Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone close to her would know she was alone through the night until she left for work. Lot of time before others would begin looking for her.

Who better to pick you up for work than a co-worker? Who would you readily let in the door, into a car with to go to work, or take you to your mom's to grab your shirt? Who may already have your shirt in their car from a previous ride and brought it over? Who also knows where you are, and who is or is not there....

Last edited:
New details emerge in case of missing University of Iowa student

Wow, is this new? This is from the video at the link, around 1:41:

A reporter says, “Late today, investigators told us they have completed a timeline of Mollie’s run using her Fitbit data, where her cell phone pinged towers, and where witnesses saw her running. Jeff, their timeline ends where they think she went missing. They don’t think she left by choice, or made it back to the house that night.”

This is weird because in the article they mention the family was told she was doing homework late into the evening, and her laptop was found in the house. That doesn't make sense if they now think she never made it home.

Happy Hello All. I finally made it through all of the threads. I tried very hard not to reply until I finished. The ACLU comment hit a nerve!

After reading all, I still hold firm the public is not being used efficiently by LE. There may be a reason why - but I fail to see the benefit since this is DAY 10 or 11!

Also I have a comment/question about her wallet being left at the house.

If the time line stops for LE with her jogging than why couldn't/wouldn't she be wearing one of those bands with arm bands with pockets where you put your phone, your keys if you want, an id perhaps, a few dollars maybe. When I go to the gym I never carry my purse or the monster wallet that resides in my purse. I selectively pull out my drivers license, my medical insurance cards, my debit card, and a few dollars, slip my phone in it strap it to my upper arm and off I go. When I get to the gym I slip my keys in it. That way I don't have to lug anything around while I exercise. I wonder if Mollie used one?

As an aside, most here don't know I was carjacked at gunpoint a few years ago - since that event I carry a pepperspray-teargas with its own glove made for joggers every time I leave my home or car. I wish all girls would start doing this, if they aren't going to carry a gun. I believe we have to plan for the worst and hope for the best -

that means locking doors! Running with others if at all possible. Not answering your door if you are not expecting the person on the other side of it. And being ready to defend yourself in a heartbeat.

Back to Mollie. I wonder if she called her mom about what's for dinner during her run/cooldown and then decided to go somewhere to pick something up to eat around town or order something to be delivered? I don't think I read that here yet as a possibility. If I just stepped on someone's toes, I am sorry - not intentional at all.

I have lived in very small towns in Iowa all my life. After church today, my granddaughter went for her run. I asked her to stay in her residential area (which is not fun for a long distance runner). She knows about Mollie and agreed so as not to worry me. I made her text as she left and returned. She texted "I'm home and guess what I saw?" She had seen one of Mollie's missing posters. I have followed many cases on WS but this one really hits home for several reasons. I have nothing to add to the discussion except for prayers for Mollie and all who love her.

Unfortunately there is "radio silence" with most cases after FBI gets involved.
Also, am not naming names, but maybe a co worker obsessed, was her rise to work.
A coworker or maybe someone who worked at the medical center. I imagine quite a few people live in Brooklyn and work in Grinnell.

Thanks everyone for all the replies about that. Some good points made.

I guess I was hoping with LE and FBI technology that they have that they may have complicated algorithms that could list certain numbers in priority order and maybe with a list like that it may give them at least some possible prospects to look at.

For example if a phone number of another person X just happened to be turned off 1 minute before her phone was turned off and the tower was the same tower and maybe they even can get the GPS coordinates and saw they were identical then that would be a high candidate of someone to take a closer look at.
With such a relatively small town I would think they would have more luck with something like that than compared to a major city.

But yea I have no idea about the laws of such type of queries and whether its even legal for LE to be polling other numbers besides just hers.

Maybe its well within their right already so long as its just certain types of queries.

The good news is I am sure FBI is thinking along these lines and they are doing all they can do I am sure.

Thanks again for all the replies about it. Its great to hear other peoples opinions on something like this.

