Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Romero was an excellent witness.
She was! She clarified so many times when the defense tried to say something one way maybe more in a way that favored her client, then Romero would clarifying by saying it again the way she meant it and not the way the defense changed it around. She was so calm and I can tell she really takes her job seriously and I don't believe in any way was trying to trick him or get him to say something that wasn't true.

I like how she explained the translations were not what she would have said or how she would have translated it. It isn't a perfect system because he needs to be spoken to in Spanish and of course there are a play on words or various ways to say things that might get lost in translation. Just because the translation to English didn't get done exactly was it was meant, doesn't mean her client who understand Spanish perfectly didn't get exactly what she said in his native language. The English translation is what might be off, not necessarily what he understood was said.

I say I am going to run to the store. I don't literally mean physically run, I mean drive my car. I don't say hey I am going to drive my car to the store do you need anything? It is just understood that I am driving my car. IF that was translated to Spanish would it be written out "I am running to the store?"... maybe, but if an English speaking person heard my statement they would know I meant driving my car.

So similar when she is saying she is there to help him and they need to help each other. I understand perfectly what that means and I think he did too. You help police by being honest and telling what you know. She is helping him by translating getting his story. If he was innocent he would have been on his way home to sleep. She didn't coerce him into saying he did something he didn't do.

My opinion of course.

I agree!

I think CBR regarded Officer Romero as a peer and they related to each other very well. In fact, I believe that CBR would agree that his attorney's translation was different than his own translation and would agree with Officer Romero's interpretation.

YES! Exactly what I was tying to say. HE understood her and that is what is most important, not the translation that might be slightly off written to English. I feel if he didn't understand, he would have asked something further regarding what she said. If that didn't happen, we have to assume he understood Why would you not ask for clarification from another native Spanish speaker if you didn't understand the intent?

What about the 11 hr interview and him being too tired. Is that going to factor in with the jury?

Unless the jury believes he was so tired he had a vision showing him where her body was hidden in those acres and acres and miles and miles of cornfields, I don’t think it’s going to matter.
The defense has talked about everything BUT the murder and his confession.

Perhaps CBR did have an Iowa DL and the witness only commented on the birth certificate. It appears the birth certificate is valid to obtain an Iowa DL.

I think the confusion here is that CBR was using false documents so the license and birth certificate were probably in names other than his true identity.

Immigration Services (USCIS) documents - Iowa DOT - Motor Vehicle Division

Yes, you need identification, such as a birth certificate to obtain a drivers license, but you would not present a birth certificate to a police officer who was questioning a vehicle in your possession. I wonder if the officer asked for an ID, which police do ask for regarding a driver's license, because your driver's license is your ID. CBR may have thought that his birth certificate was an ID. I'm pondering a possible scenario so JMO.

CBR has a long time girlfriend, whom he has a baby with. His girlfriend went to high school with Mollie, and IIRC, they were Facebook friends.
IIRC they’d been broken-up for quite a time before he became a murderer. She did show up, with the child, to one of the early court proceedings. After that, not. Iirc…

IIRC they’d been broken-up for quite a time before he became a murderer. She did show up, with the child, to one of the early court proceedings. After that, not. Iirc…
Really? I was under the impression they were on and off during that time period. But I may have him mixed up with Sierra LaMar's killer. They remind me of each other a lot for some reason.

RS&BBM
Green testifies that he was called to canvass workers at Yarrabee Farms. Said he and other agents were looking for a subject named Cristhian and a black Malibu.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial
Says in the Altima he found running shorts in the front seat and a grey pipe in the back.
@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial
So CB regularly drove the Malibu (with Mollie’s blood in the trunk) AND the Altima? What is the significance of the “grey pipe & running shorts in the back”. Are these items relevant to this crime? First I’ve heard mention of either.

So after she showed him pics of the jogger and his car from the security video, he says he went on his way (to pick up a vacuum cleaner from his Uncle in town), they take a break, he's placed into custody and then they drive to the corn field where Molly is discovered and CBR gives his confession there - what did he say in the interview after being placed into custody that led them to take the drive out to the corn field?

Why did we jump from him placed into custody to being out at the cornfield, with no explanation in between?

RS&BBM

So CB regularly drove the Malibu (with Mollie’s blood in the trunk) AND the Altima? What is the significance of the “grey pipe & running shorts in the back”. Are these items relevant to this crime? First I’ve heard mention of either.
I was wondering about the shorts and pipe too. I am not sure how they are connected.

I do remember hearing about the 2 car thing. IIRC, the Altima was a vehicle that the farm owner allowed the ranch hands to use around town.

CB also had his own car, the Malibu, but he sometimes used the farm car too.

My grandparents had a dairy farm. They had a truck and a 'farm car' they used to drive on the dirt roads between buildings etc. But kept their 'town car' far away from the farm's inner workings because it was so dirty and dusty.

Maybe he used his Malibu for trips to town but did work chores and errands in the Altima?

YES! Exactly what I was tying to say. HE understood her and that is what is most important, not the translation that might be slightly off written to English. I feel if he didn't understand, he would have asked something further regarding what she said. If that didn't happen, we have to assume he understood Why would you not ask for clarification from another native Spanish speaker if you didn't understand the intent?
I also think "peer speak" is relevant here because some Spanish words used between Officer Romero and an elder can have a different meaning. Romero and CBR understood each other in a way that I believe his attorney tried desperately to misrepresent. MOO

He stated that she smiled and waved at him.

I am an avid runner and a female. I didn't know Molly, but I know a lot of runners. I am not sure any of them would say they smile and wave at people they don't know (he stated he didn't know Molly so assuming she also then didn't know him).

Personal safety and being aware of my surroundings is a constant thought for me when I am out running or hiking alone. Something most men will never have to be concerned with or worry about is weather predators are lurking around watching while they run. When passing men jogging or on a trail or when men honk and yell out car windows it makes me nervous. If the same car passed by me 3 or more times I would definitely be on alert and I don't see myself waving or smiling or even looking directly at a vehicle that just circled back to come by again and again. I would never make eye contact or give any false impression that I was trying to "be friendly" or "engage with" anyone while I am out running alone. This isn't me trying to be rude, it's just the way life is because men will read more into these cues and I don't want to draw any more attention to the fact I am out running alone.

So maybe she did smile and wave, but my own thoughts on that are she did not especially not on the roads she was on at that time in the evening.

It's customary to wave and smile at other vehicles on country roads in the Midwest traveled predominantly by farmers.

We discussed this in English in my Sophomore year in high school. Our teacher, who had pointed out this particular gesture (hands flying up and open automatically) said it went back to a time that strangers would open their hands showing no weapons, meaning "I am friendly". Now it just means "howdy, neighbor".

It could be that he misinterpreted the gesture as meaning more. It think this is a good example of cultural differences in different parts of the country and the world.

Maybe he used his Malibu for trips to town but did work chores and errands in the Altima?
^^RSBM
Yes -- that's how CBR explained the Altima earlier and that it was driven on the farm/gravel roads. He went even further to explain that he didn't drive the Altima to town (during the period in question) because the registration was not current. I don't recall if this was challenged or not but it could easily be verified.

It's customary to wave and smile at other vehicles on country roads in the Midwest traveled predominantly by farmers.

We discussed this in English in my Sophomore year in high school. Our teacher, who had pointed out this particular gesture (hands flying up and open automatically) said it went back to a time that strangers would open their hands showing no weapons, meaning "I am friendly". Now it just means "howdy, neighbor".

It could be that he misinterpreted the gesture as meaning more. It think this is a good example of cultural differences in different parts of the country and the world.
Very true. However, I think it important to note that CBR had lived in and around Brooklyn for 7 years and he was very much aware of the gestures between the drivers, residents, etc. These are not things that take long to learn among foreigners. The reality is that CBR was a predator that acted on an innocent woman that did not accept his advances. She was not impressed with his shiny black car with chrome accessories.

Yes, you need identification, such as a birth certificate to obtain a drivers license, but you would not present a birth certificate to a police officer who was questioning a vehicle in your possession. I wonder if the officer asked for an ID, which police do ask for regarding a driver's license, because your driver's license is your ID. CBR may have thought that his birth certificate was an ID. I'm pondering a possible scenario so JMO.

No. Folks who are in the United States without proper documents, ie, illegal immigrants, are VERY aware that they do not have the correct legal documents for work authorization, or getting a Drivers license, depending on the state they live in. State of California, gives anyone a Drivers license, that clearly states, "Not for Federal Identification". Other states, require a passport, legal permanent resident card, or United States birth certificate.

Believe me, these folks all know what documents are needed. And what documents they don't have...and how to present enough documents for what they need to get done...legal or not.

He stated that she smiled and waved at him.

I am an avid runner and a female. I didn't know Molly, but I know a lot of runners. I am not sure any of them would say they smile and wave at people they don't know (he stated he didn't know Molly so assuming she also then didn't know him).

Personal safety and being aware of my surroundings is a constant thought for me when I am out running or hiking alone. Something most men will never have to be concerned with or worry about is weather predators are lurking around watching while they run. When passing men jogging or on a trail or when men honk and yell out car windows it makes me nervous. If the same car passed by me 3 or more times I would definitely be on alert and I don't see myself waving or smiling or even looking directly at a vehicle that just circled back to come by again and again. I would never make eye contact or give any false impression that I was trying to "be friendly" or "engage with" anyone while I am out running alone. This isn't me trying to be rude, it's just the way life is because men will read more into these cues and I don't want to draw any more attention to the fact I am out running alone.

So maybe she did smile and wave, but my own thoughts on that are she did not especially not on the roads she was on at that time in the evening.

Agree. Focused on the run. And if any men are around, run faster. I don't acknowledge anyone. I put on headphones, so that I "can't" hear.

Based on my experience and yours, I believe that things went down far differently than what CBR says. I surmise that he tried before to talk to Mollie, and she was definitely not interested. This made CBR angry. He took the rejection and decided to "stalk" her, without her knowledge.

I wonder if Mollie was using any route apps that are connected to her Facebook account? It would be pretty easy to see where she runs if CBR had access to that information, with locations GPS coordinates, times and dates.

Anyway, I believe that this was planned, CBR more than likely was in the area, saw Mollie, drove around to make sure no one was around and did a quick "smash and grab" throwing Mollie in the trunk. I don't believe that there was any discussion, or her slapping him. She had rejected him, and he was going to get revenge.

If she had seen him, driving around, or stopped, in a deserted area, believe me, I do not believe for a minute that she waited for him to stop his car and chat. I would have run the opposite direction while calling "911". I bet Mollie would have as well.

That is why I don't believe CBR's "story".

So after she showed him pics of the jogger and his car from the security video, he says he went on his way (to pick up a vacuum cleaner from his Uncle in town), they take a break, he's placed into custody and then they drive to the corn field where Molly is discovered and CBR gives his confession there - what did he say in the interview after being placed into custody that led them to take the drive out to the corn field?

Why did we jump from him placed into custody to being out at the cornfield, with no explanation in between?

If I remember right, I know the defense has fought tooth and nail for over a year to suppress the interview and confession. The judge did make some rulings in their favor, so I’m guessing the gap has to do with that. Of course, the evidence is admissible and that’s the important part.

I don’t know about that. He’s lived here for seven years and I don’t know any country where throwing your hand up with an open palm means “I accept your unsolicited attention and will gladly meet you for a romantic moment”.

No. Folks who are in the United States without proper documents, ie, illegal immigrants, are VERY aware that they do not have the correct legal documents for work authorization, or getting a Drivers license, depending on the state they live in. State of California, gives anyone a Drivers license, that clearly states, "Not for Federal Identification". Other states, require a passport, legal permanent resident card, or United States birth certificate.

Believe me, these folks all know what documents are needed. And what documents they don't have...and how to present enough documents for what they need to get done...legal or not.

So why did he present a birth certificate, then? What did he think that would accomplish?

So why did he present a birth certificate, then? What did he think that would accomplish?

I don't know what he was thinking. But he presented fraudulent work documents for his job, according to the employer.

"Farm officials have said Rivera presented an out-of-state photo identification and a Social Security number when he was hired in 2014, and they believed he was the person depicted in those documents until his arrest last month."

Immigrant charged in Iowa student's death was known by alias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member