Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry everyone....I have been at this all day and getting a bit of a headache. Signing off until after supper. I realize I just posted my theory, so if you have additional comments I will check for them when I come back later.

UPDATED 8/12/2018:

WHAT WE KNOW
  • Mollie’s jogging clothing is missing – pink sports bra, black shorts & running shoes
  • Mollie’s devices are missing – cell phone, armband, FitBit and white earbuds
  • She has about 3 different routes and likes to mix them up
  • The dogs were in the basement
  • Dalton said the door was probably unlocked
  • She typically picks up the car at her mom's house before dark
  • She went for a run at 7:30
  • She usually runs for 45 minutes
  • LE reconstructed her run, relying on Fitbit data, cell phone pings and eyewitnesses
  • A digital signal led police to the Guernsey farm area
  • Video footage was collected from various businesses, including Casey’s
  • Mollie's mom was asked by FBI if Mollie was "in a home" at 9:45
  • She may have done homework (time unknown & unconfirmed)
  • Snapchat appeared to be indoors & taken that day, viewed at 10PM
  • Mollie was a creature of habit
  • Dalton sent her a text in the morning and she did not respond
  • There were no vehicles in the driveway (as there usually would be)
  • Her driver's license, passport and debit card were at the house
  • Usual evening routine: run, shower/eat or eat/shower, homework, bed
  • No signs of a struggle or forced entry
Reported Sightings
  • NH, 7:30 pm - W Pershing Dr
  • RT, time unknown - W. Des Moines – walking east, would have to go N or S
  • DR, 8 pm - East 2nd Street - jogging west toward Casey’s
DC, time unknown, West St - told by LE (not an actual sighting) that MT jogged past his house and made it home

FBI poster indicates that Mollie was last seen running on Pershing Drive.
MOLLIE CECELIA TIBBETTS
thank you this is good. to add, her brother also texted her in the morning and did not receive a response, correct?

I totally believe him. He doesn’t know Mollie and had no particular reason to remember details about somebody he regulary sees jogging on his street.
I agree. I remember as a child a Particulary cold night where my parents left my bedroom window open after painting my room. I woke to someone yelling “help me, oh god help me”. They thought I had a dream and did nothing. I begged them to call the police but they were sure I was dreaming. Police found the neighbor unconscious the next day due to blunt force trauma. Thank god he survived the attack. I don’t discount things unless they are crazy beyond belief.

I think this is a dead end. I don't think normal users like a teenage girl would have an iphone set up to connect to random wifi networks at all. Only known networks that were used and authorized previously.

I think a LOT of people have their phone set to connect to open networks unless they have unlimited data.

I think they assumed early on that she returned home and was doing homework. Based on the fact that her phone, Fitbit arm band and running clothes are not accounted for it is highly unlikely she ever returned home after the run. No one keeps all of that on their possession while doing homework.
True, but I think it's possible a perp may have grabbed it and destroyed it, to get rid of evidence and slow things down. More than one person claimed LE told them the data showed she got back and was doing homework, her brother and mom said the same thing at the beginning. Then there was no more talk about it, for whatever reason. Not saying its definitive, but I think it's possible.

Not sure I'm understanding "the Fitbit won't do anything by itself" the way you meant it, but the article I shared from Runner's World did have a quote in it that LE doesn't 'always need the device to sync to a computer to be able to pull data'.

Although the type of data available depends on the device (a fitness tracker, iPad, iPhone, etc.), Stedman said law enforcement officials often look for GPS, heart rate, steps, and activity spikes. They don’t always need the device to sync to a computer to be able to pull data, he noted, which could be helpful in locating those who go missing, as in Mollie Tibbetts case.

There are clues. We just don't know what they all are.
Clues, indeed. And a very experienced group of LE who have worked cases for many years and know all the steps and possibilities. Unfortunately, there are also a couple of major factors that I see working against LE and for the perp: the field trip, so Mollie's family was not aware she did not go to work losing precious hours; and the major rain/storm that passed through in the early morning hours, washing away tire tracks from dirt roads and signs of scuffle, accident or altercation wherever Mollie vanished. Any dropped papers/receipts would probably be illegible and other possible evidence washed into ditches or stormdrains. . . .