I’d bet this could be done for crimes that are on LE radar. Surveillance type efforts so that they know exactly which towers and time periods to begin/end. I am just not sure if it can be done retroactively. I guess they do have to track it in some instances though, like when your phone begins and ends roaming. Out of service range/back online. It may be that it records that data when certain conditions are met, rather than recording every bit of it.

Interesting thought and strategy

This is weird because in the article they mention the family was told she was doing homework late into the evening, and her laptop was found in the house. That doesn't make sense if they now think she never made it home.
Our local news just reported that it is unknown whether she did her homework before or after her run.

New details emerge in case of missing University of Iowa student

Wow, is this new? This is from the video at the link, around 1:41:

A reporter says, “Late today, investigators told us they have completed a timeline of Mollie’s run using her Fitbit data, where her cell phone pinged towers, and where witnesses saw her running. Jeff, their timeline ends where they think she went missing. They don’t think she left by choice, or made it back to the house that night.”

The only thing new I garnered from the above link is the confirmation that law enforcement told the family about the homework, but not the time. To my knowledge, LE still has not publicly made this announcement, but gave permission to the family to speak about this.

"...Her older brother, Jake Tibbetts, said investigators told him evidence from her computer shows she was doing homework on the computer July 18, the night she went missing. But authorities declined to confirm a specific time, citing the active investigation..."

Last edited:

This article didn’t specify a time she was doing homework that evening. Maybe she did homework before heading out on her run?

So to recap, it could be stranger abduction, non stranger abduction, alien abduction, voluntary disappearance, what else am i missing?

Involuntary disappearance due to a medical or other condition. For example that Canadian firefighter who had that ski accident when visiting New York a few months ago. When he woke up he was in California, with no idea how he got there. It's a long shot, but it's possible.

The only thing new I garnered from the above link is that law enforcement told the family about the homework, but not the time. To my knowledge, LE still has not publicly made this announcement, but gave permission to the family to speak about this.

"...Her older brother, Jake Tibbetts, said investigators told him evidence from her computer shows she was doing homework on the computer July 18, the night she went missing. But authorities declined to confirm a specific time, citing the active investigation..."
That fits with the report just on our local newscast. Could have been before or after her run.

Hi all, I'm new here. I actually found WS while searching on twitter for updates on the case and have been following along since the start. This case has really affected me and I can't stop refreshing for updates. I am praying everyday that Mollie makes it back home. For some reason I just can't shake the feeling that she is still alive.

To me it has always made the most sense that something happened to her while on the run based on the missing fitbit and phone but wallet and glasses etc. being at home. I am an avid runner as well and I will always have my fitbit on and my phone in an armband but everything else stays at home. I can be overly paranoid but thinking about running in a rural area like that gives me chills. I grew up in a similar environment but currently live in a major urban centre. When I go back home to visit I refuse to go running there as I feel there is so much more opportunity for something to happen simply based on the lack of witnesses.

I truly hope that something major happens soon and Mollie's family is given closure. Ideally she comes home safe and sound. I am really worried that this will end up similar to the Lauren Spierer case where if I am correct there has still never been any answers.

Involuntary disappearance due to a medical or other condition. For example that Canadian firefighter who had that ski accident when visiting New York a few months ago. When he woke up he was in California, with no idea how he got there. It's a long shot, but it's possible.
And also as someone wrote threads ago, killed accidentally - car? - and body hidden.

If a missing person turns up on their own, or LE finds the adult and determines their actions voluntary, they might not disclose where the person is or was found, unless given permission by the person. That would be the extent of privacy offered. Police would call off a search if they believed the departure of an adult was voluntary. I don't believe Mollie voluntarily disappeared, and her privacy not a factor today. Do you think she voluntarily left?
I don’t know whether Molly disappeared voluntarily (don’t think I implied that I did), just wondering whether LE has to consider that possibility before releasing more detailed info to the public (for example who was she in contact with that day or leading up to that day, were there any family issues, any mental health concerns, etc).

And, you said “Police would call off a search if they believed the departure of an adult was voluntary.” But didn’t LE call off the searches for Molly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grimlockedin