Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
AH! Found where I saw the April 15th court date!

Mollie Tibbetts: Trial delayed to May due to COVID in 2018 murder case

The trial of the man accused of stabbing to death Iowa university student Mollie Tibbetts in 2018 has been postponed again due to COVID-19.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera had been scheduled to stand trial beginning Jan. 25, but the Iowa Supreme Court in November ordered that all jury trials statewide be put on hold until Feb. 1 due to the state's rapid growth of positive cases and hospitalizations. On Wednesday, the court rescheduled the trial to May 17, and moved a scheduled pretrial conference to April 15.

The trial will remain in Davenport, as previously ordered.

Just in case the article didn't lie....

Thursday, April 15th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 8:30am CT) – IA – Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts (20) (July 18, 2018, Brooklyn; found Aug. 21, 2018) – *Cristhian Bahena Rivera aka John Budd (24/now 26) arrested (8/21/18), charged (8/22/18) & arraigned (9/19/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $5M cash only bond.
ICE logged an immigration detainer on Rivera. Confessed to killing Mollie.
Trial was set to begin on 2/4/20 – Trial has been postponed (on 1/22/20) & continued to 9/29/20 & rescheduled to 1/25/21 due to COVID-19 & has been further delayed & rescheduled on 5/17/21 (should last about 6 to 8 days). Trial moved from Poweshiek County to Woodbury County. The trial was set to happen in Woodbury County, but now it's being moved to Scott County.

Court hearings from 8/22/18 thru 2/9/21 reference post #673 here:
Found Deceased - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

3/15/21 Update: Setting trial management conference hearing on 3/17/21. Pretrial hearing from 1/25/21 has been rescheduled to 4/15/21, time moved from 9am to 8:30am.

Just in case the article didn't lie....

Thursday, April 15th:
*Pretrial Hearing (@ 8:30am CT) – IA – Mollie Cecilia Tibbetts (20) (July 18, 2018, Brooklyn; found Aug. 21, 2018) – *Cristhian Bahena Rivera aka John Budd (24/now 26) arrested (8/21/18), charged (8/22/18) & arraigned (9/19/18) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. $5M cash only bond.
ICE logged an immigration detainer on Rivera. Confessed to killing Mollie.
Trial was set to begin on 2/4/20 – Trial has been postponed (on 1/22/20) & continued to 9/29/20 & rescheduled to 1/25/21 due to COVID-19 & has been further delayed & rescheduled on 5/17/21 (should last about 6 to 8 days). Trial moved from Poweshiek County to Woodbury County. The trial was set to happen in Woodbury County, but now it's being moved to Scott County.

Court hearings from 8/22/18 thru 2/9/21 reference post #673 here:
Found Deceased - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

3/15/21 Update: Setting trial management conference hearing on 3/17/21. Pretrial hearing from 1/25/21 has been rescheduled to 4/15/21, time moved from 9am to 8:30am.
@Niner -- are you able to listen to the 7 min court video here -- it's packed with info from the Judge.

Man Charged with Mollie Tibbetts’ Murder Makes Pretrial Appearance in Court | who13.com

AH! Found where I saw the April 15th court date!

Mollie Tibbetts: Trial delayed to May due to COVID in 2018 murder case

The trial of the man accused of stabbing to death Iowa university student Mollie Tibbetts in 2018 has been postponed again due to COVID-19.

Cristhian Bahena Rivera had been scheduled to stand trial beginning Jan. 25, but the Iowa Supreme Court in November ordered that all jury trials statewide be put on hold until Feb. 1 due to the state's rapid growth of positive cases and hospitalizations. On Wednesday, the court rescheduled the trial to May 17, and moved a scheduled pretrial conference to April 15.

The trial will remain in Davenport, as previously ordered.

The trial has been reset for January 25, 2021. May 17, 2021. Prosecutors and the defense agreed to have the trial moved to Scott County.

Confirming Davenport is Scott County, right? I'm trying to find out if any outlet including Court TV are covering.

No recording in Iowa courtrooms without the Court first granting approval for expanded media coverage.

Docket search for motions filed for this case are by subscription -- free search provides little more than the case number, etc.

https://www.iowacourts.gov/static/media/cms/08_ORDER_In_the_Matter_of_the_Posse_60DCC22B3199D.pdf

Expanded Media - See Chapter 25
https://www.iowacourts.gov/static/media/cms/08_ORDER_In_the_Matter_of_the_Posse_60DCC22B3199D.pdf

Expanded News Media Coverage | Iowa Judicial Branch

Some screenshots from the video...Rivera is with his 2 attorneys and court approved interpreter.

Attachments

• A87EC82F-FE42-49D3-9E3E-90A420D136EE.jpeg
    A87EC82F-FE42-49D3-9E3E-90A420D136EE.jpeg
    84.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 3D9471E2-11EC-427A-B682-00FE5BE5AE25.jpeg
    3D9471E2-11EC-427A-B682-00FE5BE5AE25.jpeg
    76.8 KB · Views: 39
So many victim's families have to wait so long for a glimpse of justice to come for their murdered love one.

It just doesn't fair after all they have already endured.

It is said the wheels of justice moves slowly, but lately it seems more of a start, and stop.

Jmho

I can't help but wonder what outcome someone who went to another country, without correct VISA documents, who had killed a citizen of that country, if they would be treated with the same courtesy and zealous defense as Mr. Rivera has been afforded. Even to the point that his lack of speaking the language he was arrested in, has now become part of his defense.

We are very fortunate to live in such a wonderful country.

@Seattle1 - unfortunately I can't access either one of the links you posted over here. The 7-min video - not allowed over here & the Summary page - I get a blank screen....

And thank you for the updates!
How about YouTube? :)

APR 15, 2021
13Raw: Full Pre-Trial Hearing for Man Charged with Murdering Mollie Tibbetts

I still don't understand why they are trying to subpoena Mollie's bank records. No article I've seen explains why, just that Mollie's side feels it's irrelevant, which I also do (unless there is some valid reason I'm not seeing?) After all, Mollie was the victim, as well as just a young college student, so I would imagine she didn't have much on any bank account regardless. Can anyone share some insight here?

I still don't understand why they are trying to subpoena Mollie's bank records. No article I've seen explains why, just that Mollie's side feels it's irrelevant, which I also do (unless there is some valid reason I'm not seeing?) After all, Mollie was the victim, as well as just a young college student, so I would imagine she didn't have much on any bank account regardless. Can anyone share some insight here?

I can’t imagine what that is needed for either. Just another ridiculous ploy by the defense attorneys.
I’m going to say this again...he confessed and I know the defense is trying to argue it was coerced or something...but...he also led LE to her body, which I don’t think he could have done unless he killed her.
A defense attorney’s job is not to try and get his clearly guilty client found not guilty. He is supposed to seek justice also. He should help guide his client through the system and try to get the fairest best deal. The defense’s job is not to “win”! This is not a game. This guy’s lawyers are despicable in my opinion. No regard at all for the victim or her family.

I can’t imagine what that is needed for either. Just another ridiculous ploy by the defense attorneys.
^^rsbm

FEB 3, 2021
Judge takes no action in attorneys' dispute over Mollie Tibbetts' non-existent banking records | The Gazette
[...]

The prosecution asked the judge to quash a subpoena for Tibbetts’ bank account at Bankers Trust in Des Moines. They argued the defense didn’t give prosecutors notice and that this type of subpoena isn’t allowed because it isn’t connected to a deposition or trial.

Assistant Iowa Attorney General Scott Brown also asked the court to admonish the attorneys for first-degree murder defendant Cristhian Bahena Rivera. He questioned whether Jennifer and Chad Frese understood the rules.

Eighth Judicial District Judge Joel Yates, in his ruling, found the motion moot because the bank account didn’t exist. The defense revealed that fact during the hearing. Jennifer Frese said the lack of notification was just a “clerical oversight” and the prosecution received the notice after the fact.

“The court declines to issue an admonishment in this situation,” Yates said in the ruling. “However, the court relies upon the statements from counsel and expects the parties to follow our procedural rules.”

[...]

FEB 5, 2021
Challenge of subpoena of Mollie Tibbetts’ bank records moot (kcci.com)
A judge has declined to quash a subpoena seeking the bank records of a slain University of Iowa student and has also rejected prosecutors’ request to admonish the suspect’s defense attorneys who sought them.

[...]

The judge ruled this week that the challenge was moot, as the subpoena had already been served and the bank provided no relevant information in the case, the Des Moines Register reported.

[...]

The request for bank records was by some notion that MT accessed her bank account later than the date the state alleges MT was murdered by the accused.

It's all moot now because MT had no bank account at the bank in question. In other words -- the defense was fishing and they caught NOTHING. The state tried to punish the defense for this but Court refused the motion for sanctions because no records obtained since there was no bank account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pmaxhen