Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If Mollie's fitbit and phone are missing, but her wallet and glasses were found in the house, I would assume that she went missing during waking hours (she was wearing her fitbit and had the phone in a pocket--which would be unlikely if she were in her pajamas in bed). I would also assume that she did not go missing at the time she was heading off to work as she likely would have brought her wallet and glasses to her job. I'm undecided if I think she was abducted during her jog or sometime after.

The snapchat photo that her bf opened around 10pm could have been taken when she first arrived at his home around 5:30pm--maybe it was her way of communicating that she was there and the dogs were being cared for.

I'd love to know if LE determined if she slept in her bed that night and/or showered at some point. Were any of her jogging clothing or shoes found at the home--would it be normal for her to change or remain in her athletic clothing? Any dinner or breakfast dishes? Did the dogs have fresh food/water? Had the dogs had any 'accidents' in the basement, suggesting they had been left unattended for longer than normal? LE states that they have a fairly tight timeline so I'm guessing they have determined her movements up until she disappeared.

Knowing the timing of her use of her computer to do 'homework' is key. Would there have been anyone she would have invited over to study with or do a homework project together? Maybe an acquaintance from her class?
I wonderered the same about shower and bed. Was it was possible to tell if she took a shower by the time they started looking? Did she make her bed every morning? But I think it's very telling that they keep mentioning the pink top. To me that says they didn't find it.

Would someone mind doing a quick synopsis of anything new today. I'm at work and can't read the 15 pages I missed - TIA!

Just food for thought...Mollie's father mentioned it was now a nationwide search. I found the information on Adam Leroy Lane interesting considering the home Mollie was staying at was close to major roads and in a rural community where a long haul trucker could park over night. Probably far fetched..

https://listverse.com/2015/10/31/10-serial-killing-long-haul-truckers/
Not really far fetched. And it doesn't have to be a long haul trucker. The closeness to the interstate makes it easy to troll, stalk, and grab someone.be gone before anyone knew. Small town, likely people didn't lock their doors. Homes somewhat isolated from each other.

RSBM

I'd love to know if LE determined if she slept in her bed that night and/or showered at some point.

That is an excellent point! If all the beds were made - especially in a particular manner that the homeowners usually made them - it would certainly seem to indicate that Mollie never made it to bed the night of the 18th.

Regarding yesterday’s pc, yes it was frustrating to not have received more info on this case. So many have asked “Why bother?” People were also upset that much of the press conference was scripted and LE were patting themselves on the back too much.
Just to give a little insight, I worked in LE for over 20 years. I don’t think some people fully understand how relentless, demanding, ruthless, and destructive some reporters can be. I do believe most reporters try to do their jobs responsibly, but there are others who would do anything for “the story”, “the scoop”. If not reigned in, these reporters trample crime scenes, compromise witnesses, make life unbearable for grieving families and report stories with no factual basis.
Police come under tremendous pressure to constantly update a story from both the press and the public. When they don’t, they are accused of not doing their jobs, of coverups, of denying the public’s right to know.
Giving out to much information can absolutely compromise an investigation. That most of the information given yesterday was was scripted was likely done to prevent slip ups. By taking questions, they left themselves open to going off script and revealing more than they wanted. Hence, the appearance of trying to get off stage ASAP. The backpatting wasn’t necessarily to say, “Aren’t we great, aren’t we wonderful?”, but to show how much they are doing to bring Mollie home and that they are working together cohesively. Jmo

Not really far fetched. And it doesn't have to be a long haul trucker. The closeness to the interstate makes it easy to troll, stalk, and grab someone.be gone before anyone knew. Small town, likely people didn't lock their doors. Homes somewhat isolated from each other.
Please forgive if this sounds ignorant- but I have a question- in all missing persons cases is there a nationwide search for the missing or does a nationwide search mean that someone in LE has determined that the missing has traveled out of their home state? I guess my question is is their criteria that needs to be met before a missing persons search becomes nationwide?

they did a search for her pretty fast
Yes, they did. It's a typical and commendable response -- one of the first assumptions is that the missing person is in the area, but injured -- bleeding or needing oxygen or a broken bone, etc. -- something that would keep the person from getting to where she/he could get help and/or medical attention.

Still wondering what pointed them to Utah originally.

Did Mollie meet someone online from Utah?
She has family in the area.
The search has also spread to southern Utah, where the Iron County Sheriff’s Office sent out a message saying that Tibbetts has family in the area. The sheriff’s office said they don’t know if she is in Utah and have no leads to indicate that, but shared the missing poster in case anyone spotted her because of her family connections. News organizations in the Oakland area have also put out alerts about Tibbetts because of her family and friends there.
Source: Mollie Tibbetts Missing: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Hello Everyone! I have been following since the Sierah Joughin case in 2016 but I had not posted because my old account used my actual name (I’m an idiot I know). I have been following the threats for MT from the very beginning and I have a theory that I haven’t seen brought up yet. I grew up in a town in Michigan smaller than the size of Brooklyn. My family didn’t lock our doors at night either. In my opinion, someone from the same town may have known that people don’t lock their doors. The reason she may have left (IF this is true) her glasses and contacts at the home is because she could have been sleeping. Someone could have waited until she was asleep, used chloroform or something similar, and incapacitated her without there ever being a struggle. This would explain the statements that she had done homework that night. As for the dogs, a perp may have been able to put them in the basement (I have labradors that would gladly welcome a stranger into my home), before he did anything that may have caused the animals to show aggression or defend her. JMHO

I just had a thought: I get the feeling that knowing whether or not Mollie was abducted while jogging, or taken from the home, would help determine whether it was a stranger abduction or not.

Someone who knew Mollie, and knew she'd be alone, probably wouldn't risk abducting her while she's jogging, because it would be more likely there'd be witnesses, or someone would hear something. If they knew her, they would probably just knock on the door, or just walk in.

A stranger, however, probably would gamble by abducting her while she's outside. A stranger wouldn't know or risk if other people were at the home with Mollie. And if the stranger first spotted her jogging, he would probably just pounce on the opportunity to take her right then. Of course, if Mollie didn't lock the doors, a stranger could have also just walked in, as well.

I'm sure LE has information on these scenarios, and perhaps are not confirming whether Mollie made it home from her jog or not, because releasing that information may spook the perp.

Regarding yesterday’s pc, yes it was frustrating to not have received more info on this case. So many have asked “Why bother?” People were also upset that much of the press conference was scripted and LE were patting themselves on the back too much.
Just to give a little insight, I worked in LE for over 20 years. I don’t think some people fully understand how relentless, demanding, ruthless, and destructive some reporters can be. I do believe most reporters try to do their jobs responsibly, but there are others who would do anything for “the story”, “the scoop”. If not reigned in, these reporters trample crime scenes, compromise witnesses, make life unbearable for grieving families and report stories with no factual basis.
Police come under tremendous pressure to constantly update a story from both the press and the public. When they don’t, they are accused of not doing their jobs, of coverups, of denying the public’s right to know.
Giving out to much information can absolutely compromise an investigation. That most of the information given yesterday was was scripted was likely done to prevent slip ups. By taking questions, they left themselves open to going off script and revealing more than they wanted. Hence, the appearance of trying to get off stage ASAP. The backpatting wasn’t necessarily to say, “Aren’t we great, aren’t we wonderful?”, but to show how much they are doing to bring Mollie home and that they are working together cohesively. Jmo
I also wanted to add that by announcing a presser for Friday, it would keep people off their backs for a few days. People, even on WS, were asking why we don’t see all the LE working the case, lined up, on stage so to speak, in constant PCs. Pulling a pc together takes some time and it also takes these investigators away from their jobs.

There are so many posts, I haven't been able to read them all. Please excuse me if this is redundant! Are either of these things related to Mollie's case or are they even related to each other? Opinion only, of course!

The guy taking pics of Dubuque joggers?
The guy who tried to grab a Dubuque jogger but she fought him off?

IMHO
One of those was in Pella, not Dubuque

My bad! Pella for the guy taking pics of joggers (who has since turned himself in), and Dubuque was where the jogger was harassed. Probably not related but who knows. MOO

I'm not sure if this is allowed, <modsnipped- not allowed> I guess this kind of things bring out all types, but kind of interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member