Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m guessing this article was first written across the pond. And republished by multiple sources that don’t proofread or check their math. The article references the “meters” he dragged her- 20 meters (65 feet) and conflicts with the headline- 500 yards (1500 feet). A local reporter would report in feet, not meters, mo. I also doubt the accuracy of “woods”. Jmo.

“The suspect allegedly said he... dragged her... into a secluded area in the woods.... then tossed Mollie over his shoulders and walked around 20 meters into the woods... the affidavit read.”
Mollie Tibbetts: Trial date set for alleged killer accused of murdering young college jogger, hiding her 500 yards into cornfield

You are correct. I apologize. This article is indeed inaccurate. Thanks

Trial for Bahena Rivera, man accused of killing Mollie Tibbetts, rescheduled
New trial date is September 29, 2020 at 9:00 a.. in Woodbury county!

The rescheduled trial comes after the Iowa Supreme Court upheld the district judge's decision to suppress only part of the evidence in the trial after Bahena Rivera's legal council argued more evidence was inadmissible.

Having watched the November suppression hearings (2 days), I was truly disgusted by CBR's defense attorneys. While some will say they were just doing their job, it was more like presenting a bag of tricks.

(DA had already agreed to suppress statements the defendant made between 11:30 pm 8/20 and early morning 8/21 re. deficient Miranda).

The trial could have been well underway if not for their antics. MOO

The rescheduled trial comes after the Iowa Supreme Court upheld the district judge's decision to suppress only part of the evidence in the trial after Bahena Rivera's legal council argued more evidence was inadmissible.

Having watched the November suppression hearings (2 days), I was truly disgusted by CBR's defense attorneys. While some will say they were just doing their job, it was more like presenting a bag of tricks.

(DA had already agreed to suppress statements the defendant made between 11:30 pm 8/20 and early morning 8/21 re. deficient Miranda).

The trial could have been well underway if not for their antics. MOO
ITA Seattle1, they give off a 'less than professional' vibe IMO.

I can only imagine how they'll behave when the actual trial starts, I'm predicting JA defense level of ridiculousness. :rolleyes:

Both Sides Seek Further Delay in Cristhian Rivera Murder Trial Due to COVID-19, Eye 2021 Date Both sides want to delay the trail to January 2021. There are concerns about Covid-19 and being able to social distance during the jury selection. The trail is going to be in Woodbury county. IMO-it is one of the counties in Ia. with more virus cases and reguarly has new confirmed cases.
of course they do.... jury trials can't be conducted without some physical changes to where the jury itself is seated IMO

Both Sides Seek Further Delay in Cristhian Rivera Murder Trial Due to COVID-19, Eye 2021 Date Both sides want to delay the trail to January 2021. There are concerns about Covid-19 and being able to social distance during the jury selection. The trail is going to be in Woodbury county. IMO-it is one of the counties in Ia. with more virus cases and reguarly has new confirmed cases.
Well, everyone I really do know how to spell the word trial and know the difference between trail and trial! I just noticed the spelling. ;)

from article:

Both parties have proposed a new trial date of January 26, 2021.

So - was there was a court hearing on 6/16 - but just a motion filed & granted?

A joint motion filed Monday by attorneys for both sides asked the court to push back the trial because of the pandemic.

Scott Brown, an assistant attorney general who is helping the Attorney's Office prosecute the case said, "Both parties also share a legitimate apprehension as to how a trial can effectively be conducted with interpreters if parties, witnesses or the judge are required to wear masks that obscure their face below the eyes while speaking".

Masks can make it make it difficult for translators to do their job in real time and will also make it harder to assess witnesses’ credibility.

The jury pool will be about three times bigger than for most other felony cases, presents some of the greatest risks. The delay will give officials more time to decide the best way to proceed while protecting the health of all jurors, witnesses and anyone else in the courthouse.

According to the motion, the defense and prosecutors have agreed on a trial start date of Jan. 26, 2021, but that has to be approved by the judge.

Mollie Tibbetts murder suspect may have trial delayed further due to COVID-19

Judge orders new date and venue for Cristhian Bahena Rivera murder trial

New Date for trial: January 25, 2021 and it's also been moved to another county again. The trial was set to happen in Woodbury County, but now it's being moved to Scott County.
Whatever it take to ensure a fair trial for the monster. It's going to be hard to get around showing where the body is and admitting to putting the body there. I still wonder how many more victims are out there? I doubt she was his first victim. MOO

Here's from the docket since last posted here.

Event Filed By Filed Create Date Last Updated Action Date
ORDER SETTING TRIAL YATES JOEL D 07/10/2020 07/10/2020 07/10/2020
Comments: RESETTING TRIAL 1-25-2021 9:00 AM-SCOTT COUNTY-PRETRIAL 1-12-21 9:00 AM
INTERPRETER NOTIFIED THRU EDMS
ORDER ON INTERPRETER OR TRANSLATOR FEE ITEMIZATION YATES JOEL D 07/09/2020 07/09/2020 07/09/2020
Comments: INTERPRETER NOTIFIED THRU EDMS
INTERPRETER OR TRANSLATOR FEE ITEMIZATION FORM RHODES STEVEN 07/09/2020 07/09/2020 07/09/2020

link: https://www.iowacourts.state.ia.us/ESAWebApp/TIndexFrm

Hopefully there is a hearing before this January one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mextex