Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if the cell phone protocol necessary tells the company if the phone was turned off. Cell phones can also stop talking to the tower for other reasons.

There are also only four US Cellular towers within a decent range of Brooklyn and I think they'd all be hitting the tower near the Interstate since it is the closest, assuming you can calculate distance only you're basically looking at the population of the city. There may be other towers for other carriers but I don't know if they're going to be getting good triangulation data, the problem with a small city.

I believe there are legal ways to do what you are thinking of, and the FBI knows the proper procedures already.

It would be a ton of data storage if they monitored and logged whenever a phone stopped connecting to a tower. I’d think it could be done, but probably with a specific legal request. I can’t imagine companies storing that information for every phone in the country

With the new privacy laws, can LE get phone records for everyone? It seems so broad. I am not against it but I can imagine people would argue against it

I have a friend who I discussed this with after Missy Beavers’ murder. She was adamantly opposed to this sort of broad surveillance, even if someone’s child is missing or a terrible crime was committed. But when I asked if she would be ok with it if it were her kid, she said she would want to surveil everything and everyone using any means necessary. I didn’t understand.

Strange things I’ve noticed…Mollie had tons of pictures with her dad, but I can’t find one with her mom. Mollie was invited for dinner and she didn’t show up. Who makes extra food and sets out an extra plate, then thinks it normal for the person to not show up? And not call with an explanation? The brothers are surprised Mollie didn’t make it to work, but she had no way to get there. I wonder if the information is inaccurate or if there was a big family rift? There are no clues showing foul play on her route or where she was living. No one came forward and says they were going to give her a ride to work and noticed she wasn’t home that morning. Mollie was sharing the car, but for the 2 days her boyfriend was out of town, she didn’t have the car and was left at the home with no vehicle. Is there any chance someone stayed with her that night and no one knew about it? Could that have been her plan, and that person would have been the one that was going to drive her to work? Either that or someone took advantage her vulnerable situation.

I am thinking dinner wasn’t “sit down” but more of an open invitation of what’s being prepared if one wants to drop by.

exactly my thinking and who says she didn't have any way of getting to work? I read she was offered a lift home but didn't reply! she could of been getting a lift off someone else or had planned taking a bus. Mollies mum said in the interview that Mollie was comfortable on camera but she wasn't. maybe she didn't like having her picture taken and that's why shes not on her SM

Someone close to her would know she was alone through the night until she left for work. Lot of time before others would begin looking for her.

Yup. And she wouldn’t struggle if she left with someone she knew well. Even if someone surprised her in the house while she slept, I’d be surprised with absolutely zero signs of struggle at all.

Have they addressed if there is danger to the community yet?

With the new privacy laws, can LE get phone records for everyone? It seems so broad. I am not against it but I can imagine people would argue against it
I know in Texas, Judges are on call 24/7 to sign a warrant. A warrant is all that is required to get the phone records and it was earlier reported that LE secured warrants for all Mollie's media and phone accounts about the time 15 FBI agents came on board.

Totally agree. With the information coming out, I feel that they don’t think that she’s alive. If they did think she was alive, saying that they are using Fitbit data could endanger her. I think they know most of what happened and who was at fault, and it’s a game of strategy now.
I agree. I don't feel they have been searching in a manner to indicate they are searching for someone alive. It looks more like recovery when searching corn fields, pig farms, and rivers.

Yup. And she wouldn’t struggle if she left with someone she knew well. Even if someone surprised her in the house while she slept, I’d be surprised with absolutely zero signs of struggle at all.

I haven't seen any official mention of danger to the community.

Just wanted to bring this over to the new thread. It was in response to a poster asking if the public should receive more information. thank you for reading.

Oh I totally agree with you. I always remember back to Hannah Graham and when she went missing. Chief Logo held a press conference every single day.

That city supported the police with lunch and dinner served every day so policemen could focus on finding Hannah.

Cameras were found and video was shown to the public of Hannah's last walk. They got their man thanks to all of the fine police work and pictures and video's shown.

Jesse Matthew, the man that killed her, was found on a beach down in Florida by a woman who had seen the case on tv. They even solved the Morgan Harrington case with that capture. Great police work Chief Logo. He is surely my hero!

That was a totally different scenario. They had the perp on video...they just needed a name. There was justification for releasing that detail.
The decision to release information to the public, and what to release,and when to release it, varies from case to case. It should not be a one size fits all. The public is not entitled to any information unless there is a danger to all citizens. LE has to guard sensitive information for many reasons, and they need to protect the integrity of their case so that the guilty party can be convicted. Releasing information to satisfy the curiosity of the public is probably the worst reason of all and it can definitely hurt the case if and when it gets to court.

This is one of the reasons why I think she left with someone she knew. I think with the wallet, ID and glasses still there it could have been something really small like "hey come with me to the store before I take you to work" kind of thing. Almost like the person who she left with she was expecting something short. Could have even happened later in the evening say after studying.

The Stingray acts as a cell tower to intercept the pings. Plus it's able to download the phone data. No need for records/warrants. That's why the ACLU is against it.

From same article:
“[A phone] will automatically connect to the Stingray without any control from the user. It mines data off the phone, very quickly,” said Pete Schulte, former police officer and criminal defense attorney."

Stingray phone tracker - Wikipedia

I am all for this technology if it will help find a missing person. I can't understand why the ACLU works so hard to help criminals be more successful! Of course that is just my personal point of view after working for over 40 years to try and get new laws in place to undo what the ACLU set in place which hurt efforts to locate missing people - both children and adults, mainly women. Women buried in walls but LE was prevented from entering because of the killer's privacy protection. A child buried alive under a trailer yet police had to work for two weeks to gather enough 'probable cause' to search the plot - and of course the little one had died. I have notebooks full of cases. I am all for cameras in public places and LE having access to private security footage in the case of a missing person. We still have a ways to go in my opinion to set the pendulum back to where PUBLIC SAFETY IS at least as important as personal privacy!

Last edited:
Didn't look at their website, but it's pretty common for schools to have a flat fee for 12-17 hours that comes out to be a better per-hour rate than paying for classes by the hour if you have fewer than 12. Sometimes parking is included in residence hall fees for on-campus students, whereas off-campus students have to buy parking passes. Etc.

I also did a summer program when I was an undergrad and then kept my classes at 12 credits for the last few years. Pretty normal and makes your schedule less hectic. To do that however, was basically a full day program for most of the summer. I'm guessing she was doing online if she had a full time job? IMO online classes kind of suck for a number of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Helengably