Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Without a police report from November 14 2017 regarding a missing 12 year old in a pink coat, I can't dismiss it.
Absolutely. We cannot dismiss any potential evidence/senario. And even if there was a missing 12 year old, it doesn't mean that someone wasn't watching her and possibly the missing persons case at the same time and was playing with her.

If the absence of Mollie is not evidence of a crime, are we assuming that she just ran off with a confused friend who is kindly taking care of her? Are we to believe that Mollie simply doesn't care enough about her family and friends to come forward, or is she being held against her will?
To be honest with you I think the real answer may not fit neatly into that either/or mold.

If the absence of Mollie is not evidence of a crime, are we assuming that she just ran off with a confused friend who is kindly taking care of her? Are we to believe that Mollie simply doesn't care enough about her family and friends to come forward, or is she being held against her will?
Even if she got into a car willingly, the ONLY reason she has not returned is if she is being held against her will or she is no longer with us. So either way it is a crime.

Has anyone noticed that our conversations here at WS have all shifted to a scenario where Mollie never returned from her run? I still believe she made it home from her run, and maybe that’s why I have problems with all this talk of how somebody could incapacitate her and snatch her off the street. Has anything yet contradicted earlier speculation that Mollie was in the house doing homework later in the evening?
I feel that she was at home when things happened. I can't come up with a scenario of what might have happened, especially when all of her running stuff is missing too. Though I know when I carried mail in the hot summer, I didn't always shower as soon as I got home. I liked to cool down thoroughly before I jumped in the shower.

or trash cans

It's been too long to check trash cans and dumpsters. However, at the moment she was grabbed she may have dropped something. Dru Sjodin's abductor dropped his knife sheath when he grabbed her from a shopping mall parking lot in daylight. That told police where she disappeared and why. If she was grabbed and thrown into the back seat of a vehicle or in the back of a van, something might have fallen in the struggle. I think that's an important route to walk.

Absolutely. We cannot dismiss any potential evidence/senario. And even if there was a missing 12 year old, it doesn't mean that someone wasn't watching her and possibly the missing persons case at the same time and was playing with her.
True, but there is PLENTY we can rule out based on the facts of this case. I think the perp disguised as a cop looking for a lost little girl in a pink coat is definitely one of them!

To be honest with you I think the real answer may not fit neatly into that either/or mold.

We know that Mollie's father is very hopeful that she is well, unharmed, with someone who cares about her and who may just have things wrong in his head, and that he discusses her in the context of returning to her studies next semester (Jan 2019). We all hope this is the case.

The Poweshiek County fair was going on the week of Mollie's disappearance, I assumed that was what claire_parker was talking about.

That being said, Wednesday the 19th was just move-in day, there wouldn't have been anything going on to attract anyone to the fair unless they were showing livestock.
I thought there was a field trip to the fair with her daycare the day after she disappeared on Thursday?

I'm not assuming that at all. It's a simple fact that there is no physical evidence of a crime. I can't extrapolate beyond. Perhaps your assumption is based more on emotions than mine, and that's okay.

Has anyone noticed that our conversations here at WS have all shifted to a scenario where Mollie never returned from her run? I still believe she made it home from her run, and maybe that’s why I have problems with all this talk of how somebody could incapacitate her and snatch her off the street. Has anything yet contradicted earlier speculation that Mollie was in the house doing homework later in the evening?
I also believe she made it back from her run and willingly left with someone but didn't intend on being gone long and somewhere things went wrong.

It's that her workout clothes are missing and LE statements about being last seen running, last communications, etc...that most people are now leaning towards being abducted on the run.

For some reason though, I believe she did make it back from the run safely.

I feel that she was at home when things happened. I can't come up with a scenario of what might have happened, especially when all of her running stuff is missing too. Though I know when I carried mail in the hot summer, I didn't always shower as soon as I got home. I liked to cool down thoroughly before I jumped in the shower.

I also believe she made it back from her run and willingly left with someone but didn't intend on being gone long and somewhere things went wrong.

It's that her workout clothes are missing and LE statements about being last seen running, last communications, etc...that most people are now leaning towards being abducted on the run.

For some reason though, I believe she did make it back from the run safely.

Assuming for a moment that she went jogging at 7:30 PM for 45 minutes, returned to the house-sit at 8:15. Sunset is at 8:40, 25 minutes later.

What does she do next?

Last edited:
Here’s what bothers me... by now LE certainly should know whether Mollie made it home or not. They’ve had plenty of time and access to enough records to establish when her electronic trail ends. If she never made it home from her run they should feel confident enough to call this an abduction. At a bare minimum they should publicly confirm that previous speculation that she was home later in the evening is false. How could it possibly hurt the investigation to confirm Mollie didn’t leave voluntarily? Unless she did.

The Poweshiek County fair was going on the week of Mollie's disappearance, I assumed that was what claire_parker was talking about.

That being said, Wednesday the 19th was just move-in day, there wouldn't have been anything going on to attract anyone to the fair unless they were showing livestock.

Assuming for a moment that she went jogging at 7:30 PM for 45 minutes, returned to the house-sit at 8:15. Sunset is at 8:40, 25 minutes later.

What does she do next?

Homework? Snapchat DJ? (Sure would be nice to know what she was wearing in that snap.)

Find something to eat? Take a shower? (But then why are the running clothes missing?)

Answer a knock on the door?
Leave the house again? (To walk to mom's for the car?)

I don't really have the answers but I keep remembering the dad's statement about how they "sorta know what happened, sorta know how it happened, sorta know where it took place, but there is no why, it makes no sense." That statement coupled with his other statements lead me to believe she got in a car and left with someone. Maybe before she actually made it back inside the home.

What does she do next?
Since she called her mom at around 7:30 and never made it to her mom's for dinner, she might have grabbed something quick to eat (involving little or no preparation) in the kitchen, sat down still in her jogging clothes with fitbit still on at the table, snapped a quick snapchat picture and sent it to her boyfriend, put her phone back in her pocket, and then proceeded to work on a homework assignment involving reading, research, or something that didn't involve listening to audio while listening to her music (I always listened to music while doing homework in college). Maybe she planned to bring the dogs back upstairs and take a shower just before going to bed.
While she was doing her homework there may have been a knock at the door and someone known or somewhat known to her convinced her to come outside and get in a car with them, or an intruder or intruders let themselves in and she was overpowered and carried out of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missygirl26