Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #48

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shannon Moudy on Twitter
State calls Kevin Horan, supervisory special agent w/FBI.
11:21 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Chris Gothner KCCI on Twitter
Horan covers the western US from Ohio to Hawaii. @KCCINews #BahenaRiveraTrial
11:22 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Horan handles cell phone tracking for @FBI. @KCCINews
11:24 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Angenette Levy on Twitter
@FBI Supervisory Special Agent Kevin Horan on the stand. He handles all things cell phones, he says. From Ohio to Hawaii. He works out of Dayton, Ohio
Supervisory Special Agent Kevin Horan on the stand. He handles all things cell phones, he says. From Ohio to Hawaii. He works out of Dayton, Ohio
@LawCrimeNetwork

[URL='https://twitter.com/Angenette5/status/1396864440251953158']11:23 AM · May 24, 2021
·Twitter Web App[/URL]

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Agent Horan was involved in looking into cellular data of #MollieTibbetts.
11:25 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

"Essentially it's telling us a story" of what a person does, who they talk to, etc.
11:27 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Initially went through call detail records (all calls and texts.)
11:30 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Also looked at data that pointed to cell's location relative to cell towers.
11:31 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Agent Horan was looking at July 18th starting at 8 pm (the info he got on when Mollie was last seen on 385th).
11:35 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Nicole Agee on Twitter
He requested additional data beyond the initial set of records from Sprint (which would have been calls/texts). The additional data would show phone location.
@KCRG
11:32 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Nicole Agee on Twitter
Horan says he was told to review the time Mollie would've been jogging on July 18. The jury is looking at a map of the Sprint cell tower in Brooklyn and the direction of Mollie's phone. @KCRG
11:40 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Last edited:
Shannon Moudy on Twitter
Agent Horan developed a graphic showing where Mollie's phone utilized a tower between 8:15 and 8:28 pm.
11:38 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Agent Horan could pinpoint which side of the tower the phone was using. It pointed them anywhere east of that area.
11:41 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Nicole Agee on Twitter
Horan says there were “multiple hits” from Mollie’s phone to the tower in the black arc on this map. This tells him how the phone is moving. @KCRG

[URL='https://twitter.com/NicoleAgee/status/1396869696297779201']11:44 AM · May 24, 2021
·Twitter for iPhone[/URL]

Court TV live stream talking heads asked about why no kidnapping charge. The consensus was although kidnapping was legally applicable, the charge was not required and would serve only to cloud the 1st-degree murder charge (for the jurors) whereas a 2nd-degree murder charge probably would have included the kidnapping charge. MOO

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"We don't know exactly where, we know the distance" the phone is from the tower.
11:42 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

"The phone was clearly moving, it was moving in an easterly direction," Agent Horan says.
11:43 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Horan also looked at Mollie's Fitbit data. "In this case Fitbit did not have her current route" because she hadn't uploaded, which is done after a run Horan says.
11:45 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

He could use the cell data w/her previous route and say it matched her usual route in this area.
11:46 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Denise Hnytka on Twitter
Also has Mollie's FitBit records, connected to her phone. FitBit didn't have her current route, because she never completed it. So he compared this data to other routes in her history. @wqad #mollietibbetts

11:46 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Horan says using past FitBit data, #MollieTibbetts had taken this running route many times before. @KCCINews #BahenaRiveraTrial
11:45 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Red arrow shows past route. Horan says cell phone data shows #MollieTibbetts was likely taking the same route as she was before. @KCCINews #BahenaRiveraTrial

11:47 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

Last edited:
After 8:28p, Horan says we see the cell phone depart from the tower -- much farther south, 4 or 5 miles away. Arcs coming from a different sector of the tower, he says. He says speed estimate was 60mph.@KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial
11:49 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Brown: Is it accurate to say that after that time, Mollie's phone was heading 60mph+ in a southerly direction? Horan: Yes. @KCCINews
#BahenaRiveraTrial
11:50 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Shannon Moudy on Twitter
"After 8:28 pm we see the phone depart from this tower," Horan says. Mollie was running about a 10 min mile, but starting around 8:35 to nearly 9 pm, the pace picked up to 60 MPH.

Heading south this time.

Breaking for lunch now.
11:51 AM · May 24, 2021·Twitter Web App

Is it possible for CBR to look any more disinterested. He looks like he needs a nap. Maybe his attorneys should be charged with not letting him rest enough, or have enough breaks, or enough snacks.
I think he isn’t interested because he already knows what happened. Well...actually I know he knows what happened because he confessed.

(I started typing this before the other thread was closed, didn't quite make the deadline so c/p).
---

Agreed wary, I also think he said she felt like someone who 'just fainted' when he took her from the trunk and carried her to the cornfield so he wouldn't be thought of as having raped a corpse (since he now wants everyone to believe she was dead when he took her from the trunk and he hadn't raped her). I think from the evidence we have we can conclude he knocked her out, put her in the trunk, drove her to the cornfield, raped and then stabbed her to death.

This is the last pic of his car from the video footage at about 8:07 iirc (enlarged as much as I could get it), imo she had to have been in the trunk then, and it would have still been light when they got to the cornfield:

View attachment 298018

Poor Molly. :(
It was reported, in the court testimony, that was extensive decay of the pubic area, more so than the rest of the body. Bodes not well for any probative
IMO, 7-10 stab wounds would be hard to pass off as accidental. Although this defense team might try...
Oops, she fell on the pointy implement, several times, every time I tried to help her up, but my hands were so slick with blood...

Is it possible for CBR to look any more disinterested. He looks like he needs a nap. Maybe his attorneys should be charged with not letting him rest enough, or have enough breaks, or enough snacks.
I think he isn’t interested because he already knows what happened. Well...actually I know he knows what happened because he confessed.
I've long envisioned his defense reminding him daily to keep his eyes open and to not get too comfortable in his chair. :rolleyes:

It is something the Prosecution could point out in the closing arguments. CBR is sitting in this court room and looks and acts the same as he did in that interview.

MAY 24, 2021
Defense attorney focuses question on other suspects in Tibbetts’ murder « KJAN | Radio Atlantic, IA – AM 1220
[...]

... ”You didn’t find it a bit ironic that this man you’d received at least two tips on, her body was found a quarter mile from his house?” Frese asked. Vileta replied: “No, not at all.”

Agent Vileta testified that Rivera’s confession had cleared the neighbor to the field where Tibbetts had been buried under corn stalks.

THUD
t2776.gif

MAY 24, 2021
Defense attorney focuses question on other suspects in Tibbetts’ murder « KJAN | Radio Atlantic, IA – AM 1220
[...]

... ”You didn’t find it a bit ironic that this man you’d received at least two tips on, her body was found a quarter mile from his house?” Frese asked. Vileta replied: “No, not at all.”

Agent Vileta testified that Rivera’s confession had cleared the neighbor to the field where Tibbetts had been buried under corn stalks.

THUD
t2776.gif
The defense attorneys are going to talk themselves into a defamation suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth