IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #35

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning! Already drank a pot of coffee thank you.

I have a question that I do not know if this has been asked or posted or if anyone even knows of if I missed it.

Why did it take this neighbor with the security camera footage so long to turn it in to LE??

I don’t think LE has addressed this but I’ll ask in case I missed it. One witness said he saw her walking nonchalantly. Is it thought that Mollie was heading to her mom’s when CR approached her? I’m just wondering about the witness sightings and CR’a confession.

Earlier in our discussion, it was shared that a burglary had occurred near DJ’s home on the day she ran. What are your thoughts on that now? Unrelated?

I don’t think LE has addressed this but I’ll ask in case I missed it. One witness said he saw her walking nonchalantly. Is it thought that Mollie was heading to her mom’s when CR approached her? I’m just wondering about the witness sightings and CR’a confession.
It could be that she was switching her music on her phone. I can hardly walk and look at my phone at the same time.

I have a question that I do not know if this has been asked or posted or if anyone even knows of if I missed it.

Why did it take this neighbor with the security camera footage so long to turn it in to LE??
That's a good question. Maybe they had no idea what they had. I said it earlier that a lot of families now have a member interested in electrics and might just put one up!

I think at the interview they said they had no idea until Monday. I'm guessing they were randomly contacting rural families on roads Mollie might have run on!

Have not heard but possibly was on vacation?

Yes possibly but I would think that LE would have been looking at every camera from every angle unless they could not see that one physically?

Earlier in our discussion, it was shared that a burglary had occurred near DJ’s home on the day she ran. What are your thoughts on that now? Unrelated?
IMO this was premeditated and he wouldn't risk jeopardizing his primary goal...therefore unrelated.

They most likely are trying to put that all together as we speak.

I’m wondering what set this perp off (if anything). Thinking back to some cases in the past of perps raping and murdering strangers, sometimes there was an incident in the perp’s (low) life that challenged his ego in some way - boss fired him or threatened to fire him, girlfriend or wife found to be unfaithful or rebuffed him in some way, etc.

Cristhian Rivera: Suspect in Mollie Tibbetts' killing gave false ID to employer - CNN

Farm that hired Cristhian Rivera, Mollie Tibbetts' suspected killer, did not use E-Verify system, official says

Cristhian Rivera, charged in Mollie Tibbetts' death, worked at a farm owned by a prominent Iowa Republican family

By all indications it is suspected Christhian Rivera is here illegally. His lawyer stated in his gag order motion that he believed Rivera was here legally because Craig Lang verified he was. This has been corrected by the Lang's. The Lang's later came out stating they used the SS system to verify status, as opposed to the E-Verify system, which they originally stated. Rivera presented them with false identification.

CNN - In applying for the job, Rivera provided a state ID and Social Security card that was verified through the Social Security Administration's verification system, according to Lang. But those forms of ID were not of Rivera, he said.

Fox News - However, Yarrabee Farms co-owner and manager Dane Lang clarified Wednesday afternoon that the farm did not use a federal E-Verify check on suspect Cristhian Rivera, despite the company's claim earlier in the day that it did.

Lang said Rivera provided a state-issued photo identification and social security card. “We learned that our employee was not who he said he is.”

Des Moines Register - Editor's Note - Yarabee Farms, Cristhian Rivera's employer, said Tuesday that they had used the federal E-Verify program to vet Rivera's identity. On Wednesday, officials from the farm acknowledged they had not used the E-Verify system and that Rivera had given them false information.

Also, there are no records of Rivera in DACA.

US Citizenship and Immigration Services spokesperson Michael Bars told CNN that Rivera did not make any requests for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, that might have provided him legal status in the US.

"We have found no record in our systems indicating he has any lawful immigration status," Bars said.

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services told Fox News: "A search of records by USCIS revealed Rivera did not make any DACA requests nor were any grants given. We have found no record in our systems indicating he has any lawful immigration status."

Gag Order Motion

Gag Order Tibbetts

I’m wondering what set this perp off (if anything). Thinking back to some cases in the past of perps raping and murdering strangers, sometimes there was an incident in the perp’s (low) life that challenged his ego in some way - boss fired him or threatened to fire him, girlfriend or wife found to be unfaithful or rebuffed him in some way, etc.
Didn't his girlfriend just give birth or was that the ex girlfriend?

it could have been any number of reasons. lets just be glad they did turn it in before the footage was recycled.

Maybe I need a cup of Harmony's coffee, but how is it the perp worked and was known under another name, yet kept an active FB (laden with babe-friends from other cities) in his full, presumably real name? Usually people interested in keeping a low FB profile come up with a pseudonym, or fiddle with the spelling (example - "Web5leuth5"). He used a fake identity in a very small town, yet here we are knowing his purported full name. Unless that's fake, too?

Did the Feds find his true identity via fingerprints, suggesting a criminal past in Mexico?

Last edited:
Yes possibly but I would think that LE would have been looking at every camera from every angle unless they could not see that one physically?

The people who owned the camera may have been on vacation and when they returned in two weeks, they heard about it and gave the tape to LE

He didn't confess to killing her right?

No but he admitted to his anger, then kidnapping her (in the trunk) and placing her body in the corn field. In Iowa, as in most places when the victim dies during the course of a forcible felony, it constitutes first degree murder.

707.2 Murder in the first degree.
1. A person commits murder in the first degree when the person commits murder under any of the following circumstances:
b. The person kills another person while participating in a forcible felony.
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/707.2.pdf

702.11 Forcible felony.
1. A “forcible felony” is any felonious child endangerment, assault, murder, sexual abuse, kidnapping, robbery, human trafficking, arson in the first degree, or burglary in the first degree.
https://www.legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/702.11.pdf

The burglary was a different day.

That's a good question. Maybe they had no idea what they had. I said it earlier that a lot of families now have a member interested in electrics and might just put one up!

I think at the interview they said they had no idea until Monday. I'm guessing they were randomly contacting rural families on roads Mollie might have run on!

I will search for the article that stated basically the footage was handed over from the homeowner pretty early on but it took weeks for LE to track the car down because they did not have the plate number they only had distinctive markings on the car.

There have been several accounts as to when they received the footage but it took them a long time to track the car down.

My guess is they looked at their footage after LE came out with that map of points of interest and they saw they were in the general area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suebrina