Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #29

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure what you mean...it appears that social media has not helped much...what do you see that I don’t?
Some early threads talked extensively about how much personal information about MT and her family was available via her various SM pages as they were public. I won't go into all the specific available information here but it was quite specific and would make it possible to locate her at school and find her family and BF with very little time involved. What I didn't do a great job saying in my prior post (sorry for confusion BTW) was that I wonder if the perp in this case did in fact use the SM pages of MT to stalk her or find her or contact her? The public SM footprint of MT is wide and deep online. Someone tonight spoke about tracing back threads on her Twitter account and what they learned. I wonder how much access LE has to visitor data on the various SM platforms?

that underground in storm celler idea sounded wild when I first seen it, but the more I think about it....perp could have a secret such place, have it stocked, have her there and still be there themselves. I would think it would be a cool temp and if no outside lite comeing in time could even become distorted, im not saying it would make one think just hours had past at this point, but it could greatly distort how many days I would think. someplace like that would also keep sounds in and out. it also might work a persons mind in other ways. it still sounds wild, but we don't know. we don't know nothing really.

This!! And without makeup, Mollie looks quite young, especially with her hair in braids or ponytails.
Pedophiles like their victim’s much younger, before puberty
LE seldom brings a “serial killer” theory to the public unless there is a DNA match or strong similarities in method of killing and/or disposal, i.e a signature. There is nothing known to suggest any of the cases mentioned are linked.

Also Mollie looks no more like a little girl than I do lol...she looks like a healthy, athletic young woman. The whole “mistaken for a child” thing seemed to have more to do with a pink coat that a child who had wandered off may have been wearing a similar one...I think Mollie turned into “I look like a 10-yr old” as a better funny story for social media. Jmo
I completely agree...

Nice work!

Speculation only: I've thought that Mollie's disappearance pinged a victim profile someone (FBI?) has for a previous unknown killer. They have him profiled, including a range of his possible victim selections, but they don't know his identity yet. I also suspect there are other victim locations that we don't know about (and LE may or may not know about) which would modify his range.

May today be the day they get his identity.

When everyone was sleeping, I couldn't stop thinking about what an "awareness space" transportation corridor would look like if there was a connection between the two cases. I came up with three maps:
  • what the dots in the Brooklyn map might mean
  • what major routes connect the two locations
  • where an abductor might leave a body if this was not the first abduction/murder
Highway 21 is the major route between Evansdale and Brooklyn, and it is a factor in the Guernsey search area. This might be completely wrong thinking, but if there is a connection, I'm curious about what that might look like. Belle Plaine seemed like a good place for a body, similar hunting/fishing area to Seven Bridges Park.

Finally, I wondered where someone might live if they abducted in Evansdale and Brooklyn. The two rectangular boxes seem like possibilities.

Just feeling the weight of this case today. I woke up feeling very sad. I can’t even imagine how her parents are feeling.
Same. ( as my teen daughter would say!), I share your sadness. And (hope?), today. This is what keeps me coming here. I find kindred spirits here, who need a place to express our love and concern for everyone on this beautiful planet that we share, who are experiencing unthinkable suffering and pain at the hands of soulless monsters. Thank you for being here...

No one should know your passwords ... Why would LE have any need to read your texts in the case of a suicide...
I think alot of people know other peoples passwords . In the case of suicide, I would assume they would need that information to help rule out other causes as opposed to suicide. To confirm that it was an actual suicide so there is no question about cause of death.

This isn't the first time I've seen this mentioned, and I just don't get it. It's not like she was 10 miles out in the middle of nowhere with no close neighbors, she was at the edge of town where she could have walked anywhere she needed to go within a few minutes. Exactly what type of security would a car provide in her situation?
I also am not sure having the car would have given her much more security, especially while home. And, especially if she would be out jogging anyway. Maybe a 2nd car would have made the home more secure. After dark, I think having a car is more secure than walking the streets. I kinda get the creeps every time I'm at my parent's house walking to my car at night, but I grew up there and remember someone with a ski mask looking through a window on our front door. I remember that the "Live Forevers" outside my window were stepped on. It's right by a highway and maybe that's part of it. As soon I'm on the road and rolling forward, I feel so much better. I feel more secure in my apartment because there are so many people around. If I ever invest in a house, I'm probably going to get a German Shepherd, security system, and a 2nd car that get's moved around regularly, so those that don't live right across the street might assume someone else is there with me.

This!! And without makeup, Mollie looks quite young, especially with her hair in braids or ponytails.

Admittedly, the older I get, the more difficulty I have determining young peoples' ages, but to me, Mollie looks like what she is, an athletic, fit, young woman. I would never mistake her for a child, or even a young teenager. I do not think she looks like a child in the face. JMO

OT OT thanks to members who helped clarify this. I still believe the response is aggressive and unusual.
Ive been gone for almost 2 hours searching for where the number of FBI has been quoted and y'all seem to have sourced it up while I was down a rabbit hole.
All I have is this but it isn't even my original context. That obviously goes as far back as thread #7.

