Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find myself wishing that I'd taken notes right from the start.

But, I'm certain that her mother said that there was an exchange of texts--something like:
"Are you coming over for dinner?"
"What is it?"
"Brats"
"ok"

With texts, there's always the possibility that someone else is texting, to deliberately mess up the timeline. But I wouldn't think that 8pm was too late to start out to get to a place a mile away.

Her family said she would never go off the grid and run away. “No, absolutely not. Mollie would never run off. I last spoke with her at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday night about what was for dinner. I told her brats. She said, ‘ok,'” her mother, Laura Calderwood, told KWWL-TV.

Mollie Tibbetts Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

———————

Calderwood said she had exchanged several text messages with her daughter that afternoon.

“She had sent me a shopping list for a dessert she wanted to make and take to work,” she said. “I texted her that I got the ingredients and asked if she was coming home for dinner.”

According to Calderwood, Tibbetts said she would be home and asked what they were having. “Brats,” she replied. “Ok,” Tibbetts responded.

But dinner came and went, Calderwood said, and Tibbetts didn’t come home.

Disappearance of University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts remains a mystery

Last edited:
Have they ruled out the hog farm that they were looking into? That really made my stomach sink when I heard that.

JMO
The inconsistency of the reporting in this case has been awful.

Why at this late in the game is it still unclear whether she was out jogging or not when she disappeared. Its not hard. What exact time was she last flagged by her phones GPS and where exactly was that.

LE does not want rumors and bad reporting but if they keep things close to their vest then that is exactly what is going to happen.

Have a feeling they are not telling media what they really know and that is why its so confusing to all of us and media too.

Taking everything with a grain of salt.

Just catching up on a few pages and a post (can’t remember who’s) made me think about something...
I know we have rehashed the frustration of not knowing how she planned to get to work in the morning (and that no one else seems to know), and that it may not be worrisome to her mom that she didn’t show for dinner, ***BUT wouldn’t she have needed transportation to her moms for dinner if that was the plan? Was one of her brothers supposed to drive her or had they discussed, or assumed that she would come on foot? She does not have a vehicle at this point either, soooo what was the plan? I’m guessing it was for her to come on foot because someone would have followed up or arrived to the boyfriends house to pick her up if not, correct? This bugs me as much as her unknown plans to get to work in the morning, unless it has already been answered.

IMOO
To me it sounds like it was normal for her to jog in the evening and if she decided to come to dinner to end her job at her mom's house. It may be that she started work at different times every day and that's why it didn't seem strange that she hasn't made arrangements. Her brother contacted her at 7:30am asking if she needed the car. Maybe no answer to him meant she was sleeping in and he just went about his day.

JMO

Why at this late in the game is it still unclear whether she was out jogging or not when she disappeared. Its not hard. What exact time was she last flagged by her phones GPS and where exactly was that.

LE does not want rumors and bad reporting but if they keep things close to their vest then that is exactly what is going to happen.

Have a feeling they are not telling media what they really know and that is why its so confusing to all of us and media too.

I agree - there are also small things that would indicate whether someone was recently inside a house that morning or not. Any seasoned detective would be able to look for signs indicating if she went missing that morning or the night before. But, maybe they have a reason for not relaying all the information that they have on hand.

My wife grew up in a similar area in NE. She told me it was not at all uncommon for runners to be struck by trucks hauling *advertiser censored** across the sections. Running at night in those areas is particularly dangerous with low visibility, young guys driving big trucks on dirt roads
There are many different models of Fitbit. Do we know which model Mollie had? I have a Flex 2. It's pretty basic, and I probably don't use all of the features. It syncs with an app on my cell phone and tells number of steps, number of calories burned, number of miles traveled. It knows if I am on a treadmill or a trail.

It syncs to the app with Bluetooth.

Also, I have to charge it every 2-3 days.

If she had her phone with her, as was her usual habit, and Location was turned on, I think the cell phone data would be far more useful than the Fitbit.

IMHO.
I heard it was an Alta I believe in a video but they used the prop of my purple Fitbit Charge...so I am unclear on that but that’s pretty important

JMO

It would be nice to just take the information that was actually said at the press conference and the information that came directly from press releases and take that as the only evidence that we know for sure. Everything else can be misreported, twisted, made up, etc. Hell, I remember right after the press conference there was a news report that had an incorrect headline.