I'm thankful for this fourm. I know other fourms are not that great but I see they are really cracking down on reddit...in a good way. Lots of good discussion going on there and here. Let's keep her fresh in our minds guys.
last time i checked reddit, the theories were really bad so glad to hear it's getting better. I saw a number of people accusing certain people who were already cleared by police :rolleyes:

In my experience there are always extra staff/volunteers for a trip like this, I can't imagine one person assigned to a small group, it is usually one adult per every 3 or 4 kids, at least.

lol I work at a summer program, we have a field trip tomorrow. Our ratio is what it is required to be, 1 adult to 15 students. Kindergarten to 5th graders. There is no way our program would ever pay enough staff to do 1 adult to 3 or 4 kids!!! School fieldtrips with teachers and some parent volunteers perhaps, but paid workers never.

Edited to add that as a staff member, I feel completely confident watching 15 kids. Sometimes we have a second staff for that number, always if we have 16 kids or more. It would be relatively pointless to have just 3 kids under my care, unless there are extra needs.

There are forensic programs (also used by war driver hackers) such as Wireshark that will log all of the wireless networks available in a specific area and also map them out.

There are also websites such as: WiGLE: Wireless Network Mapping where people upload Wireshark logs and it displays wifi hotspots on a street map overlay. Not sure how accurate it is in a small town like Brooklyn, or how often it is updated, but I zoomed in and saw several wireless networks along the jogging route.

Clues, indeed. And a very experienced group of LE who have worked cases for many years and know all the steps and possibilities. Unfortunately, there are also a couple of major factors that I see working against LE and for the perp: the field trip, so Mollie's family was not aware she did not go to work losing precious hours; and the major rain/storm that passed through in the early morning hours, washing away tire tracks from dirt roads and signs of scuffle, accident or altercation wherever Mollie vanished. Any dropped papers/receipts would probably be illegible and other possible evidence washed into ditches or stormdrains. . . .
Unfortunately, all true. Add to that any electronic device that might have been on, but outside, was made inoperable. It's a stretch, but maybe evidence wasn't destroyed if sheltered somewhat by any of those abandoned buildings.

I am not a technical person, and am trying to understand all this technical stuff. That being said, does the above post mean that her location can be traced only if the cell phone is turned on? In other words, if a perp turned off the phone and or removed SIM card, that would be the last time any data was retrieved? There would be no other information beyond that moment and time?

Yes. Pull the battery and the SIM card, and your phone is an inert piece of hardware. It ain't talkin' with nothing!

Without the phone to sync with, no more Fitbit data or run tracking can be uploaded to the Cloud, as Fitbit uses Bluetooth to connect to the phone at short ranges (20 feet or less) - meaning that a Fitbit can't ping off of a cell tower or communicate with a GPS satellite (via an incoming signal the phone uses to figure out where it is - e.g geolocate) on its own. Also, if you lock a phone in a cookie tin can or an ammo can - any heavy metal box or maybe even a Mylar potato chip bag (e.g. a Faraday cage) that should also block any incoming/outgoing signals to/from a cellphone. If in doubt, then go to work with a hammer on the phone (and his little friend Fitbit too) after pulling the battery and SIM card from the phone, wrap the pieces in a roll of aluminum foil folds, bake at 325 degrees for several hours, and hide the phone remains at the bottom of a coal mine! Let NSA find that!

I read recently that Apple is developing hardware driven Technology that will allow not yet released Iphones to call 911 (and, presumably, maybe be able to geolocate via GPS satellite info, and MAYBE allow Apple to ping a "dead" phone's location) if the phone has no battery (for you technerds out there, the article did not say how - maybe a capacitor?). But this Tech is still down the road.

I hope this helps.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members