Family points to evidence that Mollie Tibbetts was using computer for homework the night she disappeared
July 30th
Over the weekend, Rahn said there were more than 30 agents on the ground in the Brooklyn area working the case.

College sophomore Mollie Tibbetts still missing after two weeks of searching
“Since July 19th, law enforcement and volunteers have searched tirelessly for Mollie,” Poweshiek County Sheriff Thomas Kriegel said at Tuesday’s press conference. “On any given day upwards of 30-40 investigators are working this case. Thus far, in excess of 200 leads have been followed up on.”

Former FBI agent discusses search for Mollie Tibbetts
I9: Former FBI agent discusses search for Mollie Tibbetts
<iframe src='KCRG Embedded Video Player' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' scrolling='no' style='max-width:100%'></iframe>

JMO

We keep going back to the fact that LE isn't warning about danger to the public, but I don't think they would unless they had some good reason to believe another attack was imminent. Realistically, what are they going to ask people to do? Not go outside? I lived in NYC until a few years ago and after 9/11 there were random times where LE warned of a higher risk of attack, and nothing ever happened. Then there were random terrorist attacks with no warning. Even after actual attempted attacks (like the Times Square bombing) Mayor Bloomberg got on TV and told people to go about the normal lives.

Unless there's some concrete evidence of something preventable happening, what is there to warn about? Presumably just announcing that there is a missing person would cause parents to keep a closer eye on their children and people to not venture out alone.

JMO

I honestly feel that there is some aspect of Mollie's case that alerted LE and the FBI to the most serious nature of this case in the beginning on or about the time DCI came in on the July 20th and FBI on the 24th. What explanation is there for 30-40 FBI agents converging on this small Iowa town?
State, federal investigators involved in search for missing UI student Mollie Tibbetts

Also, the manpower has been there pursuing this aggressively for over 4 weeks now. FBI would have gone home quick IMO if it was a small town local offender. I don't recall how long the FBI was in Evansdale (anyone know off hand?) but for Delphi girls they left on March 23rd, so about 40 days boots on the ground trying to solve the murders. That had the makings to be a solvable crime, after all.

We will see & I suppose time will tell.
JMO
I believe it’s a serial situation and LE /FBI knows it. Mollie’s case has the strongest digital footprint which leads to a strong belief by LE that this guy can be caught this is the reason FBI is involved.
Or so I think.

Hi Onescout,
FBI do come into cases when asked by LE on certain cases. Child abductions and crossing state lines come to mind as common right off the top, but FBI do also come in and support LE for the technological aspect also. But 30-40 is a large and aggressive show. Plus they came in hot and heavy early on.
State, federal investigators involved in search for missing UI student Mollie Tibbetts (JULY 24th)

So, I find it curious is all.

jmo
I get that, there’s no doubt that a town the size of Brooklyn would need as much help as they can get, I don't imagine they have near the resources required for the sophistication of the multiple data searches alone . I also know that rural America is under attack with Meth and Opiods and trafficking and the Feds know its getting out of control. They might be thinking there is a connect the dots situation here,although I really think they are there because the are really needed. Federal presence in rural crime situations isnt rare, it’s a matter of resources and manpower, actually I think it’s the county of Poweshiek Sheriff’s dept who is handling this, there is no Brooklyn police dept. So they need the Feds for sure. I grew up in a small town , we had two policemen ... two. Here;s a link on hte Brooklyn Iowa public safety situation....Poweshiek County Sheriff | Brooklyn Iowa

Does Brooklyn have Good Humor, Mr. Softee, BBQ or other such vendor trucks during the summer or at all?

I was tempted to fill the page with laughing smilies, but that wouldn't be appropriate so I'll just say "Not likely". They probably have some during the Flag Festival which coincides with Flag Day in June, but the rest of the year those vendors would be more likely head to towns where they can actually make some money.

At this stage in the game, with little information to go on, all we really have is speculation and our own theories. It is perfectly fine to disagree on here. However, with all due respect, in terms of intelligence you don't know me or who I am or where I've worked or what kind of experience I have. Personally, I try not to discount other people's personal experiences with the subject matter, especially when we're not getting a lot of other information filtering through to us.
Certainly no discounting of anyone's experience can be read into my words, and none intended. This won't be wrapped up like the crime show you referred to, either. I think we're all clear on that, on a site where you replied to my post, and I to yours. That's what we're doing here, offering theories.

I was tempted to fill the page with laughing smilies, but that wouldn't be appropriate so I'll just say "Not likely". They probably have some during the Flag Festival which coincides with Flag Day in June, but the rest of the year those vendors would be more likely head to towns where they can actually make some money.

I doubt they are thinking about ice cream at this time of need...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member