I think she made it home from running due to the Snapchat to BF...who would send a Good Night Snapchat at 7:30 pm before their run? Something happened after that...perhaps lured outside...perhaps picked up by somebody she knew...or they just dropped by. I hope they were able to glean something from it.
The only thing I thought was maybe it wasn't a goodnight snap - he said he opened it at 10 (he can't tell what time it was sent) but couldn't remember what it said. If he's in construction he would have been tired after work. My dad would work starting at about sunrise in the summer (cool part of the day) and finish about 3. Then drive home, eat something and promptly fall asleep on the couch for a few hours. Then get up for a couple hours before he headed to bed.

From the link:

As the search for Mollie Tibbetts continued Friday, Rick Rahn, a special agent in charge at the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation (DCI), told Fox News that they "anticipate additional sites" will come into the picture.

“We’re looking at anybody and everybody that would lead us to locating her," he said, noting that “her missing is suspicious” and that authorities are “hoping to locate her sooner than later."

Rahn also told Fox News that investigators have received "zero information" indicating that Tibbetts was a runaway or had a medical reason for her disappearance.

IMO I’m an avid runner, I don’t miss a day of running a 5K! I have numerous apps that I use but I always use one that is called run trackers and all I do is open that app before my “nightly” run and hit start and it tracks my run on google maps and it alerts me when I am at 1 mile then two miles etc and when I hit 3.1 miles I click stop and then it brings up a page that shows me on google maps exactly where I ran and where I hit each mile at its so detailed! This is a free app, what I’m getting at being an avid runner I physically like to see that I have hit my 3.1 miles I don’t trust myself to judge that I have ran 3 I need proof even though I do this everyday! I’m sure Mollie had an app like this if she ran daily! Another think I’m 10 years older than Mollie but I do run at night sometimes I have a special small loop around my house that takes me like 20 laps to hit a mile but I feel safe if I do have to run at night and sometimes I do run with a firearm attached to a leg holster that is comfortably attached to my leg and I can get to quickly! I feel investigators have a lot to comb through on that phone because I can name about 5 apps at minimum that tracks my run everyday! I feel it may take them a little time to get this info especially since they do not have her phone but given time will become fruitful! Prayers for her family and whole town!

JMO

I go only by what LE officialy stated. And LE has been clear. They've given the info they can give. They're not going to release more just to stop rumors which won't stop anyhow.

They stated she was jogging from 7:30-7:45.

I mean I don't think it is at all unclear to LE whether she disappeared while out jogging. I agree with you. They are withholding things. But don't you think the risk of rumors is far less important than solving the case by protecting the investigation?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.th...itbit-investigation-20180727?template=amphtml

Tibbetts’ disappearance has fueled rampant speculation and rumors online, with social media users and self-proclaimed “web sleuths” posting theories, narratives and potentially inaccurate information and statistics.

Rahn said recent social media posts have focused on the number of people, especially juveniles, that have been reported missing in recent days, weeks, and months.

That's an interesting comment. What do you mean by "edgy"? I can see that in a small community that's been fairly stable for decades, if not generations, then most people will have a history of some sort with a significant number of other inhabitants. Any of those negative histories could boil over into violence or criminality in the right (or wrong) circumstances.
Knowledge of the people around you, such as a person generally has in abundance a small town, does not always reassure the person. Forewarned is forearmed of course but adds the edge.

Updated 2 hrs 3 mins ago
Missing college student Mollie Tibbetts: A timeline

"I read somewhere that she was running in a cornfield. That's obviously not true," Kim Calderwood, her aunt, said. "The run happened and then she was at the house as far as we know. I don't think she would've run in the dark."

Family and friends expand the search for Mollie Tibbetts

"We are one week into the investigation. Mollie disappeared last Wednesday evening on July 18th. Ever since then the investigation has been at full speed. We feel pretty confident with the timeline we've put together and the direction of travel she was going when she was on her run," said Mitch Mortvedt with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation.

Mortvedt says Mollie was dropped off at her boyfriend's home by her older brother Jake at 5:30PM on Wednesday. They now know Mollie went on a run around 7:30-8PM and returned to that home safely.

So, there's two different sources that she returned home safely. I know I was of mind something happened while running, and it's hard to leave that completely. But I try to keep an open mind to all scenarios.
I saw several sources she was Running in a cornfield which was ridiculous when they’re that thick that tall and those leaves would shred you to pieces. I assume she normally ran by cornfields which is where it got misconstrued. That’s why I questioned if they took dogs on her routes to see if somebody didn’t drag her into one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member