Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #48

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This might seem insignificant, but why is the person on trial for Mollie’s murder allowed to have anything but a basic hair cut. The photo of him in court shows him sporting a designer hair cut.
So meant to say this earlier but have you all noticed that he will NOT wear those headphones up with the band on top of his fancy pants hair do?

(I started typing this before the other thread was closed, didn't quite make the deadline so c/p).
---

No sexual assault? Or no direct evidence of sexual assault, after five weeks of decomposition?

I’d consider her shorts and panties being found a considerable distance from her body to be circumstantial evidence of sexual assault, or certainly evidence of sexual motivation for the crime.

Agreed wary, I also think he said she felt like someone who 'just fainted' when he took her from the trunk and carried her to the cornfield so he wouldn't be thought of as having raped a corpse (since he now wants everyone to believe she was dead when he took her from the trunk and he hadn't raped her). I think from the evidence we have we can conclude he knocked her out, put her in the trunk, drove her to the cornfield, raped and then stabbed her to death.

This is the last pic of his car from the video footage at about 8:07 iirc (enlarged as much as I could get it), imo she had to have been in the trunk then, and it would have still been light when they got to the cornfield:

CBR1.jpg

Poor Molly. :(

Trying to catch up today...was working at home and watching when I could.
Two takeaways for me today
1. When they showed her shoe...omg I could see her whole leg. That poor baby. I was just stunned. Had to go outside.
2. He put a dead body in the trunk of a car the he keeps TOYS in?

just gross.. horrible unfeeling creature

This might seem insignificant, but why is the person on trial for Mollie’s murder allowed to have anything but a basic hair cut. The photo of him in court shows him sporting a designer hair cut.
So meant to say this earlier but have you all noticed that he will NOT wear those headphones up with the band on top of his fancy pants hair do?

I agree with all of the above.

I can't believe his supposedly top rated defense team allowed him to roll into court with that 'cool dude' haircut and slick goatee....he looks so full of himself.

I thought the defense was trying to paint him to be a poor, lost immigrant who was being victimised by LE, and needs the juror's help. But his hairstyle and general demeanour does not match that scenario at all.

He Appears arrogant and angry and sometimes aloof, imo.

(I started typing this before the other thread was closed, didn't quite make the deadline so c/p).
---

Agreed wary, I also think he said she felt like someone who 'just fainted' when he took her from the trunk and carried her to the cornfield so he wouldn't be thought of as having raped a corpse (since he now wants everyone to believe she was dead when he took her from the trunk and he hadn't raped her). I think from the evidence we have we can conclude he knocked her out, put her in the trunk, drove her to the cornfield, raped and then stabbed her to death.

This is the last pic of his car from the video footage at about 8:07 iirc (enlarged as much as I could get it), imo she had to have been in the trunk then, and it would have still been light when they got to the cornfield:

View attachment 298018

Poor Molly. :(

Oh Gosh I haven't thought of this.. I guess I need to see a map to better understand where this road is and how he went back and forth and then where the location of her body was. I always assumed these were closer to town and once he grabbed her, he went away from this location so I didn't realize he would have went back past with her in the trunk :(

The last post was closed and I am replying to the last comment back to me (sorry don't know how to move that over here just yet).. I guess we need to hear more about her injuries and it sounds like the ME will be testifying Monday.. but if he stabbed her many times, I would expect more blood in the trunk than what was there unless he really knows how to clean it all up. All scenarios make me just so sad for her. Either way she had to be terrified.

The last post was closed and I am replying to the last comment back to me (sorry don't know how to move that over here just yet).. I guess we need to hear more about her injuries and it sounds like the ME will be testifying Monday.. but if he stabbed her many times, I would expect more blood in the trunk than what was there unless he really knows how to clean it all up. All scenarios make me just so sad for her. Either way she had to be terrified.

I don't think all the stabbing was done in the 1st attack on her. I think he was in a big hurry to get her hidden in the trunk. He probably just hit her in the head and maybe a quick stab, to injure her, disable her somewhat.

Then when he got to the remote back road, he may have done more damage.:(

He also may have had a tarp or blanket in the trunk, which he disposed of already.

MAY 21, 2021
Who has testified in the Cristhian Bahena Rivera trial? | weareiowa.com
Wednesday, May 19
  • First witness: Blake Jack, the brother of Mollie Tibbetts’ boyfriend. He discussed when he found out Mollie was missing and how he tried to get ahold of her.
  • Second witness: Dalton Jack, Mollie’s boyfriend. He testified about dating history, relationship with Mollie, where he was when she disappeared, and states that he believes Cristhian Bahena Rivera is guilty.
  • Third witness: Deputy Matt Simpson with the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office. He described what he found at the home where Mollie was known to stay.
  • Fourth witness: Jillena Scheck, a coworker and family friend of Mollie’s. She recalled trying to get ahold of her when she didn’t show up for work.
  • Fifth witness: Christina Steward, owns a beauty salon in town. She saw Mollie running the night she disappeared and went looking for her the next day.
  • Sixth witness: Arely Nunez-Lorenzana, cousin of Cristhian Bahena Rivera. She talked about an agreement to buy him a car, a black Chevy Malibu, and their family gatherings.
Thursday, May 20
  • First witness: Deputy Steve Kivi, with the Poweshiek County Sheriff’s Office, who testified about a black Chevy Malibu caught on surveillance video, likely in the area when Mollie was running through.
  • Second witness: Logan Collins, a Brooklyn, Iowa resident whose surveillance cameras caught the Malibu driving by.
  • Third witness: Iowa DCI Agent Derek Riessen, testified about surveillance video that shows a runner and a Malibu that appears on camera multiple times.
  • Fourth witness: Special Agent Michael Fischels, with the Department of Homeland Security, canvassed the farm where Cristhian Bahena Rivera worked and spoke with him in Spanish, discussing his car and whether he knew anything about Mollie Tibbetts.
  • Fifth witness: Special Agent Scott Green, with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations, canvassed Bahena Rivera’s workplace, collected DNA samples
  • Sixth witness: Pamela Romero, former police officer, testified about Bahena Rivera leading her to the body of Mollie Tibbetts and the details he gave surrounding an interaction he had with her how the body was left in a cornfield.
Friday, May 21
  • Pamela Romero, a former Iowa City police officer, testified about Bahena Rivera leading her to the body of Mollie Tibbetts and the details he gave surrounding an interaction he had with her how the body was left in a cornfield.
  • Amy Johnson, a criminalist with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, testified it took about three hours to examine the black Chevy Malibu, with four areas on the vehicle getting tested for blood. The day after looking at the car, Johnson returned to Poweshiek County to see what is later confirmed to be Tibbetts' body.
  • Tara Scott, a criminalist in the DNA section at the Iowa State Crime Lab, testified that blood found on the trunk liners of the black Chevy Malibu matched the DNA profile of Mollie Tibbetts.
[...]

The defense hasn't laid out their Opening Arguments yet, nor have they laid out their case. But so far I am kind of underwhelmed.

They seem kind of tone deaf and not able to read the room. Like right immediately after the jury sees pictures of her body, in the dumpsite he took LE to---the defense jumps to questions about guns and knives belonging to her boyfriend and his brother. The jury knows they were in another city hours away during the murder.

And the jury knows their client confessed and had her blood in his trunk. They should be focused on shaking up those facts. Not repeatedly pointing to others who are clearly not involved. It makes them seem less credible.

I am always open to hear about crime scene contamination and LE being mistaken or having tunnel vision. Find reasonable doubt where it is reasonable. Show us others who may have had access to his car, or who he may be covering for.

But so far, they haven't made a lot of progress, in my opinion. JMO

The defense hasn't laid out their Opening Arguments yet, nor have they laid out their case. But so far I am kind of underwhelmed.

They seem kind of tone deaf and not able to read the room. Like right immediately after the jury sees pictures of her body, in the dumpsite he took LE to---the defense jumps to questions about guns and knives belonging to her boyfriend and his brother. The jury knows they were in another city hours away during the murder.

And the jury knows their client confessed and had her blood in his trunk. They should be focused on shaking up those facts. Not repeatedly pointing to others who are clearly not involved. It makes them seem less credible.

I am always open to hear about crime scene contamination and LE being mistaken or having tunnel vision. Find reasonable doubt where it is reasonable. Show us others who may have had access to his car, or who he may be covering for.

I am also underwhelmed by this defense, katy.

I think the defense showing that video this morning was a bad move on their part. I would argue that it showed CR had the opportunity to catnap, he was furnished with a meal and drink(s) and was able to freely use his cellphone. Further, I don't recall any mention that he was denied a request for counsel, and per Ms. Romero's testimony, the door was unlocked, he was shown where the exit was, and told that he could leave at any time.

What I saw was a polite and calm Spanish-speaking officer who brought CR food and developed a good enough rapport with him that they chuckled together as she told him not to get too comfortable.

Doesn't scream coerced confession to me.

I also think the defense may get away with throwing out innuendo guised as questions (I'm referring to DJ and BJ) on cross but the prosecution will annihilate them if if it goes any further than that. There is no evidence that ties either one of them to Mollie's murder. MOO

The defense may have torched their own case by using video of their client in those hours the judge had ruled inadmissible to try and show how tired CBR was and therefore falsely confessed. The prosecution, properly I think, argued the defense had opened the door to those hours and the damaging testimony with the confession. The judge agreed with the prosecution although he said he might change his mind. If that ruling stands, the prosecution should be able to demolish any defense arguments.

I'm really curious where she was when her phone stopped or when the "incident" was noted and then her phone was going 55mph down the road. Have they ever noted that on a map? How far from that place was the place he dumped her?

Also curious what his phone was doing at that time.

justtrish

Guess we will hear about his phone, and if his phone was near MT's during these times, especially when MT's phone ceased working.
Or will we find, this jerk conveniently did not carry his phone.
?? also if his phone in his car during these times?

I am so far, not even seeing any appeal issues. The defense was able to get the trial in another county. They can probably continue the "coercion" mantra, but I don't see that either. As for incapacity/incompetence for their client, he obviously understood what he did, tried to hide the evidence. He isn't the sharpest pencil in the box, but he doesn't meet the bar for borderline MR.

YES- I’ve been waiting for Ms Freese to imply DJ stole the Malibu that night- and CB accidentally left his cell pinging in the car. Or that a mystery person mailed CB a map he was instructed to follow if LE contacts him. I mean… there’s reasonable doubt and then there’s ridiculous. I know they have little to work with- but seriously- that’s as cohesive as they can bring it? I don’t think they’re going down in the high-profile attorney hall of fame. Moo

MAY 21, 2021
Suppressed Confession In Killing of Mollie Tibbetts Trial | COURT TV
KILLING OF MOLLIE TIBBETTS: "I brought you here, didn't I?"

The "confession" of #CristhianBahenaRivera was deemed inadmissible in court due to a botched reading of his rights by investigators during his interrogation.

What do YOU think? Were his statements about the killing of #MollieTibbets legally obtained?

New Disturbing Details Uncovered in Court in the Killing of Mollie Tibbetts | COURT TV
Forensic investigators testified to what was discovered at the crime scene, showing graphic photos to the jury.

I don't think all the stabbing was done in the 1st attack on her. I think he was in a big hurry to get her hidden in the trunk. He probably just hit her in the head and maybe a quick stab, to injure her, disable her somewhat.

Then when he got to the remote back road, he may have done more damage.:(

He also may have had a tarp or blanket in the trunk, which he disposed of already.
This is how I imagined it went down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members