Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now that I have had time to think, this story isn't as far fetched as I thought. I mean, it is, but it fits with the blacking out. CBR must have some semblance of a conscious. He first admitted to everything, but didn't want to talk about the details, hence the blacking out. Now he has come up with another story that pretty much also shows his guilt with the murder cut out again. He is *trying* to confess, he just can't face what he did or have his family know. Or life in prison.

What I don't get is pinning it on someone specifically (DJ..."come on Jack.) Desperate, I guess.

Now that I have had time to think, this story isn't as far fetched as I thought. I mean, it is, but it fits with the blacking out. CBR must have some semblance of a conscious. He first admitted to everything, but didn't want to talk about the details, hence the blacking out. Now he has come up with another story that pretty much also shows his guilt with the murder cut out again. He is *trying* to confess, he just can't face what he did or have his family know.

Well, I’m not sure I agree with you, but I can definitely name two participants in this trial who DON’T have any semblance of a conscience!

I think if I was the prosecution, I would have asked for him to go through the testimony again. I would have asked him to tell me exactly what happens just to make sure we are clear. Then waited for him to misspeak. I would ask for clarification for exactly when the phone and keys were taken from him. What exactly where the men wearing. Long pants and a sweater.. did they have gloves, what exactly did the mask look like. I mean hell if there are 2 masked crazy murders on the loose shouldn't we all be alarmed? I don't think he would repeat that story exactly like he did when he was being lead by his attorney.

Omg, brilliant. You're so right.

Can they call him back to the stand tomorrow?

It appears to me, the defense's story is similar to a hideously directed Made for TV movie. Complete with all the problems of the world.... The Poor Illegal Immigrant working hard for a living in America...The high school drama love-triangle, complete with snapchat sexting....The super duper mysterious Ninja stalkers/murderers, and a Black Malibu with Chrome wheels and mirrors.... Complete with the "all cops are bad" angle...insinuating a hurried arrest by incompetent and 'not the proper dialect' translators who are also racist.
Did I get it all? Geez

But, please just ignore the fact that their client BROUGHT THE POLICE TO MOLLIE'S BODY

Defense strategy: wait until the prosecution has essentially rested. Then take all the nouns in the story and jumble them together in a bowl. Make a story out of them.

As if the sweltering sweatermen give rise to reasonable doubt. As if CBR was somehow just the bookends in the story.

If CBR laid the cornstalks, then somewhere in the field, he removed her clothing.

He said she was dressed. He said he covered her. She was still covered when he led LE right to her.

No one else was there. No boyfriend, no cop, no sweatered men.

Just CBR.

The last to see her, the only one who could lead LE to her, the last to conceal her.

LWOP for him.

As for the daughter he leaves behind, may the world be kind to her and keep her safe, the way it should've been for Mollie.

JMO

Last edited:
No way does he walk free. At most a hung jury and a retrial. And a retrial would be very different now that the Prosecutor knows this story and can prepare better for it.

Good point. Thanks for pointing this out and making us feel better IF there is a mistrial. So great to have actual attorneys participating in threads. Thank you!

Can the prosecution call witnesses after the defense rests?

CBR's ex girlfriend needs to be questioned about his demeanor from the 18th till his arrest. Did he hover, was he protective of her and her daughter. Did he mentioned for them to be extra careful, did he act different than normal? Surly if his story is true he would have acted somehow different. He would have wanted to have his daughter close by, he would have told her to be careful, he would have done something if he was so afraid that these men would harm his daughter. She was called before his bombshell was dropped so the prosecution couldn't ask her about this. Fishy!
I'd be very wary of calling the ex to the stand. She could easily say YES, he told me to be careful because someone was threatening me and the baby...etc etc...She would lie for him, quite possibly. And that would be very bad.

The lawyers were obviously prepared with the questions they asked him and how organized the testimony was. He didn’t change his story and make it up on the stand. This was planned and rehearsed.
Yes. I have to walk back my comment about him pulling it out of his you know what. He did do that, but you are correct, it has ben the plan for a long time.

So my question is, why was the prosecution not ready. I get the shock...because I am shocked, but it's their job and they knew the general direction. Were the Sweatered Ninja Twins...I guess that was totally unexpected even for the prosecution?

I bet going forward they will always prepared for this...and call it something like we have...be ready for the Ninja Twin defense.

So, do you all think that it was best for the prosecution to leave it at "why would they need your help?"
Or do you think he should have gone after CBR a little bit?

