Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They don't seem to be releasing very much about her transportation arrangements other than the brother dropping her off from somewhere.
I think this is purposeful, but couldn't say as to whether it's to safeguard their investigation or to prevent people from going crazy at someone who is not a suspect but happens to drive her to work sometimes (or both)...

Not arresting is not close to the same thing as clearing.

It seems like they really don't need our help at all at this point. They seem to know what they're doing and the direction they're going.

I mean as bad as the information flow has been I get this sense of strong focus.

Is this the worst you've seen? My head is spinning.
no

The vast majority of the inconsistencies have turned out to be bad reporting, not LE.

What has the Ames police department got to do with this case anyway?

Mollie's boyfriend's brothers were working in Ames when she went missing. Are they at all part of this investigation? What right do they have to give updates and "clear things up"?

From Facebook. Official Ames PD page

Ames Police Department
3 hrs ·
We are re-posting this information and want to help clarify the information shared earlier this week. Mollie did not disappear while running, rather, at some point after 10pm on July 18 after messaging her boyfriend. She was staying at her boyfriend's brother's house in Brooklyn, Iowa.

We also want to point your attention to the story about 40 people going missing every day in Iowa. The statistic is technically true, however, according to the Iowa Department of Public Safety, the "vast majority" of missing persons are found or return within 24 hours. Typically these are runaway situations and there has not been an increase in recent weeks.

Please help us share this information to help find Mollie.

Ames Police Department

Boyfriend's brothers were staying in Ames when Mollie went missing. I also saw where neighboring law enforcement offices were called in for assistance on the first day.

Volunteers in search of missing 20-year-old reach out in Newton | Newton Daily News

"On day 1 of the effort, the Jasper County law enforcement answered a request for assistance from the Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office, sending reserve deputies and personnel to aid the search."

Last edited:
I live just outside Brooklyn, and work in town. This year's graduating class had roughly 40 kids in it- kids that grew up together and many of their parents are friends, siblings are friends. I'm sure he considers Mollie a friend, as she probably does him. Being such a small town (and school) most of the kids are a close group. I overheard one mention that she can't date most of the guys in school because they are like her brothers.
As we all know, life gets in the way, especially if you are a busy young adult- it'd be easy to get caught up with work and family and school, go a month and not speak to someone you were close to all your life.

Yes you are very right. I should not have said that about the friend thing.
Sorry about that

Mollie's boyfriend's brothers were working in Ames when she went missing. Are they at all part of this investigation? What right do they have to give updates and "clear things up"?

My understanding is that they gave misinformation over social media earlier in the week and this post was an attempt to clarify that misinformation (but actually introduced more unconfirmed information with the 10pm thing).

I live just outside Brooklyn, and work in town. This year's graduating class had roughly 40 kids in it- kids that grew up together and many of their parents are friends, siblings are friends. I'm sure he considers Mollie a friend, as she probably does him. Being such a small town (and school) most of the kids are a close group. I overheard one mention that she can't date most of the guys in school because they are like her brothers.
As we all know, life gets in the way, especially if you are a busy young adult- it'd be easy to get caught up with work and family and school, go a month and not speak to someone you were close to all your life.
Thank you for your post and welcome!!
Yes, it sounds like a very small, close-knit community. Just jumping off your post, but in the interview she asked him “when was the last time you spoke to Mollie” and he said about a month ago. He and Mollie could’ve been best buds and texting with each other every hour for all we know. I don’t think most kids talk on the phone that much anymore...mainly just texting with each other.

Last edited:
I hope LE has a bunch of leads but is keeping very quiet about anything other than the basics of the last day she was seen/heard from, not holding press conferences, not really clarifying misinformation other than to encourage people to stop spreading rumours, etc. because they are THIS CLOSE to finding Mollie or major evidence that she did not leave voluntarily and that a crime was committed in her disappearance. Hoping, praying, wishing she is found physically unharmed, and her family, friends, and community get to be with her again soon. It's so terrible for her to be separated from her loved ones, and with no idea what happened or where to look for her.

I agree in general, but I do think something like how she often gets to work is easy enough to find out from her family and friends. I just meant I can see multiple reasons why they might not share that information.

I agree.

I feel like the only major reason for safeguarding so much is because they believe she is alive (which I’m praying is ge case) and in danger. Maybe if they give too much out there that they know then she would be in more harms way. But then I also keep thinking the other way and maybe they are out of clues. This is all MOO of course

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow