Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #34

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope that’s true! Imagine the notorious serial killers who would still be stalking victims if they could sell a book for bail money!!!!
They probably lived in states where bond was denied because of capital murder.

If he sells his story for $5 mil, that’s his money..

Aren't there laws now in every state that prevents a criminal from profiting from his crime? And anything earned from say a book deal goes to the victims? Or do victims have to sue for this per case? If they do,

we have work to do in our courts imo.

An autopsy to determine when and how Tibbetts died is planned for Wednesday. The final autopsy results are expected in four-eight weeks, although some preliminary results may be available in the next few days, according to Mitch Mortvedt, assistant director of the Iowa Department of Public Safety.

The suspect in Mollie Tibbetts' killing held on $5 million bail

Defense Attorney for Man Who Allegedly Killed Mollie Tibbetts Is Worried About the White House

"An attorney for the man arrested for allegedly killing Mollie Tibbetts wants the media excluded from the case. Lawyer Allen Richards, wearing an American flag tie, argued during an initial court appearance Wednesday that media coverage is overwhelmingly weighed against his client Cristhian Bahena Rivera, who should be presumed innocent. Even the government at “the highest levels” has commented against the defendant....

Magistrate Diane Crookham-Johnson on Wednesday continued to allow cameras in the courtroom. She denied the defense motion for a private hearing, saying media coverage of the initial appearance wouldn’t violate Rivera’s right to a fair trial because he wasn’t going to be asked that day to make statements about the facts of the case.

On the defense’s request, Crookham also set a schedule for a district court to review a motion to implement a gag order on the case...."

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profil...ie-tibbetts-is-worried-about-the-white-house/

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Someone earlier mentioned Rivera was 5'3". Here he looks taller, more like 5'5" or 5'6".

Attachments

• rivera.jpg
    rivera.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 20
Isn’t there some law or something about a criminal not being able to “profit from his crimes”, or did I imagine that too?
Son of Sam law. I am not sure if Iowa has one (I think there is a federal one and around 40 states have them). There have been First Amendment Constitutional challenges to some of them that allow perps to get around it sometimes.

Can someone explain people's distress about who he gets as a lawyer? Don't we want the best lawyers for everyone? We want fair trials and if a good lawyer helps ensure a fair trial, we want that - even for the perps we can't wait to see behind bars.
jmo

Just an FYI as an Iowa attorney. First, Tama/Toledo (they are somewhat sister cities) aren't metropolitan even by Iowa standards. In those towns, lawyers make very modest money. Think 50K tops. So getting even a "prominent" lawyer from there isn't like getting a lawyer from Chicago or NYC. Second, court costs. Court costs for criminal defendants, especially murder in the first degree, are modest. In Iowa, this charge also carries with it restitution that the defendant would have to make. Rarely does that happen since most murderers tend to be dead beats and neither they or their estate can satisfy that amount, usually 100K. Mr. Rivera, at best, has a modest attorney. Even by Iowa standards, prominent attorneys are in Des Moines, Quad Cities, Cedar Rapids, Iowa City etc etc. Tama, not so much. That being said, I am hoping the State of Iowa does a competent prosecution and puts him in prison for life.

So share please where someone posted bail with proceeds from writing a book.
Could be rights to the story, book rights....this whole issue of being allowed a bond after being charged with first degree murder is new to me...and somebody has to be footing the bill for the private attorney as well.

im not sure what that has to do w the reason he did this crime. that was after the fact.

I think Mollie's case became High Profile because of the wonderful way the media handled it and the way it she reached the hearts of people around the globe - not because of VP Pence. Not that I am knocking him showing some compassion and interest in the case. He has daughters. He is in a leadership role in our country. Not a problem. The more visibility a missing person case garners the better imo.

I feel like this caricature of a defense attorney is secretly against CR and the flag tie is to signal that. So he's representing him for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomgetty