Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
New memeber here. I’ve been sleuthing for years, but had no idea it was a thing until I stumbled upon Websleuths a few weeks ago. You guys bring a level of comfort and I appreciate it.

Just saw that VP Mike Pence posted a video on twitter and commented on MT. Interesting? If you go to his twitter page you will see.

I hope I am allowed to say that. I know you can’t report things from social media so I certainly don’t want to violate any TOS.

I also believe that if LE has a POI with any kind of footprint such as a possible car on surveillance, wouldn’t they plead to the public to help find the person of said car? I just don’t believe they have any valuable leads from collecting footage and/or receipts without needing the public’s help in identifying. It seems as if LE typically releases that info to the public, for example, ATM footage, vehicle footage, even footage of the POI themselves. IMO

Welcome to Websleuths, FSUSeminoles!! Good post!

My ideas about why LE might not release any specific info on a POI would be that 1) If MT is alive and with the POI, the POI might hear the alert and panic since he still has her with him. It could prompt him to kill her and hide her body and GTH outta Dodge. 2) It could encourage some folks to "play detective," and form a posse-type group and go after this person. That could really cause all kinds of trouble, IMO.
It seems LE always has such a fine line to walk on in a case like this. JMO.

Thinking positive thoughts for MT, her worried family, LE and the folks in Brooklyn.

Again, Welcome!

Edit: I did run background checks on all residents of land parcels within the areas of interest. Nothing significant came back. However, within 2 miles of of one of the areas of interest there is a registered sex offender roughly the same age as MT, who I believe would have been released from prison shortly before the disappearance. I only skimmed his records so don't quote me on that. Whether he still lives at that address I am not sure. His MO would be of interest to anyone following this. I want to clarify that I am not making any suggestions about his involvement in this, I am purely stating facts.

Do not ask for identifying information. For legal purposes I will not give it. This is all public information, and if you are interested you will need to find it yourself.

I think there is more to this...

Joking about the California thing. People were talking about how we gps chip kids in CA on here, and I told them that would be a violation of the 4th amendment.

I have a sense of humor, but I guess I am too involved with this particular case. I prefer to stay focused on what is important. I apologize if I responded, without light heartedness. But it has been about four weeks now, and the frustration is being felt by most of us. I worked in LE for over 30 years, so I am sensitive to criticism of their on-going investigation. Maybe I should "lighten up"?

It would be utterly untenable for law enforcement to leave a captured victim at the mercy of her known abductor instead of rescuing her and taking the perpetrator into custody. I don't believe they know who did this or where Mollie is.

I don't either, I was simply offering a potential scenario for a perspective presented by someone else.

<modsnip: snipped snark>

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe she never had a chance to get them out of the baseman before bed.

My theory on this is that I've always felt that she planned to be gone longer than her run, which has been reported by various articles as usually being around 45 mins long...I figure maybe she planned to go to her mom's for dinner or something where she wouldn't be home for awhile...after all, how much trouble could the dogs get in that short amount of time? But--this is just my opinion as a dog owner myself...I wouldn't lock my dog up if I was going to be gone an hour or two, but if I planned on being gone a few hours--I might...I completely recognize that just because that's what I'd do, it might not be what MT would do though...

OT safety tips

My wife has pepper spray too and dont feel bad because it took me forever to convince her to open the package and keep it handy in either her purse or her glove box of the vehicle. Preferably one in each.

Wanted to caution that some of them have a really small volume so be careful with doing any "test spraying" because you want to be sure to have a full canister if ever needed.

I would recommend buying two of the same variety if you want to test fire one to be sure you know how it works. Then have the other unused one ready to go and know how it works.

Also if ever test firing one be sure the wind is going in the same direction as you are spraying. You dont want the wind to take the stuff back into yourself.
Companies make small tasers that look like cute pink phones too

I agree. As to the scenario of them being afraid to arrest someone because they don’t know where she is and she may “starve,” history doesn’t lend that much credence. If you have enough to arrest someone, then you have enough leverage for the perpetrator to tell you where the victim is. This type of thing has played out in ransom scenarios, where the victim has been buried alive (super rare). If they know who did it, and have reason to believe Mollie is still alive, police would have moved in. Preservation of life is paramount in LE.

But if all they've got are correlating cell phone pings, which is the scenario I was responding to, they don't have enough to arrest him. And if they bring him in for questioning it's unlikely he'd give them a thing, and unless he was stupid he wouldn't go near where he had her stashed again.

Again, I don't buy into the idea that they have a firm idea of who it is (if anybody), I was simply offering some perspective as to why they might not be moving if they thought they knew who it was.

I have a sense of humor, but I guess I am too involved with this particular case. I prefer to stay focused on what is important. I apologize if I responded, without light heartedness. But it has been about four weeks now, and the frustration is being felt by most of us. I worked in LE for over 30 years, so I am sensitive to criticism of their on-going investigation. Maybe I should "lighten up"?
We're all frustrated. We all want Mollie home! I think you speak for a lot of us.

The dogs being put away would be for the purpose of eliminating distraction, or for the perps own safety, not out of concern for them.

Distraction from what? Perp, pointing gun at victim" You're coming with me!" Victim: I'm sorry, what were you saying? There are dogs in here."

I’d take it personally too. I think there is criticism that is fair, as well as criticism that is unwarranted. Criticism in regards to the fact that there hasn’t been arrest yet, is unwarranted IMO. This is a complex case, and an investigation of this scope will take time. I do however, think criticism is fine if you have something solid to back it up.

A few people have posted about sex offenders...keep in mind that younger sex offenders (18-25 or so) are often registered for underage sex...i.e, an 18 year old who had sex with a 15 year old, or something like that. Not all of the sex offenders on the registry are people who would abduct and murder a random girl. Actually, a registered sex offender would be incredibly stupid to try it, since that’s the first place the cops are going to look. I think IMHO that most serial killers that abduct people have a clean record or a relatively small record. It makes them almost impossible to find unless they make a mistake.

In my own humble opinion, I don't think LE has any idea who took MT.
The only two who know is Mollie and that person.
Ok maybe three if there was/is an accomplice.
I know the cases where those held for long (and shorter) periods of time have come home safe. At least physically.
One in ten thousand I would think. After this long especially.
I too join you all in hoping her parents are correct and she is alive.
Otherwise I have to just stop, think and realize she is most likely gone.
Just gone without any answers...

New memeber here. I’ve been sleuthing for years, but had no idea it was a thing until I stumbled upon Websleuths a few weeks ago. You guys bring a level of comfort and I appreciate it.

Just saw that VP Mike Pence posted a video on twitter and commented on MT. Interesting? If you go to his twitter page you will see.

I hope I am allowed to say that. I know you can’t report things from social media so I certainly don’t want to violate any TOS.

I also believe that if LE has a POI with any kind of footprint such as a possible car on surveillance, wouldn’t they plead to the public to help find the person of said car? I just don’t believe they have any valuable leads from collecting footage and/or receipts without needing the public’s help in identifying. It seems as if LE typically releases that info to the public, for example, ATM footage, vehicle footage, even footage of the POI themselves. IMO

Absolutely. If investigators had any idea where Mollie was or who abducted her, there is absolutely no way that they would do nothing. Each moment that Mollie is missing means that her life is threatened. Although I personally do not believe that she is still alive, if she were alive it would be severe negligence for investigators to quietly observe her suspected abductor. Furthermore, as you point out, if there was a lead, such as a receipt or CCTV footage, that would be all over the news. Police have nothing, and they need help from people who were in Brooklyn on July 18, or who live in the rural community and are behaving or looking different since July 18.

A few people have posted about sex offenders...keep in mind that younger sex offenders (18-25 or so) are often registered for underage sex...i.e, an 18 year old who had sex with a 15 year old, or something like that. Not all of the sex offenders on the registry are people who would abduct and murder a random girl. Actually, a registered sex offender would be incredibly stupid to try it, since that’s the first place the cops are going to look. I think IMHO that most serial killers that abduct people have a clean record or a relatively small record. It makes them almost impossible to find unless they make a mistake.
I mostly agree, but you do have to cover your bases. As for the idea that a sex offender would “have to be incredibly stupid,” that’s true. But it wouldn’t be the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frankiterranova