I know we think it's ridiculous and no one would fall for that...but I just don't have that much confidence in many people being very smart.

As much as I wanted the State's cross of CBR to be hard-hitting, I now agree it was better not to give wings to the fantasy, and stick to restating the known facts.

CBR quickly forgot that three men were allegedly at the cornfield!

I do hope the State uses their closing statement to show how dirty (and desperate) the defense bowed to attack so many innocents without legal or moral basis to do so -- especially when they opted to put their client on the stand to tell about his fantasy, bandito, abduction.

Hoping for conviction Friday...
I agree. If they had gone full in aggressively, they would look like they buying into the ridiculous story. And bringing him up to their level. Better to just keep to the known facts.

The only thing I heard in court after the trial ended was them talking about jury instructions and closings tomorrow. Nothing about rebuttal.

Maybe the the state will try to fit in a couple in the morning?
I don't think the State will offer a rebuttal witness to CBR's outlandish 'story'. I think they'll summarize in closing arguments how preposterous it is and that the jury is smart enough to realize it themselves.

MOO

So closings are tomorrow?:eek:

All it takes is one moron to believe this ridiculous story.I am a bit nervous. The state has to do a very clear and amazing closing to overcome this pack of lies just given to the jury.

I think Dalton kind of rubs people the wrong way. I hope the jury doesn't hate him.In hindsight, the defense did an adequate job now to dirty up DJ and friends, making them scapegoats in this fantasy story.

It would be so frightening, immoral and wrong to allow this killer to walk free from this. :mad:
Have faith Katy, I have no doubt this jury will find him guilty of 1st degree and we'll never have to hear about this murderer again. :)

Honestly the witness that gives me the greatest pause is Jamie Slife. While it’s a stretch to think her testimony that she called the tip line is is at all relevant, she’s so sincere and she’s got a point. It’s one hell of a coincidence that Mollie’s remains were found in such disturbingly close proximity to the man she truly believes is responsible.

She didn't say she believes he is responsible. She was not asked that. She called in a tip, that's all. I would bet my entire savings she no longer believes her father, no matter how awful he is as a human, murdered Mollie.

I feel like the defense attorneys did this sexual abuse victim, and others, a huge disservice by dragging her into this. How many will be afraid to now come forward with tips for fear of being dragged into a trial if they are wrong?

But, these attorneys don't really seem to care all that much about sexual abuse victims anyway.

Yes. I have to walk back my comment about him pulling it out of his you know what. He did do that, but you are correct, it has ben the plan for a long time.

So my question is, why was the prosecution not ready. I get the shock...because I am shocked, but it's their job and they knew the general direction. Were the Sweatered Ninja Twins...I guess that was totally unexpected even for the prosecution?

I bet going forward they will always prepared for this...and call it something like we have...be ready for the Ninja Twin defense.

So, do you all think that it was best for the prosecution to leave it at "why would they need your help?"
Or do you think he should have gone after CBR a little bit?

I know we think it's ridiculous and no one would fall for that...but I just don't have that much confidence in many people being very smart.

As Monty Python fans know, no one expects the Sweatered Ninja Twins.

I'd be very wary of calling the ex to the stand. She could easily say YES, he told me to be careful because someone was threatening me and the baby...etc etc...She would lie for him, quite possibly. And that would be very bad.

So true! I feel if this was the defenses story then why wouldn't they ask her that on the stand when she was questioned? So many supporting pieces of his story could have been brought in if that was the truth!

Oh my, I need my coffee.

I am way behind, on my third coffee.
This is absolutely ridiculous.
If someone could post CR on the stand for me, as earlier posts don't open for me.

I wish to see his circus performance, to always recall, when folk lie.
Remember Walter Scott.
: Oh what a tangled web we weave,
when we first practise to deceive".

Waiting for Cross, to witness the 'tangled web' unravel.

If anything, the defense grilling DJ about his past infidelities only proved a pattern of behavior that shows if he wants to be with someone other than Mollie, he just does it. No need to kill her.
And if she was wanting to 'escape' the relationship, why would she be at his place dog sitting? And why would she be sending him 'good night' snap chats? She was obviously still in the relationship and so was he.

How many other cases have you heard of where the defense waits to do opening arguments? Did they need to see what the case against their client was first? I didn't watch the open argument for the defense this week, I missed it. Did they mention any of this Ludacris plot in that statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth