marcotte abducted while out jogging in Princeton, NJ, (body found)
2-Katrina Vetranno (attacked & was killed trying to fight off the perp) while out jogging in Queens, NY,

Nancy Moyer was abducted (or voluntarily entered a vehicle) from her front porch... she has not been seen since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Callie679