IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, true, but I think the point is you are much more likely NOT to be murdered than to become a statistic.

I see both sides, really. I work in a heavily male-dominated area in a male-dominated industry. I have always been the only woman attorney on case teams. I've never been afraid or intimidated in speaking up, taking on leadership roles, and fighting for my spot at the table. But I don't jog or walk alone, I don't talk to strangers, I don't post personal information online, I don't do many things that women should be able to do safely but I am not personally comfortable doing. I know the statistics but I still ask myself do I want to risk the tiny chance of something happening - or more likely, me being uncomfortable - and the answer is usually no. I look up to women who don't feel that fear, but I am not one of them. I don't think that makes me some type of weak woman or a woman who is not concerned with equality and women having autonomy. It's just the level of risk I'm comfortable with.

Thank you I really appreciate your response!! I am struggling with this morally, and philosophically. It is helpful to hear from someone who understands the depth of my questions. I was reflecting on your answer and there are many perspectives, lenses to view abhorrent acts as you described. Contemplating on the “Why” is humane. I seek answers. We are now all witnesses to these events, not bystanders.
Exactly, that’s the point. Its impossible to fully understand the depths of the depravity of others, because we can never relate to it, atleast on that level.

Most of us feel love, and a connection to other people. We have a conscience, empathy, and can (to a degree) feel and understand the pain of others.

There is a segment of the human population that cannot relate to any of these things. They care only about themselves, and their own gratification, even if this gratification comes at the expense of others. We call them “evil,” which is simplistic, yet aptly describes them and their behavior.

I may be desensitized to this type of thing, as I never find myself asking “how could someone do this?” The fact is they can and do. All too often.

Can someone explain rationale that has been posted (probably countless times... apologies but have missed this weekend threads) for scenario of 1) abduction at Mission/ Boundary, 2) CR then drives East, 3) assaults on 385 near 200, puts body in trunk, 4) then drives 10+ miles to cornfield. I just don’t get the intermediate stop at 385 & 200, presumed assault, & the added risk of being spotted outside vehicle twice. Can someone weigh in with logic?

There was no intermediate stop. A home in the general vicinity of Middle & Boundary is attributed to be the location where a surveillance cam captured Mollie being stalked by CR in a black Malibu. The affidavit lists the 1900 block of 385th Avenue as the location of the abduction and assault.

I think some speculation also came from the understanding of abduction on Boundary & Waters(?) with the 1900 block of 385th identified on affadavit, then corn field. So... 3 potential stops. There is also a small lake off road near the 1900 block site. Caught my attention.[/QUOTE]
The scenario(s) of intermediate stops is what I don’t follow. Wouldn’t he get as far out of town after abduction? The short timeframe listed at arrest plus the 10+ mile drive to cornfield in my mind doesn’t allow for those intermediate stops.

That's what I was thinking. So, when did he drag her on foot?

Maybe he dragged her out of the trunk at knifepoint when he got to the cornfield location? And that’s where the (possible sexual assault) + stabbing occurred? Then he dragged her the rest of the way and left her where she was found. Maybe I’m giving CR way too much credit here, but I’m doubting he would have stabbed her multiple times and then risked getting both himself and the trunk bloodstained.

Maybe after his “block out” he realized Mollie recognized him and would be too risky to let her live.

EAEEC7D9-D6E5-4259-A4A5-1FB69AD24C31.jpeg

Several hundred people are attending a memorial service for 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts Sunday - less than a week after her body was found in a cornfield outside her small hometown in Iowa.

The funeral for the University of Iowa student is being held Sunday afternoon in the gymnasium of BGM High School, where Mollie graduated from in 2017.

Family, friends and residents of her hometown Brooklyn - a city of just 1,500 - are paying their respects after a month-long search ended in tragedy.

Funeral planned for slain Mollie Tibbetts at her old high school in her quaint Iowa hometown | Daily Mail Online

Thank you very much for replying to my post asking how long it might be until trial I appreciate it.

There was no intermediate stop. A home in the general vicinity of Middle & Boundary is attributed to be the location where a surveillance cam captured Mollie being stalked by CR in a black Malibu. The affidavit lists the 1900 block of 385th Avenue as the location of the abduction and assault.

Thank you. That is more plausible to me than the intermediate stop(s) thesis.

I'm afraid I started this line of thought when I asked everyone to look at the dent in the car on the first page of the thread. I seriously was just wondering if that's how LE quickly identified the car as the car in the video from the surveillance camera. I don't think any damage to the car was from the crime itself.
I was also very curious how LE was able to quickly locate where the car seen in surveillance video came from, but I don't think it was as difficult as I thought after making inquiry with Poweshiek County licensing: by an unofficial count of cars, trucks, suvs, and vans registered in the County, "cars" make up the fewest at only about 14% of the total vehicles registered. In other words, it's quite possible there were only 3-4 Malibu's registered in the County to look for. Also, relative to the possible hood or front end damage, there may be another explanation. Since the flatbed tow truck is also dragging another vehicle behind, I believe it's possible that there's a "belt flasher" device attached to hood of the Malibu to comply with FMCSA regulations. It's hard to tell from the angle of photo. MOO.

Vehicle Registration & Title
Open M.T.W.Th.F. - 8:00am to 4:00pm
Staff is available through the lunch hour
Phone: 641-623-2137
Fax: 641-623-2875
Email: motorvehicle1@poweshiekcounty.org

Last edited:
There was a translator, so I would think if it wasn't clear, there may have been an exchange in Spanish to clarify the word he intended. If he said it in Spanish it would have been translated.
I don't think the word would be black, though. . " negra" is probably not the word the translater would have used. It doesn't have the same meaning. That's why I think they got it from him, and that's where the miscommunication comes from. At any rate, we know what he meant, I believe.

True, but it is the only reasonable explanation and it makes sense . I'm sure they were quoting what they heard HIM say. After 8 years in the country he certainly knows enough English to carry a conversation. We don't know if the interpretator was present the whole time and I'm sure he was communicating in both English and Spanish.
They say there was a translator for his interrogation so I suspect they covered those bases, and I'm also sure he was asked more than once to tell that story.

No matter what word he used, his lawyer is going to have Mollie saying Na Na Boo Boo and throwing her ear piece at him, and then she jumped into his trunk and hit her head on the way in, and it stressed him out. Or something like that.

I see both sides, really. I work in a heavily male-dominated area in a male-dominated industry. I have always been the only woman attorney on case teams. I've never been afraid or intimidated in speaking up, taking on leadership roles, and fighting for my spot at the table. But I don't jog or walk alone, I don't talk to strangers, I don't post personal information online, I don't do many things that women should be able to do safely but I am not personally comfortable doing. I know the statistics but I still ask myself do I want to risk the tiny chance of something happening - or more likely, me being uncomfortable - and the answer is usually no. I look up to women who don't feel that fear, but I am not one of them. I don't think that makes me some type of weak woman or a woman who is not concerned with equality and women having autonomy. It's just the level of risk I'm comfortable with.
And there is nothing wrong with taking safety precautions. I was just thinking I'm so lucky to live in a safe community but then I remembered, so did Mollie.

My question about 'block' and blackout was twofold so I didn't mean to cause confusion. Even native English speakers may sometimes use them interchangeably (sp). And ultimately I don't think it matters. Because either way, he's 'claiming' not to remember. But I know when a guy followed me home and I blacked out, I literally saw black and fainted. The way I experienced a blackout is I know I couldn't complete a crime because I couldn't move.

My question about 'block' and blackout was twofold so I didn't mean to cause confusion. Even native English speakers may sometimes use them interchangeably (sp). And ultimately I don't think it matters. Because either way, he's 'claiming' not to remember. But I know when a guy followed me home and I blacked out, I literally saw black and fainted. The way I experienced a blackout is I know I couldn't complete a crime because I couldn't move.
Are you describing not remembering? Or physically passing out?

They say there was a translator for his interrogation so I suspect they covered those bases, and I'm also sure he was asked more than once to tell that story.

No matter what word he used, his lawyer is going to have Mollie saying Na Na Boo Boo and throwing her ear piece at him, and then she jumped into his trunk and hit her head on the way in, and it stressed him out. Or something like that.
Right. The point is we all know what it means when someone has a blackout. I wasn't trying to justify it, just trying to explain for those who may not have a large Hispanic population. People were confused about it, so I offerred my opinion, that's all. I'm curious how they will explain just what a " blockout" is in court.

It's all your fault. Jk

Maybe he dragged her out of the trunk at knifepoint when he got to the cornfield location? And that’s where the (possible sexual assault) + stabbing occurred? Then he dragged her the rest of the way and left her where she was found. Maybe I’m giving CR way too much credit here, but I’m doubting he would have stabbed her multiple times and then risked getting both himself and the trunk bloodstained.

Maybe after his “block out” he realized Mollie recognized him and would be too risky to let her live.
Along with what Otto said and then add your explanation.... I think this is what happened.

Are you describing not remembering? Or physically passing out?

Physically passing out. To this day I explain it as cartoons we saw as children: The black started at the bottom of my eyes and when it reached the top, I was on the ground. I could see the black slowly taking over my vision. There is no way (from my experience) if you truly blackout, you can commit a crime.

Well, just my opinion, but "No" is "No" in both Espanol y Ingles, no? And her hands out in the stop position? At least that's how I envision it. And backing away, screaming no, running, that is, if she even got that far. Then as he lifted her up to carry her, kicking her legs? English or Spanish, Arabic or Swahili, wouldn't a get the hell away from me translate nonverbally.
I think you are thinking of something completely different. Unless somewhere along the line I missed something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
klaus28