IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are going to defend him no matter what. It is called covering up and lying thru your A$$.
I really hope they aren't just saying that because they want him freed. I hope they are just in denial and will come out of it.

Let’s allow the process to run. While our opinions are very good for sleuthers, the prosecutors and defense are going to file a lot of unknown documents/motions.

LE has to have time to discover everything about CR and some will be time consuming to unearth. There might be a 3 year period of time they have to investigate. And perhaps many more fake names. Witnesses lie and purport accusedto be the best people. Their intentions are well meaning but some people believe if they share only the best about someone close, it will be so.

My guess is neither side wants to rush this process until fthe court does something.

It’s always good to discuss all aspects of the case. But keep in mind lawyers are very smart and we might wish to prepare for the unexpected.

Question. Why didn't he flee to Mexico? He could have said his father was sick and he had to go if he needed an excuse to get out of town. One that would not cast suspicion on him.

They had no idea it was a Hispanic Farm Worker so I don't think his absence would have made headlines.

A few people have asked about maps. These are some of the maps I've put together in the last couple of weeks. Hope it helps with figuring out Mollie's route, abduction location, and the big picture.

Attachments

• Moliie Abduction.jpg
    Moliie Abduction.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Mollie Abduction 2.jpg
    Mollie Abduction 2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Mollie Abduction 3A.jpg
    Mollie Abduction 3A.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 78
Exactly. We have vague details in this regard. For all we know, he could have followed her for a substantial amount of time, Mollie only realizing it when he approached her.
Yes, he is on the videotape from a nearby property earlier in her running route driving back and forth and back and forth in his car. That's how LE figured out who (vehicle make) was following her in a car and then located the vehicle and popped him (had a very long interview with him). The actual approach of Mollie on foot could have all happened in a 'split second' - him approaching her as she's running, saying something to her (or not), her reacting (or not), and him disabling her, etc.

The family has its say, but the prosecutor doesn’t have to listen. They have this guy dead to rights on the first degree murder charge so I can’t imaging a 2nd degree or lesser sentence. 25-life is too short for a 24 year old who committed a crime like this. We’ll see.

I agree, it will depend on the forensic evidence. If there is clear DNA evidence linking CR to the crime, the defense does not have much leverage except letting Mollie's family be spared of a trial. The state does have a few options even if they insist on 1st degree murder: they can recommend he be housed in a prison close to his family so he will have visitors, they can not include a SA charge (if appropriate) so he can see his daughter in prison, they can allow for the possibility of parole after XYZ years. If the evidence is strongly against your client, as a defense attorney you'll be advising your client of these types of options to try to get the "best" outcome. A plea would also spare CR's family from a trial, so selfishly he has motivation to plea there even if he's not remorseful about the crime.

I can't get over the boldness of doing this on a street, in town and while there might some light still available. But Kelsey Smith's killer abducted her in the parking lot of a Target store in the middle of the day so it happens. Video surveillance caught Kelsey Smith's killer, too.
Murder of Kelsey Smith - Wikipedia
Another one might be Elizabeth Salgado, but the public doesn't know when she disappeared. Amazing that these sick characters do this during the day and right off the street and LE has a difficult time determining what happened.

Question. Why didn't he flee to Mexico? He could have said his father was sick and he had to go if he needed an excuse to get out of town. One that would not cast suspicion on him.

They had no idea it was a Hispanic Farm Worker so I don't think his absence would have made headlines.

Your second sentence is the key. He really thought he'd gotten away with it.

He may have thought he’d gotten away with it, or he may not have had the means.

In the Vanessa Marcotte case, the suspect willingly took a DNA test and hung around for the results, which he knew would implicate him.

Who knows why these guys don’t flee?

Oh, there will be evidence in that trunk. I watch Forensic Files, and there is always evidence! I'm being a bit funny with that comment, but also serious. My hunch is there will be evidence of Mollie in the trunk, and there will be evidence of the trunk on Mollie (like a fiber from the trunk interior).

JMO
Totally agree. There is no doubt that LE is going to find evidence in his car trunk that proves MT was placed in there.

I had an older vehicle once where milk had spilled in the trunk area and I didnt realize it until it had spoiled and smelled really bad. I tried cleaning it and I could not get rid of the odor. I finally had to cut out all the carpet lining in the trunk. And I even had to go to a junkyard to get an entire "new"/used back seat pad from a similar wrecked car because it had leaked forward into the back seat cushion foam.

What and leave the promised land????? He thought he would never get caught, look it took 5 weeks and if wasn't for those surveillance tapes and possibly he might have got away with It and continued to go further with his hunting.

I agree, it will depend on the forensic evidence. If there is clear DNA evidence linking CR to the crime, the defense does not have much leverage except letting Mollie's family be spared of a trial. The state does have a few options even if they insist on 1st degree murder: they can recommend he be housed in a prison close to his family so he will have visitors, they can not include a SA charge (if appropriate) so he can see his daughter in prison, they can allow for the possibility of parole after XYZ years. If the evidence is strongly against your client, as a defense attorney you'll be advising your client of these types of options to try to get the "best" outcome. A plea would also spare CR's family from a trial, so selfishly he has motivation to plea there even if he's not remorseful about the crime.
Thanks for the clarity there. I’m pretty indifferent on the death penalty, but I do like the leverage that it gives the prosecution in order to force a plea. Unfortunately Iowa doesn’t have the death penalty of course.

It’s good to know that there are options at the disposal of the prosecution (things that they can offer), in order to encourage a plea, even though it would still be for first degree murder.

JMO
Totally agree. There is no doubt that LE is going to find evidence in his car trunk that proves MT was placed in there.

I had an older vehicle once where milk had spilled in the trunk area and I didnt realize it until it had spoiled and smelled really bad. I tried cleaning it and I could not get rid of the odor. I finally had to cut out all the carpet lining in the trunk. And I even had to go to a junkyard to get an entire "new"/used back seat pad from a similar wrecked car because it had leaked forward into the back seat cushion foam.
This is why I find it so hard to believe that he inflicted multiple sharp force trauma wounds and THEN transported her. Now, if he was prepared and brought some kind of plastic bin or liner...

[

Well there's this. I keep thinking how he managed to get Mollie in the car. She and he were the same weight and height and if I remember she had some defense training. Most girls have those mace clips on their person.
I followed the Abigail Hernandez abduction and her abductor used a taser on her.

Anybody think this guy might have one of those.

His FB page picture shows he was interested in guns.

I never underestimate the strength of someone based on their physical size. Some of the strongest men I have known throughput my life have been of a smaller size. They also tend to be very fast/quick and do not tire as easily as someone with more body mass.

While he showed guns on page his weapon of choice seemed to be a very sharp knife that he most likely carried in his pocket at all times. He seemed to prefer an up close and personal deadly lethal weapon. One where the victim would feel pain and more prolonged suffering. Imo..he wanted her to know HE was the one who was going to end her life as he looked into her terrified eyes. Imo.

God bless her sweet soul.

I treat everything he says with a great deal of skepticism, as it is self serving, and he has every reason to lie. Certain aspects make sense though, especially his claim of putting her in the trunk. Forensic evidence will prove if this particular claim was true or not, but it definitely makes sense to me.
Agree. CR is very devious and calculating. By at least 3 accounts, we know that he behaved in manner to befriend his potential targets, and his arrest for Mollie's abduction and murder a surprise to them. He somewhat reportedly creeped out one girl, but not to the point she ever reported him (such as in the CW stalking allegations).

So the August 31st appearance has been pushed back? Or is it not formal yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413