Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
At the summer day camp, where my son worked, they passed the bright yellow shirts out to the counselors the day or 2 before, but many employees would leave them in the office and put them on the morning of the field trip, when they arrived at work. Lots of the kids had things to do right after their shifts and wouldn't want to go to their next thing wearing a 'Kids Kamp' T-shirt.

Also, the owners used to take all the employees field trip shirts and wash them and save them in a big box, for the next trip. Employees come and go so sometimes they gather them, and keep the field trip shirts in the office to hand out the next time they are needed.
When I volunteered for the local YMCA, I got one free staff t-shirt. Everyone got one free shirt, took them home, and wore them on field trips. After field trips, everyone wore them home and washed them to wear for the next field trip. If Mollie had been on a previous field trip (very likely since it's almost the end of summer) she would have worn the shirt and wore it home to wash it.

nooo.. I think he needs looking at! he may well just be like us and interested in these cases and like I said before
( maybe he isn't 100% ) but its definitely not normal to be making videos like that.

It says Rock Bridge high school which is exactly 4 hours south of Brooklyn if you Google it. Maybe that's why he is hearing about it so much. There's more than one video about her though in his stuff.

Last edited:
I don't think they actually are taking her data and matching it to others' data at each location. I think they mean they can take her location data and then physically go there in the real world and gather additional information through police work like interviewing, looking for video, using other available information like weather data, etc.

In Missy Bever's case LE brought in "Stingray"technology that acted as a cell tower to intercept all the pings in the area. They used it near the church where Missy died.

NYPD To Use Tracking Experts To Assist Bevers’ Murder Investigation

"Sources say they hope the killer, dressed in police gear, had an active phone that sent signals to surrounding cell towers as he – or she – confronted Bevers with a hammer.

Those signals could then draw a blueprint leading back to the attacker’s identity, investigators told CBS11.

They said no one is better at doing that than the NYPD. They have been known to use sophisticated tracking devices called “Stingrays.” According to the American Civil Liberties Union, since 2008 the NYPD has used the technology in about 1000 cases.

The cell site simulators mimic cell towers.

“[A phone] will automatically connect to the Stingray without any control from the user. It mines data off the phone, very quickly,” said Pete Schulte, former police officer and criminal defense attorney."

more at link

Exactly, Resee. I may have missed explanation being new too, but the cancel and the "look in Utah" right off the bat seem like they believe(d) she took off on nher own.

Can anyone set us straight?

Six days ago, July 23rd, LE did think she may have left town:

The Utah LE were asking UT residents because Mollie has relatives who live there.

"Police in southern Utah are asking the public to be on the lookout for a missing Iowa woman who they say has family connections in southern Utah. The Iron County Sheriff’s Office shared a missing person’s poster Monday morning for 20-year-old Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts."

Then on the 27th LE stated this:

Authorities say that as more time passes without finding her, they increasingly suspect she was abducted.

Police in southern Utah ask residents to be on lookout for missing Iowa woman

In Missy Bever's case LE brought in "Stingray"technology that acted as a cell tower to intercept all the pings in the area. They used it near the church where Missy died.

NYPD To Use Tracking Experts To Assist Bevers’ Murder Investigation

"Sources say they hope the killer, dressed in police gear, had an active phone that sent signals to surrounding cell towers as he – or she – confronted Bevers with a hammer.

Those signals could then draw a blueprint leading back to the attacker’s identity, investigators told CBS11.

They said no one is better at doing that than the NYPD. They have been known to use sophisticated tracking devices called “Stingrays.” According to the American Civil Liberties Union, since 2008 the NYPD has used the technology in about 1000 cases.

The cell site simulators mimic cell towers.

“[A phone] will automatically connect to the Stingray without any control from the user. It mines data off the phone, very quickly,” said Pete Schulte, former police officer and criminal defense attorney."

more at link
That article is also slightly misleading, I think. The Stingray is not the same as the help they provided analyzing the existing data. The Stingray technology works on new data (gathering more than a regular cell tower) but doesn’t go back in time. It can only collect from what’s going on around it. This quote from the article explains kind of:

“If someone keeps coming back to the crime scene, which happens a lot in murder cases, they are going to be able to identify the person because of the data coming from the Stingray,” said Schulte.

Six days ago, July 23rd, LE did think she may have left town:

The Utah LE were asking UT residents because Mollie has relatives who live there.

"Police in southern Utah are asking the public to be on the lookout for a missing Iowa woman who they say has family connections in southern Utah. The Iron County Sheriff’s Office shared a missing person’s poster Monday morning for 20-year-old Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts."

Then on the 27th LE stated this:

Authorities say that as more time passes without finding her, they increasingly suspect she was abducted.

Police in southern Utah ask residents to be on lookout for missing Iowa woman
Thank you!

Wonder if there is a way to detect which phones were last nearest to her phone...sci-fyish but would be good.
See, that they could probably do by looking at cell tower data. Like in the article @gliving posted. I don’t know what the privacy implications/ laws are though.

ETA, and I don’t think it would be nearest exactly, more like using the same tower. Which might be everyone in town depending on how many towers are nearby. I remember someone looking it up but I don’t remember the details.

Just wanted to bring this over to the new thread. It was in response to a poster asking if the public should receive more information. thank you for reading.

Oh I totally agree with you. I always remember back to Hannah Graham and when she went missing. Chief Logo held a press conference every single day.

That city supported the police with lunch and dinner served every day so policemen could focus on finding Hannah.

Cameras were found and video was shown to the public of Hannah's last walk. They got their man thanks to all of the fine police work and pictures and video's shown.

Jesse Matthew, the man that killed her, was found on a beach down in Florida by a woman who had seen the case on tv. They even solved the Morgan Harrington case with that capture. Great police work Chief Logo. He is surely my hero!

100% agree. Our buddy Foxfire was such a comfort to me when we were looking for Sierah, and I firmly believe what he used to say. LE has to start using their greatest resource...the PUBLIC. The time for secrecy is OVER. That "integrity" of the case...idk, i just don't believe that anymore. THE most important thing is finding the abducted.

This tweet of Mollie's is interesting.

I wonder how often Mollie was planning to have semesters of less than twelve credit hours. At the University of Iowa, a student needs twelve or more to be full time and avoid all kinds of extra charges.

I wonder if she had been living in one of the residence halls and what her plans are going forward.

She is planning on 12 or 13 which is considered to be fulltime

You'd have to get records for all the cell phone towers in the area. You'd know where everyone was and what they were doing (via cell phone activity.)

The Stingray acts as a cell tower to intercept the pings. Plus it's able to download the phone data. No need for records/warrants. That's why the ACLU is against it.

From same article:

Stingray phone tracker - Wikipedia

You'd have to get records for all the cell phone towers in the area. You'd know where everyone was and what they were doing (via cell phone activity.)

In an area this small it might even be doable. Especially if LE has a narrower time than they have told the public.

They could look at everyone who was pinging in the area. Then look them up and see if they had a reason to be there and if they have a history or connection to Mollie. Then, they could interview them if they felt it was worthwhile.

Anyone local know how many cell towers there are?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainsilversquirrel