Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Knowing who he is and placing him in a public place is not enough evidence. They need more.

How could the public help not knowing who or even what type or color of vehicle or the time, etc...

I do not believe there is a suspect. If there was, they would have shared nothing, more in keeping with their behavior thus far.

Thanks. Has this sentence been modified, thought it said W. Pershing Dr:

"On Wednesday, July 18, 2018, Mollie Tibbetts was last seen jogging in Brooklyn, Iowa in the evening hours. There have been no credible sightings of, or communications with, Mollie since that time."​

Regardless, although this is presented as worst case scenario, every behavioral change etc that police ask people to look for are directly related to this being more than a possibility:

"we must consider the possibility that foul play is involved. Individuals who commit violent crimes often exhibit behavior that is recognized by those with whom he lives, works, attends school, or is in an otherwise close relationship with. Often, someone in the community will unknowingly be associated with the offender, and may be in a position to observe behavioral changes in that person. They will recognize the change ..."
https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/

We know police are interested in the car wash, and it just so happens that the 2nd Street witness lives across the street. That 2nd street witness saw Mollie running towards Casey's food store around 8 - 8:30PM. That would have taken her past the car wash. Confusion suggested this route earlier this evening.

And doesn't the western end of this route extend into or towards the Western most red dot/location on LE map?

I do not believe an FBI agent spoke to Radar.

The FBI would not talk to a source like Radar Online. I have worked on cases where federal prosecutors did leak information to the New York Times to put pressure on a party to settle a case, but it is rare and it is not during a serious active investigation. If they were going to leak information because they thought it would further their investigation, it would be to a serious journalist at a prominent and mainstream organization like the Washington Post or NYT. That said, you can't guarantee that a lower-level person at a local LE agency like a volunteer or secretary doesn't overhear something and sell a tidbit. But no serious LEO or FBI agent would risk their career to leak a nothingburger to a celebrity gossip site.

Last edited:
The latest PC was troubling in that it seems like the investigators don't know a whole lot ...

<respectfully snipped>

Whatever the case, I'm starting to worry they may never find her. Closure would be nice for the family. Really seems like investigators don't know very much and are grasping at straws.

Investigators know and told us plenty, it's just not pleasant.

" ... explain Mollie’s disappearance, we must consider the possibility that foul play is involved. Individuals who commit violent crimes often exhibit behavior that is recognized by those with whom he lives, works, attends school, or is in an otherwise close relationship with."​

https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/

They asked Brooklyn to reflect on July 18, think about whether they were in any of five locations and, if so, to report what they saw if it was irregular. They also asked everyone to think about everyone they know and what they were doing at the time and to report anything irregular. Everything they asked people to do is consistent with their best hope, belief, or assumption that this is a violent offender who messed up in the 48 hours (rough guess) after the abduction.

Earlier in this thread someone brought up NAAPA Auto Parts in Brooklyn and asked if they had delivery drivers. The more I think about it the more I think that this really could be possible. It would fit in nicely with what LE is thinking about someone familiar with the town but not necessarily living there.

I checked the hours for the Brooklyn store and they are open 7:30-5:00 weekdays and 8-12:00 Saturdays. Molly got back to the area later because of her job but I started thinking about how our local NAAPA operates which also has the same hours. In highschool my son worked there after school and they were never closed at 5:00. Or perhaps I should say they could be but the drivers themselves could still be out. Example, one of their biggest customers were local auto dealers. If a customer owned a vehicle that was not the make of the dealer, they didn't have parts for it and had to source out to NAAPA to get the part they needed. Often times they called late (before closing) and would say we NEED this part for thing in the morning do you have and can you get it here. If in stock the owner/manager always gave the dealers top priority and sent the parts out with my son even at closing time. He delivered them to the dealership then had to return to NAAPA to drop off the delivery truck. If a driver wasn't available then they would send their own runner to NAAPA and the store would remain open waiting on the runner to give them the part if they did not have a safe place to leave it outside.

This allows opportunity for drivers (normally young guys late teens -20's) to be in Brooklyn yet not be a citizen there necessarily. Dealers usually use kids or retired guys as runners as well. Open on Saturday... I can assume the daycare wasn't open so MT would be free and about town on errands or what have you, possibly even jogging. There has never been anything stated that she never jogged in the morning if she had the day off of work and school. She may have been spotted once, twice or many times by someone who frequently delivered working out of the store or drivers coming into the store for parts. If over a period of time if he saw her he might actually start looking for her in his travels in the area. Who knows, he could have stopped at Casey's for soda and a snack and she happened to come in to. Or it could be it was just one sighting and an opportunity presented itself.

I just think that this type of delivery person in particular could fit the profile of what it appears to me LE is interested in. Young guy, not necessarily the type that is going to ever set the world on fire, in a somewhat limited dead end job. Maybe not a lot of females all that interested in him, especially the MT type who is driven, receiving a good education and a bright future ahead for herself. Rape is rarely about sex rather control and dominance. I have often read about rapists who hated women because someone turned them down or were repeatedly turned down and being able to control them gave them the needed assurance that they were not losers.

Last edited:
Whomever it was probably had everything prepped and set.

The local hardware store should know who the person is. Most people don't buy new shovels out there that much since they probably have 20 of them in the garage already. But plastic bags, zip ties, tarps, gloves, bins, tape and whatever else should be looked at. Jmo

Of the five areas, two are likely to have been on her jogging route. The truck stop, IMHO, is too far south and in the opposite direction from her mom's house where she may have intended to go for dinner and/or to pick up her shared car for work the following morning. Then there are the two areas way off to the northeast and southeast. Why those two areas? Earlier, I was thinking Wifi hotspots. Do you think the perp may have killed her and disposed of her body in one of those two locations, and then went back to his residence in the other one?

Young guy, not necessarily the type that is going to ever set the world on fire, in a somewhat limited dead end job.

Outside of young - not sure why anyone kidnapping her would have to be young - that's a pretty basic profile for a lot of guys. Some of them kidnap, some steal planes, most just end up working dead-end jobs for the rest of their lives.

Of the five areas, two are likely to have been on her jogging route. The truck stop, IMHO, is too far south and in the opposite direction from her mom's house where she may have intended to go for dinner and/or to pick up her shared car for work the following morning. Then there are the two areas way off to the northeast and southeast. Why those two areas? Earlier, I was thinking Wifi hotspots. Do you think the perp may have killed her and disposed of her body in one of those two locations, and then went back to his residence in the other one?

It's possible to configure a phone to connect to random wifi hotspots (specifically ones her phone would not have connected to before) but it's not recommended and unusual. My phone can do this, but I still have to accept TOS for using wifi, and it's doesn't handle everything (it will notice the free wifi at the local grocery store but not the teriyaki place next to it.)

Totally agree with you about everything except the trafficking...seems like trafficked people are often children or runaways or people who have less control over what happens to them. It would be very difficult to traffick an independent, busy, active college student, I think.

Otherwise, I agree that it was an outsider who happened to come by and grab her. Maybe spur of the moment, or maybe planned over a 24 hour period after his first sighting of her. But I definitely think she was gone after the first 12 hours or so. So sad and scary, since it seems like this stuff can just happen to anyone, randomly...everyone should have sort of a mental preparation “just in case” these days.

Agree that the trafficking angle is unlikely. This was unfortunately probably an outsider who was only in town briefly and left town immediately after abducting her, leaving little time for witnesses to see much. I suspect it was spur of the moment or near-spur of the moment, no more than maybe a bit of brief planning. I think the perp saw an attractive young woman jogging alone in a fairly isolated town off the interstate and seized on the opportunity. Probably drove at least an hour away before any violent crime was committed. Mollie was probably deceased within 6-12 hours, and the perp probably used the night hours and darkness following her abduction to conceal evidence/her body.

In a town of the size if a local committed this crime you'd have him as a suspect very quickly.

Really a heartbreaking case. I know everyone who knows the victim always talks about what a great, amazing person they are, but it really does seem as though Mollie is a great young woman.

There is no attribution at all for her stating that key fact - being recorded on video - in her report. That is a pretty bold statement by the tv producer without citing any LE source as the basis. Many news organizations would not print that without asking her to identify the source of the information. Given the fact no other media have repeated this or reported it, I think makes it suspect. Perhaps she knows something no one else in the media does and she is just extra good at her job.
LE has allegedly told at least 3 witnesses things about this investigation that they will not confirm saying, and each witness at one point provided this information to local media. Some we saw broadcast in a witness interview, and some only in print. I don't think these witness have a single reason to fabricate the details shared, and glad to see the same accounted for in the timeline (although not confirmed by LE). Also be reminded that there was credible information including video sighting that was pulled down or deleted when FBI came on board. At this point, If you only want to see information citing LE as the source, I believe you will be waiting a very long time! MOO.

Whomever it was probably had everything prepped and set.

The local hardware store should know who the person is. Most people don't buy new shovels out there that much since they probably have 20 of them in the garage already. But plastic bags, zip ties, tarps, gloves, bins, tape and whatever else should be looked at. Jmo

The nearest Walmart seems more likely. That chain has featured in countless crimes...seems like every other criminal stocks up there. They have a lot of video but the perp could have carried stuff around with him for a while. But after the crime, Walmart video could be interesting if any clean up,etc was needed. Still, without knowing who you are looking for...impossible.

Earlier in this thread someone brought up NAAPA Auto Parts in Brooklyn and asked if they had delivery drivers. The more I think about it the more I think that this really could be possible. It would fit in nicely with what LE is thinking about someone familiar with the town but not necessarily living there.

I checked the hours for the Brooklyn store and they are open 7:30-5:00 weekdays and 8-12:00 Saturdays. Molly got back to the area later because of her job but I started thinking about how our local NAAPA operates which also has the same hours. In highschool my son worked there after school and they were never closed at 5:00. Or perhaps I should say they could be but the drivers themselves could still be out. Example, one of their biggest customers were local auto dealers. If a customer owned a vehicle that was not the make of the dealer, they didn't have parts for it and had to source out to NAAPA to get the part they needed. Often times they called late (before closing) and would say we NEED this part for thing in the morning do you have and can you get it here. If in stock the owner/manager always gave the dealers top priority and sent the parts out with my son even at closing time. He delivered them to the dealership then had to return to NAAPA to drop off the delivery truck. If a driver wasn't available then they would send their own runner to NAAPA and the store would remain open waiting on the runner to give them the part if they did not have a safe place to leave it outside.

This allows opportunity for drivers (normally young guys late teens -20's) to be in Brooklyn yet not be a citizen there necessarily. Dealers usually use kids or retired guys as runners as well. Open on Saturday... I can assume the daycare wasn't open so MT would be free and about town on errands or what have you, possibly even jogging. There has never been anything stated that she never jogged in the morning if she had the day off of work and school. She may have been spotted once, twice or many times by someone who frequently delivered working out of the store or drivers coming into the store for parts. If over a period of time if he saw her he might actually start looking for her in his travels in the area. Who knows, he could have stopped at Casey's for soda and a snack and she happened to come in to. Or it could be it was just one sighting and an opportunity presented itself.

I just think that this type of delivery person in particular could fit the profile of what it appears to me LE is interested in. Young guy, not necessarily the type that is going to ever set the world on fire, in a somewhat limited dead end job. Maybe not of females all that interested in him, especially the MT who is driven, receiving a good education and a bright future ahead for herself. Rape is rarely about sex rather control and dominance. I have often read about rapists who hated women because someone turned them down or were repeatedly turned down and being able to control them gave them the needed assurance that they were not losers.
Excellent post. Also, just because a store closes at a particular time doesn't mean that all of the employees leave at that time. Typically, they have to perform activities after hours such as stocking the shelves, sweeping, accounting, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova